Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

That's almost 100% of politics in Seattle these days, good times. Can't have more housing because "it'll change the neighborhood" aka "my property value will go down because of increased supply."

Hey, at least it means you get to have creepy Enlightened Centrists telling you that also poor people and minorities are just as bad for trying to find ways to stay in the neighborhood. The ideal solution is for all major roads to be immense canyons of nameless glass boxes with yoga studios in the ground floor units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

friendbot2000 posted:

People need to stop living in suburbia anyways. We need to build up not out because population densification and walkable cities are very important to combatting carbon emissions. Plus, aren't there more houses in the United States than people living in them?

Probably not as there is unregistered amount of homeless that could maybe occupy all the unsold cookie cutter homes and you'd still need to double dip into taking every trump hotel and transforming it into a free and permanent apartment complex. But there sure as poo poo is a lot of houses and abandoned housing just sitting around, crying that millennial and Zlenials won't pay our exorbitant old people over pricing.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

friendbot2000 posted:

People need to stop living in suburbia anyways. We need to build up not out because population densification and walkable cities are very important to combatting carbon emissions. Plus, aren't there more houses in the United States than people living in them?

Ya, there are more houses, but do you want to live in a house in a small South Dakota town with only dial up internet access? Because there are reasons why no one is living there.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

An insurance deductible is the amount you have to pay out of pocket before the insurance kicks in, it's generally a yearly thing. Cheaper health insurance tends to have a higher deductible. The ACA regulated how big deductables could be removed the "donut deductible" (gonna make up numbers to explain how it worked) which meant that you would cover the first $3000, then they would cover the next $47000, then you would be on the hook for everything after that. It also banned lifetime caps which mean that insurance companies would track how they paid out over you're lifetime and if it went over like a million bucks, welp no more insurance for you.

Sorry, because I'm pretty ignorant about healthcare policy. What you're saying is the donut deductible is/was illegal under the ACA?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Mineaiki posted:

Sorry, because I'm pretty ignorant about healthcare policy. What you're saying is the donut deductible is/was illegal under the ACA?

Yes, the ACA (Obamacare) banned donut deductibles and lifetime caps

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Oooh boy. I bus from Ballard to Sodo for work and while I don't get on the 99, I'm dreading finding out how this will affect my commute.

I also curse Seattle voters in the 70s at least once a week.

I loving hate how the United States only answer to solving traffic is to expand the roads more which doesn't loving solve the problem. Studies have shown that increasing lanes to combat traffic actually increases traffic in the long run. Walkable cities, mass transit, telecommuting, and population densification are the only proven ways to lessen traffic and as a HANDY SIDE-EFFECT, limit carbon emissions. There is no earthly reason why office workers should have to go into the office every drat day when telecommuting exists.

karthun posted:

Ya, there are more houses, but do you want to live in a house in a small South Dakota town with only dial up internet access? Because there are reasons why no one is living there.

True, but we need to move away from this stupid "white-picket fence" fantasy and start building condo complexes. The Suburbian Sprawl actually hurts local economies. You consume less water and electricity in a densified environment too.

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 17, 2018

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
My dad still tries to sell me on the idea that owning a car is a symbol of freedom and boy, do I sure drive anywhere in this dead gently caress area to a non job, let me tell you. There's just so much no where to get lost in and lose any interest in travel!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I hope there's a shitload of Mueller news this week. It's probably our last chance to get it until after the new year.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Aramis posted:

You would think that explicitly calling political opponents non-humans would be a little on the nose, yet here we are.
"Chuds" aren't political opponents, they're Nazis and wannabe Nazis. This is "basket of deplorable" all over again wherein a specific sub-group of people are called out and terrrible people pretend they don't understand the concept and scream that we're calling ALL of them bad when we specified which group we were targeting.

There is nothing "political" about Nazis, proud boys, or other associated shithead: This isn't a discussion about the best way to appropriate extra municipal money collected by laws and regulation, they don't have political goals, they don't have policy ideas, they're monsters that just want people to die for the way they were born. They CHOOSE to be Chuds by removing their own humanity.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

karthun posted:

I'm not saying you want to live in rural South Dakota, but high-speed fiber internet is available all over in the most rural parts of flyover country. This is actually the industry I work in & they have been aggressively building out fiber in rural areas thanks to RUS loans.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

friendbot2000 posted:

I loving hate how the United States only answer to solving traffic is to expand the roads more which doesn't loving solve the problem. Studies have shown that increasing lanes to combat traffic actually increases traffic in the long run. Walkable cities, mass transit, telecommuting, and population densification are the only proven ways to lessen traffic and as a HANDY SIDE-EFFECT, limit carbon emissions. There is no earthly reason why office workers should have to go into the office every drat day when telecommuting exists.

True, but we need to move away from this stupid "white-picket fence" fantasy and start building condo complexes. The Suburbian Sprawl actually hurts local economies. You consume less water and electricity in a densified environment too.

Expanding transit means [underprivileged group] will be able to reach my house, though.

Anyway, I think it's great that a more liberal state has moved their primary up, but I wish it was a state with better attitudes about housing and urban development. California is great on a lot of things, but it's a step-by-step What Not To Do when it comes to planning.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

California Housing and Urban Development... CHUD?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

InsertPotPun posted:

"Chuds" aren't political opponents, they're Nazis and wannabe Nazis. This is "basket of deplorable" all over again wherein a specific sub-group of people are called out and terrrible people pretend they don't understand the concept and scream that we're calling ALL of them bad when we specified which group we were targeting.

There is nothing "political" about Nazis, proud boys, or other associated shithead: This isn't a discussion about the best way to appropriate extra municipal money collected by laws and regulation, they don't have political goals, they don't have policy ideas, they're monsters that just want people to die for the way they were born. They CHOOSE to be Chuds by removing their own humanity.

Chuds aren't even people. Maybe biologically, but that's the only sense in which they qualify.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

Nenonen posted:

Who the gently caress drew this map and what do they have against Australia?

And lol at Scandinavia.

And where’s Alaska?

I'm the lovingly rendered Chinese provinces.
[/quote]

I'm the island of Nova Scotia and the peninsula of Newfoundland

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Your Taint posted:

Chuds aren't even people. Maybe biologically, but that's the only sense in which they qualify.

They do call people with empathy NPCs and accuse liberals of having hearts with blood, and seem to crave for a lack of brain so they could be zombies in fact...

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/NegarMortazavi/status/1074686732749209601

wow that's some news, re: flynn

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Oh great, this argument again.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

The Glumslinger posted:

An insurance deductible is the amount you have to pay out of pocket before the insurance kicks in, it's generally a yearly thing. Cheaper health insurance tends to have a higher deductible. The ACA regulated how big deductables could be removed the "donut deductible" (gonna make up numbers to explain how it worked) which meant that you would cover the first $3000, then they would cover the next $47000, then you would be on the hook for everything after that. It also banned lifetime caps which mean that insurance companies would track how they paid out over you're lifetime and if it went over like a million bucks, welp no more insurance for you.
I was convinced of the wrongness of our health insurance system in the early 2000s, when someone I knew from a pregnancy forum told us the following story:

She had a preemie who only survived 9 days in the NICU. The cost of care went over a million dollars. The small business her husband worked for could no longer offer health insurance, because the insurance company raised their premiums so high. As a result they lost coverage. Since the baby's health problems were related to her pregnancy, she became uninsurable, because the risk of pregnancy complications was a pre-existing condition.

The ACA has plenty of problems, but at least it prevented this particular type of travesty from happening to people anymore.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Mineaiki posted:

Expanding transit means [underprivileged group] will be able to reach my house, though.

Anyway, I think it's great that a more liberal state has moved their primary up, but I wish it was a state with better attitudes about housing and urban development. California is great on a lot of things, but it's a step-by-step What Not To Do when it comes to planning.

I don't disagree, but hopefully that won't bleed too much into the primary since it's viewed as a more local issue. On the other hand, these kind of policies probably need to be pushed at a national level, so I guess let's just hope that the voters of California push for a green new deal style policy, and never think about how that would involve large increases in mass transit and dense housing.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Eeyo posted:

I don't disagree, but hopefully that won't bleed too much into the primary since it's viewed as a more local issue. On the other hand, these kind of policies probably need to be pushed at a national level, so I guess let's just hope that the voters of California push for a green new deal style policy, and never think about how that would involve large increases in mass transit and dense housing.

One of the odd side effects of combatting climate change will have a ton of positive developments for all manner of things in our society: transportation, housing, healthcare.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
My favorite part about Paris is the right-wing thinking it's an indictment of "leftist" Macron...

My dudes, them yellow vests are protesting rich people right now. It's a capitalism bottom-up protest and it's supported broadly by the full political spectrum.

Be afraid, chuds.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Chilichimp posted:

My favorite part about Paris is the right-wing thinking it's an indictment of "leftist" Macron...

My dudes, them yellow vests are protesting rich people right now. It's a capitalism bottom-up protest and it's supported broadly by the full political spectrum.

Be afraid, chuds.

The French have a history of disposing of the rich in very effective ways.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1074689695769133056?s=19

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

friendbot2000 posted:

There is no earthly reason why office workers should have to go into the office every drat day when telecommuting exists.

I've been fully doing this for the past 3 years in an industry where it's pretty uncommon. I mean, you'll see remote workers, but never in any higher position, and it's generally only considered freelance.
But I'm one of the new group of workers who knows how to make remote work happen, so I'm able to be in a much more senior role, handling stuff that would normally be done entirely locally, managing other employees, working with clients, etc.

It causes some consternation among clients if they find out, but we have such a broad spectrum of work that they can't really say "oh, I'm afraid the quality will suffer" when they already approved and used a ton of stuff done remotely without knowing. Especially when it costs them a little less.

Now, from a company side this gives them the opportunity to relabel a bunch of their employees as independent contractors, as they're no longer providing hardware or internet, and won't give benefits for remote workers. That is bullshit and exploited to no end, and really needs to change before we end up with a permanent 1099 economy.

Sure, I make way more than nearly anyone else with less than 5 years experience, can kinda set my own schedule, and can remove myself from industry stress. And yeah, my work has been seen by tens to hundreds of millions of people at this point.

But I don't have benefits or health insurance, and only have the support of the company behind me in the sense that I'm cheaper than an in-house employee, so they don't want to lose me.

If I really wanted to maximize my worth, I'd have to move across the country and work in-house at a place. Could easily double my pay along with all the perks and benefits. But the cities where this industry are big are not places I want to live - already lived in one of them, hated it, so I'm willing to make the trade offs for now.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

looks like the charging documents haven't been unsealed quite yet, have to wait a bit to see how the indictment describes the gulen conspiracy

https://twitter.com/lrozen/status/1074689716363112449

also this is the eastern district of virginia, not mueller

e: here

https://twitter.com/Tierney_Megan/status/1074687742645334016

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

friendbot2000 posted:

My favorite video of the last week is yellow vest Farmers just backing up their tractor closer and closer to French police and then turn on some kind of device in the back that continually flings pig poo poo at them. The police and all their vehicles just covered over in pig poo poo

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

do you know what chud means?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

this indictment makes it extremely clear michael flynn knew that the turkish government was behind the entire anti-Gulen campaign, as they quote emails sent to flynn describing conversations with Turkish ministers

selec
Sep 6, 2003

CHUD is a description of what they do; they have lost empathy by detaching from the rest of society, they live in a subterranean world that had a completely hosed mythology that continues to alienate them from above-ground society, and it causes them to only be able to interact with above-grounders with hostility, through verbal or physical attacks.

They used to be human, but constant overexposure to right wing man propaganda has twisted them into creatures unable and unwilling to remember the society they left behind and how they had a place in it.

CHUD is an idiom about self-dehumanization. It’s not similar, in this respect, to right wing dehumanization of minorities, because those people didn’t choose the things the right demonizes and dehumanizes them for. The right will call you a cockroach just for existing. The left will call you a CHUD because of things you do and say that you could choose not to do or say.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

friendbot2000 posted:

I was reading an interesting article the other week which suggested that countries that have gone through a revolution are more likely to have ones in the future. Which is why the French riot and protest all the time and the UK doesnt.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

My favorite video of the last week is yellow vest Farmers just backing up their tractor closer and closer to French police and then turn on some kind of device in the back that continually flings pig poo poo at them. The police and all their vehicles just covered over in pig poo poo

This is amazing and I wish Americans would do something similar on the regular. We need to restore the Sword of Damocles above the heads of the powerful in this country, especially corporations.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

do you know what chud means?

Probably not worth being a pedant about political slang.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol apparently the entire pitch revolved around casting Gulen as equivalent to Khomenei, "a soft spoken cleric sitting under an apple tree in Neauphle-le-Chateau in France" in 1978

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

CyberPingu posted:

I was reading an interesting article the other week which suggested that countries that have gone through a revolution are more likely to have ones in the future. Which is why the French riot and protest all the time and the UK doesnt.

I think in the case of the United States we have huffed our own farts enough about the Founding Fathers that we have essentially become an aristocratic theocracy by how we deify these men and their "perfect" Constitution and their noble Great Experiment. Go into any American History class in high school and it sounds no different than Catechism class or Bible Study.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

friendbot2000 posted:

This is amazing and I wish Americans would do something similar on the regular. We need to restore the Sword of Damocles above the heads of the powerful in this country, especially corporations.
Any Americans that throw pig poo poo at cops would be dead Americans a few seconds later, and a huge portion of the country would say they deserved it for "attacking" police.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

oh right the apple tree thing was in flynn's editorial too

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

friendbot2000 posted:

The cops would shoot you. And get away with it.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

friendbot2000 posted:

I think in the case of the United States we have huffed our own farts enough about the Founding Fathers that we have essentially become an aristocratic theocracy by how we deify these men and their "perfect" Constitution and their noble Great Experiment. Go into any American History class in high school and it sounds no different than Catechism class or Bible Study.

Only white Americans.

pseudanonymous posted:

The cops would shoot you. And get away with it.

lol, we live in a fascist police state.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I take particular pleasure in telling cops that their fancy new body cameras are recording directly to the cloud and can't be turned off. Best part of my job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
By the way, I haven't been changing the title of the thread recently because more of you fucks need to participate in the drive! If you want to make sick new title jokes maybe you should go post in that thread. :colbert: