Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I've had a coworker ghost on me before and I loving hated it because I had to pick up all her projects to make sure they got finished on time / handed off to the right people, etc etc. I didn't appreciate being left holding her bag at all. That being said, it's still not her problem. I'd appreciate it if she'd given me a confidential heads-up that she was quitting so I could prepare myself, but "At Will" works both ways and that's that. Good on her for getting out, though I think I'd have not burned quite so many bridges were it me in her shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Sundae considering the places you’ve worked I can’t quite fault her

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
We haven't had a company wide Christmas party since...we were bought out.

For the first time in 3 years though, we had a department Christmas party. It was dry. I was never so happy to not go to a party in my life.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
We have a department Xmas party on Wednesday, during business hours like Baby Jesus intended.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I don't actually know if we're having a Christmas party. I haven't heard anything about one, at any rate.

I do know that, through the grapevine, I heard that the CEO at $OLD_JOB actually got mad at this year's Thanksgiving potluck because I'd been laid off and thus wasn't there to bring the dessert I brought every year that he loved. Demanded to know why I'd been laid off in the first place. :lol:

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
We had our company Christmas party Friday night. Open bar, everybody got a $25 gift card, and I got to meet a bunch of people from the home office whom I've never met. All in all a pretty nice time.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Main office is in SoCal, I’m not traveling to LA for the company party this year. It’s cool though, when I go in January the boss and I always get drinks on the company dime anyways.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Greatbacon posted:

There was a point earlier this year where one of the guys on the business analyst side of things (I work as a programmer) was fired. We had been working with him for the better part of the year on a new feature and the first we heard of it was when me and another engineer went to slack him about something and saw his account had been deactivated.

That happened to a well-liked engineer-marketing group at a former job after investors dumped new C-levels on us. An important engineer quit in solidarity immediately, and the rest of the engineers that’d been there over two years started working on resumes. Six months later it was basically a new company, two years later they went bankrupt and fired everyone.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

a messed up horse posted:

We have a department Xmas party on Wednesday, during business hours like Baby Jesus intended.

Xmas party midweek in a very nice hotel with a semi-open bar.

Except the very nice hotel is in the middle of nowhere and too far to get a taxi to/from.

And rooms are expensive, so the only people who can afford them are the management and your dinosaur colleagues who do the same job as you, but get paid considerably more because their contracts were negotiated a decade ago.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

spog posted:

Xmas party midweek in a very nice hotel with a semi-open bar.

Except the very nice hotel is in the middle of nowhere and too far to get a taxi to/from.

And rooms are expensive, so the only people who can afford them are the management and your dinosaur colleagues who do the same job as you, but get paid considerably more because their contracts were negotiated a decade ago.

Setting this up and waiting to see who picks up DUIs is certainly a novel approach to downsizing

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

At an old company the boss informed us that we had had a bad year, so they weren't doing the regular Christmas party at a local restaurant. Never fear though, because instead of cancelling he decided to host it at his house. I think that he honestly intended this to be a good gesture on his part, but the result was that a bunch of people who have had their party and bonuses slashed got to stand around his enormous loving house with four christmas trees or something and wonder how it was possible that he couldn't just spring for two hours at a bar to keep people's spirits up.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
My gf is really really annoyed that the Christmas party is employee only, because she heard my previous employer had spouse-invited parties and they were rocking.

Last year, we got drunk in a conference room and made speeches. In that order. It was hilarious, but don’t get me wrong, it was not a place for anyone who didn’t work there.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Kyrosiris posted:

I do know that, through the grapevine, I heard that the CEO at $OLD_JOB actually got mad at this year's Thanksgiving potluck because I'd been laid off and thus wasn't there to bring the dessert I brought every year that he loved. Demanded to know why I'd been laid off in the first place. :lol:

I used to work for a company that did layoffs as a regular matter of course and the number of times poo poo like this saved peoples jobs while actual productive people got slashed was mind boggling.

The severance was pretty generous so when it eventually hit my group I grabbed that severance vs the lifeline position that was tossed my way, so I guess there are more heartless ways of handling personnel.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Several months ago I posted about how corporate took away all of the personal garbage cans at our cubes and forced everyone to use shared garbage cans in the break room as a cost saving measure. As a result, our break room garbage can ballooned into 4 garbage cans constantly surrounded by garbage because they were always overfilled. I heard the call centers were even worse.

Today, all of our garbage cans disappeared and was replaced with a single trash compactor. Certainly nothing bad could possibly happen with this.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Come to think of it, considering the out of control fly population because of all the garbage sitting around, maybe this is for the better.

Until it breaks down.

Or gets overfilled.

Or someone throws a full jug of water inside of it.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Renegret posted:

Come to think of it, considering the out of control fly population because of all the garbage sitting around, maybe this is for the better.

Until it breaks down.

Or gets overfilled.

Put a bottle of fish oil pills in it to expedite the process.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Post poste posted:

You're a monster.

I like you.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Renegret posted:

Several months ago I posted about how corporate took away all of the personal garbage cans at our cubes and forced everyone to use shared garbage cans in the break room as a cost saving measure. As a result, our break room garbage can ballooned into 4 garbage cans constantly surrounded by garbage because they were always overfilled. I heard the call centers were even worse.

I've yet to work a place with a better person to garbage can ration than 4 to 1.

its hell

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Post poste posted:

EVIL

do itttttt

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

a messed up horse posted:

:same: Ours is this afternoon and is going to be fairly lame like all our department parties. Since we're entirely publicly funded we can't use ~the taxpayer's money~ for anything not strictly work related, hence anytime we have an event you gotta pass around the collection tin and it just turns into the same in-office potluck every time. We're also bound by strict federal anti-drug policies so no alcohol period at something work related, even if we held it off hours and off site.

Not that I'm complaining about two hours of free food and no work mind you, might even get to knock off a bit early. :toot:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

This is your chance to compact everything! Does a stapler compact? Does this printer compact? I smell a youtube channel.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Slow down there bucko I'm still trying to find out if my boss will compact.

Preliminary tests say yes

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Lockback posted:

I used to work for a company that did layoffs as a regular matter of course and the number of times poo poo like this saved peoples jobs while actual productive people got slashed was mind boggling.

The severance was pretty generous so when it eventually hit my group I grabbed that severance vs the lifeline position that was tossed my way, so I guess there are more heartless ways of handling personnel.

Yeah, the layoffs when I got cut were dramatic and far-reaching, and from my friends still there that I keep tabs on, poo poo's just gotten worse because it dramatically impacted support turn-around time and stuff. Oh well, not my problem anymore, I'm making like 70% more and less miserable. It ended up being a good thing, even if the months-long job hunt was awful. :v:

Apparently they had to offer the other person in my previously two-person department like a 30% raise to keep him from just walking off the job due to the workload. (It was like a 1.75 person's worth of workload, so I guess you could squint and justify cutting me, but he's been so overworked in the last year that he's a miserable wreck.)

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Renegret posted:

Today, all of our garbage cans disappeared and was replaced with a single trash compactor. Certainly nothing bad could possibly happen with this.

:roflolmao:

We each have our own personal trash can. But, we also have to take out our own trash.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Renegret posted:

Until it breaks down.

Or gets overfilled.

No one would throw away a full jug of water. Milk on the other hand is much more plausible and will produce a nice smell.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Thomamelas posted:

No one would throw away a full jug of water. Milk on the other hand is much more plausible and will produce a nice smell.

Leave the milk in the back of a cabinet for a week first.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
1. Purchase cheap microwave.
2. Purchase whole fish.
3. Place microwave in shared space.
4. Place fish in microwave.
5. Set for 3 minutes on high.
6. When done, do not open door.
7. Place entire microwave in trash compactor.
8. Start trash compactor.
9. Leave area.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Do you guys work at home when you catch something like pink eye? Or do you just do nothing? Because I get that I’m not supposed t infect people at work, but sitting on my rear end at home while I feel more or less fine is weird. I guess I’m too used to a culture of overworking.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Renegret posted:

Until it breaks down.

Or gets overfilled.

The obvious choice is to open a can of sardines, packed in oil of course, and to toss it as the very first thing. Hopefully the oil seeps out and is crushed in to the mechanism forever tainting it.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

Do you guys work at home when you catch something like pink eye? Or do you just do nothing? Because I get that I’m not supposed t infect people at work, but sitting on my rear end at home while I feel more or less fine is weird. I guess I’m too used to a culture of overworking.

We have a shared supply of reused safety glasses. If someone comes in with pink eye, I send them right the gently caress home.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Sundae posted:

a shared supply of reused safety glasses

:stonk: whyyyyyyyyyyyy

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

On a (somewhat) more serious note, anyone have advice on dealing with colleagues that are bi-polar? Im no psychologist, but it seems like a text book description. Is being a dick esacerbated by this, or does it make you come off as an rear end in a top hat, i really have no idea. Sometimes when the person talks, its like a word salad, and gets super defensive over things that are trivial details. I know no ones perfect, but you cant be straight up nuts its an actual work place.

If someone would feel more comfortable PMing me thats an option, im not looking to go out of my way to make light of genuine issues ( i could make lots of jokes about it but actually more interested in meaningful advice.)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

:stonk: whyyyyyyyyyyyy

Because our operators are lazyyyyyyyy. That's seriously the reason.

Our EHS group gives high-quality ones away for free and also pays for prescription safety glasses if you bring in a copy of your prescription, but heaven forbid anyone get off their asses and go down to the EHS exhibit to get a pair. Instead, they keep reusing our huge, cheap, uncomfortable "guest" sets, which get wiped with IPA by our cleaning folks and put back into the bin at the end of each day. :suicide:

Last month, they had the glasses exhibit on the first floor of our building, right next to the stairs and elevator up to my floor. The operators didn't even have to go out of their way to get them and only a quarter bothered.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Vegetable posted:

If I am home I am not working, doesn't matter why I am there. If you're home but feel fine, go ahead and enjoy your life, take care of some personal projects, whatever. Don't get into the habit of working when you are out of the office, because people will start to expect it even when you do feel like poo poo.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sundae posted:

Because our operators are lazyyyyyyyy. That's seriously the reason.

Our EHS group gives high-quality ones away for free and also pays for prescription safety glasses if you bring in a copy of your prescription, but heaven forbid anyone get off their asses and go down to the EHS exhibit to get a pair. Instead, they keep reusing our huge, cheap, uncomfortable "guest" sets, which get wiped with IPA by our cleaning folks and put back into the bin at the end of each day. :suicide:

Last month, they had the glasses exhibit on the first floor of our building, right next to the stairs and elevator up to my floor. The operators didn't even have to go out of their way to get them and only a quarter bothered.

This is why I end up with three pairs in my work backpack. One found it's way into my personal backpack (which is the same model), and I leave it there in case I pick up the one without all the screwdrivers and thumb drives and end up needing eyepro.

I needed my set earlier this week, I had to go diagnose a machine in Virology. It had dropped off the network. It turns out some jackass in networking "reclaimed" the port it was using, but the other port at that location still worked.

See, in most of our labs we're trying to keep outside stuff the hell out of the labs. In the most sensitive ones you'll change shoes and put on booties. You general end up putting a booty on your shoe and then stepping over a red line painted on the floor, then donning a booty on the other foot and bringing it over the red line. In Virology, the inside is "hot", so you decontaminate on the way out. That's a fun twist, and a little unnerving. Nobody wants to be Patient Zero, especially when the local freeways are perfectly laid out for a CDC cordon around an outbreak.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Ashcans posted:

If I am home I am not working, doesn't matter why I am there. If you're home but feel fine, go ahead and enjoy your life, take care of some personal projects, whatever. Don't get into the habit of working when you are out of the office, because people will start to expect it even when you do feel like poo poo.

Nothing wrong with working from home, just gotta set expectations. "I am working from home, I will be on email/slack/whatever." "I am home sick, I will not be working and not be reachable." After you establish the rules and stick to them for god's sake, you only need the first half of each of those quotes.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

mllaneza posted:

See, in most of our labs we're trying to keep outside stuff the hell out of the labs. In the most sensitive ones you'll change shoes and put on booties. You general end up putting a booty on your shoe and then stepping over a red line painted on the floor, then donning a booty on the other foot and bringing it over the red line. In Virology, the inside is "hot", so you decontaminate on the way out. That's a fun twist, and a little unnerving. Nobody wants to be Patient Zero, especially when the local freeways are perfectly laid out for a CDC cordon around an outbreak.

When I started working in labs like that I thought it was really cool. Then the constant routine along with the "What am I potentially exposing myself to?" kinda wore on me, so now I'm in finance, where I deal with a totally different kind of blight on society :v:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

We really confuse people from other parts of campus when they come to our labs, because ours are the opposite. We don't want to keep stuff out; we want to keep it in. Our gowning is to protect you from the product instead of the product from contamination, because there's basically nothing you can do to hurt it but taking a nice breath of it will (possibly - early stage R&D) gently caress you up good and hard. So we're closer to the virology department in that regard, but for oncolytics. :haw:

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Nothing like being told by your boss that maybe it's time to start looking for a new job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Omne posted:

Nothing like being told by your boss that maybe it's time to start looking for a new job

Sorry about that man. What happened?