Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

YeahTubaMike posted:

I'm a QA engineer -- not even senior -- and I get calls from recruiters about senior software engineer positions, QA lead positions, developer positions, yadda yadda yadda. It never loving ends, and it's NEVER about a position I'm actually qualified for. gently caress.

I'm job hunting right now because, put simply, gently caress my current job. I've already had one bait and switch. Otherwise it amazes me how many companies seem to think they can get good programming talent for the salaries they're offering. I'm very good at what I do and I have strong math skills so yes, I am in fact going to laugh at somebody that offers $40K to $50K. That is, quite frankly, insulting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Inzombiac posted:

I got bleu cheese mac for lunch expecting it to be regular mac with bleu cheese crumbles.

No, it's a bleu cheese soup with noodles.
The taste and smell is AFFECTING.

Update:
I ate half of it out of desperation and now it's trying to kill me.

Holy poo poo by guuuuuuts

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Dealing with tech job recruiters is a physically painful experience and I hate it.

I've been trying to get an entry level tech job for two and a half years, though admittedly most of my problems have been with my own motivation. This last month, I've had one guy tell me he'd get back to me with possible times to schedule an interview after the first time he suggested was too short notice for me, and never got back to me.

As for silly problems:
My 5-year-old iPhone doesn't have enough hard drive space left to get the 2+ gb patches for Hearthstone, so I have to re-download the whole game every time a patch comes out. I also just got a third-party cord for it that I thought would be more sturdy than the Apple one, and now it's giving "accessory not supported" errors after only a few weeks.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
There was a bunch of stuff I wanted to get done today, but I couldn't decide on what to do first so I didn't end up doing anything. :sigh:

I mean, there's still time in the day, but if I do this I won't have time for that.. and doing that involves having to put on pants and go outside.. but I'd rather do that instead of this..

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Swear to god I now think these morons above me just like drilling holes into walls cause I just heard them use a strong rear end power drilling a wall and yell WOOOOO!!!! but they didn't hammer anything in afterwards. And they've been drilling and hammering in random spurts for about 3 years. I want them to DIE. I used to have an opera singer, then some people with a loud dog; didn't care. But loud rear end "construction work" at random hours? And an obscenely loud party going till 12am (yes I am old but I didn't call in a noise complaint until 12 cause I get being young)?

I loving hate these people.

They just drilled 3 holes, no other noise other than the WOOOOOO!!! Oops take that back now they drilled one hole into an opposite wall.

I wish their landlord would see wtf is going on up there because their walls must be completely covered in holes since it's been like 3 years and it's just consistent drilling and drilling and drilling and hammering and that's thousands of dollars in damages cause these are thick rear end brick/solid concrete walls + big rear end steel beams cause this building is old as poo poo.

Jesus if I have to rent my apartment put it's gonna be in the contract that you can't drill holes into walls unless you're gonna pay for the repairs.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 21:16 on Dec 1, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I work in a 300sq foot building with big sliding doors and it's below freezing out. Someone asked "Does it get cold in here when the doors open?"

:thunkher:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Do you mean 3000?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Queen Combat posted:

Do you mean 3000?

I used to work in a 450 SQ foot office and can easily see a 300 work space.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
They said 300 sq foot building tho. That's a shed.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Queen Combat posted:

Do you mean 3000?

It's a tiny store. Maybe not that small. My 900sq foot house is significantly bigger.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Did you mean 9000?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Ah, my bad I guess.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
FWP: Being obsolete.

Years ago I nannied for two families. As the kids grew and went to school, I wasn't needed for the daily care. But here is where they differ:

One family was a lesbian pair with their two kids. And they consider me family, I'm invited to birthday parties and housesit and we make efforts to keep in touch. They also have several other adults, family friends, now family for the kids, and I'm a godmother as well and the kids call me their aunt. I see the kids every month or so for a game day or an art day, etc.

The other family has the traditional husband and wife, and once the older kid turned 12, they stopped pretty much replying to any of my queries to take the girls out, I wasn't being paid, it was just for fun, I did the same with the other family too. Sometimes the parents did want some free time, but otherwise we'd make plans, then the day or so before they'd get canceled. Every time. Now I also found out these kids were enrolled in daily swim lessons, and on their one day off a week, they did want to come out and go to a park or have an art day with me, but they were usually overwhelmed from 6 days of school and swim. yeah, six days, Saturday was for a special school. That said I do get hit up for fundraising every time their swim team has some event. I used to go to them, but now I don't see a point.

Now obviously every family is different, but it amazes me to look back and realize how many years I was with each family, and how one still welcomes me, and the other pretty much said 'oh you're just a babysitter we don't need you anymore. BTW our kids would give anything to have a day without 12 hours of work.'

FWP: too much fiber is just as bad as not enough. I think you don't need the details.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I just realised my GP screwed up the request for the blood work I need to have done, so I'll have to take time out of my day to go see him again and have him print out the correct request.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
getting a text from my credit union that someone in another country tried to charge five hundred bucks to my credit card. so the good news is, we caught it hopefully before I went through, the bad news is that's my only credit card, and it's currently canceled, and it won't get a new one for another week or so.

Going back to the old greenbacks. So maybe this is kind of a good thing, provided I don't really really need the card, because I do notice a credit card does seem to make spending easier.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I have an interview on Friday for a job I applied to while drunk. :ohdear:

Like, I vaguely remember filling out the application online, and it's something I had been meaning to do for a few days... but that's it. I don't remember what details they asked for or what I provided, but I guess I filled out something right because they actually called me to schedule an interview. At the very least I know I got my name, phone number, and email address correct, but I'm kind of afraid to dig up my application and see what else was on there. I'm sure it's probably fine because I'm the type to obsess over getting things right when I'm drunk and shitposting, but who knows.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Smash Bros. was supposed to be delivered on Saturday, and it's Tuesday and it still hasn't showed up. WTF, Amazon?? :argh:

This is probably the first time I've ever had a problem with an order like this, and of course it's for the one game I was really looking forward to playing.

e: Got an update today. They canceled the order and gave me a refund. I guess something happened to the package in transit. Oh well, at least now I can just go to Gamestop for a copy.

DizzyBum has a new favorite as of 15:26 on Dec 12, 2018

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Everyone on Facebook is freaking out about the phony bitcoin bomb threats like they're going to die

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Bees on Wheat posted:

I have an interview on Friday for a job I applied to while drunk. :ohdear:

Like, I vaguely remember filling out the application online, and it's something I had been meaning to do for a few days... but that's it. I don't remember what details they asked for or what I provided, but I guess I filled out something right because they actually called me to schedule an interview. At the very least I know I got my name, phone number, and email address correct, but I'm kind of afraid to dig up my application and see what else was on there. I'm sure it's probably fine because I'm the type to obsess over getting things right when I'm drunk and shitposting, but who knows.

Update: Last night I drank a lot more than I was planning to because it was a friend's birthday and I was totally hungover for my interview today. Somehow I still managed to get an offer letter. I'm kind of concerned by this.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
...What's the job?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Surgeon.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Fine Print: Must be a totally rad dude or dudette to be considered for this position.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
The job is at one of the local sports arenas. Kind of applied on a whim since they have pretty flexible scheduling, and a friend of a friend was really talking it up. Somehow I came out of that interview with an offer for a shift lead position, which wasn't even what I went in for. I honestly don't know how that happened. I presume they're hiring just about anyone as long as they're not a complete loving moron, and I must have just barely passed the test.

BioEnchanted posted:

Fine Print: Must be a totally rad dude or dudette to be considered for this position.

poo poo, I guess I should give this offer letter back.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Should have gone in with a 6-pack of beer and shots, you'd be running the place.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
E: sorry, deleted because this was an "America is a third world country" post :(

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 23:41 on Dec 15, 2018

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Unsure if this counts as a FWP, I'll eat the probe if it doesn't:

Life has been a bit poo poo for me of late, and I'm lucky enough that I'm in a situation (designated driver, day off tommorow, etc) that I can get just completely and therapeutically drunk.

But I'm not that much of an idiot. Drunkenness leads to hangover, which is just a deterrent that it's making the idea of getting drunk less fun.

TLDR, I guess, is that realistic consequences to my behaviors are ruining my enjoyment of said behaviors.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

MisterBibs posted:

just completely and therapeutically drunk.

Do not go down this road.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Drinking is not therapy. Do not self-medicate with alcohol.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Granted it's GBS so there are a few shitposters but this is a legit good thread and here are the consequences of it. And what it leads to.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3844738

I'm not some AA crazy person. Just don't do it.

FWP: alcohol is too readily available, cheap, and socially acceptable, even in huge quantities.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Nvm

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 09:48 on Dec 17, 2018

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The morning shift guy left a petty-rear end note on the sign off sheet for isolation room cleanings saying I should have cleaned a room, despite it saying the Clerk started her half of the cleaning at 11:30, which is a 30 minute process and I was off at midnight.

I cant get in trouble or anything because they didnt call me to clean it because they knew I was off, but it still pisses me off that he's not only being a passive aggressive weiner, but is also clearly wrong, which also I cant point out to people without making it look like I'm the one starting poo poo.

It's a very complex kind if FWP where somehow it being nothing is more annoying than it being something :cripes:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

bunch of contractors (including me) are being let go from my current place of employment all around the same time. so now we all get to hunt for work t the same time around the holidays, which isn't nerve wracking at all, since we'll all likely be applying for the same jobs

i could have maybe sent out a few applications by now to beat the rush since i've known this would happen for a couple weeks but call it seasonal depression or something because i did not have the drive or energy to do it. instead just spent a few days updating my resume and considering applying for different positions in my field

i am just

exhausted

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

At my last job when they let go over 90% of the support staff from a similar department, I knew it was time to get the gently caress out but was also paralyzed by "oh poo poo, I don't have time to interview at other places I gotta do this job," and "ugh I don't have the energy for this."

Best of luck.

My first world problem is that a whole group of my friends and I gathered last night for a secret Santa gift exchange and while all of the gifts were thoughtful and fitting to the people they were given to, my gift was basically a gift card and then a wide array of charcuterie from Trader Joes and I want to be upset about essentially getting groceries but then who doesn't like fancy cheeses, crackers, and spread?

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

BioEnchanted posted:

Should have gone in with a 6-pack of beer and shots, you'd be running the place.

Nah, I figured I should save that for the union meeting

(oh yeah, this is apparently a union job)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I love playing rhythm games, but I am terrible at them, and not the kind of terrible that gets better with practice, either. C'est la fuckin' vie.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

Unsure if this counts as a FWP, I'll eat the probe if it doesn't:

Life has been a bit poo poo for me of late, and I'm lucky enough that I'm in a situation (designated driver, day off tommorow, etc) that I can get just completely and therapeutically drunk.

But I'm not that much of an idiot. Drunkenness leads to hangover, which is just a deterrent that it's making the idea of getting drunk less fun.

TLDR, I guess, is that realistic consequences to my behaviors are ruining my enjoyment of said behaviors.

Please stop driving the semi down this road. It's hard to turn around. My uncle was an alcoholic and my grandma always covered for him and said it was because his wife left him but sometimes I wonder if the two things weren't reversed. He's also the reason I am paranoid about a single drink because I know how I can get when I do like something, it becomes an all consuming deal for me.

FWP: I woke up usual time and hosed around and while I got my chores done, didn't do any extra things and I feel like I wasted the morning.

FWP: My good boss has his last day at work today. Work poo poo on him bad this past year and it's gonna suck with him gone.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
My car needs gas but I am lazy and then keep forgetting so now I have like no gas. The gas station next to me is the most expensive in the city so I hope I can make it to the further one, which has normal prices.m

E: Jesus Christ I HATE Christmas music. I dread this every day coming up to thanksgiving and have relief on December 26th. Just stop playing it everywhere! Why?!?!?

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 15:50 on Dec 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Thin Privilege posted:

My car needs gas but I am lazy and then keep forgetting so now I have like no gas. The gas station next to me is the most expensive in the city so I hope I can make it to the further one, which has normal prices.

So you go to the expensive one and just spend about three bucks so you have enough gas get to the one that's cheaper.