Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Let me pass on the wisdom I was told when my 401k got halved in 2008. We are young so this isn't a big deal, we have time to work and rebuild. It's actually the boomers who are victims here since they're older and their careers are winding down so feel bad for them :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Fallom posted:

My retirement accounts lost all the earnings they made over the last few years. Thanks, Mr. Trump!

We're buying a new housing and my bank asked why I was using 401k funds, and I told them because it was getting the value sucked out of them, might as well just pay the taxes and use them

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

We're buying a new housing and my bank asked why I was using 401k funds, and I told them because it was getting the value sucked out of them, might as well just pay the taxes and use them

I thought using the 401k for a home purchase was allowed?

In any case, value and earnings are separate from one another. Even if the value of your fund is down, you're still earning dividends. Fund managers typically keep money in equity when people are younger (hence the bigger ups and downs with the market), and then begin rebalancing the portfolio into fixed income via securities and bonds as someone nears retirement. In other words, it's kind of pointless to worry about the short-term value of your 401k until you're in your 50s.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Fallom posted:

My retirement accounts lost all the earnings they made over the last few years. Thanks, Mr. Trump!

Thanks for having me check in on my TSP and Roth accounts after putting them on lifecycle and auto-transfer. [With tires in my eyes] Please Mr. Trump, sir, I'm just tired of all this winning.

maffew buildings posted:

Let me pass on the wisdom I was told when my 401k got halved in 2008. We are young so this isn't a big deal, we have time to work and rebuild. It's actually the boomers who are victims here since they're older and their careers are winding down so feel bad for them :(

Don't feel bad for them. You can feel empathy toward their problems as a human, but they hosed us

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

Yeah I know not to worry or do anything silly. I mainly see my TSP and Vanguard Roth IRA as glorified savings accounts that sting me if I try to touch them, anyway.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Nick Soapdish posted:

Don't feel bad for them. You can feel empathy toward their problems as a human, but they hosed us

I was paraphrasing a boomer's words to me after i stated "you guys hosed us over"

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

One of the Center’s employees wrote an op-ed in the Washington Post about this. The title is just pure :discourse:

“I voted for Trump. Now his wall may destroy my butterfly paradise.”

This is just like those people who voted for Trump and then found out their spouse was getting deported under his new immigration push. gently caress all of you idiots- elections have consequences, as you’re so fond of saying, so maybe next time don’t vote for the aspiring neo-fascist blowhard.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Well, the wall was some buried part of the agenda; how could anyone have known about it?!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Well, the wall was some buried part of the agenda; how could anyone have known about it?!

My Trump-voting Aunt has suddenly become very concerned about her ACA-provided healthcare (in-between her posts complaining about the ongoing War on Christmas).

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Suckers. I got no investment savings put it all in my property.
Property can only go up up up!

Oh god don’t crash before I need to downsize.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1074692546759221248?s=21

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
My pension went up 2.5% 😎

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Yeah the way I look at my retirement accounts for now, is that even though they've gone down a bit because of Trump's wildride and all, I still own all of those shares. And as I continue to put money into them, I'm getting more shares for less (for now).

So inevitably when things trend back up (and honestly, if they don't, I think I'll have bigger problems to worry about), I'll have my original shares and then some increasing in value.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I'm hoarding cash

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just follow the investment pyramid and do things the smart way

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Holy crap he made multiple kidnapping deals?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I never thought leopards would eat my butterflies

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Hahaha. Retirement and investments.

I have a .357mag revolver and a box of ammo. Retirement by Rossi. It'll probably blow my hand off before my head. Yay Brazilian firearms.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
LOL if you’re planning on retirement at all.

Just work until you die like your great grandparents did.

But I don’t have kids so any investments I make are going to be spent by me on hookers and blow or passed on to my sisters to do the same.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Hahaha. Retirement and investments.

I have a .357mag revolver and a box of ammo. Retirement by Rossi. It'll probably blow my hand off before my head. Yay Brazilian firearms.

Why pay for your own gun when the police or gravity will do it for free?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I'm probably going with carbon monoxide poisoning when it's my time after I'm out of the service.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Exit bag + nitrogen. Much easier to make it look like a cardiac event for life insurance to the wife and kids.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bird food bathtub posted:

Exit bag + nitrogen. Much easier to make it look like a cardiac event for life insurance to the wife and kids.

That's my 'You survived a nuclear explosion and you are going to slowly die from radiation poisoning/burns' plan

psydude posted:

I thought using the 401k for a home purchase was allowed?

It is, but you have to either take it out as a loan or pay the taxes and just deposit the funds.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 17, 2018

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
please don't kill yourselves

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Acebuckeye13 posted:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I don't think anyone is seriously considering it. And mine is "Your dying anyways and the world is over" response, and only then if I've suffered severe radiation sickness and burns.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

If I'm dying and the world is over, I'm taking some finance douchebags or billionaires with me :gritin:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

If I'm dying and the world is over, I'm taking some finance douchebags or billionaires with me :gritin:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

now there's some positive planning for the future!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Yeah my plans are not mental health emergency situations, they're "Oh I have turbo cancer and suck at cooking meth so going Breaking Bad isn't an option."

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

N4i would you consider being tied to the front of my ferry as the dude we untie when poo poo really gets real?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

N4i would you consider being tied to the front of my ferry as the dude we untie when poo poo really gets real?

but if i'm doing that, how can i tamper with some techbro's doomsday bunker air intake :thunk:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

We can work out some kind of a contract. You can be both ferry angry man and poisoner of bunkers. Rich people have those here too!

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

but if i'm doing that, how can i tamper with some techbro's doomsday bunker air intake :thunk:

just throw my dead body in there, the beans in me will take care of them,

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

*cough*

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I'm probably gonna speedball myself after my parents are gone so my pension and stuff doesn't even matter really

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the people with 401ks would like you to not do anything that might harm the amount of value they can extract from your existence

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the people with 401ks would like you to not do anything that might harm the amount of value they can extract from your existence

so about 54 million americans then?

When did having a retirement savings account become a symbol of bourgeois decadence again?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Why wait until you're dying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

so about 54 million americans then?

When did having a retirement savings account become a symbol of bourgeois decadence again?

people tying their retirement to the value of their home is a huge problem with housing in the western world because creating affordable housing directly decreases the value of their home