Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

ShriekingMarxist posted:

I'm gonna put my chips down on RGD being an insane 4chan puppet theater for showcasing the LOONY LEFT

I dunno, are the chuds really that committed? on the one hand, they can gather enough numbers when one of their stupid subcultural celebrities is doing something, but to act independently and in such a coordinated fashion? that seems a little beyond them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

like say what you will about the austin red guard, but they went in rather intense on the things they did. they had chutzpah and cultlike enthusiasm, if regrettably and severely misdirected. that seems like a rather intense act

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
oh i meant RGA not Dallas, i didn't even know there were Red Guards in Dallas

what the gently caress is going on in Texas lol

also yeah, it's a far fetched theory, but i'm convinced there are way more deliberate bad actors than anyone would give credit for. the obvious-style socks that are named like Jamal Washington on twitter w/ an easily reverse searched black model as the avatar are nice chaff for the people smart enough to put rose emojis in their bio and, insinuate themselves into group DMs and slacks/discords, and do a lot of lowstakes water muddying to cause grief in the culture

we're talking about people who have been "trolling" online as a hobby for over a decade, if they can do it and get fluffed by a mad rabble for e-cred while doing it? oooooo babey.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

On a related note I wonder, is there like a book on the disintegration of small leftist sects? I'm sure there's plenty of auto/biographies written by people who have been part of them and wrote about individual experiences, but I wonder if anyone has ever tried to anthologize the stories of these kinds of groups somehow. they seem like they probably have a lot of real juicy drama. if that exists I want to read it

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
there aren't any in dallas as far as i'm aware and i think that was a typo

but hell if i know. i want to imagine maoism became a thing because texas is a very cruel state and is probably the most pro-landlord and anti-renter state in the union, and mao hated landlords something fierce. this might be putting too much thought into it though because i don't know if RGA did anything regarding this issue.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ShriekingMarxist posted:

oh i meant RGA not Dallas, i didn't even know there were Red Guards in Dallas

lol I was joking

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

ShriekingMarxist posted:

People's War

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

from what I've seen of RGA they're all young, scrawny latino kids with long hair. I think they could very well just be brash and stupid instead of infiltrated

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1074718594695655424

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

i say swears online posted:

from what I've seen of RGA they're all young, scrawny latino kids with long hair. I think they could very well just be brash and stupid instead of infiltrated

yeah that's part of why my first instinct is also interpersonal drama, like, someone sleeping with someone else's girlfriend level sort of thing

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

They bullied a wifebeating professor into committing suicide, which is neat

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Algund Eenboom posted:

The bullied a wifebeating professor into committing suicide, which is neat

haha what?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

THS posted:

haha what?

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
can you imagine if like in 1910 Stalin hosed Lenin's girlfriend and it ruined the October revolution

smarxist fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 17, 2018

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Unlikley...Krupskaya, despite her many virtues, was not a fan of comrade Stalin.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

its hard not to admire their pluckiness

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

GalacticAcid posted:

Unlikley...Krupskaya, despite her many virtues, was not a fan of comrade Stalin.

Clearly was being gaslit

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

THS posted:

its hard not to admire their pluckiness

I like how they quoted themselves

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

WATCH
YOUR BACK
& CHAP,O

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Dreddout posted:

I like how they quoted themselves

between them and bob avakian, is that like an american maoist thing?

Stickfigure
Sep 4, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Victory Position posted:

WATCH
YOUR BACK
& CHAP,O

I first read it as Watch your back retard and thought to myself : "They're not that bad, actually"

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Stickfigure posted:

I first read it as Watch your back retard and thought to myself : "They're not that bad, actually"

it is darkly comic to think about a grown rear end (and bad) man being bullied into committing suicide because teenagers called him a retard enough times

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Mr. Lobe posted:

between them and bob avakian, is that like an american maoist thing?

American Maoists engage in politics as performance. Mao was known for his quotations, so Maoists make quotes.

Maoism as revolutionary strategy was designed around the idea of an peasant class. Something uniquely unsuited to modern America. Meaning many American Maoists emulate Mao's recruitment strategies did to gain support. Despite not understanding the reason the CPC relied on quotations and image comics because their target audience was largely illiterate.

Maoism as an ideology in America takes the form of third worldism. Which means a mtw has to throw up their hands, nail a pigs head to a building, and wait for JDPON to save them.

Essentially the leaps of logic that lead one to embracing first world maoism entail viewing politics as spectacle rather than struggle.

they also want future generations to be inspired by their clever wordplay on Brainyquote

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

platzapS posted:

Important notice from Red Guards Austin:

lmao

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Dreddout posted:

they also want future generations to be inspired by their clever wordplay on Brainyquote

whom amongst us

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

puns are the lowest form of comedy ideology

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

so either the red guards were performance art, cops, or just all drank koolaid in some ratty east austin apartment

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

so either the red guards were performance art, cops, or just all drank koolaid in some ratty east austin apartment

or the political equivalent of a garage band that fell apart because the bassist started exchanging sexts with the lead singer's main squeeze

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
smdh if you create a Maoist sect in the U S of A and don't have a program for smashing monogamy.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

smashing monogamy by not getting laid

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Revolutionary None-ogamy.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

back when they first started they had some party where they burned infowars literature and had an address on the flyer, and it was in east austin, except it was a ratty house and not a ratty apartment

so close but no cigar muchacho

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i believe all the infowars magazines that were being distributed in coffee shops and so on around that time promptly all disappeared and never returned, so good on red guards

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Mr. Lobe posted:

I dunno, are the chuds really that committed? on the one hand, they can gather enough numbers when one of their stupid subcultural celebrities is doing something, but to act independently and in such a coordinated fashion? that seems a little beyond them

I can buy some online chuds acting independently, but not that they wouldn't immediately brag about it online everywhere they could.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

If anything shitposting at AOC from the left has worked. now she supports BDS and i dont recall any GHWB death tweet

wait she supports bds? good if true. i know tlaib does

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
i thought she did but but i must have mis-remembered. im having trouble finding anything besides her july quote where she made the same points as Omar.

quote:

“I am not a participant in the BDS movement, but I am in agreement with national organizations like the ACLU, the American Civil Liberties Union, in saying that we should at least have freedom of speech in the United States,” she said. “To ban boycotts, especially to ban forms of nonviolent protest, I don’t think is a position I am comfortable with. So while I am not a participant in the BDS movement, I respect people’s ability to express themselves through nonviolent protest.”

even with that quote a lot of the reporting around this is either "AOC Silent on BDS" or "AOC wants to destroy Israel"

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Is it legal to support BDS anymore

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1074874550553329664

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what was that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

It was his usual expert trolling but I don't remember what subject