Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Sterski posted:

Well gently caress anyone who decided to name Yuri something else I guess.

And you know, at first I thought I would just use Yuri and the others. I thought I could use their remarkable powers to benefit our nation.
Uh my name is Urmnaf.
No it's not.
No it's loving not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Making fun of Yuri for what he did in an earlier sidequest and getting a lever-action shotgun as her ultimate weapon does improve my opinion of Margarete significantly.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Most of the more forgettable characters in Shadow Hearts would have been the star of the party in a more normal JRPG.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Night10194 posted:

Most of the more forgettable characters in Shadow Hearts would have been the star of the party in a more normal JRPG.

Keith is the exception. It says something when the vampire is the most forgettable of the party.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The European party members are in fact present, but there wouldn't be much more to say about them if Halley weren't connected to Koudelka.

InfiniteDreamer
Aug 24, 2018

Mokinokaro posted:

Covenant is the second game. From the New World is the third.

I purposely avoided saying any more than I did in regards to spoilers.

Honestly,while i doubt this will happen, I hope Id or somebody else does FtNW. That's the only game in the series that hasn't had any LP and very little attention is paid to it.(on YT I could only find 1 LP) While kethryveris already did SA LPs for SH and Covenant,they never did FtNW for some reason.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

Id probably will, even if it's not until after he does the rest of the series and a pseudo sequel gets announced

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Req.Martyr posted:

Id probably will, even if it's not until after he does the rest of the series and a pseudo sequel gets announced
Don't even joke about this. :smith:

It sucks even more because nothing has come close to filling that void that the series left.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

You can think I'm joking, but DarkId's LP is what motivated my dumb rear end to finally 100% Drakengard 1. Drove me nuts but I did it. Did the same with Nier 1, not realizing for the longest time they were at all related. Then his LP came out and i devoured it. I very much not regret being in the D3 thread when Automata was announced.

DarkId is the portent of sad/mad games to come. Or if he's not, he's at least drat good at what he does. Shadowhearts getting an addition to the series is no less likely than Drakengard or Nier imo

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Req.Martyr posted:

You can think I'm joking, but DarkId's LP is what motivated my dumb rear end to finally 100% Drakengard 1. Drove me nuts but I did it.

That's an interesting takeaway from that LP.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

InfiniteDreamer posted:

Honestly,while i doubt this will happen, I hope Id or somebody else does FtNW. That's the only game in the series that hasn't had any LP and very little attention is paid to it.(on YT I could only find 1 LP) While kethryveris already did SA LPs for SH and Covenant,they never did FtNW for some reason.

A friend of mine speedruns FtNW and I am stunned to this day that he didn't get the record by default on the silly thing. Then again I think I personally know every huge fan of that game and WA4, like the 30 person target audience for XSeed's first releases were one weird internet forum I was on.

The trouble with FtNW as an LP is that the main appeal is "it's Covenant's battle system but actually kinda hard", so the LPer has to put in effort or really know the game well, but the plotty bits are... a step back shall we say.
The music is easily the best in the series though!

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

CmdrKing posted:

The trouble with FtNW as an LP is that the main appeal is "it's Covenant's battle system but actually kinda hard", so the LPer has to put in effort or really know the game well, but the plotty bits are... a step back shall we say.

Anyone who doesn't get the urge to go demon slaying when "Dead Fingers Talk" kicks in has no soul :colbert:

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

CmdrKing posted:

A friend of mine speedruns FtNW and I am stunned to this day that he didn't get the record by default on the silly thing. Then again I think I personally know every huge fan of that game and WA4, like the 30 person target audience for XSeed's first releases were one weird internet forum I was on.

Definitely! Plus it's one of the few RPGs with indigenous American representation... even if it's a bit stereotypical.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Req.Martyr posted:

Shadowhearts getting an addition to the series is no less likely than Drakengard or Nier imo

It's significantly less likely because it's actively impossible. The rights to Shadow Hearts as a series is stuck in a kind of legal purgatory and has been for years now.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

It’s also been dead for basically two full generations. Also every Drakenier sequel was a surprise until Automata hit gold and Square says it was an important franchise going forward.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

CmdrKing posted:

FTNW wasn't so hard so long as you fought most random encounters and abused the hell out of the changes Covenant made to the battle system. Because running to the same extent that would be considered normal in this one or Covenant means you won't get nearly enough Soul Energy.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Oh, god yeah. All the SH games are super broken if you start using all the crap the games give you, FtNW having easily the most of it. It requires knowing the game's little systems well and getting real good at your judgement rings, but you can totally do complete nonsense like combo buff your main attacker then straight up OHKO most bosses with a physical.
SH1 isn't THAT broken, but that Mind's Eye that's not getting used is real dumb under the right setups.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The later games have some stupidly broken poo poo but this one is pretty decent on not handing out megalixers-I'll-never-use type stuff.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Speedball posted:

The later games have some stupidly broken poo poo but this one is pretty decent on not handing out megalixers-I'll-never-use type stuff.

Instead, there are several dozen marginally different consumables to never use.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Dragonatrix posted:

It's significantly less likely because it's actively impossible. The rights to Shadow Hearts as a series is stuck in a kind of legal purgatory and has been for years now.
It's not really stuck in legal purgatory, its still owned by the original publisher, its just that all they make is pachinko machines now so the series rights are just rotting away. It's not like say No One Lives Forever where the rights are scattered across three major companies.

It'd be a miracle if we even got non-HD re-releases of the games, let alone remasters or a new game.

"Fun" fact: The last official Shadow Hearts related release was a pachinko machine.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 16, 2018

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Accordion Man posted:

"Fun" fact: The last official Shadow Hearts related release was a pachinko machine.

:ughh: Of course it was.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Gilgamesh255 posted:

:ughh: Of course it was.

Echoing the loving sentiment. God drat I can't wait to see Konami stop bastardizing their franchises. Also calling a Yu-Gi-Oh pachinko machine if one hasn't happened yet.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Kemix posted:

Echoing the loving sentiment. God drat I can't wait to see Konami stop bastardizing their franchises. Also calling a Yu-Gi-Oh pachinko machine if one hasn't happened yet.

Shadow Hearts isn't a Konami series.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Yeah Sacnoth/Nautilus made something like 7 games total. Koudelka, Shadow Hearts, and three games you never heard of.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Brainamp posted:

Shadow Hearts isn't a Konami series.

I was dunking on Konami on top of lamenting Shadow Hearts Pachinko machines.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Definitely! Plus it's one of the few RPGs with indigenous American representation... even if it's a bit stereotypical.

Everyone is stereotypical in these games to be honest. But rarely are they portrayed negatively, from what I remember. Except Creepy Massage Guy in this one.

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

Finally at present day after binging this thread. Glad to finally catch one of Id's LP's live after reading them on the LP archives for years. I'm especially glad to catch Id playing one of favorite series of all time; it's been a blast to see Id's take on this quirky little series.

Also, Id, I remember at the end of the I am Setsuna thread where you said that it was unlikely that would do another LP just because of life. Well, here we are 3 LP's later. I guess what they say is true...

No one stops. Ever.

Man, I'm going to feel like a clown if someone else already thought of that one

InfiniteDreamer
Aug 24, 2018

Kemix posted:

The sad truth is that Konami really has no incentive to stop doing it. Superbunnyhop did a video on Konami(a little after the horrible work conditions they put their employees under was found out) going into more detail. The short version is this:Konami's entire video game developing department makes a pittance compared to the real money that's found in investing in spas and... you guessed it pachinko machines. Konami shutting down their entire game division wouldn't hurt them in any way because they have that safety net so they can do that and abuse their franchises brand with no real cost to their bottom line.

A lot of Japanese companies that make video games are the same. It's kind of like no matter how much an EA game bombs,they can fall back on FIFA.Although, considering the controversy around lootboxes/MTXs and people slowly getting sick of EA, that may or may not be true for much longer.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I believe Nintendo is the only exclusively games focused dev of the big ones and even then they have the entire Pokemon franchise as a parachute.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

I believe Nintendo is the only exclusively games focused dev of the big ones and even then they have the entire Pokemon franchise as a parachute.

They also have like a decade or more cash on hand saved up. There's a reason the company lasted almost 100 years before it got into video games.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

InfiniteDreamer posted:

The sad truth is that Konami really has no incentive to stop doing it.

I dunno, the bottom falling out of the Pachinko market seemed to work pretty well :v:.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

They've been fairly generous in licensing stuff like Castlevania recently- I think they're going the Capcom route in that searing hatred of one developer made them smash up their own business for a little while.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Which developer for Capcom was that?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I dunno, the bottom falling out of the Pachinko market seemed to work pretty well :v:.

Hearing about that law change was deeply satisfying.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Illuyankas posted:

Which developer for Capcom was that?

Inafune.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Ah man dont tell me he was a jerk i like legends a bunch :(

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

ZeusCannon posted:

Ah man dont tell me he was a jerk i like legends a bunch :(

If I recall, Mighty No. 9 wasn;t exactly the smoothest release and he didn't respond super well to criticism.

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

Sgt Thud posted:

If I recall, Mighty No. 9 wasn;t exactly the smoothest release and he didn't respond super well to criticism.

Mighty Number 9 was after Inafune left Capcom. Capcom was having its searing hatred episode while Inafune was there, if I understand correctly.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

DiggleWrath posted:

Mighty Number 9 was after Inafune left Capcom. Capcom was having its searing hatred episode while Inafune was there, if I understand correctly.

I meant in the sense of Inafune being kind of a dick. Maybe I'm misinformed though.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, Inafune was kind of a dick about people leveling some well-deserved criticism about Mighty No. 9. I hope IGA doesn't go the same route with Bloodstained, but it seems so far his team is listening to the comments from the demo and beta plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

Yeah, the release of Might No. 9 was garbage, and Inafune handled it poorly. But all I was saying was Mighty No. 9 was after Inafune left Capcom, and therefore probably wasn't the reason Capcom was trashing its own business.