Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The carmine dragon is supposed to be a creature of syish too, not just a regular dragon. Makes sense that basically the head honcho of all death casters would have one.

The head hocho of empire death mages is some dude named Viggo who has to ride a horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I'm trying the new version of Lucky's Overhaul (formerly C&C) and something is super bugged with regeneration and healing effects. Regenerating units are nearly invulnerable because they heal super fast, and healing effects (notably the "when casting" heal procs from lore of vampires and nehekara) basically fully heal all the units. It's really broken, anyone else encountered this?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Not being able to pick war coordination targets as Empire in the coast beta is really cramping my style

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker

Pellisworth posted:

I'm trying the new version of Lucky's Overhaul (formerly C&C) and something is super bugged with regeneration and healing effects. Regenerating units are nearly invulnerable because they heal super fast, and healing effects (notably the "when casting" heal procs from lore of vampires and nehekara) basically fully heal all the units. It's really broken, anyone else encountered this?

I haven't noticed regular regenerating units (IE: Mournghuls/Skinwolves) being overtly tanky when properly focused with ranged or fire attacks, but I know the Nehekharan healing effect is intentionally super strong since the Tomb King skeletons are extremely glassy even by regular undead standards. The healing from Realm of Souls/Nehekharan Lore only effects their skeleton units too; anything that's a construct or Tomb King itself gets no benefit from it, and bulldozing their typical frontline trash is trivial for just about any faction.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Random question: Chaos Dorfs won't have magic resistance like their nobler brethren, right?

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Mordja posted:

Random question: Chaos Dorfs won't have magic resistance like their nobler brethren, right?

I don't know about the tabletop mechanics, but in the lore they do. Their sorcerers turn to stone as a side effect of muscling past their own resistance.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I'm excited for Chorf sorcerers for that stone mechanic. I'm imaging CA will handle it as "the more spells you cast, you'll gain armour/physical resistance but you'll lose speed/melee attack/take damage".

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Vargs posted:

Try out one of the Vortex Campaign factions. You get much clearer campaign goals than you find in Mortal Empires, so it's worth checking out. Skaven are definitely the toughest/most complex of the bunch if that's what you're looking for.
I cant say that I want that big of a challenge, I was more asking what a good transition would be. I am leading towards just saying fuckit and going for the magic frogmen that have dinosaurs despite that it will probably be a huge change in gameplay style.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I'm excited for Chorf sorcerers for that stone mechanic. I'm imaging CA will handle it as "the more spells you cast, you'll gain armour/physical resistance but you'll lose speed/melee attack/take damage".

I'm assuming they'll just have a higher base miscast chance so they're damaging themselves often when casting. That'd be the simplest way to model it.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I cant say that I want that big of a challenge, I was more asking what a good transition would be. I am leading towards just saying fuckit and going for the magic frogmen that have dinosaurs despite that it will probably be a huge change in gameplay style.

Vampire Coast and Skaven both have pretty good artillery like the Empire iirc. The vampires are pretty solid in general, Harkon or Noctilus night be a good one to try.

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker

If you own them, V.Coast are somewhat similar to Empire in battle but have an *extremely* different campaign playstyle where they can either be the usual conquer-and-paint-the-map deal or just be a nomadic people sailing the seas and making GBS threads on whoever bothers you.

In battle their frontline is genuinely disposable (you can rez them for cheap after battle) and they have an extremely shooty lineup for their core. Mortars as a tier 2 unit and 120-strong (on Ultra) handgunners mean you can shred all sorts of compositions with a relatively cheap set of boys, and the best part is your gunline won't ever rout. They'll turn to dust, but hey it's better than running and getting eaten by dogs or ungors or whatever!

And if you do go with V.Coast, I strongly recommend playing any lord besides Aranessa. They all get access to sweet magic while all she's really got going for her is being a Large Lord/Monster seeking missile. She's extremely good at that very specific task, but has the worst mount options by far and nothing else besides her nets really going for her.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Aranessa yells the hardest.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
and yells very piratey things, and has a very piratey home base. She's #1 if feeling like a pirate is a priority

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Top-tier at RETURNING TO SAR-TO-SAAA AS LEGENDS!

I wish her Vortex opening wasn't "go conquer a corner of Ulthuan", though.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

You could always go with the High Elves. They have the most straightforward mechanics of the Vortex factions, their troops are also relatively simple (and good), and Ulthuan is filthy rich.

Also, if you give Tyrion the Sword of Khaine and take his personal combat skills, he can solo whole armies.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

The magic frogman with his army of dinosaurs is the best faction hands down. However, they will also probably be the focus of the next expansion, so I'd try and hold off on them until that next expansion comes out.

Torrannor posted:

You could always go with the High Elves. They have the most straightforward mechanics of the Vortex factions, their troops are also relatively simple (and good), and Ulthuan is filthy rich.

Also, if you give Tyrion the Sword of Khaine and take his personal combat skills, he can solo whole armies.

High elves are definitely the easiest race to start with. They have powerful troops that you get access to pretty much right away, they have an incredibly strong economy and once you secure the whole island it's pretty easy to defend with just a couple of stacks which means you can send most of your stacks out to conquer the world.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Just don’t pick Teclis because his ME start is total rear end

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

SickZip posted:

Azhag doesn't ride a dragon and part of VC's identity is strong as gently caress lords.

She sticks out because she's an Empire character. Dragon-riding spell-casting Lords is something that goes on the Elves/VC/Chaos type factions where centuries old crushingly powerful characters is the norm. She's a random powerful mage in a faction that isn't noted for them who rides an especially powerful dragon in a faction that is usually noted as a having a singular regular dragon in the Imperial Zoo. Shes powerful to the point that she should be a faction important character in the lore but she has no lore and came out of nowhere.

She has a very ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL feel to her. The only way she would have remotely made sense in the context of the Empire is if she was an undercover Lahmian Vampires pretending to still be human

wow this is a lot of words to say "im a big ol grog, i take my fantasy seriously and i hate fun"

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Eh, I think it's fair to say that you like having a relatively mundane faction, one that doesn't go too hard on crazy magic and monsters and what-not, to provide a contrast to the rest of the game.

But I also think it's fair to say that Elspeth von Draken is a fun name to say, so she should be in.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I'm coming back to my old pre-VC Tyrion vortex campaign after some other gaming releases and fiddling with the vampire coast, and some weird diplomatic things happened. Teclis declared war on me when, iirc, I sent an intervention at his allies in Hexoatl some time ago. I guess I was allied with them at the time, so my reliability is still very low. We've never fought, and I've managed to get our diplomacy score to almost 100. Despite this, I still can't get a peace treaty with him, the chance being red.

Another weird thing is my relationship with Averlorn. She was aggressive early on a conquered most of Ulthuan. It's just me, her, and Yvresse now. I have the number one strength rating due to holdings elsewhere and confederating Alith Anar. Our relationship is good. What's weird is that while I'm at yellow to confederate with them, my chance to enter a trade agreement is red.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 18, 2018

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

DangerDan posted:

If you own them, V.Coast are somewhat similar to Empire in battle but have an *extremely* different campaign playstyle where they can either be the usual conquer-and-paint-the-map deal or just be a nomadic people sailing the seas and making GBS threads on whoever bothers you.

In battle their frontline is genuinely disposable (you can rez them for cheap after battle) and they have an extremely shooty lineup for their core. Mortars as a tier 2 unit and 120-strong (on Ultra) handgunners mean you can shred all sorts of compositions with a relatively cheap set of boys, and the best part is your gunline won't ever rout. They'll turn to dust, but hey it's better than running and getting eaten by dogs or ungors or whatever!

And if you do go with V.Coast, I strongly recommend playing any lord besides Aranessa. They all get access to sweet magic while all she's really got going for her is being a Large Lord/Monster seeking missile. She's extremely good at that very specific task, but has the worst mount options by far and nothing else besides her nets really going for her.

I took a few month break from WH2 because it ran poorly on my computer and I couldn't afford the Vampire Coast, but I just got a new computer and bought the new DLC so I'm about to give it a try (I did a quick custom battle and wow this game runs great now, on an SSD and with 6 more gb of video ram). Anyone got any important tips beyond this? I'm seeing a surprising amount of consternation on Reddit about bugs but it seems like I just have to opt into the beta to avoid them? I did a fresh start re: mods and right now just have the one that reduces siege tower range a little, but are there any super important ones for Vampire Coast specifically? I'm gonna do a semi-vanilla playthrough first, without C&C or anything fancy, since I feel like I never properly got to play vanilla on my dinky old computer.

Mega pumped to run a modern total war game at high settings

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Autism Sneaks posted:

wow this is a lot of words to say "im a big ol grog, i take my fantasy seriously and i hate fun"

I don't think it's tenable to call someone a grog AND voice your support for dragon riding wizards in the same sentence

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

The Crotch posted:

Eh, I think it's fair to say that you like having a relatively mundane faction, one that doesn't go too hard on crazy magic and monsters and what-not, to provide a contrast to the rest of the game.

But I also think it's fair to say that Elspeth von Draken is a fun name to say, so she should be in.

Yeah, I don't like demigryphs because I really like the aesthetic of the Empire without them. I like them being relatively mundane gun/halberd troops with some magitech, faith, and magic support and think that demigryphs go a bit against that. Similarly, Franz getting a gryphon mount is fine, because he's the goddamn emperor. He stands out. He can get a dragon. But I don't think that everyone and everything should end up on a dragon and I think it's a bit of a weakness in w2 how a ton of lords do, and I'd like the Empire to stay away from that. A lore that only she has access to is great, and a unique mount-type is fine too, but I'm just tired of drat dragons.

Also it's weird that the gun place also has the magic dragonlady, but whatever.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
Von Draken's coif makes her look more Bretonnian than Imperial. She needs a better, bigger hat.

I'm also dubious about the dragon, it does dilute the faction's identity. Give her a Griffin that's half raven and half white tiger.

ZeusJupitar fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 17, 2018

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Autism Sneaks posted:

Absolutely wrong.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

As The Empire once I have a province up to max buildings (5s for the main settlement and 3s for the lessers) do I just turn my farms into something else?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

ZeusJupitar posted:

Von Draken's coif makes her look more Bretonnian than Imperial. She needs a better, bigger hat.

I'm also dubious about the dragon, it does dilute the faction's identity. Give her a Griffin that's half raven and half white tiger.

Just give the dragon a massive cannon. Use it as a flying gun platform, I know that's what I would do if I were both in charge of Artillery City and had a dragon.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

As The Empire once I have a province up to max buildings (5s for the main settlement and 3s for the lessers) do I just turn my farms into something else?

Yeah, buildings that just give growth are completely useless once the province is at max.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah, buildings that just give growth are completely useless once the province is at max.

I got the idea from somewhere that they continue to bank growth to use in the event of a sack/raze, but that doesn't seem right now that I think of it.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Dandywalken posted:

Absolutely wrong.

nice av text

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SHISHKABOB posted:

Cool, sweet, thank you!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

ZeusJupitar posted:

I got the idea from somewhere that they continue to bank growth to use in the event of a sack/raze, but that doesn't seem right now that I think of it.

You can have up to 5 surplus population that can be used to restore a sacked/raided territory. This is also why tier 5 ports still offer growth- you might not control all the territories in the province yet, and having the T5 port makes it easier to build up the other settlements once you get them.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Some factions have settlement buildings that provide growth. And some factions have growth buildings that do little things beyond growth, like casualty replenishment or a bit of gold.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I see there's some discussion on this page even about the Vampire Coast lords, but which one would ya'll recommend starting with for the first go through? I was looking at Harkon but the bloated corpses and stuff seem like a comparatively low-quality starting roster compared to the other three, I'm thinking Noctilius or Cyclostra would be best. Cyclostra maybe for reasons mentioned on here (ocean magic, 5% physical boost)?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Frog Act posted:

I see there's some discussion on this page even about the Vampire Coast lords, but which one would ya'll recommend starting with for the first go through? I was looking at Harkon but the bloated corpses and stuff seem like a comparatively low-quality starting roster compared to the other three, I'm thinking Noctilius or Cyclostra would be best. Cyclostra maybe for reasons mentioned on here (ocean magic, 5% physical boost)?

cylostra is semi-OP but extremely fun. would recommend.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
I uuh, think Skarznik is trying to make a point here:

That sure is a lot of gobbos.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Noir89 posted:

I uuh, think Skarznik is trying to make a point here:

That sure is a lot of gobbos.

theyre all night goblin fanatics and theyre about to unleash a shitton of goblins-on-chain

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Ammanas posted:

theyre all night goblin fanatics and theyre about to unleash a shitton of goblins-on-chain

I wish, to many nasty stabby little gitz :(

Oh well, didn't count on keeping it anyway, Belegar already headed east and retook Karaz-a-Karak. :v:

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

Frog Act posted:

I started with Aranessa, having a late base miles from nowhere and the choices of elves, tomb kings, Brettonians, and lizards to raid is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Dr Christmas posted:

I'm coming back to my old pre-VC Tyrion vortex campaign after some other gaming releases and fiddling with the vampire coast, and some weird diplomatic things happened. Teclis declared war on me when, iirc, I sent an intervention at his allies in Hexoatl some time ago. I guess I was allied with them at the time, so my reliability is still very low. We've never fought, and I've managed to get our diplomacy score to almost 100. Despite this, I still can't get a peace treaty with him, the chance being red.

Another weird thing is my relationship with Averlorn. She was aggressive early on a conquered most of Ulthuan. It's just me, her, and Yvresse now. I have the number one strength rating due to holdings elsewhere and confederating Alith Anar. Our relationship is good. What's weird is that while I'm at yellow to confederate with them, my chance to enter a trade agreement is red.

If your reliability is very low, no one will accept any kind of diplomatic offers you put forward. It's particularly egregious when you make peace with skavens, then one of their military allies declares war on you and drags them back into a war with you and you get penalized for breaking a treaty.