Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Everyone should read this book for the history of western criminal punishment.

https://books.google.com/books/about/Eye_for_an_Eye.html?id=_RMiOXoLnncC&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button

Jail is fine punishment.

Jail for racist or poverty reasons is crap. The major systemic problem is largely the corporate fiction that allows white collar (“white”) criminals to conduct massive crime and fraud without the threat of punishment. This is not an accident as it reinforces the primary goal of English common law, property protection. Once society espoused legal equality and the body politic grew to include women and minorities, the law created a fiction to keep white males from suffering consequences for their actions.

HTH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
I’ll check it out.

Question: do you think more (and more aggressive) prosecution of white collar crimes and actual incarceration would help? I can get behind that. Jeff Skilling was way worse for society than some dude selling ounces of weed.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 17, 2018

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
White collar criminals generally have a lot longer to plan and execute their crimes, and they usually require more work than following the law because of the attempts made at hiding behavior. In my personal opinion, criminals who commit "money" crimes are more culpable and worse than a lot of other "emotional" crimes. General deterrence probably actually works with white collar.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Agreed.

While we are recommending books, snakes in suits is a good read. Deals with psychopathic behaviors in the corporate world. Easy read too. Got through it on a plane.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I'll recommend Why They Do It, which is an excellent book about white collar crime. It asks the important question of why someone making twent million a year with a corporate credit card would steal a paltry million or two and risk going to jail for a decade.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

ActusRhesus posted:

Agreed.

While we are recommending books, snakes in suits is a good read. Deals with psychopathic behaviors in the corporate world. Easy read too. Got through it on a plane.

I have had it with these motherfucking Snakes in Suits on this motherfucking plane!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Retribution is less obviously necessary (or moral) but some people obviously need it and I’ve never been in the shoes of a victimized person or family so I can’t judge. However I don’t think it’s the government’s job to satisfy some people’s urge to see blood Hammurabi style.

Look, if the government's going to kill your son if you build a lovely house, you're going to be drat sure to not cut any corners on construction.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Depends on how much you like your son.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
What if your son is also a carpenter, but a really lovely one that actually just stands around talking all day and curing people of illnesses and is also Jesus? Because they can kill him, but it won't take so you're really free to neglect your rear end off and he wasn't doing much good for the business anyway. Basically the worst part is that the Holy Spirit is gonna go on nagging about it for weeks on end.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

The best part will be not having to deal with the brat screaming “you’re not my real dad!” All the time.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

Just specific deterrence. Ie if I remove you from society, you can’t do this any more.

You’re thinking of incapacitation. :colbert:

I’d say specific deterrence works on (some) drunk drivers, which is probably where the justice system saves the most lives anyway.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

yronic heroism posted:

You’re thinking of incapacitation. :colbert:

I’d say specific deterrence works on (some) drunk drivers, which is probably where the justice system saves the most lives anyway.

Our law school taught it as specific deterrence. *shrug*

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Lol I’m reviewing :kav: ‘s medical records

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Sat in on some hearings for the sandy hook parents v Alex Jones lawsuit today. Jones is a douche. Infowarz sucks rear end. But when plaintiff’s lawyer opened her argument by naming every single dead child of the suing parties I kinda wanted to puke. Save it for the jury, lady.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Take it to Gab.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Gab?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

it's twitter for people who think ordinary twitter doesn't have quite enough racists or nazis

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

It's alt-right Twitter.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Look Sir Droids posted:

It's alt-right Twitter.

you're thinking of regular twitter

gab is alt-reich twitter

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

I can find the issues in the case interesting and still think the defendant is a dickwad.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Lol I’m reviewing :kav: ‘s medical records

Where's this from?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I could tell you but that would violate HIPAA so then I'd have to kill you

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I could tell you but that would violate HIPAA so then I'd have to kill you

Uh, I think you've got that reversed

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Take it to Gab.

lol

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

ActusRhesus posted:

Sat in on some hearings for the sandy hook parents v Alex Jones lawsuit today. Jones is a douche. Infowarz sucks rear end. But when plaintiff’s lawyer opened her argument by naming every single dead child of the suing parties I kinda wanted to puke. Save it for the jury, lady.

This kind of thing is most frustrating because it doesn’t work 90% of the time. But every now and then you get a judge who’ll let you get away with some bizarre crap and maybe that’s the bizarre crap the judge wants?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

The judge in this case wasn’t really phased by it one way or another.

I just felt watching it like “we’re all adults here. We all know this was an unspeakable tragedy and the defendant is a complete shitbag. So can we get to the discovery questions?”

But I was just there out of curiosity and Bc one of my pals was arguing the motion. Lunch to follow.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Might as well ask the pal why they think it happened, then? Perhaps P's attorney was affected by the case, or it was something the clients expected?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I would guess it was pandering to their clients.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

ActusRhesus posted:

The judge in this case wasn’t really phased [sic] by it one way or another.

I just felt watching it like “we’re all adults here. We all know this was an unspeakable tragedy and the defendant is a complete shitbag. So can we get to the discovery questions?”

But I was just there out of curiosity and Bc one of my pals was arguing the motion. Lunch to follow.

Let me guess... You're going to start all that 'appointed judges' crazytalk now, aren't you?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Clients weren’t present. If they had been that would have made total sense. No media either. Just a judge and a roomful of unrelated lawyers.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

I would guess it was pandering to their clients.

This was my guess, 100%

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Lawyers? Grandstanding? Well I never

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Even when the client isn’t there?

We have a private defense attorney we get along with who we know will put on the dog and pony show and bang the table when his client is around. But when it’s just us he chills out.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

ActusRhesus posted:

It's not a lie...if you believe it.

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

Discendo Vox posted:

Might as well ask the pal why they think it happened, then? Perhaps P's attorney was affected by the case, or it was something the clients expected?

Judges aren't robots, appealing to their emotions can be a winning tactic. Especially when they're elected. We had a similar stunt pulled on us when plaintiff's counsel invited (non-party) mass shooting survivors to give statements in a hearing regarding public records related to the mass shooting. After having his heart-strings yanked for a while, the judge gave plaintiff unconstitutional relief in an order which was subsequently vacated by the state supreme court.

Unamuno fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 17, 2018

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

ActusRhesus posted:

Clients weren’t present. If they had been that would have made total sense. No media either. Just a judge and a roomful of unrelated lawyers.

Lawyers who do that poo poo with no client to impress are hilarious to me. What must it be like to actually care about your job i wonder

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Unamuno posted:

Judges aren't robots, appealing to their emotions can be a winning tactic. Especially when they're elected.

Also TBH it might just have been a “gently caress you for defending these shitbags” at Jones’ counsel.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

ActusRhesus posted:

We have a private defense attorney we get along with who we know will put on the dog and pony show and bang the table when his client is around. But when it’s just us he chills out.

Yeah, the majority of the time the dog and pony show only comes out when the client pulls the "Why aren't you fighting for me?" stuff and you smell the potential bar complaint just beyond the horizon.

Of course that guy gets paid explicitly to do the dog and pony show.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Round 2, Part 1 of everyone's favourite fictional-lawyer-rating tournament: https://www.agpllp.ca/all-time-best-fictional-lawyer-round-2-part-1/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Soothing Vapors posted:

Lawyers who do that poo poo with no client to impress are hilarious to me. What must it be like to actually care about your job i wonder

It doesn't mean you care about your job, it means you suck at it and want a shortcut to better results.