Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The Iron Rose posted:

so about 54 million americans then?

When did having a retirement savings account become a symbol of bourgeois decadence again?

When making enough to save / stay out of debt became abnormal instead of expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

people tying their retirement to the value of their home is a huge problem with housing in the western world because creating affordable housing directly decreases the value of their home

Putting assets in real estate for retirement is entirely orthogonal to putting your 18.5k every year into what amounts to a tax free savings account.

That Works posted:

When making enough to save / stay out of debt became abnormal instead of expected.

This on the contrary makes a much better point regarding retirement savings and the what - $400 most American households have in savings? You wanna make the point that it's horrific how only a third of eligible working Americans can afford to/contribute to their 401ks then I'm all on board, but that doesn't make a third of the workforce bougie fat cats.

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment
sure are a lot of people itt who think they’ll outlive the impending forced labor at the ocasio-cortez© uranium mines

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

The Iron Rose posted:

When did having a retirement savings account become a symbol of bourgeois decadence again?

The median 401k balance is like $18k, which would generate retirement income of .... $100/month if you're lucky? 54m Americans may have 401ks, but the number who can expect to draw significant income from them relative to other sources like social security is far, far lower. For most people the movements of the stock market are just noise except to the extent they're indicative of the underlying economy.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
And it gets more dire when you look at savings vs cost of living or look at things like savings for any demo other than white or Asian American.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

people tying their retirement to the value of their home is a huge problem with housing in the western world because creating affordable housing directly decreases the value of their home

Which is loving hilarious given that with a 30 year mortgage you're basically paying double the sale price once interest is factored in, not to mention maintenance, insurance, and taxes. Like unless you're specifically investing in a house as a rental, homeownership is a terrible investment.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

psydude posted:

Which is loving hilarious given that with a 30 year mortgage you're basically paying double the sale price once interest is factored in, not to mention maintenance, insurance, and taxes. Like unless you're specifically investing in a house as a rental, homeownership is a terrible investment.

Yup:

https://jlcollinsnh.com/2013/05/29/why-your-house-is-a-terrible-investment/

quote:

To be (a) really terrible (investment):

It should be not just an initial, but if we do it right, a relentlessly ongoing drain on the cash reserves of the owner.

It should be illiquid. We’ll make it something that takes weeks, no – wait – even better, months of time and effort to buy or sell.

It should be expensive to buy and sell. We’ll add very high transaction costs. Let’s say 5% commissions on the deal, coming and going.

It should be complex to buy or sell. That way we can ladle on lots of extra fees and reports and documents we can charge for.

It should generate low returns. Certainly no more than the inflation rate. Maybe a bit less.

It should be leveraged! Oh, oh this one is great! This is how we’ll get people to swallow those low returns! If the price goes up a little bit, leverage will magnify this and people will convince themselves it’s actually a good investment! Nah, don’t worry about it. Most will never even consider that leverage is also very high risk and could just as easily wipe them out.

It should be mortgaged! Another beauty of leverage. We can charge interest on the loans. Yep, and with just a little more effort we should easily be able to persuade people who buy this thing to borrow money against it more than once.

It should be unproductive. While we’re talking about interest, let’s be sure this investment we are creating never pays any. No dividends either, of course.

It should be immobile. If we can fix it to one geographical spot we can be sure at any given time only a tiny group of potential buyers for it will exist. Sometimes and in some places, none at all!

It should be subject to the fortunes of one country, one state, one city, one town…No! One neighborhood! Imagine if our investment could somehow tie its owner to the fate of one narrow location. The risk could be enormous! A plant closes. A street gang moves in. A government goes crazy with taxes. An environmental disaster happens nearby. We could have an investment that not only crushes it’s owner’s net worth, but does so even as they are losing their job and income!

It should be something that locks its owner in one geographical area. That’ll limit their options and keep ’em docile for their employers!

It should be expensive. Ideally we’ll make it so expensive that it will represent a disproportionate percentage of a person’s net worth. Nothing like squeezing out diversification to increase risk!

It should be expensive to own, too! Let’s make sure this investment requires an endless parade of repairs and maintenance without which it will crumble into dust.

It should be fragile and easily damaged by weather, fire, vandalism and the like! Now we can add-on expensive insurance to cover these risks. Making sure, of course, that the bad things that are most likely to happen aren’t actually covered. Don’t worry, we’ll bury that in the fine print or maybe just charge extra for it.

It should be heavily taxed, too! Let’s get the Feds in on this. If it should go up in value, we’ll go ahead and tax that gain. If it goes down in value should we offer a balancing tax deduction on the loss like with other investments? Nah.

It should be taxed even more! Let’s not forget our state and local governments. Why wait till this investment is sold? Unlike other investments, let’s tax it each and every year. Oh, and let’s raise those taxes anytime it goes up in value. Lower them when it goes down? Don’t be silly.

It should be something you can never really own. Since we are going to give the government the power to tax this investment every year, “owning” it will be just like sharecropping. We’ll let them work it, maintain it, pay all the cost associated with it and, as long as they pay their annual rent (oops, I mean taxes) we’ll let ’em stay in it. Unless we decide we want it.

For that, we’ll make it subject to eminent domain. You know, in case we decide that instead of getting our rent (drat! I mean taxes) we’d rather just take it away from them.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I'm gonna steal the father in law's Eagle E-type and go on the fury road, shiny and chrome.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

MA-Horus posted:

I'm gonna steal the father in law's Eagle E-type and go on the fury road, shiny and chrome.

I got a 65 mercury and I'm ok with cannibalism so see you in the wastelands.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Only diesel cars will be capable of riding the roads post-apocalypse. It'll be 1980s Mercedes Diesels riding shiny and chrome :colbert:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Read this for a real depressing look at the state of retirement, savings, pensions, etc. poo poo is hosed.

https://www.epi.org/publication/retirement-in-america/#charts

There’s an argument to be made that conspicuous consumption of things like cars etc has largely been replaced by less conspicuous, but still very expensive stuff: education, decent healthcare, retirement savings.

And it’s easy not to feel like a fat cat when you spend on those rather than a luxury car.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

The Iron Rose posted:

when we stopped paying workers an actual living wage so executives could pump up the stock price for their own good.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

The thing is you don't have a choice about paying for a place to live. All else being equal between buying and renting, buying tends to be financially advantageous after 3-5 years although you shoulder far more of the risk than a renter. On the other hand buying more house than you would otherwise because "it's an investment" or "I'm building equity" is generally a poor decision.

Real property is also about the only "investment" that allows non-professionals to take on significant leverage. Again, more risk, but that means that in an environment of generally increasing values (like, say, 1946-2007) it allows homeowners to see more gains than they would otherwise.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 17, 2018

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
we've only spent the entire 35 years of my life beating into the heads of every person in America that home ownership is the cornerstone of the American dream and its also a great investment and you should do everything possible to get in on it. oh yeah if you dont make enough just take out every student loan possible to get an education because this recent WSJ article said you can get a job coding and make lots of money!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Proud Christian Mom posted:

we've only spent the entire 35 years of my life beating into the heads of every person in America that home ownership is the cornerstone of the American dream and its also a great investment and you should do everything possible to get in on it. oh yeah if you dont make enough just take out every student loan possible to get an education because this recent WSJ article said you can get a job coding and make lots of money!

Its worth mentioning that companies are starting to recognize that coders are just as talented without a degree, and are hiring/training coders straight out of high school now.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

please don't kill yourselves

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Its worth mentioning that companies are starting to recognize that coders are just as talented without a degree, and are hiring/training coders straight out of high school now.

I think a lot of schools recognize this as well and offer “coding boot camps” for full stack development. I know a number of public schools that offer 20-24 week programs then straight job placement.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
There's a big difference between understanding the underlying mathematical concepts behind programming and learning some Java in a couple weeks.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Woof Blitzer posted:

There's a big difference between understanding the underlying mathematical concepts behind programming and learning some Java in a couple weeks.

Not to mention all of the other stuff behind development - software engineering, project management, QA/QC, product management, localization. Programming is like 15% of it.

Those bootcamps can be a good pipeline to an entry level job, but "Skip college, do software!" is taking a pretty reductionist view of a fairly complex industry.

psydude fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 17, 2018

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
My high school had a computer coding class, I was so excited to sign up for it, but then I got there and it was a class to learn microsoft works.

I got yelled at for accidentally taking the diskette I got issued home with me on the first day.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

If I'm dying and the world is over, I'm taking some finance douchebags or billionaires with me :gritin:

This but if I'm diagnosed with any kind of cancer not really worth fighting.

Don't worry, killing myself isn't on my five year plan.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 17, 2018

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If I ever get told I’m terminal I’m just gonna hang on to my family as long as I can, and probably try to rebuild all the bridges I’ve burned that I regret, but not to the detriment of spending time with my family. I’ve done enough killing, we all die eventually- so I have no fantasies about killing the rich. They’re just as dead as me eventually, and they don’t get to take their money and possessions with them anymore than I do.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

psydude posted:

Not to mention all of the other stuff behind development - software engineering, project management, QA/QC, product management, localization. Programming is like 15% of it.

Those bootcamps can be a good pipeline to an entry level job, but "Skip college, do software!" is taking a pretty reductionist view of a fairly complex industry.

Most of that stuff is orthogonal to a CS degree anyways. Its like expecting a degree in physics to build a bridge.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

psydude posted:

Project Management is largely being pushed off on PMs, QA/QC is a joke even with college programmers.

Seriously, I've worked as a System Engineer with large software development teams, QA/QC is generally a mess even with college level Software Engineers, and they generally want nothing to do with managing their own project.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I love hiw Rage Against The Machine stays loving relevant.

Im gonna blast Down Rodeo when the guillotine happens

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The main thing as an industry matures is that you discover the absolute minimum level of qualification necessary to perform a work unit. You don't need a rockstar 170k cash / 400k options programmer loving around when you can hire three people at 40k/yr and get the same result. You still need that top talent, absolutely positively, but you need it for jobs that require that only that expertise can bring.

Software is going to devolve the same way that medicine did the decades before, the same way that mechanics did the century before.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Vasudus posted:

The main thing as an industry matures is that you discover the absolute minimum level of qualification necessary to perform a work unit. You don't need a rockstar 170k cash / 400k options programmer loving around when you can hire three people at 40k/yr and get the same result. You still need that top talent, absolutely positively, but you need it for jobs that require that only that expertise can bring.

Software is going to devolve the same way that medicine did the decades before, the same way that mechanics did the century before.

the thing, tho, is that there is no actual operations in software
you build it, thats it. copying is basically free. even peeps who are basically said to be operators, sysadmins, are janitoring the machines, not doing the work, the machines actually do the work

that means that too many cooks deffo spoil the broth. its why many attempts to try to use sweatshops to produce good software fuckin explodes. its because everyone involved is designing

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you build it, thats it. copying is basically free. even peeps who are basically said to be operators, sysadmins, are janitoring the machines, not doing the work, the machines actually do the work

that means that too many cooks deffo spoil the broth. its why many attempts to try to use sweatshops to produce good software fuckin explodes. its because everyone involved is designing

Not so much with cloud anymore, a lot of Development Operations is automating the product chain and deployment cycle. There is a lot of cross over.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
In that case you (as an industry or company) would have your top tier people design and implement the process, and then you leave a custodial staff to maintain it until significant changes come about. It's the same in a lot of industries. You always need *someone* to keep the lights on.

All those coding bootcamp programs and stuff are designed to depress the wages of the highly paid programmers that don't *need* to be highly paid if there were more people to draw from.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Vasudus posted:

In that case you (as an industry or company) would have your top tier people design and implement the process, and then you leave a custodial staff to maintain it until significant changes come about. It's the same in a lot of industries. You always need *someone* to keep the lights on.

All those coding bootcamp programs and stuff are designed to depress the wages of the highly paid programmers that don't *need* to be highly paid if there were more people to draw from.

the custodial staff wages have also doubled or tripled in the last 10 years

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

the custodial staff wages have also doubled or tripled in the last 10 years

Because entire departments are becoming one or two guys

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Back before I took my current job I was offered a job with SAP. I would undergo a 2 month all expenses paid boot camp (you lived in a hotel and poo poo) to learn SAP Hana and all that poo poo, forgot what it's called. They were going to then send me somewhere (location TBD) for 42k/yr to maintain the SAP system for a company. Small companies would get one guy, larger companies get more. We would be the custodial staff that would come in after the highly prized integration people did their job and hosed off. The only requirement was to have a 4 year degree, be a US citizen, and have a clean criminal record.

I almost took it too, because I was making 1k/month at my no-profit shelter that I was working at.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Because entire departments are becoming one or two guys

it sure aint depressin wages tho

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Third guy is prolly depressed.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah our development team runs pretty lean, with people working exactly as you said. I'm trying to get them to hire an entry level guy to work with me on integrating third party platforms into the product, but even that is going to take a fair level of autonomy.

I think it's because the talent pool was never exhausted to begin with. Even though managed services/outsourced maintenance contracts/whatever have become the standard across the industry, there's still a large net deficit of experienced and qualified people. So while Dimension Data or AT&T might replace 1000 in-house positions with 300 positions working at their MSS SOC, they're still competing for the same 100 people as everyone else.

So the primary driver (aside from saving on maintaining physical infrastructure) isn't labor costs, it's that it's loving impossible to find anyone to fill the job to begin with. Might as well pay another company to make it their problem instead.

psydude fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 17, 2018

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Vasudus posted:

Back before I took my current job I was offered a job with SAP. I would undergo a 2 month all expenses paid boot camp (you lived in a hotel and poo poo) to learn SAP Hana and all that poo poo, forgot what it's called. They were going to then send me somewhere (location TBD) for 42k/yr to maintain the SAP system for a company. Small companies would get one guy, larger companies get more. We would be the custodial staff that would come in after the highly prized integration people did their job and hosed off. The only requirement was to have a 4 year degree, be a US citizen, and have a clean criminal record.

I almost took it too, because I was making 1k/month at my no-profit shelter that I was working at.

I am transitioning from SAP HR module implementation to clinical therapy. S4/Hana might get you a bit more life but on premise SAP was a dying industry to break into with so many colleagues who all got experience during huge projects that paid $Texas while I was floating at sea

Edit: Hilarious that they'd salary you for that low since they probably bill out 3-4x that

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 17, 2018

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nick Soapdish posted:

I am transitioning from SAP HR module implementation to clinical therapy. S4/Hana might get you a bit more life but on premise SAP was a dying industry to break into with so many colleagues who all got experience during huge projects that paid $Texas while I was floating at sea

Edit: Hilarious that they'd salary you for that low since they probably bill out 3-4x that

Welcome to capitalism

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

psydude posted:

So the primary driver (aside from saving on maintaining physical infrastructure) isn't labor costs, it's that it's loving impossible to find anyone to fill the job to begin with.

Recruiting is a train wreck where the safest thing is to set standards so high thats its impossible to hire anyone. Hence you get interviews where candidates are asked "how many piano tuners are there in manhattan" and then to implement a tree traversal on a white board neither of which have anything to do with your actual job.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

hobbesmaster posted:

Recruiting is a train wreck where the safest thing is to set standards so high thats its impossible to hire anyone. Hence you get interviews where candidates are asked "how many piano tuners are there in manhattan" and then to implement a tree traversal on a white board neither of which have anything to do with your actual job.

These are an attempt to create class barriers, so fewer people good enough for the job but not good enough for Stanford get this generation's surprise ticket to professional wealth. They seem comical and counterproductive now, but in a few years they'll be replaced with machine learning algorithms that will be able to reject 500 people with black-sounding nameswho wouldn't be a culture fit per second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

These are an attempt to create class barriers, so fewer people good enough for the job but not good enough for Stanford get to be low-digit millionaires. They seem comical and counterproductive now, but in a few years they'll be replaced with machine learning algorithms that will be able to reject 500 people with black-sounding nameswho wouldn't be a culture fit per second.

Amazon already created one which found a very high correlation between rejecting candidates and having "women's ____" anywhere on their resume. So it dropped any resume that mentioned something like that.

Amazon will not use that program.... however it was based on Amazon's own hiring data sets.

edit: There was also the one used at an investment bank or some such that had the highest correlations to being hired being the name "jared" and high school lacrosse.