Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Your guy will inevitably die shortly before the completion of the tenth castle.

Then I will just shamelessly save scum unless the death was due to something funny like a manure bomb assassin. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's the only dignified way to die, certainly.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Any chance you escape the Assassins if you refuse to kill your vassal? Seems like a good way to get yourself killed if your traits are bad. I wasn't planning on it though, and now the emperor and most powerful king are dead.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Torrannor posted:

Your guy will inevitably die shortly before the completion of the tenth castle.

Trying to establish a bloodline by ruling the Isle of Mann in peace for 30 years

Year 29, get war declared on me by the Picts, with "Force Vassalization" as the CB.

Win the war (captured the King in battle), die of natural causes literally the next day.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Kilonum posted:

Trying to establish a bloodline by ruling the Isle of Mann in peace for 30 years

Year 29, get war declared on me by the Picts, with "Force Vassalization" as the CB.

Win the war (captured the King in battle), die of natural causes literally the next day.

My bloodlined Canary Island chieftess was one legged, one eyed, one armed, disfigured, camp fever ridden, forced to go on several duels that I had to savescum to get through on her legendary journey, finally gets the bloodline then died a month or so later.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Casual Encountess posted:

so i just got this game and i’m on my fifth restart of ireland as i suss out how this game works.

my goal once i’m actually functional is to take over western europe with a gay muslim horde. as a muslim it’s really nice to have representation at all, especially as something besides terrorists or merchants.

what are my best strategies to gently caress up whitey? i want to try as many ways as possible to cause strife and chaos

You might fit in better at the Paradox forums or perhaps r/the_donald

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Volkerball posted:

Pretty sure I'm gonna pull off a million man army.

Revolting.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Volkerball posted:

Out of curiosity, what year are you / how well does your game run when you cover literally the entire map and have 400 people in your court?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Just got back into this game after several years, and boy am I a lot of $ behind in DLC.

If you are a Count but hold most/all of the de Jure duchy what are the options for usurping the Duke. I assume theat fabricating claims has a chance to generate a Duchy level claim eventually, and I can see the option to claim via the Pope, but is there anything else?

E: I assassinated him and then managed to get granted a claim against his infant heir.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 16, 2018

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
So I've been chugging through with a reformed Germanic that went full-blown matrilineal blood sacrifice. (the founder was part of the Cult of Hel afterall). After a few hundred years of matriarchal deposition wars Byzantium fell.

Now it's basically a war for England and Ireland.

My duelist Empress was doing great, became a Wolf Lodge Hero, kept dueling her rivals to keep the Empire in once piece... until she... well contracted rabies.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Killed by Satanists. I've gladly turned off all the supernatural stuff, it just gets too thick sometimes

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I wish they'd do more with Animal Kingdoms or someone would mod up something cool with them. I see no reason why Dragons can't be better in duels or Dogs have better vassal opinion. Also give me more portraits including weird abominations of half animals

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Doltos posted:

I wish they'd do more with Animal Kingdoms or someone would mod up something cool with them. I see no reason why Dragons can't be better in duels or Dogs have better vassal opinion. Also give me more portraits including weird abominations of half animals

If you're dragon culture you get +30 to duel ability and the ability to roast prisoners with your fire breath.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Just went to set up a shattered world start, and I feel it's my duty to inform the thread that there's now an "Animal World" option, where humanity's been wiped out and only animals remain. I think that's new?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Crow Jane posted:

Just went to set up a shattered world start, and I feel it's my duty to inform the thread that there's now an "Animal World" option, where humanity's been wiped out and only animals remain. I think that's new?

Is that different from Animal Kingdoms?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Technowolf posted:

Is that different from Animal Kingdoms?

Yeah, Animal Kingdoms still has people here and there

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Crow Jane posted:

Where? I don't see it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cantorsdust posted:

Out of curiosity, what year are you / how well does your game run when you cover literally the entire map and have 400 people in your court?

It's only 1041 and the lag is not good. Every 3 or 4 days the simulation stops for a few seconds while the game has to process what's going on, and when I hit the space bar to pause, there's usually a few second delay before I can actually interact with anything. When I click on my characters portrait, the game highlights everything I own and adds that flashing yellow border around it, and it really doesn't like doing that for the entire world. Also when I click on a county that has a trade post in it, it highlights my entire trade network with a blue outline, and the network stretches from the West African coast clear over to China, so it doesn't like doing that either.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Sindai posted:

Where? I don't see it.

You have to click on the culture button a few times in the shattered world menu

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Volkerball posted:

It's only 1041 and the lag is not good. Every 3 or 4 days the simulation stops for a few seconds while the game has to process what's going on, and when I hit the space bar to pause, there's usually a few second delay before I can actually interact with anything. When I click on my characters portrait, the game highlights everything I own and adds that flashing yellow border around it, and it really doesn't like doing that for the entire world. Also when I click on a county that has a trade post in it, it highlights my entire trade network with a blue outline, and the network stretches from the West African coast clear over to China, so it doesn't like doing that either.

Okay, this is at least reassuring to me because that's been my experience dealing with large empires too. I was going to be very jealous / curious if you had somehow had a more playable experience.

Honestly, if CK3 was just CK2 but could run smoothly in the end game large empire, I'd pay full price.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Just finished the last war.

Couldn't begin to tell you the number of people who have died in these conquests, but at least I make the trains run on time.

Tribalism is virtually gone, and there's not many empty holding slots left. Some places still have the recently conquered modifier going on as well, but 100 years from now the economic map should be almost solid green.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

you mean you don't expect it all to explode into a civil war?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

JosefStalinator posted:

drat, I had a ruler drink a potion and became a super lusty gay, and have an orgy in which half the participants (the female half) were suddenly impregnated.

You were perhaps expecting it to be the other half?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Stairmaster posted:

you mean you don't expect it all to explode into a civil war?

I got 630,000 men here not even including my personal levies that say my vassals ain't got the balls.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

You were perhaps expecting it to be the other half?

It's not as if this would be unprecedented in CK2.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Just got a child of destiny for the first time. Holy loving poo poo, you guys. :stare:

Valeran strangled a snake to death in his crib, chugged a vial of poison without injury at age 3, killed an assassin with a fire poker at age 7, and killed a lion at age 13. At 19 he ascended to the throne of Jerusalem and repelled two jihads, and then spent most of his 20s conquering Egypt, Arabia, Yemen, Iraq, Al-Jazira, and Syria. At 30, he was crowned Emperor of Outremer, single-handedly shattering both Caliphates and grinding the moral authority of Islam into dust. With his meteorite-forged blade he personally slew nearly two dozen men in his conquests -- you'll notice he's by far the best swordsman in the world even with a severe injury, and he's been the Grand Champion of the Round Table since his teens.

Dude is earning that nickname.

"I looked, and behold, a white horse, and he who sat on it had a bow; and a crown was given to him, and he went out conquering and to conquer." :black101:

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 17, 2018

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
hell yeah

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Volkerball posted:

Wanna see a religion/culture map of that bad boy

ninjahedgehog posted:

Just got a child of destiny for the first time. Holy loving poo poo, you guys. :stare:

Valeran strangled a snake to death in his crib, chugged a vial of poison without injury at age 3, killed an assassin with a fire poker at age 7, and killed a lion at age 13. At 19 he ascended to the throne of Jerusalem and repelled two jihads, and then spent most of his 20s conquering Egypt, Arabia, Yemen, Iraq, Al-Jazira, and Syria. At 30, he was crowned Emperor of Outremer, single-handedly shattering both Caliphates and grinding the moral authority of Islam into dust. With his meteorite-forged blade he personally slew nearly two dozen men in his conquests -- you'll notice he's by far the best swordsman in the world even with a severe injury, and he's been the Grand Champion of the Round Table since his teens.

"I looked, and behold, a white horse, and he who sat on it had a bow; and a crown was given to him, and he went out conquering and to conquer." :black101:

Which graphics mod is this? I used one recommended by a poster earlier but this one looks a little different.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

JosefStalinator posted:

Which graphics mod is this? I used one recommended by a poster earlier but this one looks a little different.

In Heavens -- It's pretty cool, the map colors get more transparent as you zoom in so you can see the terrain underneath. Kind looks like the Imperator previews.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ninjahedgehog posted:

I wish the chivalric orders in that were more like the pagan fight clubs but with :decorum: -I mean Chivalry instead of poetic rap battles and drinking. I found the way they set things up really unwieldy, and I guess it was made before Holy Fury because you have to trip through the duel engine in it.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Midnight Voyager posted:

I wish the chivalric orders in that were more like the pagan fight clubs but with :decorum: -I mean Chivalry instead of poetic rap battles and drinking. I found the way they set things up really unwieldy, and I guess it was made before Holy Fury because you have to trip through the duel engine in it.

Yeah, their duel engine is pretty dogshit (the *skip duel* button is a godsend, but not always available) but the creator has a "well I spent so much time on this I'm not taking it out" sort of attitude, which kind of sucks. Mod's pretty cool otherwise -- I'm a big fan of the warrior pilgrimage to get the superpowered versions of the command traits, even if it could use a few more events for variety.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah, their duel engine is pretty dogshit (the *skip duel* button is a godsend, but not always available) but the creator has a "well I spent so much time on this I'm not taking it out" sort of attitude, which kind of sucks. Mod's pretty cool otherwise -- I'm a big fan of the warrior pilgrimage to get the superpowered versions of the command traits, even if it could use a few more events for variety.

Luv 2 die to dudes with negative combat skill because of the duel engine

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
In my current Barcelona game, Christians have overrun Iberia in around 80 years. Reconquista's have made it too easy.

I control 48% of Iberia and am married to the Queen of Leon and Navarra who controls another 12 counties. The next generation will almost surely crown themselves Emperor.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I became the chief of the Hel cult and impregnated myself with a demon baby. lmfao 10/10 would hail Satan again also I’m an emperor now

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

ninjahedgehog posted:

In Heavens -- It's pretty cool, the map colors get more transparent as you zoom in so you can see the terrain underneath. Kind looks like the Imperator previews.

I love the way this mod looks, but it gives me a headache after a while :(

Also I dislike that they removed province border lines while zoomed out. Makes it difficult for me to map out my next conquests.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
Let me ask you guys for a little Ironman advice—I want to make sure I understand the mechanics here because I can’t undo this if I screw it up.

I’m playing an Ironman 1066 start as Matilda—I have all expansions, I have shattered retreat, AI Seduction and defensive pacts off, as well as no sunset invasion, but game rules are otherwise default. It’s 1190 currently.

I’m currently playing as a custom empire of Italy, which encompasses the entire kingdoms of Italy, Sardinia & Corsica, Burgundy, Carinthia, Romagna (minus Latium which I gave back as a papal concession for coronation.) my first couple rulers were monastically focused, but the current and previous emperors were heavily into the Hermetics and have some nice artifacts stored up (Emerald Tablet, cipher disk, the astrolabe type thing, as well as the prepuce and nail and a full set of high quality smithed gear.). It’s the strongest Catholic realm, but not by a huge margin (HRE is only a little weaker, just weaker enough that I can no longer Great Conquest them) Byzantium was destroyed and shattered by a Fourh Crusade (actually the second) about five years ago. There are two very strong Muslim realms, the Almoravids which control half of Spain, all of North Africa and Egypt (a little weaker than me) and the Seljuks which took Anatolia and what I think of as the “Northern” Middle East (a little stronger than me.). I also have the grand patriarch (dynastic meddling) and Alexander bloodlines.

My plan is to, the next time a Crusade is called, divert it to Egypt and give it to a non-heir beneficiary, then quantum leap over to that branch of the family. My current empire is huge enough that playing as it is starting to get a bit boring, so I figure I’ll install a relative on the throne of Egypt and see if he can go Outremer-crazy. I figure having Alexander’s blood will be helpful in swiftly turning that one Kingdom into two and making a realm big enough that it is a fighting chance of surviving a counter Jihad.

Some questions:

My current empire has some legal reforms passed, like Full status for women. Will my new crusader kingdom also inherit these reforms and the general government structure?

I want to give the new guy all the tools I can to succeed. Is it possible to give this new crusader king substantially all of my artifacts after the crusade is concluded and before the tag switch decision is made? What about money?

prussian advisor fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 18, 2018

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Can't you give your beneficiary the artifacts beforehand? You know who's inheriting after all.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

prussian advisor posted:

Some questions:

My current empire has some legal reforms passed, like Full status for women. Will my new crusader kingdom also inherit these reforms and the general government structure?

I want to give the new guy all the tools I can to succeed. Is it possible to give this new crusader king substantially all of my artifacts after the crusade is concluded and before the tag switch decision is made? What about money?

1) No, AFAIK -- the new crusader kingdom starts with Ag-Cog Primogeniture and Late Feudal Admin but I don't think it carries over your old laws. That said, the crusader king will have the aptly-named Crusader King trait that gives huge bonuses to Catholic opinion, so it shouldn't be hard to get loyalist councilors to pass your desired laws. Cairo and Alexandria (can't imagine wanting your capital anywhere else) are extremely well-developed provinces so the tech levels required to pass those laws shouldn't be an issue either.

2) Yep. I forget the cooldown for gifting artifacts though, so start handing them off early. Save the crown for last -- the new crusader king is guaranteed a really high-quality helmet (that looks loving badass, btw)

As for cash, I think the only way is to manually send gifts. Unfortunately crusade recipients have to be unlanded so your gift amount will be pretty tiny. That said, everyone who participates in the crusade -- especially the recipient -- gets a GIGANTIC lump sum if they win, so that plus your new Silk Road trade posts in Egypt should be more than enough for a Scrooge McDuck-esque money pool. Turn Sinai into a pet republic facing the Red Sea for even more dosh.

Final tip: My advice for your first post-crusade invasion is for Jerusalem. You probably know this already, but they get to vassalize either the Templars or the Hospitallers and raise them essentially for free, giving you an extra 5-10K heavy infantry and knights to kick some Saracen rear end with. Plus, founding the Kingdom of Jerusalem title gives you something like 8K prestige and 5K piety. Egypt and Jerusalem are both super rich, so the combined title should be enough to fend off any jihad, especially if some of the other Catholic powers decide to help out.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 18, 2018

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
Thank you for the excellent advice.

I’m hesitant to start forking over artifacts since it’s going to be at least 15 years until the next crusade. My current emperor (Nestorre the Great) is about 55 years old so it’s more likely than not that someone else will be on the throne the next time a crusade is called, which could complicate succession matters—I don’t want to lose all these artifacts gifting them to someone who is off the “main line” of dynastic succession only to have the artifacts later disappear into an obscure branch of the Canossas.

Another thing I’m wondering about is if you have any tips on maximizing crusade contribution? Despite being a little stronger than the HRE and fully committing to the Byzantine crusade, the HRE edged me out on contribution to a fairly significant extent. I think the problem may have been that I focused more on sieging down Constantinople rather than getting into pitches battles with the Greeks...it was tough moving big stacks around Thrace during the Crusade without subjecting them to significant attrition losses, and I always feel like a massive idiot whenever I have troops due to attrition. The HRE has no such compunctions and would regularly have droves of men die to starvation in the mountains and throw them into battle against impossible odds, where they would be slaughtered but I would mop up the remaining weakened Greeks myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
There is no cool down on gifting artifacts, but the character needs to consider the offer every time which takes two weeks. You won’t get any extra opinion from chain gifting but from reading the topic it sounds like you’re not worried about that.