Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

CrashScreen posted:

Didn't Wolf Children not also have a questionable take or conclusion or something on mixed children?
Not that I can recall? I think Wolf Children is p. fantastic aside from Ame's story being maybe a little half-baked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I really liked Mirai.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Not that I can recall? I think Wolf Children is p. fantastic aside from Ame's story being maybe a little half-baked.

I guess it depends on how you read the ending. Given that to me, the whole theme of the movie seemed to be around family, and people with a foot in two cultures struggling to reconcile them both, it was a bit weird that the conclusion of the movie seemed to be that the 'solution' was to entirely abandon one side of yourself? One of the children more or less entirely gives up on being part-human, and the other gives up on being part-wolf. It'd be one thing if the movie presented this as a bit of a tragic situation that circumstances forced them into, but it seemed to instead be going for an angle that made it seem like the heroic and right thing to do?

Maybe the whole idea was that the mother shouldn't have been forcing the issue and insisting they were both part human, part wolf, when the kids clearly didn't really want to be, but that really didn't seem to be the message the film was trying to push.

Anyways, I wasn't that keen on Wolf Children, and to be honest Boy and the Beast really seems like the best film of his I've seen, even if it was a bit cheesy.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

smenj posted:

I guess it depends on how you read the ending. Given that to me, the whole theme of the movie seemed to be around family, and people with a foot in two cultures struggling to reconcile them both, it was a bit weird that the conclusion of the movie seemed to be that the 'solution' was to entirely abandon one side of yourself? One of the children more or less entirely gives up on being part-human, and the other gives up on being part-wolf. It'd be one thing if the movie presented this as a bit of a tragic situation that circumstances forced them into, but it seemed to instead be going for an angle that made it seem like the heroic and right thing to do?

Maybe the whole idea was that the mother shouldn't have been forcing the issue and insisting they were both part human, part wolf, when the kids clearly didn't really want to be, but that really didn't seem to be the message the film was trying to push.

This is how I remember it. I get that it's about finding your place in the world, but it also had a pretty narrow minded view of that when depicting characters that are allegories for mixed raced children, especially when Japan does have an issue with what the movie itself settles on.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

smenj posted:

It'd be one thing if the movie presented this as a bit of a tragic situation that circumstances forced them into, but it seemed to instead be going for an angle that made it seem like the heroic and right thing to do?
I think that'd be way worse because both children arrive at their respective choices of their accord and wills as they come of age, and what you present sounds like you pushing your own preconceived notions of what they "should" do instead.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CrashScreen posted:

This is how I remember it. I get that it's about finding your place in the world, but it also had a pretty narrow minded view of that when depicting characters that are allegories for mixed raced children, especially when Japan does have an issue with what the movie itself settles on.
Yes, Japan, and not every country on earth.

Anyway, idk, the movie seemed to portray it as a sad but inevitable thing, and, well, mixed-race children do kind of wind up leaning towards one side or the other. It's not impossible to reconcile or anything but for instance if your dad was Japanese and your mom was American, you're going to wind up living in one country or the other, it's not like you can live your life moving back and forth at the end of every year. Wolf Children obviously took an extreme angle on it, what with the kid that goes to live with wolves cutting of all contact with the human world, but, it's a movie, conflict needs to happen.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 18, 2018

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Honestly if the movie gave us a bit more time in that second act to see them being accepted by both worlds, or letting them accept that they're more than just one or the other, it probably wouldn't be so bad? Being mixed race can mean struggling with acceptance from both cultures, and the ultimate conclusion the movie reached felt like it was saying both cultures couldn't coexist? Both children were unable to reconcile with one of their heritages and that's acceptable on a personal level, but it's still written by someone else. A conscious decision was still made that neither child would be able to exist as both a wolf and a human. It's also a little jarring when their wolf dad was able to balance both reasonably well.

I'm going to admit that my memory is more often faulty than anything else, and it's been a long time since I've seen the movie. I still remember that as my interpretation. I also can't really remember anything about the mother though, and that's obviously kind of important to how it expresses the mixed heritage theme too.

e:

Endorph posted:

Yes, Japan, and not every country on earth.

I was thinking specifically of their attitude towards dual citizenship here (and I wasn't intending to act like nowhere else has problems because lol being mixed race comes with a lot of baggage no matter where you are). It felt like the movie was depicting the duality as something that can't coexist, rather than that something in which you can identify more closely as either one side or another. I'm also going to admit that personal events around the time may have influenced how I interpreted the movie.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 18, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean, if anything, their wolf dad being able to balance both is proof that the movie doesn't think it's a universal truth? The live the dad and the mom had for each other despite their differences was genuine and true, so I don't think it's the movie saying that the two sides can't coexist.

There's obviously mixed-race children in real life who have gone through that experience of their sibling going hard towards one side of their heritage and them going hard towards the other, and being unable to reconcile that. Balancing these things is hard, and sometimes people fail at them, or feel like they'd be happier just picking one path and sticking to it. That isn't an inherently incorrect choice, these things are complicated. As for why that decision was made, like I said, a conflict needs to happen. And the daughter seemed much more open to engaging with the wolf world than the son did engaging with the human world. The son legitimately felt uncomfortable in the human world.

And the daughter had her boyfriend who was totally cool with her being a wolf and didn't feel like it was a secret she had to hide at all, and even covered for her when other people were trying to 'prove' there was something strange about her. Again, that'd be an odd thing to put in if they felt like these two paths couldn't be reconciled - it's a character from the human world being totally cool with her wolf side.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
He sees how miserable wolves are in the human world

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Endorph posted:

And the daughter had her boyfriend who was totally cool with her being a wolf and didn't feel like it was a secret she had to hide at all, and even covered for her when other people were trying to 'prove' there was something strange about her. Again, that'd be an odd thing to put in if they felt like these two paths couldn't be reconciled - it's a character from the human world being totally cool with her wolf side.

You know what? This particularly feels extremely fair to me. Like I said (though probably edited in after you started your response), personal events at the time may have influenced my opinion, and I have personal stake in the issue. The movie didn't sit well with me by time we reached the conclusion, and it kind of soured a lot of what I enjoyed in the middle act. You're right though, the movie did offer opportunities to suggest that they could be reconciled, but my memory still feels like its actual conclusion was a little more concrete on the matter? Maybe it'll be worth a rewatch at some point. I'm probably just misremembering it.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

I think that'd be way worse because both children arrive at their respective choices of their accord and wills as they come of age, and what you present sounds like you pushing your own preconceived notions of what they "should" do instead.

That’s fair. That said, I wasn’t quite trying to come across as saying them choosing to cut off that aspect of themselves was necessarily a bad thing - after all, it’s their choice, and if that’s what they want to do then that’s fine.

It was more the fact that the movie seemed to present the idea of doing anything else as a complete impossibility, and that choosing one or the other was the ‘correct’ thing. Sure, if people want to do that, no problem. But why should they be forced to do so, and why is someone trying to live with a foot in two worlds seemingly presented as an inherently bad idea?

I could just be reading the film entirely wrong here, but all I can say is that’s genuinely what I took away from it after watching, as did the two friends I watched it with, so it didn’t seem that I was alone in that interpretation.

EDIT: Sorry, posting on my phone here so typing takes a while, can see that a bunch of people posted since I started typing this up, so apologies if anything I’ve said above has already been addressed.

Just on the topic of the kids’ dad living well in both worlds - even then, the movie arguably makes the point that it ultimately wasn’t possible, what with his death early on, seemingly because he wasn’t able to repress his instincts and went hunting or something, or fell in the river and was unable to swim (my memory’s a bit fuzzy on this part).

smenj fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 18, 2018

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

smenj posted:

That’s fair. That said, I wasn’t quite trying to come across as saying them choosing to cut off that aspect of themselves was necessarily a bad thing - after all, it’s their choice, and if that’s what they want to do then that’s fine.
But why should they be forced to do so, and why is someone trying to live with a foot in two worlds seemingly presented as an inherently bad idea?
These are contradictory statements to me. If it was their choice, then how could they have been forced or coerced to do anything? Or rather, why do you feel they were not allowed to exist in both? Was this opportunity closed off to them by an external force?

The father's death is treated as tragic accident, the exact details of which we are not privy to. I don't think it's accurate or fair to the movie's thematic goals or intentions to retroactively apply this as a statement on the childrens' own goals with their livelihoods and placements in the world.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CrashScreen posted:

You know what? This particularly feels extremely fair to me. Like I said (though probably edited in after you started your response), personal events at the time may have influenced my opinion, and I have personal stake in the issue. The movie didn't sit well with me by time we reached the conclusion, and it kind of soured a lot of what I enjoyed in the middle act. You're right though, the movie did offer opportunities to suggest that they could be reconciled, but my memory still feels like its actual conclusion was a little more concrete on the matter? Maybe it'll be worth a rewatch at some point. I'm probably just misremembering it.

The movie's conclusion was something along the lines of 'they've both found their own paths in life,' and the mother being proud of that, which, I can see taking a bad way especially if you were in a sour mood about that kind of thing, but in my case I just took to mean that any approach to reconciling your own identity is valid. The daughter leaned heavily towards human but was fine with the fact that she was part-wolf, thanks to having a supportive person in her life, and the son was fully embracing being a wolf, and neither of them are wrong for those choices.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I enjoyed the second episode of Saintia Sho. I don't know if it'd be a good show for people who aren't already deep lore Seiyaheads though, since the brand new adventure with Shoko is intercut with lots of unnamed cameos from people in the show. It's cool that Athena is a viewpoint character for once

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/pkjd818/status/1074989937496215554

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the buried lede here is hideki anno is in the credits

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Endorph posted:

the buried lede here is hideki anno is in the credits

Yeah, he's not director, but it's like, his idea/concept?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Julias posted:

Yeah, he's not director, but it's like, his idea/concept?
nah, he's just a 'consultant' and on his twitter he specified that he was only contacted for one specific eva joke episode

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Here's hoping it's at the very least funny

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

No Kizuna Ai, no deal.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Mr. Fowl posted:

No Kizuna Ai, no deal.

:hai:

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Mr. Fowl posted:

No Kizuna Ai, no deal.

Greblin
Mar 12, 2008

Mr. Fowl posted:

No Kizuna Ai, no deal.

Kizuna Ai, more like Kizuna Nai.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
kizuna ai is a representative for an anime bitcoin

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There are anime bitcoins?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

There's coins for loving everything lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there are two different anime cryptocurrencies and one of them was partially created by the owner of ann and the other is created by yamakan

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the main one/kizuna ai one was started by tokyo otaku mode, the ann ceo consulted on it but pretty quickly tried to split when his name was being posted in a consultant list alongside palmer luckey

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Kizuna Ai plays video games on youtube

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
13 year old me should have taken their opportunity to punch palmer luckey in the face preemptively

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The Colonel posted:

13 year old me should have taken their opportunity to punch palmer luckey in the face preemptively

What's the story here

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Fangz posted:

What's the story here

i met palmer luckey once when i was 13 which means i had an opportunity to punch him in the face

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Depending on how strong you were at the time, that may get you a free trip to the reeducation camps.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Captain Cappy posted:

Depending on how strong you were at the time, that may get you a free trip to the reeducation camps.

what

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Captain Cappy posted:

Hey. gently caress off with this poo poo.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Was he also 13 is what I was asking.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Fangz posted:

Was he also 13 is what I was asking.

no guy was living in his own trailer at the time man he was like eight years older than me

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

If you were strong enough to do serious damage then you had to take the shot. You're gonna have to carry that weight.

(It was a dumb post and I'm sorry)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Captain Cappy posted:

If you were strong enough to do serious damage then you had to take the shot. You're gonna have to carry that weight.

(It was a dumb post and I'm sorry)

Stop doubling down on the bad post!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The Colonel posted:

no guy was living in his own trailer at the time man he was like eight years older than me

*Tosses colonel school days fanfic in the bin*