Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Was venezuela's contestant even thinner than usual this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Why does Miss Vietnam have more baguettes than a cartoon Frenchman?

Post-Colonialism

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Bahn mi rules!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

priznat posted:

Bahn mi rules!

Indeed.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

priznat posted:

Bahn mi rules!

Dammit now I need to get one.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Viet Nam makes better baguettes than France does :yum: love's me some Bahn Mi.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Platystemon posted:

wrong, it wss Miss Spain who had a hot dog

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

CIGNX posted:

What I find surprising is Modi, who ran on a nationalist platform, subverted the premiere Indian state-owned aerospace company. HAL are the guys making the Su-30MKI and were the joint partner on the Su-57. I'm more used to corruption that benefits already established national champions of heavy industry, not the kind that fucks them over.

Isnt it going to an Indian private company instead? Nationalist and nationalisation are orthogonal.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

feedmegin posted:

Isnt it going to an Indian private company instead? Nationalist and nationalisation are orthogonal.

As I posted, HAL is a monster of complacency and inefficiency and everyone is fed up with them. Except the Russians. The Russian export bureau loves HAL because they know they can't hold their deadlines so they'll always discreetly order more knocked-down kits from Obyedinyonnaya Aviastroitelnaya Korporatsiya than originally planned by the contract.

It's what Modi wanted to change with his "Make In India" initiative; instead of forcing foreign aircraft industries to partner with HAL and either cheat the system (like the Russians do) or leave in disgust (like Boeing did), let them partner with private industries in India.

And then Modi's political opponents jumped on this to say "look, it's benefiting private industries that have no experience in aeronautics, #scam" when building up a private sector for aeronautics was the entire point of the thing. Of course companies won't have much previous experience, since HAL got everything before! The point is to acquire that experience in the first place...

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I look forward to Trudeau III announcing in 2045 to replace the still running CF-18s with Indian built slightly used Rafales on an interim basis while the fighter competition goes for the 17th time. :canada:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Cause bahn-mi has been a thing since the French colonized the gently caress outta them. Also it’s loving delicious.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Viet Nam makes better baguettes than France does :yum: love's me some Bahn Mi.
This is patently untrue, but the fillings more than make up for it.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

priznat posted:

I look forward to Trudeau III announcing in 2045 to replace the still running CF-18s with Indian built slightly used Rafales on an interim basis while the fighter competition goes for the 17th time. :canada:

:lol: if you think they'll be replaced as early as that.

1963 - Sea King begins use in Canadian Navy
1983 - Call made to replace the ageing Sea Kings
2018 - December 31st, the last Sea Kings are being retired

35 Years from the initial call to replace the ageing fleet, to them actually being retired.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Platystemon posted:

Not a student of history or the culinary arts, eh? ;)

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The War Zone on that flight of Tu-160s flying in the Caribbean. I repost it here because it reports two other aircraft that flew with the Blackjacks: an An-124, and...an IL-62?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Blistex posted:

35 Years from the initial call to replace the ageing fleet, to them actually being retired.

I just wanna live to see the new fighters :sigh:

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Blistex posted:

AHEM.

1966 - Norway decides they need some of that sweet Sea King capability
1972 - Ten units are actually acquired
1973 - The Sea Kings are put into service
2001 - Call made to replace the ageing Sea Kings
2007 - Someone figures the NH90 is not a worthy replacement after all
2013 - A deal is signed to buy a bunch of AW101's as replacements
2017 - The first AW101 arrives in Norway, only to tip over and disintegrate a week later
2019 - The first operational AW101's will be put into service, we hope
2021 - The last Sea Kings are supposedly going to get retired

:norway:

Edit:
While time from call to replace the (even older) fleet to actual retirement isn't looking as bad as Canada's (yet) this needs to be put into a broader perspective of Norwegian heli procurement. We decided to buy a bunch of NH90's back in 2001, which were all supposed to be entering service between 2005 and 2008. In reality, the first one arrived in 2011, and was unfit for operations. By the end of 2017, we'd received a third of the units ordered, which were being used for testing and "error correction". As of right now, we hope to have full capacity delivered sometime in 2021. At 80 percent over budget.

Pursesnatcher fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 17, 2018

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

mlmp08 posted:

Miss Singapore still hype for the summit.

Pageantry doesn't interest me, but Miss Universe "national costumes" own, because poo poo gets weird.

Other unfortunate timing: Right after Venezuela was Vietnam, and this was Vietnam's costume:

I've heard of various countries being called "the breadbasket of X," but this is the first time I've seen it be true in a pageant :allears:

Banh mi: the most :toxx: sandwich.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Blistex posted:

A flight of four sea Kings in tight diamond formation tailed by a Cormorant did a pass directly over my job site in Victoria about 200 feet up today. Our tower crane operator just about poo poo himself. I think it was a farewell flight.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

large hands posted:

A flight of four sea Kings in tight diamond formation tailed by a Cormorant did a pass directly over my job site in Victoria about 200 feet up today. Our tower crane operator just about poo poo himself. I think it was a farewell flight.

Cormorant ready for SAR mission just in case.

I grew up in Victoria myself, went to school with a gal whose dad was a sonar operator on a Sea King. His went down in the Atlantic one year, he survived but I think there were a couple fatalities. This was in the late 80s ffs.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Pursesnatcher posted:

AHEM.

Edit:
While time from call to replace the (even older) fleet to actual retirement isn't looking as bad as Canada's (yet) this needs to be put into a broader perspective of Norwegian heli procurement. We decided to buy a bunch of NH90's back in 2001, which were all supposed to be entering service between 2005 and 2008. In reality, the first one arrived in 2011, and was unfit for operations. By the end of 2017, we'd received a third of the units ordered, which were being used for testing and "error correction". As of right now, we hope to have full capacity delivered sometime in 2021. At 80 percent over budget.

For those who might not know. NH90 derives from "NATO Helicopter for the 1990s"

Somehow it became a clusterfuck even though we have plenty of competent helicopter manufacturers in Europe.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

evil_bunnY posted:

This is patently untrue, but the fillings more than make up for it.

I've been to France, and I've been to Viet Nam. You are demonstrably wrong.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

AlexanderCA posted:

Somehow it became a clusterfuck even though we have plenty of competent helicopter manufacturers in Europe.

When you're wrangling eldritch forces of un-nature to your will and defying all reason (ie flying helicopters) "competent" just means "we haven't delved too deep into the madness yet"

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

AlexanderCA posted:

Having plenty is actually the problem here.

Quick exercise: you have X countries that want to make a single materiel type for economies of scale. Each country has a relevant manufacturer and wants it to be involved. So your single materiel type must be spread between X manufacturers. Then each country also gets a smart idea to cheat by giving more work to their own manufacturer and less to the other countries': they mention they have specific custom needs that can only be fit by making a custom variant that uses Equipment Y instead of the Equipment Z of the standard. So now you have X countries building X different versions of the helicopter, and X times as many equipments that must be integrated. Oh, and of course everyone wants to have their own assembly line.

The end result is that instead of getting a streamlined generic product for cheap, you get a highly specific custom product that cost you a lot more than if you built it alone.

It's also very variable in quality because it's built to different standards by different companies in different places. So there are countries where they ran into a lot of problems, and others where they've been quite reliable. They've been expensive everywhere, though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Blistex posted:

*cough* B-52 *cough* B-1A *cough*

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

priznat posted:

Cormorant ready for SAR mission just in case.

I grew up in Victoria myself, went to school with a gal whose dad was a sonar operator on a Sea King. His went down in the Atlantic one year, he survived but I think there were a couple fatalities. This was in the late 80s ffs.

The techs that kept those loving things flying worked magic and miracles to do so.

On that note, I would like to share a little Sea King story that is Cold War as gently caress. It may or may not be true, but was relayed to me by a former pilot that swears it is. During the Cold War, the Soviets routinely parked SIGINT trawlers off of Halifax to monitor signals traffic coming from the port and the naval base therein. Sea Kings routinely sortied out of Halifax for patrol flights, and on these flights the crew were provided with boxed lunches for in-flight meals. Lacking a bathroom, these boxes also became disposable toilets for the crew.

I say disposable, because it was common practice to unload these cardboard boxes of excreta at sea, usually by dropping them onto the aforementioned Soviet trawlers.

Gabrielite
Apr 24, 2008
r/F35Lightning - 60 Questions and Answers with an F-35C naval aviator

Not exactly an in depth AMA but he does get into a little detail for the Magic Carpet System.

Question: How do you feel for the future of the F-35 being the replacement of the Hornet on the boats in the sea? Given its current state and budget in the program it's in and the capabilities it will supposedly bring.
Answer: The F-35C is the future. The Hornet is old. It needs to go. There’s a reason we don't fly the F-4 and A-6 anymore...technology advances and requirements change.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The most interesting thing I saw in there was that "Panther" is catching on. I've only heard it at the Weapons School, but that'd be a pretty cool nickname.

Edit: Except maybe this:

quote:

Question: Would you rather fight a horse sized F/A-18C or a dozen duck sized F-35Cs?

Godholio fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 18, 2018

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Godholio posted:

The most interesting thing I saw in there was that "Panther" is catching on. I've only heard it at the Weapons School, but that'd be a pretty cool nickname.

Better than loving "Viper"

You watch lovely television, Air Force Nerds.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Good to see all my Raptor buddies saying they can chew up F-35’s aren’t full of poo poo.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny Nox posted:

Better than loving "Viper"

You watch lovely television, Air Force Nerds.

Nothing wrong with Viper.

They’re great jets too.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Good to see all my Raptor buddies saying they can chew up F-35’s aren’t full of poo poo.

Air to air there's no question. But the F-35 is meant to be a contested environment bomb truck that can defend itself without a ball turret.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Godholio posted:

Air to air there's no question. But the F-35 is meant to be a contested environment bomb truck that can defend itself without a ball turret.

An AIM-9X ball turret you say? A Raytheon executive just got an erection.

Also best line from the AMA: F-35C “Sea Panther” (C = “Sea”)

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 18, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
F‐35 Bee Panther

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Godholio posted:

I really really really wanna know if the double digit SAM’s give these F-35 guys a chill or not. I know how those threats are handled with all our other planes but not the F-35, because it went IOC right when I retired. I wonder if they can tear them up like they were promising during the development days. I really hope they’ve cracked that nut.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Platystemon posted:

F‐35 Bee Panther

It fires its one shot and immediately dies, checks out

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
F-35 Ape Anther

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Space force saga has a happy ending: we're getting a unified space command, and not a separate branch.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mortabis posted:

Space force saga has a happy ending: we're getting a unified space command, and not a separate branch.

this is fine except they should replace space with cyber, and have done it 10 years ago

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
F-35C GroverLasershark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Platystemon posted:

F‐35 Bee Panther
I mean, there are Ant Lions, so why not Bee Panthers?

Alternatively: F-35B Arthur