Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

3 Tablets Daily posted:

How is it a war crime to seize and destroy the assets of criminals? The guy was convicted of murder.

i know you are very dumb but collective punishment is a war crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Tablets Daily
Jun 7, 2006

by Cyrano4747
But it was his home that they demolished.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Destroying his home serves only to punish his family and community.

3 Tablets Daily
Jun 7, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Destroying his home serves only to punish his family and community.

But couldn't you make the same argument against seizing the assets of American gangsters? I think most people would agree that seizing the assets of gangsters is a necessary tool in the fight against organized crime.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
after all, there might have been rubber tubing in that house

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

3 Tablets Daily posted:

But couldn't you make the same argument against seizing the assets of American gangsters? I think most people would agree that seizing the assets of gangsters is a necessary tool in the fight against organized crime.

You're a huge idiot if you think seizing the assets of criminals is anything similar to this.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Also you pulling this poo poo on a topic where people are actually dying is in very bad taste.

3 Tablets Daily
Jun 7, 2006

by Cyrano4747
But it is. The guy murdered an Israeli, and was found guilty by an Israeli court.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

his family wasn’t.

3 Tablets Daily
Jun 7, 2006

by Cyrano4747
His family wasn't sent to jail. They were living in the home of a convicted criminal who had his assets seized. Bad luck for them, but the state has the right to take away your things if you're going to throw slabs of marble onto its soldiers from the top of a building.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that’s not how asset seizure works in criminal law.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

3 Tablets Daily posted:

How is it a war crime to seize and destroy the assets of criminals? The guy was convicted of murder.

No, he wasn't. He was arrested and charged (by a military court) with murder, but has yet to face trial. I'd love to see their proof, given that the death happened in the middle of a loving riot in a refugee camp, and that none of the dead person's squadmates saw who threw the rock.

It's a military court, though, a kangaroo court run by Army officers with a 99% conviction rate. So even if he goes to trial, it's not a fair or legitimate one.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

3 Tablets Daily posted:

So punishing the entire family? Like the hanging in "The Sixth Sense?"

This, in the end, will make things worse for Israel.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
3 Tablets Daily status: extremely not mad.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i really wish i could tell for sure which lunatics are trolls and which are genuinely passionate israeli citizens suffering from some kind of syndrome that makes them chronically online

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I was thinking troll but spending $10 on that incredibly mad avatar is a whole new level.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

it breaks my heart to see a thread full of smug little men of chub greedily awaiting the downfall of israel and the mass abasement of our poor family once more before the lord. we are so gentle and we have been hurt so badly already. i understand your glee but it still breaks my heart. oh jerusalem, jerusalem

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

3 Tablets Daily status: extremely not mad.

now now, there's always the possibility it's someone else upset at the suggestion israel is not granted the g-dlike power to decree the sins of the father pass on to the closest building it's convenient to blow up

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

I was thinking troll but spending $10 on that incredibly mad avatar is a whole new level.

on a mod who can change it back at will, no less

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

3 Tablets Daily posted:

I personally believe RICO, asset forfeiture before conviction, is a violation of due process and the constitution.

The Fifth Amendment says to the federal government that no one shall be "deprived of life, liberty or property without due process of law." The Fourteenth Amendment, ratified in 1868, uses the same eleven words, called the Due Process Clause, to describe a legal obligation of all states.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

VideoGameVet posted:

I personally believe RICO, asset forfeiture before conviction, is a violation of due process and the constitution.

The Fifth Amendment says to the federal government that no one shall be "deprived of life, liberty or property without due process of law." The Fourteenth Amendment, ratified in 1868, uses the same eleven words, called the Due Process Clause, to describe a legal obligation of all states.

Agreed, the US just needs to make it official and grant Israel representation in Congress.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

VideoGameVet posted:

I personally believe RICO, asset forfeiture before conviction,

rico is not asset forfeiture before conviction

it almost always involves asset forfeiture before conviction, because you're rolling up the leadership of a criminal organization, but they're separate things

(asset forfeiture in its current form is bad and quite possibly unconstitutional, mind)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The important thing here is that the home demolitions are not based on or tied to any kind of legal action. There is no requirement that the target be convicted of a crime or even being charged with one. It's an military action, not a legal action, and is routinely used against people who have not been convicted of any crime.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

The important thing here is that the home demolitions are not based on or tied to any kind of legal action. There is no requirement that the target be convicted of a crime or even being charged with one. It's an military action, not a legal action, and is routinely used against people who have not been convicted of any crime.

I actually forgot what thread I was in. :saddowns:

Yeah, the home demolitions in Palestine are goddamn nutso, including the one we just had an insane rear end in a top hat argue.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Every demolition is approved by the supreme court.

Make of it what you will.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The institutions of an apartheid state have no value, their decisions no merit, their people no worth.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Orange Devil posted:

The institutions of an apartheid state have no value, their decisions no merit, their people no worth.

I'll let them know that you feel that way.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

3 Tablets Daily posted:

But it is. The guy murdered an Israeli, and was found guilty by an Israeli court.

Would you accept the verdict of a Hamas court that found an Israeli soldier guilty of murdering a Hamas member, and therefore decided it was fair punishment to destroy the Israeli soldier's family home?

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Cat Mattress posted:

Would you accept the verdict of a Hamas court that found an Israeli soldier guilty of murdering a Hamas member, and therefore decided it was fair punishment to destroy the Israeli soldier's family home?

Hamas doesn't do that though. They don't do war crimes or murder children at comparable rates at all.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Cat Mattress posted:

This is hilarious. Imagine if people ascribed this much agency to a people being genocided anywhere else. Why didn't the Jews just find the Germans guilty from their concentration camps and destroy their homes? Oh yeah.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm preeetty sure he's dunking on the guy who says war crimes are cool if the colonialist courts say they are.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
i just woke up and am clearly reverse sundowning

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Not directly. The demolitions themselves are a military administrative action that doesn't go before any judge. The targets have a short window to appeal, and can appeal it to the High Court...which generally holds that the demolition is a military administrative action with no particular ties to the legal process, and that they'll defer to the judgement of the military.

For example:

quote:

The Hamid family asked the court to nullify the IDF’s demolition order because their son had not yet been convicted of killing Lubarsky, while arguing that demolishing the entire building would cause disproportionate harm to the other occupants who were not involved in the attack. The family also argued that the IDF only moved to demolish the entire building at the urging of the Lubarsky family.

However, Justice Yael Wilner rejected the Palestinian family’s petition, saying that Israeli military courts are not legally required to wait for a conviction before issuing demolition orders.

In the unanimous decision, Wilner acknowledged that razing the entire building would unfairly harm some residents, but said Israel’s security considerations and the need to establish deterrence against future attacks “did not justify reducing the scope of the demolition order.”

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I bet all those kids whose homes got demolished for no reason are gonna grow up just loving Israel.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
The need for a constant supply of angry Palestinians is a security consideration.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

The need for a constant supply of angry Palestinians is a security consideration.

After all, without enemies Israel won't be able to justify asking for lots of military aid.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

rico is not asset forfeiture before conviction

it almost always involves asset forfeiture before conviction, because you're rolling up the leadership of a criminal organization, but they're separate things

(asset forfeiture in its current form is bad and quite possibly unconstitutional, mind)

Thank you for the clarification. Yes, I agree that "asset forfeiture before conviction" is unconstitutional. That was what I was trying to say.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

I bet all those kids whose homes got demolished for no reason are gonna grow up just loving Israel.

That's the thing I don't understand. Supposedly Netanyahu has this really high IQ. If true why can't he figure that out?

There was a simulation game where you went after terrorists but the collateral damage spawned even more terrorists. That's what this feels like.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

VideoGameVet posted:

That's the thing I don't understand. Supposedly Netanyahu has this really high IQ. If true why can't he figure that out?

There was a simulation game where you went after terrorists but the collateral damage spawned even more terrorists. That's what this feels like.

what country are you from, that you do not have an example in your home politics of how the right wing views having a minority threat to fearmonger about as a state of affairs to be maintained- and if possible, exacerbated- by whatever means necessary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

VideoGameVet posted:

That's what Netanyahu wants. Without an existential threat his policies and mindset would be deeply unpopular.