Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You guys missed the buried lede that spoiled dog dude lives with his mom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008

Gone Fashing posted:

what kind of moon man currency is this in? how many hard working redblooded american dollars does that equal

28k is close to the median yearly income of a single person in america, so, yeah, it's a shitload for a security deposit on a rental house.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

We occasionally have dogs at the office from the various people who either need to bring them in because of vet appointments/apartment fumigation or just requests to have a pet over. People are excited to take the dogs out because it means playing with them. I can't fathom someone claiming to love their dog but being too lazy to take them outside every day.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

it owns that LLJSILK's other posts are either about being poly, bitcoin or star citizen

what an absolute piece of poo poo

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

He's at least correct in thinking that the son should continue living with grandma, what I don't understand is why the son wants to come home at all

Prolly cause Grandma is home all the time and with her around he can't go do the things he was ruining his future with. LLJSILK's other kids were also suffering from this one's involvement in their life as if you read the thread they were getting dragged into the poo poo with him.

Kid obviously needed someone more involved in his life to make something of it and grandma is capable of being that person, honestly prolly a good call on LLJSILK's part because the move helps all 3 kids.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

loquacius posted:

My initial reaction was "jeez let your dumb teen brother date his dumb teen girlfriend" buuuuut yeah :sever:

She's being extremely teenage toxic which is expected for a teenager but he shouldn't put up with it at this level or he's never gonna learn

It's p ironic that he's gonna be a total doormat putting up with it and get dumped for it anyways. Kid is gonna 100% take the exact wrong message away from it (either that he shoulda been more of a doormat or that he should have taken initiative and been the shittier partner) but there's prolly almost nothing older brother can do about it other than hope the next gf is better and his brother will learn from experience that normal good relationships are totally possible. Odds are he's just gonna string together people exactly like his ex, we all know those people and it the trend starts basically then.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Cythereal posted:

I just want America to be safe and the economy to be good, which they have been. How do I get her back?
Have these people been ignoring the colossal meltdown of the stock market? Do they just believe Trump when he says it is the best economy in history? The dow dropping 400 points a day is just a regular thing at this point. God, I hate Trump supporters.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

it owns that LLJSILK's other posts are either about being poly, bitcoin or star citizen

It warms my heart to know he will always be miserable.

Also wtf is it with people and schnauzers? I swear to god every one of them I have met has been an socialized, anxious, shithead mess of a dog, why do so many people gently caress up raising them, in particular? I knew a family that had both a miniature and a giant schnauzer and they were both completely untrained garbage piles of canines. Btw giant schnauzers are at least 70lbs and that one liked to bite.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

The only thing I'm unsure about is who to go to first, HR or our supervisor. Our entire department has one manager and he and Cliff get along well. Said manager has also never witnessed any of Cliffs tantrums.

You should go to the manager and you will be fired for it.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Cythereal posted:

GF dumped me for supporting Trump - how do I get her back?

I've been dating Laura for two months, and she came over to my apartment for the first time Friday night. She saw my MAGA hat on the couch and asked if I'm a Trump supporter. I said yes, and Laura told me we have incompatible ideas for the future and left. I've tried calling, texting, and emailing her, and she hasn't replied yet. We hadn't talked about politics much, but Laura's an amazing girl and I thought she was the one.

I've tried explaining to her that I'm not one of those misogynistic Trump voters, I just want America to be safe and the economy to be good, which they have been. How do I get her back?

Hell yeah, loving :owned:!

quote:

I'm not one of those misogynistic Trump voters

lol :vd:

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Leon Einstein posted:

Have these people been ignoring the colossal meltdown of the stock market? Do they just believe Trump when he says it is the best economy in history? The dow dropping 400 points a day is just a regular thing at this point. God, I hate Trump supporters.

Dude, he thinks he can win her back. Reality isn't something he is aware of.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Leon Einstein posted:

it's gotta be this. Trump supporters are the very definition of :tif:

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My [59]M colleague completely went off the rails because he didn't get his way. I [30]F called him out on it but nobody will back me up and he doesn't believe he did anything wrong.

I work in IT. My colleague, I'll call him Cliff, is very knowledgeable, but has a tendency to throw toddler tantrums when someone disagrees with him or in another way doesn't let him do what he wants.

He's also a big fan of gaslighting, in that if there weren't enough people to witness his behavior and you call him out, he'll twist things to make it seem like you're making a big fuss out of nothing, and he'll come out seeming the reasonable one.

The past few days Cliff has been rebuilding a testdriver program originally written by someone else, because it was, in his words, a crappy program.

Today Sarah, the person who originally wrote it, noticed the changes and asked Cliff why he didn't notify her that he was changing it because her team was actually using that program in their tests today and this would interfere with their work.

Cliff started yelling at Sarah that she can gently caress off and to keep her crappy program and that he's going to turn it back to it's original "lovely state". Sarah approaches him, trying to get him to calm down by saying the issue she was having was him not communicating to her about it and he kept interrupting her with "go away, I'm not listening, gently caress off".

My entire team (of which Cliff is a part of) witnessed this. One other colleague tried to carefully address his behavior, saying it was unprofessional and Cliff retorted by saying "kiss my rear end".

I have been on the receiving end of his outbursts several times, so I kept quiet for a bit, to see if anyone else would step in. Nobody did. After a few seconds Cliff just started asking questions about work related stuff like nothing happened.

So I told him: "You do realize what you did is completely unacceptable right?" And he started shrugging saying "I don't care."

So I told him I did care because nobody should be treated like that. And that it was completely uncalled for. He started trying to defend himself by making remarks about the quality of Sarah's program, so I asked him if he had actually given Sarah a chance to correct these mistakes by herself. He said he had made a remark about her program being completely illogical and left it at that. Apparently Sarah had made some changes after that but it obviously wasn't enough.

He still didn't think his behavior was bad. Started making remarks about me not being his mother and sarcastically asking me if I was posing as the conscience of the team. I told him I wished his mom had done a better job so that someone the age of his daughter wouldn't have to teach him about good manners. I told him that he should apologize to Sarah.

He got up and walked away, cursing the entire time. He didn't apologize to Sarah. The rest of the team just sat there awkwardly going about their jobs. I'm so sick and tired of being the only one calling him out on his BS. How do I deal with people like Cliff?

EDIT/UPDATE: wow this blew up, thank you all so much for pitching in and sharing your thoughts!

Some notes because some of the same comments kept popping up:

I see that the comment about his mom was unprofessional, I shouldn't have done that.

Some of you have mentioned documenting, which is a really good idea and I wrote down the incident best as I could, including the names of all witnesses. I'm going to try and get them to verify with me tomorrow so I have a paper trail so to speak.

Sarah left early so tomorrow I'm going to approach her about maybe taking real action about this.

The only thing I'm unsure about is who to go to first, HR or our supervisor. Our entire department has one manager and he and Cliff get along well. Said manager has also never witnessed any of Cliffs tantrums.

he's a man-baby but everyone knows that and is used to it. You just made it so much worse and will 100% be fired for it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

it owns that LLJSILK's other posts are either about ... star citizen

This is tremendous.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Aunt (37F) keeps returning and reselling gifts given to her children (13M,10F,1F) and uses the money to spend on herself and husband.

quote:

Tl;dr: Aunt and her husband are pretty much stealing from their children by selling/returning what they get as gifts. My mother and myself are getting extremely fed up, but have no idea what to do.

Let's just start this by saying that I (21F) have no idea what to do in this situation... Neither does my mother (42F) who has been probably affected the most because of my aunt's antics.

Here is a little backstory on my aunt... She was married, had two children (13M,10F) got divorced. He was a pedophile (nothing to do with his own children, thankfully) and a creep. She finally saw the light after 7 years of us telling her the same thing. He is now homeless and suicidal. She also happened to cheat on her first husband with another man, even brought him to the house she was living in at the time (which is right next door). She let this man into her home and let him play with her children three days before she had even kicked out her first husband and divorced him. She is now married to this second man and has been for 7 years. He's a complete idiot. My family hate him and so does his own. No one really speaks to him other than to be polite and I avoid him completely. He's whiny, rude, extremely hyper, has no filter, is jealous of his stepchildren, and makes sure to let everyone know that their new addition to the family (1F) is much more important than the other two children. My aunt does not work. She says she quit her job for the baby, but we believe she was fired. He works at a cellphone store and makes barely anything. He gets fast food (just for himself) every night for dinner because he refuses to eat anything else except sweets, fried chicken, pizza, macaroni and cheese, bread, and mixing bowl servings of ice cream and cereal. My aunt let's him have his way with everything and anything.

As far as all that goes, we have tried to intervene, but it just results in no one being able to see the children. We've given up trying to do anything. We learned this with the first husband, as it went the same way.

Recently, she has turned to selling anything and everything that has been given to the kids. She promises to give the children their money or buy them something else, but never does. They always come back to us crying that she took it. She uses it on herself and her husband. They spend on themselves lavishly and get new cellphones, video games/consoles, jewelry, fast food, etc. They end up barely being able to pay bills. They were behind on rent for three months straight this last summer. They take every little bit they can. My mother has compared it to drug addicts selling whatever they can to get a fix.

Before Halloween, the older children (13M,10F) helped my father stack wood and my mother gave them about $15 dollars a piece. They went to Walmart and spent it with my mother. The next day, the children called her up and said that my aunt forced them to take their toys back under the excuse that they were broken. She kept the money. My mother didn't want to start an argument, but felt bad for the kids and gave them another $15 a piece (I warned her what would happen). My aunt took it again. On Halloween, we had a scavenger hunt and the two happened to receive money in the prizes. She took it. On top of all this, she had convinced the oldest (13M) to sell his PS3 so that she could use the money until she could give it back to him. She gave it back, he spent it on a smart watch. She then sold that and kept the money. For weeks we heard about the money she owed him. She has also taken back/sold gifts for the baby under the excuse that it didn't fit or that she already had one.

So the boiling point has been reached. My mother bought a drone for the oldest (13M) for Christmas. Aunt's husband threw a fit about having to register it and that one of the fans/propellers? was broken. My mother sent it back herself and offered to get something else instead of giving money, as she has learned not to do that at all now. He chose a tablet. We found out a couple of days ago my aunt was trying to sell it. Well today the oldest came in the house and told us that he was supposed to be getting the money. My husband (23M) piped in. He had rode with my aunt to watch her baby in the car while she handled some business about her old rental property yesterday. Come to find out, she had also met someone and sold the tablet... Then got fast food for herself and my husband (he had no idea what was going on) and then used the rest for gas. So, my aunt had sold the tablet, spent the money, and then refused to tell her oldest that it had already been sold.

She's using a local fb group to sell what she can't return.

She has pissed me off completely. I thought I had figured out a way around it. I bought the children a bunch of snacks and candy for Christmas figuring that she wouldn't bother to take it back if it really didn't cost that much. Even got snacks for the baby. Plus, I figured they would be in it before they left my grandparent's house on Christmas Eve, so she couldn't do anything with it anyway. Well, come to find out, what they didn't get a chance to eat, her husband ate. It was all taken from them once they got home.

I can't win for losing.

I'm just wondering if you guys have any advice at all on what to do. I just don't understand how she has no remorse for doing it and doesn't care if we know. If we just refuse to buy anything at all it would upset the children. They know what she is doing is wrong, but they're still kids and like gifts.
:killing:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Hi here’s a divorce case waiting to happen

quote:

Q. My husband’s fantasy life: I discovered this weekend that my husband belongs to a website for people whose spouses or partners cheated on them. He posts there frequently, and he’s talked about our children, our financial struggles, and my infidelity with my boss. The thing is: I’ve never cheated on my husband. It’d be one thing if he’d created a fictional persona for this website. It’d still be misleading and a cause for concern, but the things he writes about our marriage are lies. A few times he takes an argument we had in real life and filters it through the prism of a man whose wife cheated on him.

I’m so upset. I haven’t talked to him yet, and part of me wonders if there’s a reasonable explanation. Why would he invest time creating this false portrait of our marriage? He’s never expressed concerns about my boss to me, and I’m not even that close to the other man. I could use some perspective: How concerning is this discovery?

A: It’s very concerning! It may be common to, say, rehearse arguments in the shower, or to fantasize that we’re more aggrieved than we really are in the midst of a disagreement, or generally to indulge in the occasional Secret Life of Walter Mitty–style fantasy, but this goes way beyond passive imagining and well into questionable territory. He’s presenting a false version of you to strangers in order to feel victimized and heroic at the same time. That takes away time and energy he could have been putting into your actual marriage! Whatever justification your husband tries to offer you—my guess is that his first response will be something along the lines of “I don’t really know why I do this,” followed by “It’s just blowing off steam, I guess” or “It doesn’t mean anything”—know that you have every right to be hurt, that your trust and intimacy have been violated, that your husband needs to find a better strategy for coping with disappointment and insecurity, and that you don’t have to just “get over it.”

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Voting it's a gross fetish thing

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Pirate Radar posted:

Hi here’s a divorce case waiting to happen

Obviously fake: who would put that much energy into lying to strangers?

:v:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Haifisch posted:

Aunt (37F) keeps returning and reselling gifts given to her children (13M,10F,1F) and uses the money to spend on herself and husband.

Give the gifts without the box they come in or any receipts

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

let’s pump the gas, go a little farther than colored hair:

My boyfriend (M/22) said he'd break up with me if I (F/22) ever got lip injections.

To be fair, when I hear something like that I'm immediately thing of this before and after:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

yeah the post says the parents just sell the poo poo on craigslist or facebook if they can't get the refund

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

she'd just sell them on facebook or ebay or a pawn shop.

really the best idea would be to take the kids out as much as possible. you can't return a museum ticket.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

I mean they'll take it back anyway and some underpaid representative will give them the money to just make em go away or they'll just sell it on craigslist. Best suggestion from the reddit thread is just taking them to places/events the mom can't refund afterwards (or even if she somehow did, they already got the experience).

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My wife agrees to care for our niece but in-laws put stipulations around it and it's driving me nuts.

Me: 44M Wife: 46F

​My wife agrees to watch our 4yo niece, who is close to our daughter's age, quite often. 1-2 overnight stays every month due to the fact her brother and his wife have jobs that require frequent travel. That's not a crime but it is the following details that get under my skin:

They always offer to repay the gesture in kind by watching our daughter but that never comes to fruition.
Wife's brother does not trust her to drive on the highway, requires her to drive on side-roads to pick-up/drop-off niece at school which is 45-60min one way from our home.
Beyond the overnight stays there are additional requests to watch my niece at her house. Once every other weekend?
My wife says she wants to help out, and I love her for being a kind person, but I can see she's visibly tired after the visit. She tries to shield me from it but of course I cannot go disappear into my man cave; she needs help with cooking/playing with kids/cleaning up/etc.

I feel like my wife is being taken advantage of and she's agreeing to do it to take the babysitting burden off of her mom, which is admirable, but they in turn like to privately grumble about it the stipulations surrounding how they care for my niece.

When I complain to my wife about it she gets livid and accuses me of being mean and uncaring. It is an extremely hostile reaction (this is the only issue in our marriage).

So I know I cannot DO anything about this, but it would help me to understand what your perception is: am I just being an a-hole? Or am I okay to feel put-out by this situation?

​TL;DR - Brother in law frequently asks wife to watch our niece, does not trust my wife to drive niece on highways, I am offended he doesn't trust my wife and the fact they never watch our daughter to reciprocate.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Haifisch posted:

Beat them both to death with a hammer, starting at the toes and working upwards.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Yeah, most stores will take stuff back without a receipt even if it's against their policy if you make enough of a scene.

It seems like the best option is to just take the kids out somewhere as a gift. Also, post on the facebook group about what they're doing. Not that it will actually make any difference in regards to selling this stuff, but it'll at least piss off the parents and might make them feel the slightest bit of shame. It sounds like no one is actually willing to do anything though because the parents will just not let them see the kids, and apparently the rest of the family is willing to put up with all their bullshit in exchange for that.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

It's like the serial killer triad of starting fires, torturing animals, and wetting the bed but for losers.

Just as someone who works in finance I find bitcoin hilarious because it is so easy to manipulate the market. When you sell a stock you have to sell the whole stock (although it is possible to sell fractional shares as part of a transaction).

Bitcoin exchanges basically allow you to sell 0.0000001 of a bitcoin between your own accounts at insanely inflated prices and then report it as the last transaction and therefore the current price. It is designed to be a giant scam.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

quote:

28k deposit

CA limit is 2x monthly rent for unfurnished and 3x monthly for a furnished rental. So either this is fake or, more likely, it was supposed to say 2.8k deposit.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Drunk Nerds posted:

CA limit is 2x monthly rent for unfurnished and 3x monthly for a furnished rental. So either this is fake or, more likely, it was supposed to say 2.8k deposit.

Knowing the area the fire was in it is completely believable that it was 28k.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Haifisch posted:

Man this OP did a loving fantastic job of making me hate her aunt and uncle with every sentence she wrote about them

I wonder if you could get child services involved here, it's not technically abuse but it sure sounds like neglect

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Knowing the area the fire was in it is completely believable that it was 28k.

Yeah, no.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I just checked, and the woman replied to a commenter and said her rent in the house was $14K a month.

So I guess $28k or whatever makes sense as a deposit??

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, yes?

You know the Woolsey Fire was in Malibu right?

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I just checked, and the woman replied to a commenter and said her rent in the house was $14K a month.

So I guess $28k or whatever makes sense as a deposit??

Yeah and they can definitely afford a lawyer and lol they might have to *gasp* live down for a while.

Lol at 14k a month rent.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
Wasn’t there another post like that a million years ago in this thread? I remember a similar story that culminated in the relatives giving kids a bunch of candy and snacks for Christmas with the logic that they couldn’t be resold and their dad taking them away and eating them all himself.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My (f29) boyfriend (m30) thinks staying at his moms for days after a heated argument is normal and common practice.

We have had a very turbulent past over the last 5 years and almost any heated argument we have he runs to his mom's house and ends up sleeping on her couch. I have a daughter (6) who has only known him as a father. Her bio dad is not in the picture at all.

He generally thinks it's normal to leave us by ourselves at home for a night. sometimes up to a week but usually anywhere from a day to three days.

I get upset because his mom's house is generally their family hub and family usually passes through back and forth pretty consistently. Every time they see him there they know we're fighting. It's a total choice on his part to stay there and it's very rare where I don't allow him to come home. Usually the reason I don't allow him back is because he leaves to begin with.

I feel like it causes instability because my daughter, although not present for the fights, knows he's not home because "my dad is upset." I feel like it just invites family gossip, which is common in his family (we're Mexican) into the inner workings of our lives together. His Mom is also a traditional Mexican Mom and cooks/cleans and generally takes care of him while he's there. Both his siblings also live there (m22) (f26/ds4)

I tried to explain that normal adults in a family setting do not do this and it's not normal for him to just run to his mom's house. I could understand if he needed to cool down and came back and we resolved things. It's just become burdensome because now I feel like his family thinks of me a certain way and since they are so close I don't always feel comfortable being there. To be clear he has a short temper and this is almost over any conflict at this point. Am I overreacting? Is this more common than I'm aware of? Both my grandparents, while alive lived in the same city and I don't ever remember my parents leaving to stay with them during conflict. Is this healthy?

TL;DR Boyfriend runs to his mom's house every time we fight and thinks it's common or normal even "healthy." Trying to reason otherwise. Am I overreacting?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

(AZ) Our neighbors dog was poisoned. Police want to look through our "internet history" (a very nebulous term). Wife says we should let them because we have nothing to hide. I say absolutely not. How should we proceed?

I guess some background is in order here. Earlier this year a new set of neighbors moved in and they brought with them 3 very loud dogs who they let bark and bay 24 hours a day. We were the first people to go talk with them and they got better for maybe 20 minutes and they just let the dogs back outside to continue on.

Our city has a policy where noise complaints can be made to animal control so we did that which did nothing. The next step was to go to a city sponsored mediation at which point the dog's owners agreed to keep them inside. They did this for maybe 3 days and then we were back to square one. The next step is to take them before a judge who gave them a pretty hefty fine with the admonition to take care of the problem. This all took about 10 months with literally only a days total of these dogs not barking.

So they were quiet for about a month after the court date but slowly and surely they started barking again at all hours. We tried to go over and speak to them but this time they very clearly insinuated that barking dogs were their "right" and we needed to get the gently caress off their property.

So we decided the only way was to start the process over with animal control as well as contacting our own lawyer to see about taking them to civil court. We have yet to contact the lawyer.

We had made the initial report to animal control last Thursday when we got a knock on our door and it was a uniformed police officer who said something like "do you have any antifreeze?" I was really taken aback and I think I asked "I think so, do you need some?"

He then spoke something into the walkie talkie on his epulat and asked if he could come. I literally had no idea what was going on and then he explained that one of the neighbors dogs had been poisoned and asked if we knew them. I explained that I actually didn't know who he was talking about (the other two dogs hadn't stopped barking after the other dog died, and I really have no way of knowing which dog is which). He said it was this family and said that they had told him we had a history of "being cruel to his dogs." I got out the whole file folder including my logs talking to the neighbors, the calls to animal control, my copy of the letters, mediation agreement and judges order as well as written down links to the youtube channel we created in order to document the barking via audio.

The officer then asked if he could take everything. I said I wasn't comfortable with that but I would be happy to make a copies today at work and drop them off at the local substation. I did exactly this. I was met by a uniformed supervisor who said that he would like to send a "specialist" over to our house and look through our "internet history" to see what we've been looking up. Again I was taken completely aback and said that I'm not sure what he'd be looking for. He told me that was up to them to decide what they'd be looking for. It took me as second but I asked him to better define "specialist" and "internet history" and he said that at this time he couldn't do that for me. I asked him if somehow we were suspects and he said (if I remember) "not yet." I asked him if I could leave, he said yes and again asked if his "specialist" could come over tonight. I said I would really rather not but I would get back in touch with him. He gave me his card and we said goodbye.

I just got home and told my wife. My wife insists that we invite him over right now to have them look through our computer. We have nothing on there that would tie us to any sort of dog death but I feel it's insane to just the police look through the nebulous "internet history" without them being very specific as to who is doing and what they are looking for.

She thinks that by not letting them we are making ourselves look very guilty. I say we are not guilty because we aren't freaking guilty and it's there job to find out who really did it. it sucks those people's dog died but we have followed the letter of the law and been exceedingly patient even though our once quiet house has been miserable for almost a year. I'm actually really annoyed that our willingness to play by the rules seemed to highlight us.

Thank you very much for any advice.

tl;dr: neighbors dog was apparently poisoned. Police want to look through our "internet history" with no real defined purpose or reason. Wife thinks we should let them, I say absolutely not.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My (f29) boyfriend (m30) thinks staying at his moms for days after a heated argument is normal and common practice.

We have had a very turbulent past over the last 5 years and almost any heated argument we have he runs to his mom's house and ends up sleeping on her couch. I have a daughter (6) who has only known him as a father. Her bio dad is not in the picture at all.

He generally thinks it's normal to leave us by ourselves at home for a night. sometimes up to a week but usually anywhere from a day to three days.

I get upset because his mom's house is generally their family hub and family usually passes through back and forth pretty consistently. Every time they see him there they know we're fighting. It's a total choice on his part to stay there and it's very rare where I don't allow him to come home. Usually the reason I don't allow him back is because he leaves to begin with.

I feel like it causes instability because my daughter, although not present for the fights, knows he's not home because "my dad is upset." I feel like it just invites family gossip, which is common in his family (we're Mexican) into the inner workings of our lives together. His Mom is also a traditional Mexican Mom and cooks/cleans and generally takes care of him while he's there. Both his siblings also live there (m22) (f26/ds4)

I tried to explain that normal adults in a family setting do not do this and it's not normal for him to just run to his mom's house. I could understand if he needed to cool down and came back and we resolved things. It's just become burdensome because now I feel like his family thinks of me a certain way and since they are so close I don't always feel comfortable being there. To be clear he has a short temper and this is almost over any conflict at this point. Am I overreacting? Is this more common than I'm aware of? Both my grandparents, while alive lived in the same city and I don't ever remember my parents leaving to stay with them during conflict. Is this healthy?

TL;DR Boyfriend runs to his mom's house every time we fight and thinks it's common or normal even "healthy." Trying to reason otherwise. Am I overreacting?

You're overinvested in a manbaby. Isn't dealing with one child enough?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah, yes?

You know the Woolsey Fire was in Malibu right?

Yeah and they can definitely afford a lawyer and lol they might have to *gasp* live down for a while.

Lol at 14k a month rent.

Sorry, I grew up in N CA and my family's properties have been super close to the fire lines the last three years, evacuated, etc. I conflated the Woolsey fire as being one of those up here - (I remember a local politician with the last name Woolsey, perhaps that's why,) I just looked and you are correct, my apologies.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I [25M] am turned off by my partner's[25F] "O face"

This is, wow, super childish of me, but here goes.

Im pretty sexually active, in an open relationship with my partner, and not to overcomplicate things but i dont like the way she orgasms. Otherwise, the sex is great and im attracted to her(body, mind and soul)

I havent bought it up (our relationship is stable and healthy and communicative elsewise) because it seems like the sort of thing she (or anyone) cant really control.

Anyone have any advice?

Tl;dr - how do you deal with something your partner has no control over, but that you personally cant stand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

(AZ) Our neighbors dog was poisoned. Police want to look through our "internet history" (a very nebulous term). Wife says we should let them because we have nothing to hide. I say absolutely not. How should we proceed?

I guess some background is in order here. Earlier this year a new set of neighbors moved in and they brought with them 3 very loud dogs who they let bark and bay 24 hours a day. We were the first people to go talk with them and they got better for maybe 20 minutes and they just let the dogs back outside to continue on.

Our city has a policy where noise complaints can be made to animal control so we did that which did nothing. The next step was to go to a city sponsored mediation at which point the dog's owners agreed to keep them inside. They did this for maybe 3 days and then we were back to square one. The next step is to take them before a judge who gave them a pretty hefty fine with the admonition to take care of the problem. This all took about 10 months with literally only a days total of these dogs not barking.

So they were quiet for about a month after the court date but slowly and surely they started barking again at all hours. We tried to go over and speak to them but this time they very clearly insinuated that barking dogs were their "right" and we needed to get the gently caress off their property.

So we decided the only way was to start the process over with animal control as well as contacting our own lawyer to see about taking them to civil court. We have yet to contact the lawyer.

We had made the initial report to animal control last Thursday when we got a knock on our door and it was a uniformed police officer who said something like "do you have any antifreeze?" I was really taken aback and I think I asked "I think so, do you need some?"

He then spoke something into the walkie talkie on his epulat and asked if he could come. I literally had no idea what was going on and then he explained that one of the neighbors dogs had been poisoned and asked if we knew them. I explained that I actually didn't know who he was talking about (the other two dogs hadn't stopped barking after the other dog died, and I really have no way of knowing which dog is which). He said it was this family and said that they had told him we had a history of "being cruel to his dogs." I got out the whole file folder including my logs talking to the neighbors, the calls to animal control, my copy of the letters, mediation agreement and judges order as well as written down links to the youtube channel we created in order to document the barking via audio.

The officer then asked if he could take everything. I said I wasn't comfortable with that but I would be happy to make a copies today at work and drop them off at the local substation. I did exactly this. I was met by a uniformed supervisor who said that he would like to send a "specialist" over to our house and look through our "internet history" to see what we've been looking up. Again I was taken completely aback and said that I'm not sure what he'd be looking for. He told me that was up to them to decide what they'd be looking for. It took me as second but I asked him to better define "specialist" and "internet history" and he said that at this time he couldn't do that for me. I asked him if somehow we were suspects and he said (if I remember) "not yet." I asked him if I could leave, he said yes and again asked if his "specialist" could come over tonight. I said I would really rather not but I would get back in touch with him. He gave me his card and we said goodbye.

I just got home and told my wife. My wife insists that we invite him over right now to have them look through our computer. We have nothing on there that would tie us to any sort of dog death but I feel it's insane to just the police look through the nebulous "internet history" without them being very specific as to who is doing and what they are looking for.

She thinks that by not letting them we are making ourselves look very guilty. I say we are not guilty because we aren't freaking guilty and it's there job to find out who really did it. it sucks those people's dog died but we have followed the letter of the law and been exceedingly patient even though our once quiet house has been miserable for almost a year. I'm actually really annoyed that our willingness to play by the rules seemed to highlight us.

Thank you very much for any advice.

tl;dr: neighbors dog was apparently poisoned. Police want to look through our "internet history" with no real defined purpose or reason. Wife thinks we should let them, I say absolutely not.

Divorce your narc wife, find someone who doesn't bend over for cops reaching beyond their authority. When it comes to the cops, say nothing. You have the right to remain silent and it is always in your best interests to do so, especially if you're innocent