Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

This seems really irresponsible behavior by both the cops and suspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Suburban Dad posted:

Appears to be. And if you hear the audio they set up a spike strip. So blown out tires with a little braking and see ya later. Who knows though. Buddy of mine sent it and thought it was share worthy.

We're thinking about kid 2 (though after the first I will continue to try and convince wife that 1 is good 'nuff :v:) and damned if a minivan doesn't make the most sense. I'm still trying to convince myself that a Buick Tourx wouldn't be a cool rear end wagon instead, though.

We've got 3 and well.. there might be another one on the way? :boom: We'll see how this shakes out.

With 2, you could still go either way (SUV or van) and have great utility. Most wagon's these days still don't have the space for a rear facing seat without impacting the driver/front passenger, which blows.
If they still made the mazda 5, I'd push for something like that in your case. That said.. man.. even with just 2 kids our '15 odyssey is great. Loads of space for anything, and while not the most powerful engine in Honda's lineup, is still great and quiet/smooth. By comparison, our rental '18 grand caravan for a trip to New Orleans was hot garbage in every way.

Good luck, no matter what.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

meatpimp posted:

What the gently caress is up with those? I was looking last week after seeing a ... Buick... wagon on a tv commercial. I knew nothing about them. 250hp ain't much, but at a $30k buy-in with a 4-year warranty, it certainly looks the part.

I was just talking about this the other day with my dad.

I seriously don't understand how Buick even still exists tbh.

I heard that the brand does really well in China?

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Motherfucker, dude, you are having a poo poo year. Any chance you're near Philly so I can drop off a case of beer (or a good bottle of liquor)? You need a loving break.

Nah, I'm down in coastal VA now. I appreciate it though. If you really feel up to it, take that money and donate it to a rescue, hospitalization is nowhere near as expensive as human hospitalization, but it's still hard for a lot of people. Looking at about 3k for the first couple days.

I never say "zucchini bread" to people that haven't had it. I just tell them it's the most moist, delicious spice cake they've ever had, because it is. My mom will die with her recipe, because she's a dick and refuses to tell me the alterations she's made. Just like her spaghetti sauce.

meatpimp posted:

Super poo poo bout of luck there. :( Best wishes for the doggo, and your wife will heel. :unsmith:

I see what you did there

Lil baby thunderfist seems to have perked up with a bunch of fluids, the vet is optimistic. We caught it early.

Five guys is by far the best in this area, but I've had a whole lot of standalone places that blow it out of the water. Looking at you, pickle barrel in Chattanooga.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Suburban Dad posted:

Appears to be. And if you hear the audio they set up a spike strip. So blown out tires with a little braking and see ya later. Who knows though. Buddy of mine sent it and thought it was share worthy.

Looks like he tried to avoid the strip, over corrected and lost control.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

meatpimp posted:

What the gently caress is up with those? I was looking last week after seeing a ... Buick... wagon on a tv commercial. I knew nothing about them. 250hp ain't much, but at a $30k buy-in with a 4-year warranty, it certainly looks the part.

It's an Opel Insignia wagon that's been tarted up by slightly higher ride height and plastic fender cladding. :( Otherwise it has a decent engine (2.0 LTG turbo). I'm a bit annoyed that you have to get the highest trim to get heated seats, though. Oh, and nobody is buying them so the incentives are pretty decent. $11k off MSRP is pretty enticing.

I can't imagine it'll be for sale much longer, sadly.

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Most wagon's these days still don't have the space for a rear facing seat without impacting the driver/front passenger, which blows.

This is my main concern as my current GTI has this problem. If it doesn't meet this, then that's a deal breaker. My wife's Outback manages it just fine to have the rear facing kid seated behind the driver, even with 6'1" me driving. This thing sounds pretty comparable size wise but I've yet to get serious about testing it out since we're nowhere near ready for a 2nd anyway. It's just going to be a lingering thought until then.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Guys.. I may be broken. I really, REALLY, want an electric minivan.

help :ohdear:

edit: and maybe an imported stagea for winter hooniganism.

I only know of the nissan e-NV200, are there others available?

spog posted:

I did some home electrics.

Not only did I do it and it worked, but I didn't cut a single corner - not even the easy ones that we usually do (like reusing a mounting hole in drywall when it was worn, but probably would have been okay)

Good man. I wired in a new socket I put in on the landing then replaced a dimmer that no longer dimmed the living room lights, a couple of hours later the new one failed the same way, turns out the only bulbs I have no spares of are on their way out. I had to replace 3 1000lm 6000k bulbs with halogen bulbs temporarily, the room feels dark and orange in comparison.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Suburban Dad posted:

It's an Opel Insignia wagon that's been tarted up by slightly higher ride height and plastic fender cladding. :( Otherwise it has a decent engine (2.0 LTG turbo). I'm a bit annoyed that you have to get the highest trim to get heated seats, though. Oh, and nobody is buying them so the incentives are pretty decent. $11k off MSRP is pretty enticing.

I can't imagine it'll be for sale much longer, sadly.

Probably a good deal. The Insignia has gotten pretty good reviews in Europe. Not as good looking as the Insignia with the plastic cladding and so on, but still cool. Certainly beats the CUVs and SUVs and does stand out a bit in the US.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fermented Tinal posted:

The shop won't return my insurance adjuster's calls and emails.

My adjuster's response has been to send the appraiser back out without notifying the shop. Guess I'll find out more in the next few days.

It took 29 days before State Farm agreed to fix my car after the vandalism. During which someone hit and runned my father's car that he had lent me. Buckle in, it's not fun.

Here's some HAUS progress

Paint finished, I was just messing around with how the flooring would transition into the bathroom and suddenly I'd used up 3 boxes. Should be able to knock it out the master and closet tomorrow.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Looking forward to tomorrow's "Guys, my knees really hurt" post.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Insurance company assured me they're on my side and are unhappy that the shop is acting like this, especially since I'm supposed to have the car back by now.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I like the floor. Why didn't you tape/mask the trim? Or did you and that paint is just on the tape?

What are you using for an underlay?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

meatpimp posted:

When I did the floors in my house I picked up a pair of non-marring kneepads with the result being that my knees were okay but my back killed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

I wore knee pads but they still hurt!

slidebite posted:

I like the floor. Why didn't you tape/mask the trim? Or did you and that paint is just on the tape?

What are you using for an underlay?

I pulled all the trim so I could patch, sand, prime and paint all of it at once. I will reinstall it so it rests directly on the flooring and it should look pretty good. This room is the priority since it's where we'll be sleeping but I'm on track and should be able to knock out a could rooms by friday.

This flooring has the underlay already attached.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Suburban Dad posted:

Appears to be. And if you hear the audio they set up a spike strip.

Genius move on the cops' part - lets set up a spike strip in the middle of a bunch of parked cars in a residential area. What's the worst that could happen?

Hope everyone that got hit has un/underinsured coverage because I seriously doubt the Cobalt's policy is going to pay on that (assuming it was insured at all/not stolen) and the cops' qualified immunity will indemnify them and their department from liability.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Rhyno posted:

I pulled all the trim so I could patch, sand, prime and paint all of it at once. I will reinstall it so it rests directly on the flooring and it should look pretty good. This room is the priority since it's where we'll be sleeping but I'm on track and should be able to knock out a could rooms by friday.

This flooring has the underlay already attached.

I mean around the windows and door. Are you doing something different there?

Also, you probably know this already, but make sure when you lay it that the floor isn't tight against the wall, there should be a bit of a gap there. The baseboards will hide it.

That built-on underlay isn't great but it's better than nothing. You might want to get a piece of thin underlay and try the floor with/without it and see if you prefer it with. A flooring store might give you a few sq/ft to try, or even if not buy some. It can make a pretty big difference.
e: It also helps if your subfloor isn't perfect

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 17, 2018

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

cakesmith handyman posted:

I only know of the nissan e-NV200, are there others available?

Not really. The pacifica is a plug-in hybrid, but lol chrysler. Rumor's of Honda going electric in the next couple of years, but unconfirmed. Also VW working on the ID Buzz, but I doubt that'll be big enough.

Just seems like the perfect use case to me. Huge wheel base to throw batteries under, and if you can put the range to 150mi+, then I don't see any reason most families couldn't get one.

We'll see what shakes down I guess.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Geoj posted:

Genius move on the cops' part - lets set up a spike strip in the middle of a bunch of parked cars in a residential area. What's the worst that could happen?

Hope everyone that got hit has un/underinsured coverage because I seriously doubt the Cobalt's policy is going to pay on that (assuming it was insured at all/not stolen) and the cops' qualified immunity will indemnify them and their department from liability.

Pretty sure all those folks were stopped there because the cops made them due to a lunatic approaching. Not sure who thought that was the best option.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

T-Square posted:

I definitely get "gently caress I need a Culver's burger" cravings, but Kopp's is the poo poo. Giant rear end burger and they always have dope custard flavors of the day. Also, re: fried cheese curds, Cousin's Subs cheese curds kick the poo poo out of Culver's, and their fries are better than anyone's too. I don't like Culver's crinkle-cut fries and I've never been a fan of 5 Guys fries.

Oscar's gets an honorable mention as well, don't know if you have one of those by you either. Although I just realized I've never had their custard. And you can get mozz sticks instead of boring fries.

Thanks for coming to my local Wisconsin Fast Food Ted Talk :btroll:

It's great to have options - Culver's is great to me though because they're all over the place. Can't argue against Kopp's or Oscar's though.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Culvers burgers are meh. Their ice cream (custard) is really good tho. Still haven't had anything that really rivals 5 guys yet, haven't tried smash burger but it sounds like that isn't going to impress me either, oh well.

The Culver's burgers that really take it up for me are the pub buger special ones - there was one they were running for a while that was built around pickled onions and beer cheese sauce on a pretzel bun (I mean in addition to the patty and stuff obviously)

Also was introduced to Georgie Porgie's the other day and would do that again.

Yay Wisconsin! There's a reason why we're fat!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
My house has carpet now

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Geoj posted:

Best part is the guy was probably wanted for some fantastic crime like "Failure to pay child support" but it isn't every day the cops in Castle Rock get to deploy the spike strip DHS gave them to counter the ISIS migrant caravans etc. that pop up in rural Maine

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I would not want to be that department's attorney today.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

nm posted:

I would not want to be that department's attorney today.

They get paid either way.

They are gonna lose, but they still get paid.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The janitor still gets paid the day someone turns the toilet into a chili fountain, ain't mean it's not a lovely day

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Gymkhana 10 is out and it's pretty awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_KBvP0_8Tc

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Somewhat Heroic posted:

As a government attorney, no one like to do annoying work where you know you're gonna get your rear end handed to you.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Was it this thread or the last people were making great bourbon recommendations?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Honestly that comes up like every month around here.

Also...there are :siren::siren: four days left to get your Sheep Game answers in...I've heard from 35 players so far, which is short of my goal. The more people who play the better and more hilarious the result, so why not play? If you've never played the Sheep Game before, come give it a try!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

call my mom :cry:

Lol what's mom gonna do for you in that situation.

Concussions make you say some weird poo poo sometimes, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mom's watching the grandkid.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Their pay and the settlements will come out of tax dollars too. :smith:

Powershift posted:

This may be heresy, but that did nothing for me. It's all closed-course stunt driving with a sfx budget and a ton of jump cuts and special effects. Basically an over-long Ford commercial.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 18, 2018

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Powershift posted:

RIP Cossie :(

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Liquid Communism posted:

This may be heresy, but that did nothing for me. It's all closed-course stunt driving with a sfx budget and a ton of jump cuts and special effects. Basically an over-long Ford commercial.

Yea I'm with you. They are technically great and no doubt its skilled driving but I get bored after like the third donuts around a thing with the back end inches from another thing, especially the slo-mo cuts. I can't stand slo-mo anyway, roadkill does it a lot too and ugh, it's so cheesy. The F150 is awesome so I just skipped to that to see and hear it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

slidebite posted:

I mean around the windows and door. Are you doing something different there?

Also, you probably know this already, but make sure when you lay it that the floor isn't tight against the wall, there should be a bit of a gap there. The baseboards will hide it.

That built-on underlay isn't great but it's better than nothing. You might want to get a piece of thin underlay and try the floor with/without it and see if you prefer it with. A flooring store might give you a few sq/ft to try, or even if not buy some. It can make a pretty big difference.
e: It also helps if your subfloor isn't perfect

Oh there's tape on all that trim. Since we're under a slight time crunch we'll throw down some drop cloths and paint the window frames and doorways. Hoping to do that on Wednesday. My wife got the entire basement into it's second coat of primer and got the ceiling painted. So we're ready for finish paint down there and then all the trim. We might actually pull this off!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Cops should have never deployed spike strip in a res neighborhood that is against anything smart I know plenty of good cops.

We just got a 5 guys and I have nothing bad to say but the price. And I know some Wendy’s are not good but local one is and the $1.79 cb deluxe is something I only treat myself to every few months but ya gotta just eat it the second you get it

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
So. Adult Legos. Discuss.

Liquid Communism posted:

Same.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

ilkhan posted:

Awesome

Next question pls

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

ilkhan posted:

Same.

what makes them adult?
Full of booze? You end up with a fleshlight after?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

ilkhan posted:

Pros: You are a grown-rear end person with your own money and nobody to say "No", and "It's too expensive".

Cons: All the sets you wanted as a kid are even more :10bux: and harder to find. You still buy them anyways.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Looks like he tried to avoid the strip, over corrected and lost control.

Bingo. He nailed the strip (you can see it go flying up in the air if you watch frame by frame), but tires don't instantly deflate when spiked. That was 100% driver fuckup.

Geoj posted:

Hope everyone that got hit has un/underinsured coverage because I seriously doubt the Cobalt's policy is going to pay on that (assuming it was insured at all/not stolen)

Even if that was the named insured driving, insurance generally says "lol get bent" if the incident happened during the commission of a felony.

And if they're after you with spike strips, you dun' hosed up good. In TX, evading arrest can be a misdemeanor or felony - it's automatically upgraded to a state jail felony if you use a vehicle trying to get away. I would think most other states are similar. So there goes your insurance coverage.

call my mom :cry:

Lol what's mom gonna do for you in that situation.

Probably caught a face full of dashboard and was dazed/concussed. Judging by the chiming with the engine still running, at least one airbag went off too.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Pros: You are a grown-rear end person with your own money and nobody to say "No", and "It's too expensive".

Cons: All the sets you wanted as a kid are even more :10bux: and harder to find. You still buy them anyways.
I'm gonna build a set of custom models. No sets needed! Just a bunch of random bricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
So I don't think I need an excuse to go to a car show, but I'm trying to get some buds to go to Radwood in Austin next February the 23rd. As far as I know it's at Driveway Austin Motorsports as far as I can tell right now. So anyone in Austin or around there (I'm going from Houston) we can meet up for 80's-90's car whatnot. Entrance is ten bucks, to show a car (1980-1999) is $30. Kids 12 and under free.