Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I bought the fanciest pots and pans that the store carried, but when I put a pot of water on the stove the water never boils, I came back an hour later and it was still cold. So apparently my pots are defective, so instead I put some meat on a fork and put it in the microwave but it started sparking super bad and I had to turn it off, what a loving scam!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Colonel Cancer posted:

It's a bit like people who can't cook. And I don't mean some fancy sous chef poo poo, just most basic of basic dishes. It's still their choice but you should freely dunk on them.

Putting a computer together isn't like wiring your house or building all your furniture by hand. It's more like frying some eggs or a burger patty.

I didn't say they couldn't I said most people don't give a gently caress.

It's like running up to someone taking a selfie on their phone and going "Um actually that picture would be better if you put together a good DSLR setup". That wouldn't happen though because other hobbists are about 100 times more self aware than PC gamers.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

It's like running up to someone taking a selfie on their phone and going "Um actually that picture would be better if you put together a good DSLR setup". That wouldn't happen though because other hobbists are about 100 times more self aware than PC gamers.

I've never ever seen someone tell another person to build a PC though. What kind of regrettable life choices have you made that resulted in this being a common occurrence?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Putting a computer together is more along the lines of Lego or just setting up what used to be called a home entertainment system. You just need to plug things into the right places and you're set.

signalnoise posted:

The tangentially conflicting opinions found next to each other are great. "I just want it to look good for the games I want to play and for not a lot of money" and "Switch bad" complement each other super well as someone who likes the mainstream entries on the Switch for gameplay and thinks they look good because good art direction makes up for any lack of pseudo 4k resolution. It's been a very tasty last few pages

Yeah, doesn't help that the games showing off the latest fanciest graphics technology end up all using it for the latest brown smudgy battlefields and indistinguishable man with gun models drowned out by bloom lighting. Good graphical design beats cutting edge any day. Of course, having both is nice.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
DSLR is professional equipment that costs a lot of money and has little use outside of a hobby or profession.

Pretty much anyone from lower middle class and up uses a computer for work or entertaiment, and yes that includes tablets and smartphones that often cost more than a decent desktop or gaming console.

People are free to not give a gently caress but at some point it just gets laughable.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Oh look at me my phone is filled up with photos. Guess it's time to throw it in the trash and buy a new one!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

I've never ever seen someone tell another person to build a PC though. What kind of regrettable life choices have you made that resulted in this being a common occurrence?

Signing up for the Something Awful forums.

Colonel Cancer posted:

DSLR is professional equipment that costs a lot of money and has little use outside of a hobby or profession.

Pretty much anyone from lower middle class and up uses a computer for work or entertaiment, and yes that includes tablets and smartphones that often cost more than a decent desktop or gaming console.

People are free to not give a gently caress but at some point it just gets laughable.

The fact that you think it's laughable that people would rather play games in a way that isn't your preferred method is pretty much PC gamers in a nutshell.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
You need food to live. You need healthy, well prepared food to live without feeling like a bag of poo poo all the time. Stop comparing apples to oranges.

If you want to build your own PC, that's great. I see the appeal. I don't want to though. A lot of people don't. Probably most people don't.

The fact that you have to to avoid a massive price tag is insane. And even then it's still too expensive.

Literally every other tech thing you can buy has become more powerful for less money. But it's accepted that with PCs the costs keep going up. This seems, to me, dumb and like a scam.

Answer honestly, how many people arguing in favour of building your own PC did it sitting in some unpardonably hideous black and red "gaming chair". It's like y'all hate having money.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

joedevola posted:

Answer honestly, how many people arguing in favour of building your own PC did it sitting in some unpardonably hideous black and red "gaming chair". It's like y'all hate having money.

the last time i built a computer i was sitting on the floor and my only chairs were the two aluminum wireframe ones that came with the apartment

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

joedevola posted:

If you want to build your own PC, that's great. I see the appeal. I don't want to though. A lot of people don't. Probably most people don't.

The fact that you have to to avoid a massive price tag is insane. And even then it's still too expensive.

You don't though, you can get a good PC from any of the big manufacturers (Lenovo, Dell, etc) and it'll probably be less expensive than if you have purchased the same components and assembled them yourself. People who build their own want to be able to customize the build, but you don't have to do that

joedevola posted:

I have never owned a gaming chair, when I was younger I used an old (but comfy) desk chair that I found outside of the astronomy department with a "free" sign on it and these days I use my living room couch

What does "arguing in favor of building your own PC" even mean in this case, arguing that it's fine for that option to exist? No one is saying that you have to assemble your own computer

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Building a PC is a lot cheaper than buying a finished one. It's fairly simple too

Since you only have to do it like once every 5 years it's not really a big deal. Games don't really require a lot these days so you can actually probably last more than 5 years now.

If I could buy a TV and just slot it together like a PC for a cheaper price I'd do it as well.

It's like IKEA but for a PC

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Zzulu posted:

Building a PC is a lot cheaper than buying a finished one. It's fairly simple too

Since you only have to do it like once every 5 years it's not really a big deal. Games don't really require a lot these days so you can actually probably last more than 5 years now

It really depends on what you want, if you're trying to optimize the cost/performance curve then you can do a lot better than a prebuilt system but if you just want something that can play recent video games pretty well then a prebuilt system is both fine and cheap.

Like here's a $680 gaming PC, buying the same components and a Win10 license how much cheaper can you really get?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Lol, massive price tag. We aren't talking about normal well adjusted people, this is a videogame thread. And last time I checked, pretty much any current generation console costs like 400$, not counting games that go 60-80$ a pop.

That is a lot of money for a device that's more specialized than a simple desktop. Like if all you want to do is pay bills and maybe play a fun low power indie game once a fortnight, a 200$ refurbished office computer will do it.

A 400$ pre-built, maybe with a 150$ GPU, will be more than sufficient for gaming at low-medium quality.

Some kinda watercooled 2000$ computers are for losers who either mine bitcoins or try to get 4k max quality poo poo on a large TV, not an average PC owner.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Decking it out with all the blinky lights like a Christmas tree looks fun though.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

Mine is that virtually everything in Dark Souls 3 is great and it's the best Dark Souls game by a mile.

I've come to popularize this good opinion.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Elman posted:

You can just go to the PC hardware SA thread, pick the recommended pieces for your price range and buy the whole thing online so it'll be assembled and sent to you.

Yeah PC hardware is insanely overpriced right now for a variety of reasons, but figuring out what you should buy isn't much of a problem.

Yeah, there are 1000000000 numbers that don't matter. Just ask goons and they will tell you the three or four that do.

In my case an old i5 4570, an ssd for Windows,8 gig of bullshit RAM and a gtx 970 are plenty good enough for every game ever.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Colonel Cancer posted:

It's a bit like people who can't cook. And I don't mean some fancy sous chef poo poo, just most basic of basic dishes. It's still their choice but you should freely dunk on them.

Putting a computer together isn't like wiring your house or building all your furniture by hand. It's more like frying some eggs or a burger patty.

It used to require some skill, back when heatsinks didn't come with mediocre thermal paste pre-applied and you had to force down heatsink clips with a screwdriver, praying you didn't slip off and crack your motherboard, and sites like pcpartpicker didn't exist. You had to research the market to see what was compatible, and return processes were lovely, and you had to know little poo poo like making sure you orient the CPU because if you didn't, you'd break pins. Now if you orient the CPU wrong you just try to push the lever down and it doesn't work. Now we have those websites, we have youtube and you can just punch in "how to build a PC" and get a shitload of guides if you're inclined to build a PC.

I have no problem with people who simply don't want to build a PC. Hell, I don't want to build another PC and if I get in the market for a new one, I am really tempted to just get a high end NUC like the Hades Canyon, or just not buy a new PC at all because I don't care. However, telling people you think building a PC means you're a sucker is dumb as gently caress, and saying it's dumb because you haven't tried to learn how to do it when there's a shitload of information available on the web about it is some contrived bullshit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skCmOWfesrs

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

:qq: the selection of adult-sized velcro shoes is so small this is clearly a conspiracy to make me waste time tying knots all the time, unlike the rest of you idiots I have standards and never lowered myself to the level of having to learn how to tie shoe laces like some rube

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gaming PCs are only really crazy expensive if you are trying to be 4k/VR "ready," which I don't recommend based on personal experience, because very few games get any benefit or are designed for 4K, and all VR games are terrible. Your GPU, the major cost sink to any gaming computer, will perform better on the standard 1080 monitor.

("Crazy expensive" here being $2,000. If you are paying more than for a PC you hosed up).

The crypto bubble is bursting, which is going to make it less appealing to just buy a pre-built system now that fewer morons are daisy-chaining thousand-dollar cards in their basement, but it's still not a significant cost to go that way, and makes it easier to just rely on a single warranty for the entire machine that may even provide free repair work.

So no, I don't look down my nose at people who don't want to spend weeks loving around with parts pickers, waiting for poo poo to arrive, and assembling it correctly. That's honestly never been necessary and people who act like it's what you have to do and also it's really easy are inevitably turbonerds who probably have wasted weeks of their short lives trying to figure out what part on their totally-worth-it custom build isn't working so they can send it back.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Dec 18, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I just asked my stepbrother to pick out parts and put it together for me. That was still basically just making a shopping list and heading to the computer parts place to pick it all out, plus whatever case looked nice.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Sodomy Hussein posted:

So no, I don't look down my nose at people who don't want to spend weeks loving around with parts pickers, waiting for poo poo to arrive, and assembling it correctly. That's honestly never been necessary and people who act like it's what you have to do and also it's really easy are inevitably turbonerds who probably have wasted weeks of their short lives trying to figure out what part on their totally-worth-it custom build isn't working so they can send it back.

I'd honestly go as far as to say high end PC gaming could just be considered an enthusiast hobby at this point with consoles being as good as they are. If you want to play games that aren't available on the current generation of consoles, being either new games or older ones on their download stores, you're an enthusiast turbonerd anyway. If you are upset that a particular game isn't on the SNES classic, so you hack it and install roms, you're engaging in enthusiast hobbying. If you gotta have your own Dreamcast or N64 or whatever so you can play those games ~like they're meant to be played~, you're an enthusiast. So yeah, if you're not gonna be an enthusiast gamer turbonerd and you don't justify buying a PC by using it for work, get some cheap all-in-one box so you can use basic utilities because consoles do what you want. Stuff that isn't available directly for purchase without configuration is enthusiast nerd poo poo. If you wanna buy an enthusiast nerd thing pre-made you're gonna be buying it from someone who knows that's who you are and charge you for it no matter what the product is.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
pc gaming is more expensive than console gaming but it's a superior experience so it evens out imo

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

When I made my last pc, one of my ram sticks was defective and would hard freeze the computer randomly after a few hours, and it took me so long to figure out what was wrong with it.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

have you ever met a hobbyist

they're all about making GBS threads on your choices for inferior quality goods

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ishikabibble posted:

have you ever met a hobbyist

they're all about making GBS threads on your choices for inferior quality goods

and they will do this about literally everything. Crazy straws. Model trains. Matchstick sculptures. Crotchet. There is no bottom.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is it really true that pre-built branded desktops are cheaper than their DIY equivalents? I haven’t looked at a branded desktop in ages but I find that unlikely

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Vegetable posted:

Is it really true that pre-built branded desktops are cheaper than their DIY equivalents? I haven’t looked at a branded desktop in ages but I find that unlikely

No, the guy arguing otherwise is a broke-brained Nintendo type

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Setting up a RetroPie is more exciting than actually playing games on it, because 99.9% of games pre ~2000 are terrible

Most of the rest have modern remakes/sequels that are better.

Then there are a tiny handful that are fun if you're drunk/high with friends that you might bust out once every few months.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Caesar Saladin posted:

When I made my last pc, one of my ram sticks was defective and would hard freeze the computer randomly after a few hours, and it took me so long to figure out what was wrong with it.

the exact same thing happened to me on my last build except it took like an hour to diagnose because it was clearly happening when i used more RAM so running memtest was basically step 1

thing that is not an opinion at all but i am kinda hype about - did you guys know how loving easy it is to link a dualshock 4 to your computer wirelessly? its two buttons, total, and then steam lets you configure the whole thing like a steam controller. i should have looked that up ages ago because its super nice

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
I just played The Banner Saga for the first time and really enjoyed it. That being said, the actual game, consisting of a simple Oregon-Trail and one tactical part, is really weak. That makes it an objectively bad game (or rather complex visual novel if you will) that benefits a lot on its atmospheric storytelling and thus becomes quite enjoyable (for the first play-through anyway).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I built my own PC once and the experience was unpleasant enough that never again. The fact the PC market basically demands you build your own rig to not get ripped off or have something thats unuseable for gaming is unpleasant and one of many reasons I dont like to PC game.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

You're not getting ripped off by paying someone to put your PC together. That's already what you're doing when you buy a console. It's just that PC gives you the option to save a few bucks and do it yourself.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I have a business on the side as a computer assembler

People come to me with parts and I'll put the computer together for 50 bucks

What they don't know is that I use my cum as thermal paste

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The traditional payment for this kind of thing is usually a six-pack. Or a bottle of whiskey.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It is more fun to install and troubleshoot mods for Bethesda games than actually playing Bethesda games.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

is pepsi ok posted:

You're not getting ripped off by paying someone to put your PC together. That's already what you're doing when you buy a console.

Consoles are made in massive quantities in factories. This keeps costs down. That is the entire loving point of mass production.

Nobody could hope to sell top-tier gaming PCs in the same volume as a major console, but in large enough volume to crank a load out at £700? Don't see why that isn't a thing.

fake edit: actually maybe it is? this looks alright. Happy to be proven wrong.

Gaming chairs are still stupid and ugly though.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Console good. PC Good. PC's not rocket science to figure out but it's fine if someone would rather get a prebuilt or stick to consoles. Still lol at the idea that you need some 2000 dollar monster rig to game comfortably. You can make a cozy 500-600 dollar rig so long as you don't mind lowering some settings and it'll still poo poo over the base ps4/bone and get more stable FPS than the PRO and bonerx if that's your deal. It's all up to preference really which is why I like PCs.

Back on topic though. Nerds who play competitive pokemon are lame since it always turns into the same handful of team builds/strats and counter build/strats every game.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

ChazTurbo posted:

Console good. PC Good. PC's not rocket science to figure out but it's fine if someone would rather get a prebuilt or stick to consoles. Still lol at the idea that you need some 2000 dollar monster rig to game comfortably. You can make a cozy 500-600 dollar rig so long as you don't mind lowering some settings and it'll still poo poo over the base ps4/bone and get more stable FPS than the PRO and bonerx if that's your deal. It's all up to preference really which is why I like PCs.

Back on topic though. Nerds who play competitive pokemon are lame since it always turns into the same handful of team builds/strats and counter build/strats every game.

Maybe you should let people play what they enjoy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Gamer chairs are aimed at people too stupid or insecure to buy a nice office chair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Gamer chairs are aimed at people too stupid or insecure to buy a nice office chair.

https://i.imgur.com/V1sCQf1.mp4