Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The Shivering Truth continues to own and another QI-less Monday. I don't even know if it's coming back on the air lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

muscles like this! posted:

In actual TV news, it was announced today that the next season of Elementary (S7) will be its last.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/elementary-final-season-cbs-season-7-1203091877/

I have mixed emotions about this. On the one hand, the show has definitely reached the end of its life and should end on its own terms, and going into a known final season should allow them to pull out all the stops to conclude the story (read: pay Natalie Dormer all the money).

On the other hand, last season's finale was kind of a perfect series finale, and I have a hard time seeing how they'll top it.

I guess those are both kind of the same hand, really, but whatever.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Does anyone know of either a thread or person who focuses on discussing foreign tv/movies that you can stream? Since Netflix has started picking up more international media I’ve been watching way more more of that than anything domestic. It’s fun to see other countries takes on different genres and concepts. I’d be curious if other people had recommendations of stuff to watch.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

LeafyOrb posted:

Does anyone know of either a thread or person who focuses on discussing foreign tv/movies that you can stream? Since Netflix has started picking up more international media I’ve been watching way more more of that than anything domestic. It’s fun to see other countries takes on different genres and concepts. I’d be curious if other people had recommendations of stuff to watch.

There was a thread at ResetEra recently, but it didn't get a ton of talk

https://www.resetera.com/threads/lets-talk-netflix-international-originals.84116/

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Is Elementary any good? It started around the time that Sherlock was at its peak, and Elementary just seemed like the poor cousin that was trying really hard to be edgy, but I only saw the first episode.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's poo poo but Lucy Liu owns.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oasx posted:

Is Elementary any good? It started around the time that Sherlock was at its peak, and Elementary just seemed like the poor cousin that was trying really hard to be edgy, but I only saw the first episode.

The second season tanked hard against the first. The badguy in season 1 is really good,

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Elementary is better than Sherlock in the sense that Holmes solves mysteries in it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

LeafyOrb posted:

My wife is from Panama so we are always looking for ways to watch new shows from Spain/Latin America. We have a VPN, but if you have a specific show in mind it will be easiear to send instructions.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Oasx posted:

It's as far removed from edgy as possible considering it's a detective procedural on CBS.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Mission Impossible 3 has one of the best openings to an action movie that I've ever seen.

Oasx posted:

You might be misremembering because Elementary is pretty by-the-books and its first couple of seasons are probably the best modern interpretation of Holmes and Watson to date. BBC Sherlock was complete garbo outside of Moriarty, who was only good because of his actor. I'll forever give that show poo poo for doing the extremely hackneyed "cuh-raaaazy gay villain that's also in love with the protagonist" plot.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

On the other hand, Elementary's decision to make Moriarty Irene Adler was dope af. And dat casting.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So I started Origin and Nightflyers and had pretty interesting exerience...

Origin, despite being wholly derivative is well paced and makes good use of key literary techniques like scene and sequel. I finished it effortlessly, and quite enjoyed it.

Nightflyers I can't really tell you much about because, despite starting it before Origin, I haven't finished the second episode.

Anyone have any recs for more quality shows like this? I'm looking more shows of the same quality rather than content (for example I tried watching Travellers and it's just not what I'm looking for) also (and yes I've seen the Expanse)

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Dec 18, 2018

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
At the end of the day; it’s a procedural; but in the early seasons at least I always thought it was a very good procedural. They couldn’t sustain the quality though and the quality declined a fair bit after the first couple of seasons. Season 6 was an improvement though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

In actual TV news, it was announced today that the next season of Elementary (S7) will be its last.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/elementary-final-season-cbs-season-7-1203091877/

Great news! I'm glad it's getting to end on its own terms

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

-Blackadder- posted:

Origin, despite being wholly derivative is well paced and makes good use of key literary techniques like scene and sequel. I finished it effortlessly, and quite enjoyed it.

Nightflyers I can't really tell you much about because, despite starting it before Origin, I haven't finished the second episode.

Anyone have any recs for more quality shows like this? I'm looking more shows of the same quality rather than content (for example I tried watching Travellers and it's just not what I'm looking for) also (and yes I've seen the Expanse)

I watched both back to back as well, it was fun to compare them. Ultimately I enjoyed Nightflyers more, despite its problems. It's right in the name so theres no point in really getting upset about it but I found the flashback format of Origin a bit heavy handed/spoonfeedy, while Nightflyers was the exact opposite. NF actually could have used an infodump somewhere in there but instead just left things dangling for the audience to put together themselves.

If you're not into Travellers or The Expanse then there isn't much else in this vein lately. Maybe try the new Lost In Space on Netflix? It was better than I expected it to be. Also if you want to do more A/B scifi comparisons maybe start on Star Trek Discovery and The Orville at the same time.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

-Blackadder- posted:

I'm still kinda mad about Nightflyers. I've never read or watched any other George R. R. Martin book/show so I have no clue how derivative his stuff usually is, but this show was just like someone watched The Shining and 2001/Interstellar and tried their best to mash them together so that ~spooky~ things could happen In Space while a bunch of wooden characters do things because the plot (what little there was of it) demands it. poo poo just makd no sense in general. A few random nitpicks from the last episode: We're supposed to believe that within a day of a dude literally axe murdering people, he's let out of his locked room because he's suddenly sane again the only other person on the drat ship who can hook up some wires and run some equipment? Also they're 9 months away from earth at this point, how would you possibly survive in a life pod for that long after you blow up your own drat ship? And, of all things to be worried about, just lol at people huddling together for warmth when they have to reboot the ship to stop it from blowing up. "When in doubt, reboot" even works for space ships, I guess. Arrghhhhh it hurts my brain

The reveal that Roy is a hosed up clone of his mom and Mal is his "sister" was pretty sweet tho

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Is Mission Impossible a series of spy thrillers with action setpieces where characters don't know who to trust and are always dealing with secret organizations? Because that's the stuff I'm not interested in. It's also why I haven't seen the Daniel Craig Bond films, even though I hear some of those are the best ones in the franchise. I am over spies.

Mission Impossbile is the characters explaining a very well thought out plan on how they're going to infiltrate a particular location. Within five minutes the plan is irrevocably hosed sideways and it's about them bullshitting.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

How's the Mission Impossible tv show? There was a time pre-streaming where I wanted to watch that and Man from UNCLE but the dvds were too expensive. Do either hold up as worth watching these days?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bagrada posted:

How's the Mission Impossible tv show? There was a time pre-streaming where I wanted to watch that and Man from UNCLE but the dvds were too expensive. Do either hold up as worth watching these days?

They're each one of those shows that are fun to dip in and out of - you can put on an episode and usually you'll be entertained for an hour - but I don't think you can really binge them because they weren't made with that in mind.

(For some reason I keep trying - I'm watching The Rockford Files in its entirety at the moment.)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If you're going for '60s spy show then go for Get Smart.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Wheat Loaf posted:

They're each one of those shows that are fun to dip in and out of - you can put on an episode and usually you'll be entertained for an hour - but I don't think you can really binge them because they weren't made with that in mind.

(For some reason I keep trying - I'm watching The Rockford Files in its entirety at the moment.)

True. I'm still stalled out in my Cheers binge watch which started nearly a decade ago and came to a screeching halt when Rebecca replaced Diane and parts of the show went from feeling relatively timeless to being full on terrible 80s. I've also yet to revisit Cheers after The Good Place which will surely color it.

X-O posted:

If you're going for '60s spy show then go for Get Smart.

I thought of that one too but I was leaning more serious. I guess I just want to watch enough of each one to get a feel for it as 100+ episodes is too much these days. I could probably just go with youtube for that.

Taxi and MASH are on my watch list as well. MASH at least seems to be on syndicated tv around the time I sit down to watch so I should just jump in. I was never interested in Taxi before but clips with DeVito and Christopher Lloyd lately have caught my attention.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

J33uk posted:

Mission Impossbile is the characters explaining a very well thought out plan on how they're going to infiltrate a particular location. Within five minutes the plan is irrevocably hosed sideways and it's about them bullshitting.

That's the heist formula. If you explain the plan, it can't work. If the plan works you can only allude to it with, for example, prep scenes that don't make full sense until they're used in the heist.

bagrada posted:

Both of them are quite good, just be aware that the pacing is going to feel odd by modern standards. It's very deliberate pacing, where modern stuff often feels like it's rushing to the next high point or quip. Both styles can be good when done well, but if you go in expecting nonstop action it'll probably feel tedious. The UNCLE movie is a good example of the pacing of the old shows, they were willing to just let a scene happen.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Serious question: how many of the M:I movies have the "falsely accused now they're on the run" storyline? It was at least 3, right?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Davros1 posted:

Serious question: how many of the M:I movies have the "falsely accused now they're on the run" storyline? It was at least 3, right?

Weren't they fake-"falsely accused and on the run" in one of the newer ones?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It feels like that happens in all of them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bagrada posted:

I thought of that one too but I was leaning more serious. I guess I just want to watch enough of each one to get a feel for it as 100+ episodes is too much these days. I could probably just go with youtube for that.

How about something similar but shorter - Department S or Man In a Suitcase or Danger Man or something like that? The first two ran for a single season of around 22-26 episodes each, while the latter had about 50 episodes but they were all half an hour. Department S has at least one episode which I would say is legitimately great, called "A Small War of Nerves" which guest-starred a pre-fame Anthony Hopkins doing a lot of scenes with Peter Wyngarde.

Maybe something like the original Fugitive (which is probably a more influential show than is given credit for because I think it did a lot to popularise the ongoing drama about a guy who wanders the Earth doing good deeds and helping people out along the way, c.f. Kung Fu or The Incredible Hulk etc.).

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Davros1 posted:

It’s probably conflating the legitimate “falsely accused” with a “X just happened and you need to lay low, you’re off the case Hunt / you’re off YOUR CASE, Chief!”

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Cael posted:

It’s probably conflating the legitimate “falsely accused” with a “X just happened and you need to lay low, you’re off the case Hunt / you’re off YOUR CASE, Chief!”

"McCloud!"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

MI movies don't have any story it's just a mcguffin in every movie (get the rabbits foot, get the plutonium, get the noc list!)

It's like trying to care about the plot in Ronin when you know the whole film started out as two car chases and that was it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wouldn't say Elementary is "poo poo", in fact it's pretty consistently fun because Johnny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu are fantastic and the show has a good sense of humor

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Elementary owns.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

Elementary owns.

It's a lot like Monk imo, and that's a good thing

I know I can always throw on Monk or Elementary or Columbo if I want something that requires a bare minimum of thought to enjoy, like if it's late and I'm turbo baked

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rewatching Teddy Perkins for the first time since it aired

god, this is definitely the best episode of any show I saw this year. Hiro Murai is incredible.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

precision posted:

I wouldn't say Elementary is "poo poo", in fact it's pretty consistently fun because Johnny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu are fantastic and the show has a good sense of humor
I should really give that show a shot because I'm a fan of all things Zero Cool.

precision posted:

It's a lot like Monk imo, and that's a good thing
I really wanted to like Monk, but I have actual OCD and the way the show paints it as a superpower is infuriating to me, but I could get past that. What I couldn't get past was when it got it right.

Never, EVER point out to somebody who has OCD ANYTHING that could become a tic or an obsessive thought.

My ex-wife regularly would be like, "hey, if X bothers you, why doesn't Y?" And the answer to that question was, invariably, "It does now, so thanks for pointing that out."

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Y’all were right. I just saw Spiderman: into the spider verse and it was loving awesome.

Also elementary is good if you view it in the right terms. It’s like the difference between a “movie“ and a “film“. It’s a “movie“ kind of TV show. It’s fun as hell but don’t expect it to be great.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Oh no

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I don't even. I just don't

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ooOOOOOHH NOOOOOOOO