Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
And remember you can colour-code and name your beacons to make things easier to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Are there any mods that give you a map? I keep getting lost in areas I've already been to, even though I've done like three complete runs.

Don't think so. Best you can do is copy a web map to jpeg, then pop it into a Cyclops picture frame.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Aww look it's baby's first home base. And I've even got a friend!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Are there any mods that give you a map? I keep getting lost in areas I've already been to, even though I've done like three complete runs.

Use beacons or the scanner room. There's also a website that has a map if you put in the xyz coords from the console. :shrug:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Sure is!
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/12

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Zesty posted:

Beacons are life. Just make dozens of beacons.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Flytrap posted:

This is a good chill game so far. Playing on the mode without hunger or thirst, just kind gathering stuff up and making boxes to put more stuff in. Slowly picking aprt the gameplay figuring, you know, I'll probably need these 15 boxes full of titanium and lubricant eventually. Should proooolly figure out how to get the plans for basemaking soon though. Wanna spread out before I strip mine everything around the start.
only 15 lockers full of titanium?

Not a Children posted:

To follow up on my last tech support post: turns out it wasn’t my hard drive, as my frame rate issue returned within a few minutes after reboot. As it happens, the pump in my self-contained liquid cooler died! Looks like I’ve been redlining my cpu for a while now. Replaced the heatsink with a fan unit and now everything is as good as gold.
subnautica saved your PC by being poorly optimized, think about that for a second I used this mod for my playthrough, it's quite good and lets you toggle between "view all" and "view only what you've personally explored", which is handy for flipping between to see if you're, say, exploring off the map or in a place you don't need to check, or something like that

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I would caution against using scanner room camera beacons to signal where your base is. Stalkers enjoy coming from halfway across the map to stral them and then deposit them in some obscure location, usually down in the purple mushroom cave if my last playthrough was any indication.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
SO THAT THING JUST GRABS YOUR SUB AND DRAGS YOU AND IT TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA HUH?? COOL. COOL. TOTALLY SAW THAT COMING AND DIDN'T PANIC.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

InsertPotPun posted:

SO THAT THING JUST GRABS YOUR SUB AND DRAGS YOU AND IT TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA HUH?? COOL. COOL. TOTALLY SAW THAT COMING AND DIDN'T PANIC.

:allears:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

DoubleNegative posted:

I would caution against using scanner room camera beacons to signal where your base is. Stalkers enjoy coming from halfway across the map to stral them and then deposit them in some obscure location, usually down in the purple mushroom cave if my last playthrough was any indication.

Really? I built my first one at the edge of the Mushroom Forrest (by the grassy plains, iirc) and would farm stalker teeth nearby and they never bothered the cameras once!

Same thing with my base at the Tree Cove Cave, never had an issue.

:shrug:

InsertPotPun posted:

:tviv:

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I remember hearing about a mod that adds one to your PDA>

I think it is this one?

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/12

Also, there's this technique:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=595137118, which works by replacing screenshots in your PDA with an external file - one of the commonly available biome maps.

I think there's more up to date maps tho

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I had a stalker come down to my base in the jellyshroom caves and steal my camera drone.

I figured that if he wanted it that badly he must've needed it more than I did and just made another one.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
That was my third "holy poo poo" moment, I went in cold.
Seeing the crashed ship, then actually being able to GO TO the ship. drat.
And then seeing the alien building for the first time. I legit stopped to stare at it in game.

I don't remember the last game that made me do that.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

InsertPotPun posted:

Ah yes, this is why I have this thread still bookmarked

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.
The endgame stuff felt tacked on ultimately in that the Cyclops, the coolest thing in the game, is a loving unwieldy piece of crap that serves mostly as an elevator for the PRAWN suit.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.

Giant Isopod posted:

Ah yes, this is why I have this thread still bookmarked

To think he could have avoided it by wearing headphones and paying attention to the sound

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I'm the weird person who only used the prawn suit to mine some kyanite... :ohdear:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I'm the weird person who only used the prawn suit to mine some kyanite... :ohdear:

Same, it was clunky and awful and I am convinced this thread's love for it is an elaborate prank that I'm just not in on.

I never bothered to make the spiderman arms though, which might be part of it.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I used the prawn suit for mining those giant clumps of ore, kyanite, and for punching leviathans in the face until they died. Yes it took me 5 minutes to do so, but gently caress those leviathans, gently caress THEM WITH DRILL ARMS IN THE loving FACE TIL THEY DIE THEN THEY CANT BOTHER ME ANYMORE.

REVENGE FOR MY SEAMOTH LOADED WITH HARD TO FIND MINERALS AND LOOT YOU JERK!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I mostly used mine for lead and titanium cheesing - I like me my big underwater lairs. Long and hardened and bereft of seamen.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Captain Monkey posted:

Same, it was clunky and awful and I am convinced this thread's love for it is an elaborate prank that I'm just not in on.

The spiderman arm and jump jet upgrades make the prawn quite nimble and able to travel vertically worth a drat.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
The Prawn and the spiderman arm made me have a serious paradigm shift to hostile leviathans - specifically I went from 'you must be avoided' to 'Don't you loving dare to come any closer or I'm punching you in the goddamned face."

I beat poor Casper to the point where he started actively avoiding me.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

InsertPotPun posted:

Frame this post

Captain Monkey posted:

It was clunky and awful, except for these things that everyone said were what made it not clunky and awful but actually the fastest thing in the game

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Frame this post

It was clunky and awful, except for these things that everyone said were what made it not clunky and awful but actually the fastest thing in the game

Prawn with a grapple arm and four jump jet upgrades is legit one of the funnest things in the game. (i heard they might have been changed to not stack before release? If so this is one of the biggest sins the devs have committed, ever)

Note that I mean one grapple arm, and not 2 because....

Well.

There's also the matter of the fishcannon bazooka.

See, there's no ranged weapons in the game. Unless you notice that the propulsion cannon can load objects from inventory to fire.

... and you can get boomfish breeding once you have their eggs. And if you fling them, they explode on impact.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Captain Monkey posted:

gotta go fast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-_53W_nHEk

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Haha, not gonna spoil it, but watching all the way to the end is worth it.

I did note that the Prawn run omitted the part where it bumps into a small pebble and comes to a complete halt. Doing the spiderman thing is awesome when it all goes smoothly, but the general jankiness and awkward close-in handling are the reasons why I normally run with the Seamoth. Well, that and getting a mod that adds drill and max depth modules for the Seamoth.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Why is it Seamoth vs Prawn? They both have different uses for different locations of the game.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Speed vs depth/utility, mostly.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Duh. But people talk about it like, "WELL I'M A PRAWN PERSON" :pastry:

How is that not a smilie?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I must be weird in that I just take the Cyclops everywhere.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

It’s been a long time since I’ve started playing a game, and next I look up it’s 2:30 in the morning. I’m glad I downloaded this, it’s real good. My adrenaline surges so many places while playing; exploding sulfur fish, Sandsharks, Bloodsuckers, every time a big chunk of the Aurora looms up out of the abyss, any time ANYTHING looms up out of the abyss, any time I hear something large grumbling off in the distance, any time I find a new blueprint or chunk of equipment...

...finding the planetary defense cannon structure for the first time by accident... :stare:

It took me a while to realize that you didn’t need filtered water to make disinfected water; just bleach! I kept hauling all the way back to Safe Shallows/Kelp forest to go on great bladderfish hunts.

I’ve obsessively built tiny replicatored/beaconed bases near a bunch of large wrecks so far. Does the game auto-save? It crashed at the end of the night when I hit save after a ton of progress.

e: How do I “fix” the Aurora? It told me to repair holes or build reinforcements when I was in, I couldn’t figure out how to. Sweet posters though!!

e2:

InsertPotPun posted:

:gonk: :stonk: WHAT NO WHY THIS SOUNDS BAD AND NOT FUN

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 19, 2018

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It is fun.

Definitions of fun may vary.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

It is fun.

Just in the Dwarf Fortress sense.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Waffle House posted:

:gonk: :stonk: WHAT NO WHY THIS SOUNDS BAD AND NOT FUN
Save often. Standstill, save, keep standing still. Every time I enter a base I save, and usually right before I exit. There is no autosave.

It's fun in a genuine sense of exploration way, the world is very organic and you're very much an intruder. The limits of the world aren't super hard and fast, if I was paying attention I could have avoided that. You don't "unlock" new areas so much as find ways to better adapt in existing areas.

And spoiler tag your post!

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Is there any reason not to build my first base pretty close to the escape pod?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Vadun posted:

Nope your first base will be in the safe shallows all the time, but know you will probably have to build at least two more in other areas later

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Frog Act posted:

Nope your first base will be in the safe shallows all the time, but know you will probably have to build at least two more in other areas later

You can also deconstruct your base pieces and move them later, if you want! :eng101:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Zesty posted:

Why is it Seamoth vs Prawn? They both have different uses for different locations of the game.

Because you can only fit one at a time in your Cyclops!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Vadun posted:

No, it's recommended you build even just a corridor with a hatch so you can build storage lockers right away. There's even a couple thermal vents around for lategame power gen