Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

hannity is the guy who used to have a show where he had a token liberal punching bag until that guy died and carlson used to have a show on cnn until jon stewart came on and shat on it so hard the higher ups decided to cancel the show.

Ah, I forgot about Alan Colmes.

Wonder what he would have thought of Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/NoahShachtman/status/1075014171861966848

:getin:

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Inferior Third Season posted:

It's extra stupid because the growth in stock prices in the past decade have not gone to salary increases or investments in capital goods and development, but into stock buybacks and stockpiling cash. It would be entirely unsurprising if a story was reported tomorrow that Apple has installed a vault at their headquarters that they call the "Money Bin" stacked floor to ceiling with money that only C-level executives are capable of swimming in.

The "market" has never been more liquid than it is right now.

Stock prices aren't 1:1 to liquid cash. If you sell $50 billion of stock you wont get $50 billion in cash because the selloff will trigger a drop in stock prices. The more you sell, the more the price falls.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Crabtree posted:

Consider the things science could be doing right now to improve anything, but our fat gently caress country develops more scented logs to burn.

You say that now, but you'll be grateful when the global warming caused wildfires have a fresh floral scent.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Koalas Massacre posted:

Rashida Tlaib came to our Holiday Party!!

I know this is five years old by thread standards but you are an awesome person and this picture makes me really happy. :hfive:

My wife is Palestinian and has been super hype about this :3:

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I keep forgetting Hannity and Carlson are two different people.
Hannity is like Jay Leno in that he has such weird, hosed up facial features that a photograph of him and a caricature of him drawn at an amusement park would be virtually indistinguishable.

Carlson is the guy that your brain instantly puts into the "dipshit teenage libertarian" category, but he's actually 50 years old.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

also carlson at one point was sorta respected and could've had a career not as a raging psychopath, hannity was a construction worker that started in am radio so he was always a nutjob.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

qkkl posted:

Stock prices aren't 1:1 to liquid cash. If you sell $50 billion of stock you wont get $50 billion in cash because the selloff will trigger a drop in stock prices. The more you sell, the more the price falls.
The purpose of stock buybacks is the exact opposite. It reduces the number of outstanding shares, making the ones still out there worth more, which increases shareholder value and increases stock prices, upon which C-level executive pay is often tied to.

Cash stockpiles are exactly that, and don't come from selling stock, but from company profits that are not put to any better productive purpose.

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

a friend told me that they recently started listening to Sam Harris podcasts. Should I be concerned?

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Groovelord Neato posted:

also carlson at one point was sorta respected and could've had a career not as a raging psychopath, hannity was a construction worker that started in am radio so he was always a nutjob.

Tucker used to have a show on MSNBC. It wasn't good, but it was nothing like the unwatchable garbage he headlines on Fox today.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Groovelord Neato posted:

I’m glad he got out of construction because holy hell the hosed-up places he would’ve built. :psyduck:

Imagine Hannity, smeared in his own feces, grunting and screaming about drywall is actually capable of bearing loads but “big timber” is keeping the shroud on the peoples’ eyes.

Off in the distance, a child’s leg is crushed as the stairwell collapses in his parents’ “Hannity Built Home”.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ablert Einstein posted:

a friend told me that they recently started listening to Sam Harris podcasts. Should I be concerned?

very. he's had long disgraced racist charles murray on multiple times and had a meltdown when ezra klein pointed out what a bad idea that was.

harris's takes and guests got so bad his subreddit turned into mostly people criticizing him.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

very. he's had long disgraced racist charles murray on multiple times and had a meltdown when ezra klein pointed out what a bad idea that was.

harris's takes and guests got so bad his subreddit turned into mostly people criticizing him.

I am always shocked when I realize Murray is still alive. His work is so overtly racist that my mind just insists that he must be either dead or in his late 90's.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Okay, we all know he’s lying, but on the Trump Scale, just how badly is he lying about what Isikoff wrote?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Nucleic Acids posted:

Okay, we all know he’s lying, but on the Trump Scale, just how badly is he lying about what Isikoff wrote?

bigly.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Harris just closed his Patreon to join a competitor in solidarity with white supremacists with the standard "I find their views abbhorent but I believe in freedom of speech and can't support Patreon censorship"

He very clearly is a man who plays around the edges of white supremacy thinking he can use them as a reliable source of income and not caring about the consequences of raising up their platforms because it doesn't affect him personally.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Ablert Einstein posted:

He just deleted his Patreon in solidarity with Sargon of Akkad getting banned, so yeah, definitely

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Your Taint posted:

Hrm, I wonder what about Germany's past could be so interesting to Fuhrer Trump....

I actually think this might go back to his "trade deals" obsession. Remember three hundred years ago when he'd just assumed office, he kept pushing Germany to negotiate some super great new trade deal. To which Merkel's response was always "Things don't work that way, if you want to have a trade deal with us you gotta negotiate with the EU as a whole". Reportedly he never quite understood that, and kept hounding her about that whole thing over and over again only to be rebuffed every time. Wouldn't be at all surprised if he took that personally.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Nucleic Acids posted:

Isikoff appeared on Fox and Friends and said those very words out loud.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

big boi posted:

That's over 40 texts a day if, as according to Wiki, the texts were send between August of '15 and December of '16. But to answer your question, I'm married, and our communication consists of one resigned grunt in the morning and one before bed

Between all platforms I probably share 50-75 messages with my best friend (who is a woman) and 10-20 with my wife.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Ablert Einstein posted:

In my 20's I went through a period of religious deprogramming wherein I consumed a ton of atheist content online, but even then I could tell something was very "off" about Sam Harris. Even when he inadvertently makes a cogent argument it's near guaranteed to be cryptoracist bullshit. Continued exposure risks your friend becoming increasingly white supremacist adjacent, then dropping the adjacent part.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

mdemone posted:

Well, okay then.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

mdemone posted:

isikoff is completely right: we DO have a lot of good reasons to suspect core claims of the dossier, like Cohen travelling to Prague, were bullshit

but there's lots of other stuff that isn't. and the reason that bullshit made it into Steele's writeups is probably that russia was trying to push disinformation out to cover up what they actually did

and when isikoff says "some of the more sensational allegations are likely false" that's not exactly the COMPLETE VINDICATION trump thinks it is

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sam harris will have whatever person is making the rounds among the online right on his pod (if the person's been on rubin they'll probably stop by harris).

he had coleman hughes (a young black man who published really bad articles in the right-wing quillette) on pretty much because hughes repeats the lie that black americans' problems stem not from systemic racism but "culture".

sam's subreddit didn't take too kindly to this: https://www.reddit.com/r/samharris/comments/9352n6/coleman_hughes_is_bad_for_the_discourse/

quote:

Because of his appearance on WU [Waking Up - Sam Harris's podcast] I decided to go back and read some of Coleman Hughes' older articles, and I was stunned by just how poorly argued and ignorant they are. This article in particular reminded me of the arguments you hear from right wing hucksters like Dinesh D'Souza and Charlie Kirk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sV5qU6e-YY

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Dec 18, 2018

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

We all know it's not really a VHS tape.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Inferior Third Season posted:

The purpose of stock buybacks is the exact opposite. It reduces the number of outstanding shares, making the ones still out there worth more, which increases shareholder value and increases stock prices, upon which C-level executive pay is often tied to.

Cash stockpiles are exactly that, and don't come from selling stock, but from company profits that are not put to any better productive purpose.

Stock buybacks also used to be illegal because they are often thinly disguised stock price manipulation and are relatively rarely in the company's best interest.

They have been incredibly popular recently. In addition to using the massive windfalls generated by the GOP tax giveaway companies have even been borrowing tons of money to buy back shares, essentially taking loans out in the company name to pay shareholders. It is quite likely that when poo poo hits the fan there will be companies that go bankrupt because they spent all their cash on stock buybacks.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

I know this is five years old by thread standards but you are an awesome person and this picture makes me really happy. :hfive:

My wife is Palestinian and has been super hype about this :3:

https://mobile.twitter.com/KhaledBeydoun/status/1074333823624720384

I am sure your wife also saw that at her victory party she draped herself with the flag too

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Guze posted:

We all know it's not really a VHS tape.

Well now the piss tape is going to die do to disbelief, it's film unfurling. Come on everyone, clap your hands for the piss tape!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/Sulliview/status/1074730947717804033

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/KhaledBeydoun/status/1074333823624720384

I am sure your wife also saw that at her victory party she draped herself with the flag too

Oh that's a beautiful dress

I'd look so drat shiek in that

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

You know the one thing that worries me about 2020 or a possible Trump resignation is it may completely remove the wind from the left’s sails.

Imagine if Hilary Clinton won the presidency. Would we still have AOC or surging membership in the DSA?

There are a lot of telegenic radical centrist types running for office on the D side. I don’t want to see Biden, Bloomberg or even Beto anywhere near the presidency. Yet I think that’s what might happen just to silence the progressive wing of the Democratic Party and keep the status quo of boutique tax cuts going.

I’ve been banging this drum to anyone who’d listen but what this country needs is another Works Progress Administration (WPA). Considering the nation is trillions in debt and can afford billions more in tax cuts to the rich, what’s a few billion more in sorely needed urban renewal and public works projects. You could give flint clean water and fix the highways and build new railways.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

honestly confused about the message this person is going for

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1075040588062474240

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Flynn just walked into the courthouse a little bit ago so the sentencing hearing should be either imminent or already underway.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Ablert Einstein posted:

When I went though my teenage atheism phase I was big on Dawkins and Hitchens. Tried to read a Sam Harris book and the first paragraph was something like "A nail bomb goes off in a public place and injures civilians. It was placed by a religious terrorist. BET YA CAN GUESS WHAT RELIGION!"

Put that down right away, even then I could tell Harris was a dumbass edge lord who preyed on Islamaphobia to make money.

This was years before he became overtly wrapped up with the white nationalist lite types. Dude loving sucks.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

eke out posted:

honestly confused about the message this person is going for

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1075040588062474240

Trump called Stormy "horseface". Either it's to do with that or he's trying to get Pence-san to notice him

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Victories rarely lower turnout and humiliating defeats never increase it. Long term maybe Trump will be the next Goldwater or Nixon, sparking a generation of spiteful assholes out for revenge, but that was going to happen anyway.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Well now the piss tape is going to die do to disbelief, it's film unfurling. Come on everyone, clap your hands for the piss tape!

Maybe the real piss tape was the friends we made along the way.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'd look so drat shiek in that

Wait, are you misspelling chic or being racist?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/hasanthehun/status/1074737166033375232

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

The worst allegations against me will likely never be proven, and they might even be false!