Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Harvey Mantaco posted:

If you have plus 1 and you roll a 1 (and miss) does plasma still eat you?

No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Giant Isopod posted:

So, I've never bothered to use Celestians before, but I'm pondering a Bloody Rose vanguard detachment: Celestian Squads have a base 2 attacks, +1 for a preacher, +1 for Bloody Rose on the charge, would be 41 attacks for a squad of ten with a 1/3 chance to fight twice. Still S4 AP0 though. It seems fun and worth trying, especially if you are planning to bring a melee Canoness anyway.

For bonus fun I could paint them red and bronze, put a suspicious amount of skulls on their bases, and give the sister superior a power axe

I've used Celestians quite a bit since the beginning of 8th, I pack em down with melta weapons and have them tag along my melee Canoness. They've never done anything of value in melee except taking shots for the Canoness, I'm really hoping the +1str and attacks change that. I've got a game with them tomorrow so fingers crossed.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
The new LVO/ITC terrain rulings rule.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Harvey Mantaco posted:

If you have plus 1 and you roll a 1 (and miss) does plasma still eat you?

No, but if you roll a 2 and have a -1 it will.

Also Orks have a special rule where their shooting actually does always hit on a 6 regardless of modifiers.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
I like their method of dealing with edge hugging units, makes assault very easy to work with an actually usable, no edge hugging.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Annoyed at making wobbly a thing again and fighting inside walls is back.

Now allowing fly into enclosed ruins is better tho.

Should just have called them impassable, and of you want multi leveling fighting just say you can fight one level up or down.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Naramyth posted:

Annoyed at making wobbly a thing again and fighting inside walls is back.

Now allowing fly into enclosed ruins is better tho.

Should just have called them impassable, and of you want multi leveling fighting just say you can fight one level up or down.

well, they're basically saying you can fight up or down a level, but you have to make the diagonal charge distance. It's just how you calculate a charge. You still get to fight up or down, but you have to make longer charge.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

EvilBeard posted:

well, they're basically saying you can fight up or down a level, but you have to make the diagonal charge distance. It's just how you calculate a charge. You still get to fight up or down, but you have to make longer charge.

Isn't this how it's written by GW? Both the main rulebook and Kill Team have a section about "Wobbly Model Syndrome."

We've always interpreted that in the way the LVO does when I play.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Last they did it if a model couldn't sit on its own it couldn't be there an if doing so put it out of 1 inch for combat it couldn't charge the target.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Does anyone want a code to upgrade Mechanicus to the Omnissiah Edition? I got one with my CA2018 but don't play the game.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

For_Great_Justice posted:

Last they did it if a model couldn't sit on its own it couldn't be there an if doing so put it out of 1 inch for combat it couldn't charge the target.

Interesting, there's nothing about that in the Kill Team errata, and it definitely comes up a decent amount since you're fighting 1v1 a lot.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Inspector_666 posted:

Isn't this how it's written by GW? Both the main rulebook and Kill Team have a section about "Wobbly Model Syndrome."

We've always interpreted that in the way the LVO does when I play.

You can use Wobbly Model to account for where a model might be in danger (e.g. on a slope that it would slide down or on a broken up rock or something) but not to 'place' a model somewhere it wouldn't physically fit.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Technowolf posted:

Does anyone want a code to upgrade Mechanicus to the Omnissiah Edition? I got one with my CA2018 but don't play the game.

Send it my way please!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

I wish they made Enclosed Ruins either Impassible or Buildings, there's nothing ruined in any of those examples. Other than that I like it.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
looks like im playing my first non-KT game tonight. any tips so i don't do newbie mistakes too bad?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

looks like im playing my first non-KT game tonight. any tips so i don't do newbie mistakes too bad?

Don’t put things into reserve unless you have a specific strategy. Also, never forget to play the objectives first.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Your opponent is probably cheating so

(1) ask to verify every rule your opponent uses
(2) do your own cheating to avoid being caught in a 'cheating gap'. You'll never recover if you don't start cheating early and often.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

Interesting, there's nothing about that in the Kill Team errata, and it definitely comes up a decent amount since you're fighting 1v1 a lot.

I am not sure about KT, I had thought the question in refrence to 40k. Edge hugging comes up a ton an edge hugging had been used to ignore combat all together.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

At the beginning and end of every phase ask yourself “is there anything I need to do right now?” Depending on your army, there may be! Some rules can also occur at the beginning of the round, which may not even be your turn (Canticles, primarily) so just be mindful.

Have in your mind a decent number of stratagems that may arise and know when they can be triggered. You certainly don’t have to know them all, but knowing some of the more common ones helps speed things up. Remember the rule book stratagems, because they can come in really handy in clutch situations (2CP to interrupt combat turn order, but it must be after at least the first unit was elected to fight).

Always count your units at the end of the shooting and assault phases, so you know you’ve used all eligible units before concluding. There’s nothing worse than forgetting to fire a unit or make that important assault.

Have fun. :) Let the thread know how it goes.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 18, 2018

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
5 Delaque Metamorph genestealers. Banking on metamorphs and hand flamers getting a serious points cut, with which they’ll actually be pretty good.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Badablack posted:

5 Delaque Metamorph genestealers. Banking on metamorphs and hand flamers getting a serious points cut, with which they’ll actually be pretty good.

Yeah those are perfect. How much does a set of Delaque bodies go for, because I may have to steal that look.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

For_Great_Justice posted:

I am not sure about KT, I had thought the question in refrence to 40k. Edge hugging comes up a ton an edge hugging had been used to ignore combat all together.

Yeah, I was talking in reference to both systems since they overlap so much, not trying to discredit the answer you gave.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Delaque are around $34 for 10 on the usual discount websites, so pretty reasonable for infantry. GSC socket heads fit perfectly in their collars too.

I’ll probably end up selling everything else on the sprue and their necromunda bases, might keep some of the little bits like the cane and pouches. Their house symbol even looks like a stretched out genestealer cult wyrm symbol.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
People say T’au are super unfun to play against.

What factions do you all feel are the most fun to play against?

I feel like the most fun games would be against an army that takes restively quick turns and has a relatively uniform threat spread so that there would be dynamic decisions to make throughout the match.

I’ve only played KT so far. Haven’t had a 40k game.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Orks are a lot of fun to play against, as I'm a guard player. So having two big armies that are pretty poo poo at what they do smashing into each other is normally great.

I also really enjoy playing against Dark Eldar. They're scary as hell, but I'm yet to have a dull or boring game against them.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

I enjoy playing against mechanized infantry guard. Gunlines are boring, but anyone who runs a mechanized list that's mobile and actually doing things on the board is interesting.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Are there any must-haves in a GSC kt list? I'm building my first kill team, mostly to paint because the figures are rad. But I don't want it to be totally unplayable.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

goodness posted:

Are there any must-haves in a GSC kt list? I'm building my first kill team, mostly to paint because the figures are rad. But I don't want it to be totally unplayable.

GW released new, improved rules for the Aberrants, who look set to stomp, especially when led by an Abominant. Plus, they're incredible models. A Patriarch and Genestealers clean house, and it's always fun to run a Goliath Rockcrusher with a Clearance Incinerator to burn and bulldoze the enemies of the Star Children :getin:

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
I just got a set of fine brushes and after seeing a bunch of videos saying that I would be using a 0 brush at the smallest, I sure am using the poo poo out of my 0000

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
I'm so not happy with these but I'm glad to see them 'done'. Made a ton of mistakes and I don't think I sold the concept I was going for with them.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Badablack posted:

Those kits work perfectly, great job!

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

DiggityDoink posted:

I just got a set of fine brushes and after seeing a bunch of videos saying that I would be using a 0 brush at the smallest, I sure am using the poo poo out of my 0000

Brush sizes aren't entirely consistent between manufacturers. And a good brush can hold a finer point and effectively act smaller than a similar sized one. A bigger brush that can hold a finer point also can retain more paint and moisture to cover more. I mostly use the tiny 4/0 brushes for dotting eyes and the like; they tend to dry too quickly otherwise.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

People say T’au are super unfun to play against.

How about Tau that use Breacher Teams and ride around in Devilfish so they're active and mobile?

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Chiwie posted:

I'm so not happy with these but I'm glad to see them 'done'. Made a ton of mistakes and I don't think I sold the concept I was going for with them.

Night Lords own, this owns.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Cessna posted:

How about Tau that use Breacher Teams and ride around in Devilfish so they're active and mobile?

Fun to play against, and honestly fun to play. Unfortunately, as-is, it's horrifically bad and the opponent will stomp it into the dirt basically every time.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Strobe posted:

Fun to play against, and honestly fun to play. Unfortunately, as-is, it's horrifically bad and the opponent will stomp it into the dirt basically every time.

Yeah, almost every time I play Tau I try to do stuff that isn't boring old gunlines, and I get whomped almost immediately. I love fielding Kroot for instance, but I only tend to field them for the first two rounds or so of combat. They die if you sneeze at them and suck in close combat, so the only reason you bring them is as a distraction or if you want the enemy to have a good time winning. Breachers are similarly fun but impractical.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Chiwie posted:

these are fuckin great

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

evilmiera posted:

Yeah, almost every time I play Tau I try to do stuff that isn't boring old gunlines, and I get whomped almost immediately. I love fielding Kroot for instance, but I only tend to field them for the first two rounds or so of combat. They die if you sneeze at them and suck in close combat, so the only reason you bring them is as a distraction or if you want the enemy to have a good time winning. Breachers are similarly fun but impractical.

This is also my experience, if you dont have piles of drones around a castle everything just straight up dies in droves and tend towards little damage. I usually like having multiple Ghostkeel, stealthsiits and stuff like that but between low wound count and low toughness even the minus to hits dont feel that reliable at saving them. In practice their firepower is ok, but unlikely to make points back.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Chiwie posted:

These are fantastic. By chance where did you get the lightning claws they don't look standard I'd like some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Do the Blackstone Fortess chaos guys look any good in 40k? The figures are rad, but the keywords and limit 1/army mean no electric tides of negavolt cultists.

Were there any hidden gems in BSF?