Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Leavemywife posted:

Dragon Quest XI is really loving good. I wasn't super crazy about it until I got the boat, but then it clicked with me. I'm enjoying the story, I like all the characters, and I even like how Act 2 is structured.

Initially, I wasn't crazy about having to retravel the world, and find everyone again, but joining up with Hendrik was a very cool moment for me; it gave me the sense that poo poo has gone really bad. Seeing King Carnelian as an actual monarch now is great, too; he's actually a nice guy when not possessed by a horrible monster!

Back to what I was saying about going around the world again, doing that really showed off it is different. The monsters being mostly the same, but vicious and red eyed is a good way to show things are bad. My favorite bit of that, though, was going back to Arboria, passing through the fjord, where that dragon had been trapped in the ice. Seeing that fucker gone was a low-key, "Holy poo poo" moment for me.

Veronica's death was genuinely surprising to me, too. Serena gaining her sister's powers was also a surprise, because that's just loving sweet.

Maybe that all didn't click with others playing, but this game is hitting all the right points for me. It's just so solid, I'm consistently impressed with whatever I'm doing, and loving the hell out of it.

Additionally, a character can dual wield wands, which is ridiculous and I loving love it.

I'm playing DQ11 now too. There's no individual aspect of the game that grabs me. But it's worth saying that the more I play it, the more I like it. Hitting Act 2 was way more interesting that Act 1, and hitting Act 3 is at least as interesting as Act 2.

I played Persona 5 recently; and I get how Time Management is a "Thing" in those games... it actually IS the game with Persona. I put aside my frustration with it, because I know what they were going for. But playing Dragon Quest now, I just like that I can go where I loving want, when I loving want. It's just a really solid, good time of a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Lavender posted:

I played Persona 5 recently; and I get how Time Management is a "Thing" in those games... it actually IS the game with Persona. I put aside my frustration with it, because I know what they were going for. But playing Dragon Quest now, I just like that I can go where I loving want, when I loving want. It's just a really solid, good time of a game.

The time management in Persona 5's not that strict. You get plenty of time to get the dungeon done for the month as well as whatever else you want to work on.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The time management in Persona 5's not that strict. You get plenty of time to get the dungeon done for the month as well as whatever else you want to work on.

It's also not actually time management in Persona, which I think helps a lot. It's more schedule management; you're never actually on a clock, and can take all the time in the world to decide what you're doing that day.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I got Hitman 2 for fairly cheap on PS4, and was bummed that I'd miss the story of the first game since only the first few missions work on my lovely PC.

As it turns out, theres a DLC for Hitman 2 that's just the entire content of Hitman 1 but with engine updates. Also I like that in the first training mission where Diana and 47 work together for the first time, if you steal the clothes off the first guy you knock out, Diana's just like "uhhh what" because she expected you to take the uniform on the shelf :v:

Also one of the outfits you can wear instead of your suit is the Clown outfit from that one mission in Blood Money

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
There was also an unlockable Santa outfit in 2016 which'll likely come back when they add Holiday Hoarders again.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kanfy posted:

There was also an unlockable Santa outfit in 2016 which'll likely come back when they add Holiday Hoarders again.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I don't remember this episode of Battlestar Galactica

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Made a brief Telefang video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR1dbUNqUHo

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Len posted:

I'm also fairly certain the EDF cause more damage to the cities than the Ravagers do.

Although that could just be the way I play. There's absolutely no reason to walk around a building when going through it will do

It's the only complaint that I have about the series; you should be graded on or at least get a total of how much property damage you cause.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I just started playing Breath of the Wild. Link can climb almost anything and it’s a really well implemented mechanic that makes exploring really fun. The small thing I really like wasn’t just that though. I was walking up a really steep hill and it got to the point where Link could just barely keep walking and I expected him to do the slide down that happens in most games. Instead he automatically transitioned to climbing mode which was really fluid and well done.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I just crafted a flaming sword In Fallout 3 :stare:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Alhazred posted:

I just crafted a flaming sword In Fallout 3 :stare:

My favorite part of that sword is the oven mitt your character's wearing when wielding it.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Testekill posted:

It's the only complaint that I have about the series; you should be graded on or at least get a total of how much property damage you cause.

Then you might be dissuaded from doing it! The whole point is joyously gleefully stupid cartoon violence, not some arbitrary measurement of how effective that violence is. The journey, not the destination!

In the EDF, if there's a building between you and an ant, you clear your line of sight. Nothing should stand between you and your mission of saving the earth!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Casnorf posted:

Then you might be dissuaded from doing it!

What in the world would make you possibly think that being told how much damage you're doing would make someone want to do it less? Heck I'd be worried about going "Well guess I gotta level everything in the area now, just gotta."

In the new EDF, in fact, buildings are a little harder to take down. Not much harder, mind you, but they won't crumble with an attack from your starting rocket launcher. What's interesting is that this creates a lot more tactical opportunities for you, since getting away from direct alien fire can save your life, and for the aliens too, since they attempt to hide behind some of the buildings and use them as cover (poorly, given that they're three stories tall, but still).

Edit: I just found out that I had accidentally activated the 'limit my armor option' about forty missions ago - I was wondering why aliens were murdering me so fast, and noticed my armor was suspiciously low. Removed the limiter and my armor went from about 227 to 562. Made things a little easier.

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 15:45 on Dec 18, 2018

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Clearly it's property damage caused by the alien invasion! Who actually happened to pull the trigger on the ground is entirely incidental, ultimately it's all on the aliens. :colbert:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Perestroika posted:

Clearly it's property damage caused by the alien invasion! Who actually happened to pull the trigger on the ground is entirely incidental, ultimately it's all on the aliens. :colbert:

What'd be best is if the tally of damage was explicitly marked "Property damaged caused by alien attack"

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Stopping alien invasions via egregious property damage worked for X-Com too :colbert: it's a proven method

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I do love just how crisp the bad voice acting in edf is, its somehow this perfect level of bad that makes it a treat to hear that it feels like it took more effort than just mediocre acting.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Destroying the world in the process of saving the world from giant bugs/robots seems a bit counterproductive.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Destroying the world in the process of saving the world from giant bugs/robots seems a bit counterproductive.

Those buildings were in the way of earth justice, they'd understand.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The aliens were going to destroy those buildings anyway, but this way we win afterward.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I guess that's why the EDF theme tune clarifies saving the Earth from alien attacks, and not specifically the people or structures on it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Danaru posted:

Stopping alien invasions via egregious property damage worked for X-Com too :colbert: it's a proven method

"SCORCH THE EARTH" - XCOM MEC Trooper, savior of Earth

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

If punching aliens through walls, counters, and expensive statues is wrong then I don't want to be right.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It worked for Superman in Man of Steel I guess, and there were still people present in that city!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I really like Telefang's Oracle of Ages/Seasons style Automap, it's nicely simple while still showing all the important stuff:

It's a bit all over the place because you teleport from place to place via antenna trees (basically magic doors/possibly a Wonkavator).

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Testekill posted:

That was one of the best things about the Ghostbusters game.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

BioEnchanted posted:

I really like Telefang's Oracle of Ages/Seasons style Automap, it's nicely simple while still showing all the important stuff:

It's a bit all over the place because you teleport from place to place via antenna trees (basically magic doors/possibly a Wonkavator).

I always found GBC games had a really simple but easy to read and understand map format. They weren't usually overly cluttered or so detailed everything was spelled out for you, but they gave you enough information to know where you were headed and what you were looking for.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
IIRC, in Pen Pen Tricelon you could ram other players when you were in the waddling segments of each race, which led to me and my brother relentlessly smacking AI races and each other whenever we were in one of those segments.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Look, it's not your house defense force, it's Earth defense force.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I always found it really cute in Antarctic adventure that the penguin would raise a flag when he got to a new base. I'm tempted to files it despite that being clamped down on in France.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

CJacobs posted:

I guess that's why the EDF theme tune clarifies saving the Earth from alien attacks, and not specifically the people or structures on it.

It's great in EDF5 where it turns out that the aliens are (spoilers if you care about the paper-thin plot) here to save Earth by removing pollution and undoing all the damage that humanity has caused, and wiping out humanity because they are a cancer on the planet. The aliens are supposedly sent by God, according to 'ancient prophecies' that the researcher talks about

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Danaru posted:

Hey, I take pride in that I've only destroyed the occasional house, car, concrete barrier or store displays during a mission. Now aliens deciding that the best way to get to me is to rain missiles down on the roof of a 4+ story building while everyone is on the ground floor...

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Damnit, all these posts are really tempting me into getting EDF5. I’ve been interested in the series since it seemed like dumb fun and exactly the kind of b-movie camp I enjoy, and this seems like a good place to jump in as any. Now to see if any of my roommates would be down for co-op

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Randalor posted:

Hey, I take pride in that I've only destroyed the occasional house, car, concrete barrier or store displays during a mission. Now aliens deciding that the best way to get to me is to rain missiles down on the roof of a 4+ story building while everyone is on the ground floor...

You are a failure as a Commander. The correct way to engage the Alien Menace is twenty trigger-happy soldiers armed with Autocannons loaded with explosive shells. Ordered to fire at anything that approaches.

That'll stop that drat scout saucer :smuggo:.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The troops opened fire AFTER the enemy plowed through the wall. Thus the damage to the building is wholly on the alien. :colbert:

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Kit Walker posted:

Damnit, all these posts are really tempting me into getting EDF5. I’ve been interested in the series since it seemed like dumb fun and exactly the kind of b-movie camp I enjoy, and this seems like a good place to jump in as any. Now to see if any of my roommates would be down for co-op

EDF is basically that made up game people are playing in the background of a tv show. Also 5 is a pretty good place to jump in, a lot of the quality of life improvements are just incredibly good compared to 4.1.

That being said, be aware that the game looks like a hd remake of a high quality ps2 game and that it can lag like hell sometimes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Lagging like hell is an important part of the game because it functions as a throwback to the days when you could tank your framerate by doing something too awesome for your computer to handle.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

haveblue posted:

Lagging like hell is an important part of the game because it functions as a throwback to the days when you could tank your framerate by doing something too awesome for your computer to handle.

Or console, like throwing a bajillion mines around in Goldeneye and detonating them all at once. Also the fact that everything in Goldeneye explodes.

My favorite little thing in Goldeneye is that everything explodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Leal posted:

Or console, like throwing a bajillion mines around in Goldeneye and detonating them all at once. Also the fact that everything in Goldeneye explodes.

My favorite little thing in Goldeneye is that everything explodes.

(shoots officer chair cushion four times, fuckin' teeny explosion lmao)