Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Data Graham posted:

Seems a little weird to me that a federal judge would be among these people

No one gives a poo poo about what Flynn did and he won't see any consequences

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Antifa don't tend to show up and protest criminals who have already been caught and are cooperating with investigators into 2018 Hitler.

There's not much fascist about the justice system working correctly for a change.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Man, I was kind of hoping that they'd go through with it and the Judge would say "and yes, this meets the constitutional definition of actual for real-treason, jail forever", because that would be incredible.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Your Taint posted:

You know it's bad when even Fox News is like "he's probably already hosed."

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1075093365132353537

Andrew Napolitano is a real lawyer.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

You think there's any part of his brain that's aware of the irony or do you think he's like Trump where he's completely compartmentalized it and decided that it's not real?

You don't make it as far as he did in that kind of double-life if you have any capacity for self-awareness....

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Toobly posted:

you spelled "diet coke" wrong

Someone has clearly never had a 7/11 coke slushie! Now it comes in Diet because of that peak American physique!

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Are you posting from the same universe as us? Why all of the nearly identical, cartoonishly despairing posts from a bunch of people all of a sudden? Was Flynn's case featured on a major podcast and everyone needed to run in and drop the freshest nothing matters take?

e: oh wait they're almost all you, never mind!

Quorum fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 18, 2018

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Quorum posted:

Are you posting from the same universe as us? Why all of the nearly identical, cartoonishly despairing posts from a bunch of people all of a sudden? Was Flynn's case featured on a major podcast and everyone needed to run in and drop the freshest nothing matters take?

They posted the same stuff about Manafort too and he is rotting forever in prison.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Quorum posted:

If things start mattering a lot of people's worldview will to have to shift dramatically

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

friendbot2000 posted:

Someone has clearly never had a 7/11 coke slushie! Now it comes in Diet because of that peak American physique!

Trump did 7/11

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yeah that's why he's still National Security Advisor, and also why attendance at his 2024 inauguration will be mandatory

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Quorum posted:

It's funny seeing exactly how the consequences of Mueller's investigation will play out. a bunch of stern words and very serious faces as no actual consequences are handed out past a few fall guys, namely Manafort and Cohen whose actual consequences stem from loving over and pissing off other rich guys.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Sounds a lot like the judge saying “go spend the holiday with your kids, you won’t next year”

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

You think there's any part of his brain that's aware of the irony or do you think he's like Trump where he's completely compartmentalized it and decided that it's not real?

There's no way he thinks he did anything wrong. That's the problem with these motherfuckers, their barometer for what is okay is broken. The ethical line is always one step beyond what they've done, no matter how many steps forward they take.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

It's funny seeing exactly how the consequences of Mueller's investigation will play out. a bunch of stern words and very serious faces as no actual consequences are handed out past a few fall guys, namely Manafort and Cohen whose actual consequences stem from loving over and pissing off other rich guys.

Uh-huh. And the dissolution of the Trump Foundation?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Random Stranger posted:

For anyone who needs to know the exact legal definition of treason from the US constitution:

I don't think helping Turkey in exchange for money would count, though you can make a really good case for Russia given they attacked the US during the 2016 election.

I believe Flynn's taking money from Turkey and, because of that money, pushing for the delay of the attack on ISIS qualifies. It's giving aid and comfort to ISIS. The only questionable part is that he's giving aid and comfort to ISIS as part of assisting Turkey which is not an enemy, and you can argue that makes it not treason.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

WoodrowSkillson posted:

you can't even make your :matters: take coherent at this point lol

cohen and manafort and flynn and gates are nothing but coffee boys right

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I'm generally a part of the "nothing matters" crowd, but I fully believe that Flynn will go to prison. It's good that all of these people around Trump are going to jail.

However, the goal is Trump. Trump himself needs to held accountable, Trump needs to get locked up, in order for the country to recover. If Trump and his family live out the rest of their days rich and free, then we failed.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

friendbot2000 posted:

If a foundation is dissolved by government action do you have to pay your debts accrued through it?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

friendbot2000 posted:

Truly brutal that in the end the Trumps won't be on the boards of NYC based companies and might have to pay a whopping 2.8 million dollars. Oh man we sure got them this time. And that assumes they also lose everything in the subsequent part of the lawsuit.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I didn't realize that Individual-1 had a SA account. Or are you SHS?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

WoodrowSkillson posted:

al capone went to jail for tax evasion too

the thing about financial crimes is they're great because you just can't argue with the numbers and people who are crooks tend also to be financial crooks, so when you can throw manafort in jail for the rest of his life on financial crimes you take that opportunity

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Truly brutal that in the end the Trumps won't be on the boards of NYC based companies and might have to pay a whopping 2.8 million dollars. Oh man we sure got them this time. And that assumes they also lose everything subsequent part of the lawsuit.

Please, don't pretend you're not enjoying the schadenfraude at least a little.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Crows Turn Off posted:

I'm generally a part of the "nothing matters" crowd, but I fully believe that Flynn will go to prison. It's good that all of these people around Trump are going to jail.

However, the goal is Trump. Trump himself needs to held accountable, Trump needs to get locked up, in order for the country to recover. If Trump and his family live out the rest of their days rich and free, then we failed.

He's going to throw his unlimited money at legal defense until his body quits on him

He will die before he sees justice, after living a life of unparalleled luxury and being recorded as one of the most influential people in modern history

My great hope is that his kids rot in jail cells

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

If he's been holding out like this, I can't help but think it must be something actually really loving big that he's been desperately trying not to give up, and now is like oh gently caress I'm gonna go to jail forever wait stop ok I'll talk

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Truly brutal that in the end the Trump's won't be on the boards of NYC based companies and might have to pay a whopping 2.8 million dollars. Oh man we sure got them this time.

It is remarkable how you are able to just write off the government going after their personal piggy bank as nothing matters in addition to ALL the other investigations into Trump and his family. It is almost a chud-like disassociation from reality. Not quite the same, but equally annoying.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Truly brutal that in the end the Trumps won't be on the boards of NYC based companies and might have to pay a whopping 2.8 million dollars. Oh man we sure got them this time. And that assumes they also lose everything subsequent part of the lawsuit.

It's funny seeing exactly how the consequences of WoodrowSkillson's posting career will play out. a bunch of nothing matters and very smug posts as consequences rain down one by one, each of them with a post hoc justification about how it doesn't count this time

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Reality proves otherwise

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

empty whippet box posted:

If he's been holding out like this, I can't help but think it must be something actually really loving big that he's been desperately trying not to give up, and now is like oh gently caress I'm gonna go to jail forever wait stop ok I'll talk

if Mueller thought Flynn was holding out on anything he wouldn't be recommending no jail time

what happened here is Flynn massively hosed up with his "i was entrapped" letter, and the judge was prepared to throw the book at him, and Flynn is hoping he cools off in three months

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
That's treason Donnie!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

empty whippet box posted:

I'd like to think that but the reality is probably just lawyers stalling for time and praying Trump gives a Christmas pardon. What do they have to lose?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Not a Children posted:

He's going to throw his unlimited money at legal defense until his body quits on him

He will die before he sees justice, after living a life of unparalleled luxury and being recorded as one of the most influential people in modern history

My great hope is that his kids rot in jail cells

:thunk:

I can't help but feel that there might be a flaw in your claim.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mod sassinator posted:

I'd like to think that but the reality is probably just lawyers stalling for time and praying Trump gives a Christmas pardon. What do they have to lose?

Flynn's goal was to secure access back into the wingnut welfare circuit. He didn't need a pardon, because he wasn't going to get jail time until he tried that stunt.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

mod sassinator posted:

I hope he does. It will just be another indictable offense on Donnie's Jacket because he has repeatedly waded into the fray with his dumb tweets. Then the House can subpoena Flynn and he can do nothing about it.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Eh, I lean :matters: most of the time (well generally do think that things Matter, but I don't think Trump is ever going to be walked out of the White House in chains by Mueller) but Flynn is hosed and taking down the Trump Foundation is a fairly strong blow. Take your victories when you get them.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

evilweasel posted:

Flynn's goal was to secure access back into the wingnut welfare circuit. He didn't need a pardon, because he wasn't going to get jail time until he tried that stunt.

lmao the wingnut crowd is shifting so loving fast from "JUDGE SULLIVAN WILL THROW OUT THE CASE AND CHARGE THE FBI WITH CRIMES" to "JUDGE SULLIVAN IS A DEMOCRAT"

https://twitter.com/ByronYork/status/1075096786996527105

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

CuddleCryptid posted:

Reclassification as a "vital service" in 3...2...1...

Just FYI - classification as "essential" basically just means a person is working on credit. Paychecks will only go out once a budget is passed authorizing the spending.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Feldegast42 posted:

Eh, I lean :matters: most of the time (well generally do think that things Matter, but I don't think Trump is ever going to be walked out of the White House in chains by Mueller) but Flynn is hosed and taking down the Trump Foundation is a fairly strong blow. Take your victories when you get them.

I basically agree; legally speaking Trump is going to suffer a death of a thousand cuts, and so each one is worth savoring. The weirdo hashtag resistance people who retweet Mensch and the people insisting nothing will ever matter actually overlap in that they both conceive of the investigation as a movie which either will, or will not, have one final climactic scene where Mueller says "HOW DARE YOU, SIR" and everyone claps. If only reality were more accommodating of our need for instant gratification and high drama.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Shifty Pony posted:

Just FYI - classification as "essential" basically just means a person is working on credit. Paychecks will only go out once a budget is passed authorizing the spending.

Yeah, doesn't 'essential' mean they get thrown in jail if they refuse to work for free until the budget is approved?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

eke out posted:

lmao the wingnut crowd is shifting so loving fast from "JUDGE SULLIVAN WILL THROW OUT THE CASE AND CHARGE THE FBI WITH CRIMES" to "JUDGE SULLIVAN IS A DEMOCRAT"

https://twitter.com/ByronYork/status/1075096786996527105

Flynn: i did these crimes

This guy: that's false

how do you deal with someone who believes another person is lying when that person says they did it in open court