Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Popete posted:

Perhaps they knew this game was gonna flop and wrote it off as a loss even before launch. Which is probably why there has been very little commitment or comment regarding bugs/patches.

i legit think this is the case, there's no way a game that is as comparatively big as just cause gets so little marketing by accident. they had to have known it was a burning car crash of a game and just gave them zero dollars to market it in order to minimize their losses.

i can't find sales numbers for the game so far, but looking at peak numbers of concurrent players on steam paints a real bleak picture. just cause 3 had a peak of 23.5k on its launch day and averaged 8.6k for its first month. jc4 had a peak of 9.4k players on its launch and an average of 3.2k so far for the month. this thing is bombing hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
Patch dropped.

First attempt, crash on startup.

Second attempt, make it as far as the factory before code 34.

Doesn’t look good on the 1080, though. Shimmering textures.

Edit: they added a crash tool, but the GPU fail doesn’t trigger it.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

This patch didn't fix poo poo lmao

Just about everyone on the subreddit says there's no discernible difference in graphical quality or fixes to stability.

:doh:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Deakul posted:

Just about everyone on the subreddit says there's no discernible difference in graphical quality or fixes to stability.

The SSAO is pretty gross, and bokeh makes me want to clean my glasses, when i’m not wearing glasses.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
There is one thing I think people aren't going to be complaining about in JC4; the loading times. Whatever they did between JC3 and now resulted in an impressive reduction, fast travel happens more or less instantly. It is pretty much as fast as JC2 load times on a modern PC.

Also the "loading" progress bar at the start of the game before the main menu is literally baked into the video and is total bullshit. The actual loading is the screen AFTER that bar fills, otherwise the game is just sitting on its rear end playing the title video. Put: -quickstart into the launch options in steam and it dumps you straight into the game a couple seconds into the epilepsy warning and you probably wont even see the title/loading bar.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Indiana_Krom posted:

There is one thing I think people aren't going to be complaining about in JC4; the loading times. Whatever they did between JC3 and now resulted in an impressive reduction, fast travel happens more or less instantly. It is pretty much as fast as JC2 load times on a modern PC.

Also the "loading" progress bar at the start of the game before the main menu is literally baked into the video and is total bullshit. The actual loading is the screen AFTER that bar fills, otherwise the game is just sitting on its rear end playing the title video. Put: -quickstart into the launch options in steam and it dumps you straight into the game a couple seconds into the epilepsy warning and you probably wont even see the title/loading bar.

Could have done with that a week ago. Most of the two hour play time I have is watching that damned video load up after the crash.

Still crashing on the 1080 _very_ quickly, although I got it to last a bit longer _and_ look a lot better by turning anti-aliasing off completely, so I'm running furmark burn-ins on the card to see. It's gone through 2 without moving off 68C (2560 x 1440 8x MSAA).

I loaded it up onto the 970 box and played a lot further before it crashed. Anyone know of any more tests to run on the card? Furmark usually throws up power problems.

I also fired up Just Cause 3 to do a quick comparison, and it does feel very similar. Wingsuit feels sloppier.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Deakul posted:

They did fix it from "horrible" to "barely acceptable" in terms of image stability. A lot less flickering, lot less SSAO fuckups and a tiny bit better LOD pop in... which well, still pops in. They also made the water a tiny bit better. Still nothing close to the promo material, but definitively better. Looking at Avalanches patch history with JC3, which seems to be repeated with 4 (same release window, major fuckups, same silence and SLOW patching), I doubt they'll ever fix it though. With SQE in the back, customers are probably on the short end of the stick. SQE doesn't give a drat poo poo about post-launch support that goes in favor of the players. That stuff has history, not only with Just Cause but a lot of their games.

Hav posted:

Could have done with that a week ago. Most of the two hour play time I have is watching that damned video load up after the crash.

Still crashing on the 1080 _very_ quickly, although I got it to last a bit longer _and_ look a lot better by turning anti-aliasing off completely, so I'm running furmark burn-ins on the card to see. It's gone through 2 without moving off 68C (2560 x 1440 8x MSAA).

I loaded it up onto the 970 box and played a lot further before it crashed. Anyone know of any more tests to run on the card? Furmark usually throws up power problems.

I also fired up Just Cause 3 to do a quick comparison, and it does feel very similar. Wingsuit feels sloppier.

I highly doubt that it's your GPU. It's definitively nothing you can test. If other games run fine, it's not your hardware. I to have a 1080, JC4 now crashed 3 times while playing ingame (before the patch though within ~25h of game time or so), and a few times where I minimized it during startup. On the 416.94 driver, with RT stats/MSI AB and Steam running in the background. Sometimes Discord or so, but not much else. And on Win7 instead of 10.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

haldolium posted:

I highly doubt that it's your GPU. It's definitively nothing you can test. If other games run fine, it's not your hardware. I to have a 1080, JC4 now crashed 3 times while playing ingame (before the patch though within ~25h of game time or so), and a few times where I minimized it during startup. On the 416.94 driver, with RT stats/MSI AB and Steam running in the background. Sometimes Discord or so, but not much else. And on Win7 instead of 10.

I was consistently crashing during the drat tutorial before the patch. After the patch, it'll crash on startup, then I can play for a while, which leads me to suspect they have a hosed fan curves, or some shader problems, but the complete radio silence from the devs means that you can't do much but submit the reports.

Edit. Went to test on the 970 GPU box and it crashes in the same way. The cries of the damned in the steam tech support section - holy gently caress squeenix, do you not know customer service? - seem to be converging on the i5, but you know how the internet community is at differential diagnosis.

Hav fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 18, 2018

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
Oh hey version 1.02 finally came out for the Playstation. Trip report in a moment...

Still a hot stack of poo poo but playably so at least. Hair no longer glows during cutscenes and it seems like a little of the blurriness has been toned down.

Merrill Grinch fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 18, 2018

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I'm not sure how I feel about the changes to the grappling hooks and the mods. I think once I get the hang of it it'll feel good, like I don't understand how it works quiet yet.

But, did they get rid of the remote bombs Rico could slap to everything? What about the location checklist thing or hunting down every little thing to explode? I'm still veeeeery early, as in I just did the mission that unlocks the fast travel, so maybe they have yet to unlock things. But it kinda feels like they removed incentives to blow up Red Stuff. Also the guns being able to destroy a lot of the Red Stuff makes them feel very powerful but also why bother using my cool tools if I can just machine gun crap?

ALSO: Does Rico drop his weapons if he gets shot too much or something? I keep noticing I'm suddenly down to one weapon or even none. I did have a cool moment when I was getting shot up with no gun, so I grapple hooked my way across a court yard while mashing E and picked up a gun while zipping across. That was rad.

Kinda just want to go play 3 some more lol. I'm absolutely down with just More Just Cause but this game feels weird as hell

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Wrr posted:

But it kinda feels like they removed incentives to blow up Red Stuff.

Red stuff contributes to the chaos army that you can request. Bar in the top right fills up as you destroy things.

Wrr posted:

Also the guns being able to destroy a lot of the Red Stuff makes them feel very powerful but also why bother using my cool tools if I can just machine gun crap?

Yes. I did notice that they've gone with secondary fire to 'replace' grenades as well.

Wrr posted:

ALSO: Does Rico drop his weapons if he gets shot too much or something?

On empty, I believe.

Nice to see the 'Kenshi' thread is more active than this one.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

. . . huh. . .

I. . . might go reinstall JC3 and play that some more. Honestly I really liked that one a lot and don't really know what people's problem with it is. My only beef is that the northern most area is kinda lifeless. Actually, now that I think of it, JC4 feels lifeless too. I know the games have always started with some crazy bombastic intro but generally they at least give you a reason to fight and care about the country. Why'd the people actually start a revolution? They lazily shot at a couple blackhand dudes and now theres a big war? I ASSUME they people are oppressed because thats the general premise of the series but they haven't shown me that. Why do I want to liberate this place from some poo poo head if I know nothing of its people? I super duper don't need much pathos here, folks. I want Mario & and big statues of some scenery chewing dickhead back damnit.

Its like there was a some sort of interlude comic or short film or something between 3 & 4 that I'm missing and I'm piecing together what happened from off-hand comments in the cutscenes.

Still the inclusion of balloons is a nice new tool even if they are super funky to use. I had a good time trying to pass through a ring in a car that was on top of wind turbine. Giving me challenges like that is a good idea. Replacing the wingsuit challenges with three rings and a timer is reaaaally not. I actually liked loading into the wingsuit challenges in 3. Trying to figure out the best path to get the most points was cool.

The frontline aspect is cool spectacle but seems like thats all it is. I've always just sorta had a handful of squads around and dished them out whenever I was in the menu. I'm not weakening the enemies frontlines by blowing up Red Stuff or doing missions to support my guys. Its a really half baked idea so far.

I'll play a little more into the story to see where that goes and then just play more 3.

Also they changed Sheldon's VA :(

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Hav posted:

I was consistently crashing during the drat tutorial before the patch. After the patch, it'll crash on startup, then I can play for a while, which leads me to suspect they have a hosed fan curves, or some shader problems, but the complete radio silence from the devs means that you can't do much but submit the reports.

Edit. Went to test on the 970 GPU box and it crashes in the same way. The cries of the damned in the steam tech support section - holy gently caress squeenix, do you not know customer service? - seem to be converging on the i5, but you know how the internet community is at differential diagnosis.

That just sucks :( I would imagine they come around to fix crashes at least. It's most probably not a fault on your end though given that many people still have crashing issues.

I'd post more here, but apparently I'm quite alone in ignoring the (absolutley existent) issues and am able to play it :> I do like the gameplay still and think the core game loop works great. Due to the new tether and it's options I do not miss C4 *that* much tbh because the tether just makes things explode remotely anyways. Either timed or through button pressing. It's sometimes less satisfying and reliable, but it usually works well enough and adds hilarious chain reactions.

The other day I put just 3 balloons on some large caged white barrles that were stacked and stood around for approx. 3 minutes of chain reaction firework.

Wrr posted:

Also they changed Sheldon's VA :(

Thank god. After hours of this line I'm just done with that voice.

haldolium fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 18, 2018

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Very Sloth Demon voice: how can I help you cawm paw dre?

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Bogart posted:

Very Sloth Demon voice: how can I help you cawm paw dre?

Even he betrayed me or something (?) he's still my pal :colbert:

And for the record, other than the motion blur being loving nightmarish I'm not having any real trouble running the game or bugs. It doesn't look amazing but I'm not sure if thats just the game or my 2012era midline graphic card showing its age. Kinda sounds like the game but eh the explosions are nice.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
one of the best parts of JC3 was Rico being plainly done with Sheldon's poo poo and Sheldon's aw-shucks facade gradually crumbling as the panic of his situation set in

JC2 covered it up with its terrible accents and meandering gameplay but its regime-change-for-dummies nonsense always left a bad taste in my mouth

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Wrr posted:

. . . huh. . .

I. . . might go reinstall JC3 and play that some more. Honestly I really liked that one a lot and don't really know what people's problem with it is.

It felt like a downgrade from JC2. Just cause was an _okay_ game, but let down somewhat by the limitations of the time. JC2 completely blew it out of the water.

JC2 had more 'heart', personally speaking. 'He's got me with his wire thingy' never ceased to be funny, and Palau itself felt like a country rather than a series of collected Biomes. They had an entire lost colony of Japanese troops on one Island, but the environment itself was amazing well realized. JC3's map was effectively a bunch of archipelgos with little or no actual character to them. JC2 had straight up ski resorts.

Palau's storyline villain was literally a pisstake of Kim Jong Un, and this worked a lot better than the more serious storylines; Literally everything fed into the idea of this little pissant Dictator that you were knocking over. By JC3, the Dictator has special tanks and unobtainium, and apparently now we have a weather controller.

I seem to recall being mightly pissed off by having to remove SAM turrets from everywhere, but that's probably because I was rushing for the endgame by using Helicopters to blow the poo poo out of bases, the final confrontation in JC3, between me and the golden shielded helicopter really just underscored a lazy phone in by creating a _boss_ rather than a _boss fight_.

eg The Boss is probably Darth Vader in Star wars, but the Boss_fight is the Death Star.

It's the comparison with JC2 that shades JC3.

haldolium posted:

That just sucks :( I would imagine they come around to fix crashes at least. It's most probably not a fault on your end though given that many people still have crashing issues.

I'm not playing, may as well be testing and sending in reports.

I'm liking some of the changes; the pickup missions are neat, and I like the whole concept of having an actual army behind you rather than a bunch of guys that wait for me to drive them around the Island. Graphics don't seem to have stepped forward, apart from the Bokeh-demonstrating 'sparks', and I'm pissed that apparently the big graphical step up for the past twelve months mimics cataracts. I _like_ what I've seen of the environments so far, and started playing with the wind to see if you can actually paraglide, but it feels deadlier, which is going to mean less 'in your face gameplay', but I'm working on like ten minute sessions, soooo...

Oxxidation posted:

one of the best parts of JC3 was Rico being plainly done with Sheldon's poo poo and Sheldon's aw-shucks facade gradually crumbling as the panic of his situation set in

JC2 covered it up with its terrible accents and meandering gameplay but its regime-change-for-dummies nonsense always left a bad taste in my mouth

JC2 was more 'Condorman'. JC3 started to take it's mission more seriously, to throw shade at the CIA and give you some kind of connection between Rico Rodrieguez, and the European Island of his birth, Solis. The tone change between the two I thought was weirder in the other direction.

Hav fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 18, 2018

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

JC2 felt like a game made by people having a lot of fun creating a chaotic world

JC3 felt like a game made by people checking off a list of stuff that is "fun" according to statistically analysis of feedback on previous games in the series as well as general trends in open world AAA games of the time

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Earwicker posted:

JC2 felt like a game made by people having a lot of fun creating a chaotic world

JC3 felt like a game made by people checking off a list of stuff that is "fun" according to statistically analysis of feedback on previous games in the series as well as general trends in open world AAA games of the time

and jc3 was substantially more fun, weird how that worked out

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
no amount of rhapsodizing over JC2's world or terrible dialogue will ever paper over the fact that even on Easy mode you couldn't do poo poo in that game without being shot to death

people say it's better with mods but so is anything else, and the bolo mod just made the tedium more obvious

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Its one of those things where it wants to acknowledge the fact that the US DOES actually do regime change and it fucks everyone and everything, but still doesn't want that acknowledgement to get in the way of Fun and the game. I feel like Tropico does a similar thing. The writing makes it clear that it knows dictators are poo poo and the oppressive policies you can enact are awful, but it still wants you to have fun with it and not think too much. JC3 sorta gets away from that with Rico being out for his own goals and the people wanting him to overthrow the dictator. I don't remember if there is talk for what Medici's government is going to look like AFTER the war but I know that Marco says something to the effect of "Eh just blow it all up, don't worry we'll rebuild it". Its enough handwaving for me. I think that game is supposed to be much lighter in tone tho. 4 seems like it doesn't know if it wants to be wacky and goofy with its painted* rebels and Army of Chaos or if it wants to be dark and serious.

Oh, if you want to learn more about regime change and all sorts of atrocities, might I recommend the book "Killing Hope: U.S. Military and C.I.A. Interventions since World War II"? You'll be informed and miserable!

*The colorful splotch painting and graffiti on everything is an aesthetic thats been popping up lately and its boring and uninspired.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

thats pretty subjective personally I had way more fun in JC2

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wrr posted:

Its one of those things where it wants to acknowledge the fact that the US DOES actually do regime change and it fucks everyone and everything, but still doesn't want that acknowledgement to get in the way of Fun and the game. I feel like Tropico does a similar thing. The writing makes it clear that it knows dictators are poo poo and the oppressive policies you can enact are awful, but it still wants you to have fun with it and not think too much.

jc2 also made rico into a snarling plank-faced rear end in a top hat with maybe half a dozen decent quips ("pipeline jerks") and every single remotely plot-relevant character a plainly sociopathic warlord with a terrible accent

even as plot-light as it was, it was an ugly story, without any purpose or commentary to go with its ugliness, and a few cheeky references to ninjas didn't make it any less miserable

at least jc3 put in the bare minimum of effort to draw clear lines between protagonist and antagonist in the game where you blow up oil silos by knocking them over like dominos

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

In my head I think of it this way:

JC2 had way better story missions, side missions, and used the obviously pre-designed areas of its open world much better than JC3 did. The mission where you drive down ski resort hill, the frozen lake mountain base, the Lost island, the airport, the various little unmarked areas missions take you to, I remember one side mission where you have to abduct a guy in a limo but the mission starts way up on a cliff and the limo just happens to be driving on the road right below it so Looks Like I'm Going to Have to Jump...! Probably others I'm forgetting but would recognize if I played it again.

JC3 had a way better set of tools, guns, and controls but everything took place in a world that didn't feel like anything except random landscapes. Basically all of the missions just took place in what felt like random areas that had no purpose to them. The places that weren't random mostly just turned out to be there for a time trial challenge.

So JC3 was definitely fun but it was the same kind of fun over and over again with the game not only not giving you scripted moments of variety but not even providing the means to dynamically add variety yourself.

Also yes at the beginning of JC2 you are incredibly vulnerable so the times I have played it again I typically have to go out and collect a few health upgrades from random small towns to be able to have fun later on. Edit: I remember now. Each bridge on the giant highway always had 2 health pick-ups on each support, I just did a circuit or something once I was able to.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 18, 2018

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i also don't buy the praise for JC2's world in comparison to 3's

yes, the entire upper half of 3's map is a blasted wasteland, but that doesn't make 2's any more lively - it's still the same handful of copy/pasted villages, military bases, and radar dish bases (hated those things, i almost forgot about how every other thing you had to do in that game involved a QTE) shook out over a number of different biomes

it did have unique zones like the aforementioned ski resort and Lost island but JC3 had similar areas like the TV station and missile base, and in the end neither of them are anywhere close to an immersive world, they're just playhouses where the Red Explosive Things go

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Oxxidation posted:

lmfao not even remotely true

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Ultimately Red Faction Guerilla is a far better alternative and it's criminal that that franchise is dead now.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I never thought Rico was a good dude in 2. He starts with the mission, like, your buddy went native. You’re probably gonna kill him. Working with the factions was supposed to only get him to the Sheldon finish line. Then when Sheldon turns out to not be rogue, you keep going since you have a convenient in with them already and it’s better for PR for locals to overthrow the government rather than ol Rock Flag and Eagle to paradrop in and restore order. You’re working with bad guys to do a morally grey thing. I don’t know what happened in 1, but I imagine nobody does.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Deakul posted:

Ultimately Red Faction Guerilla is a far better alternative and it's criminal that that franchise is dead now.

another game seriously hampered by over-enthusiastic enemies, but otoh it let me rescue hostages by driving a pickup truck through the wall of the building in which they were tied up

shame the remaster was apparently a mess

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I know it’s in the deluxe edition or whatever, but I feel like Avalanche missed a huge opportunity not running with the jet pack wingsuit and building a whole new IP off of it. It’s such a great mechanic, but it’s absolutely crying out for a different setting.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Bogart posted:

I never thought Rico was a good dude in 2. He starts with the mission, like, your buddy went native. You’re probably gonna kill him. Working with the factions was supposed to only get him to the Sheldon finish line. Then when Sheldon turns out to not be rogue, you keep going since you have a convenient in with them already and it’s better for PR for locals to overthrow the government rather than ol Rock Flag and Eagle to paradrop in and restore order. You’re working with bad guys to do a morally grey thing. I don’t know what happened in 1, but I imagine nobody does.

bolo santosi is not a bad guy, dude

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

shame the remaster was apparently a mess

its just really ugly. I mean so was the original but that was fine at the time, but the remaster did it no favors

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

bolo santosi is not a bad guy, dude

santosi is a former aristocrat who claims to be a revolutionary socialist while looting the country dry and the native-heritage guy sells off the country's artifacts to buy himself sports cars while butchering people whose ideological objections might be more sincere

the tubby mafia dude with the toothache was my fave because he was at least honest about being a criminal

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

santosi is a former aristocrat who claims to be a revolutionary socialist while looting the country dry and the native-heritage guy sells off the country's artifacts to buy himself sports cars while butchering people whose ideological objections might be more sincere

the tubby mafia dude with the toothache was my fave because he was at least honest about being a criminal

Okay yes thats all very true but who has the best accent in the country? That's right, Bolo Santosi

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
I really don't get all this argument over JC3 being good or not since it seems we're all in agreement that it's the second best in the series. Does it matter how second best it is?

Especially considering how JC4 is fuckin' atrocious:
Press 6 buttons in 3 minutes GO!
Drive 10 cars into water in 5 minutes GO!
Shoot 5 things in 4 minutes GO!
Here's a whole bunch of new grappling hook things you can do and a strict time limit so you are discouraged from doing something creative GO!

JC4 makes JC3's missions look inspired in comparison.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

i also don't buy the praise for JC2's world in comparison to 3's

You're allowed to be wrong.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
All this talk makes me miss mercenaries

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ZeusCannon posted:

All this talk makes me miss mercenaries

If Mercs 2 had better ways of not blowing yourself up with airstrikes I would have liked it more.
There should have been more laser painting options.

But yeah, those games were great.
They also lead to my favorite LP, "The Fracas in Caracas".

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the weird pseudo-loyalty system of Mercs 1 added an unnecessary layer of stress to the game, i thought

couldn't explode too enthusiastically for fear of ticking off one of the other mission factions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Inzombiac posted:

If Mercs 2 had better ways of not blowing yourself up with airstrikes I would have liked it more.
There should have been more laser painting options.

But yeah, those games were great.
They also lead to my favorite LP, "The Fracas in Caracas".

So many QTEs in Merc2, it was maddening.