Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare
I've only caught two episodes so far. Digging it. It's amusing to me how many f-bombs they're dropping.

Travelers Season 3: We can swear now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

They’ve always been able to swear. Unless you’ve watched the censored Canadian version.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

What if 3468 keeps living as McLaren, somehow still ends up with Kat, and lives a normal FBI life. Then he ends up searching that building and realizes he's about to be replaced by himself.

This would be super cool

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

This would be super cool

Then run the four seasons of Travelers in a loop, forever

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!
So I wonder what The Directors perfect timeline looks like?
No Extinction Level Events obviously.
No Mass Deaths from plague, disease, famine?
No major wars? Or just no wars resulting in Nuclear Winter?
No runaway global warming that obviously lead to the future ice age and the need for city state domes?
No Director? Is it willing/capable of sacrificing its future existence if it guarantees a ideal future?
It seems like every timeline a director is needed to send people back to the 21st is a lovely future, and any future that’s ideal wouldn’t need a director.

Though I can see where Protocol Omega can play apart in this. If the director exists across all timelines at the start of the series thanks to Quantum:techno: it’s end goal could be let’s say 95% or more of calculated timelines result in no need for a director. That way it can exist in some backwater shithole timeline akaProtocol Omega timeline full of yeast eating mole people kept calm by the thought that their timeline is gonna get better...someday.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I guess it all depends on how you view time travel. If you believe in a Back to the Future style timeline where changing the past splits off a new timeline, then all the people you know will never get a better future. You can't change anything about your own timeline, you can only create a new one. So even if things get "fixed", your original timeline is still just as lovely as ever. Your original timeline has to exist in order to be able to send you back to create the good future.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Cojawfee posted:

I guess it all depends on how you view time travel. If you believe in a Back to the Future style timeline where changing the past splits off a new timeline, then all the people you know will never get a better future. You can't change anything about your own timeline, you can only create a new one. So even if things get "fixed", your original timeline is still just as lovely as ever. Your original timeline has to exist in order to be able to send you back to create the good future.

I figured we were under general branching timeline Back to the Future rules. It's the simplest way around the paradox of "if you change it to an ideal future that doesn't require a Director then there was never a Director to go back and fix it in the first place." Probably some wiggle room in there too where each tiny change doesn't create a whole new timeline per se, so you can have your thousand travelers working together to try to fix the world and not be creating a new timeline as each one gets sent back.

Just like anything involving time travel you kind of have to just go along with the ride and not try to make proper sense of it. Back to the Future is kind of a standout in the genre for using the simple branching timeline method and limiting the use of time travel to a small handful of times in each movie. It keeps the rules basic too and follows them.

Travelers by comparison you have thousands of different people messing with time, the possibility of anybody being replaced, etc. etc., whole lot more to juggle there.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I would assume the universe would account for minor changes and, as long as the event is overall the same, it's not a new timeline. But if you cause a big change, like stopping that meteor, then that creates a new timeline. Sending travelers back and keeping people alive probably doesn't even change all that much because if the original person would have done something drastic, the traveler isn't going to do that.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Also interesting that the Director's morality is what's keeping Travelers from easily fixing the future. If the rule was "take over anyone, anytime" then you're stopping people who do things that negatively impact the future immediately upon transfer just by taking over the body, taking over world leaders to fix things from a position of power, etc. The Director doesn't even cheat its own rule by having a Traveler come in and get a world leader in their sniper sights or something and make them a candidate. Probably some time travel reasons that being that drastic about it is a bad idea, causing a lot of variables nad such.

Could be a fun angle to take in season 4 if the Director takes the proverbial gloves off and we see fewer protocols or more aggressive protocols put in place.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I may be misremembering, but I believe that we have seen the Director break their rules before -- there's that episode in the first season where the attempt to stop a meteor goes haywire, and the army gets called in. (I think that's how it goes, it's the one with the bus full of elderly people anyway.) The Director then attempts to take over individual soldiers, one after the other, in order to stop them defusing some sort of device.

It's a fairly cool sequence, but I've always thought it didn't quite line up with the canon in general.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I assume that those people would die if they were successful in stopping the travelers. So the director could take them.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Oh yeah, that scientist from the Helios S1 storyline never came back. That actress is super-recognizable since she's in the "must appear in every, single Canadian-filmed sci-fi show" roster.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Open Source Idiom posted:

I may be misremembering, but I believe that we have seen the Director break their rules before -- there's that episode in the first season where the attempt to stop a meteor goes haywire, and the army gets called in. (I think that's how it goes, it's the one with the bus full of elderly people anyway.) The Director then attempts to take over individual soldiers, one after the other, in order to stop them defusing some sort of device.

They all would have died in the Helios explosion anyway.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's a fairly cool sequence, but I've always thought it didn't quite line up with the canon in general.

Grace says something about how the Director needs humans to make its moral choices, so I imagine at key moments like that you have a programmer sat there pushing the manual override

Same with executions and the Marcy overwrite.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Man that was a good binge.

Not sure why the writers (last ep spoiler) made a big point to show that the FBI Director was completely aware of the general workings of Traveler tech to the point where he implemented multiple countermeasures - including a command room explicitly designed to be safe from Director overwrites - and then five seconds after seeing world leaders get overwritten he’s all “Ok gonna leave my safe room now, arrest this man”.

Woden
May 6, 2006

NowonSA posted:

I figured we were under general branching timeline Back to the Future rules. It's the simplest way around the paradox of "if you change it to an ideal future that doesn't require a Director then there was never a Director to go back and fix it in the first place." Probably some wiggle room in there too where each tiny change doesn't create a whole new timeline per se, so you can have your thousand travelers working together to try to fix the world and not be creating a new timeline as each one gets sent back.

Just like anything involving time travel you kind of have to just go along with the ride and not try to make proper sense of it. Back to the Future is kind of a standout in the genre for using the simple branching timeline method and limiting the use of time travel to a small handful of times in each movie. It keeps the rules basic too and follows them.

Travelers by comparison you have thousands of different people messing with time, the possibility of anybody being replaced, etc. etc., whole lot more to juggle there.

Pretty sure there's only one timeline and the Director juggles all the changes with compute power, redundancies and countermeasures. If a change would delete the need for the Director he can just have some travellers build him in the past before the change, like in one of the earlier seasons.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

In the final episode, Marcy saying “David was everything that’s good about humanity, that’s literally what he represented” is one of the most hilariously on-the-nose lines ever written in all fiction.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Flesh Forge posted:

It's wide open as to what happened after MacLaren did his jump; the only other action he's shown to have taken was averting the Helios asteroid.

Wait, what? Where did we see this?

Woden posted:

001 transferring into the wife beater cop was blatantly obvious, I know the team was under pressure and whatever but but they really should have been more suspicious of him. I guess I should give them a little more credit as I don't think they knew he was in charge of the faction yet, but it still felt off.

When do we think this happened? Just before he got walled in?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

redleader posted:

Wait, what? Where did we see this?

It's just a letter he gives to one of the physicists.

I feel like I wasn't paying full attention to Jeff's scenes. Why did the travelers think they walled Jeff in instead of killing him?

Jeff becoming a host makes me wonder why that didn't happen in S2 instead of the need for Philip singing to stop the beatdown. Edit: though maybe after the update, Phillip's interference became part of the historical record.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Dec 19, 2018

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Lycus posted:

Oh yeah, duh. I somehow got that confused with the other physicist thingy from this season - the singularity power station that destroyed Europe.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Lycus posted:

I feel like I wasn't paying full attention to Jeff's scenes. Why did the travelers think they walled Jeff in instead of killing him?

Jeff becoming a host makes me wonder why that didn't happen in S2 instead of the need for Philip singing to stop the beatdown. Edit: though maybe after the update, Phillip's interference became part of the historical record.

I... need to have a rewatch

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Holy poo poo, 14 minutes into s3e10. It made me want to post about this show so.. yep.

The omega stuff is some of my favorite scifi.

e: finished that (last) ep, whoa, that's one of the best shows i've seen in a while.

iRend fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Dec 19, 2018

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

Lycus posted:

wet cement on the wall i think.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

numptyboy posted:

wet cement on the wall i think.

Not why did they think to check, but why do they think they did that.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Because he had done the same with them when he kidnapped them in season 2 iirc

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, 001 definitely walks the line of mastermind and psychopath when it comes to his treatment of travellers so them mistaking him walling the guy in as torture instead of part of the plan seems reasonable

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What was 001's background anyway? Hard to believe that they'd send a super genius back in time to die when they could have sent literally anyone else.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The Faction probably should've told 001 what was up sooner, then he wouldn't have killed some of them in S2.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
All I can do when I watch this show is feel so, so sorry for Kathryn. It's so utterly insidious and abusive. The drugging and the rape and the gaslighting and now he's fabricating evidence to convince her that she's wrong. Jesus.

Just leave the guy, oh my god.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Dec 21, 2018

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Finished my 2 day binge. And just like my reaction to the end of season 2 I now can't wait for season 4.

What I was expecting as the end: A Dollhouse-like mass possession event where random people start getting overwritten in the street families in their homes, whole boardrooms etc. And then a bunch of running around till someone realizes that the Factions plan wasn't to take over the future as per Jeff-001's somewhat Bond-level villainy and hammy speech (which was great by the way) but that they set poo poo in motion for the Director to abandon the timeline so they could siege in and steal the transfer tech and migrate their entire population to the 21st century.

What I thought on the actual ending: drat Mac turning up to die in the towers to stop 001 from ever arriving. I was waiting for the cut of Ingram arriving and Mac shooting him; then reporting in as 001 personally to say successful and simply let the future play out minus 001 before putting himself in a position to be overwritten by his future self again and having a clean boot where nothing was effected by 001's going off the mission. But 9/11 NOT happening because Mac turned up at the right time and kick started Version 2 daaaaaaaaaaamn. We into seriously alternate timelines now son. Though I will ask why no guest appearance from OG Ingram and have a nice moment where Grant IDK tells him to get out or something and gives him a big wad of cash as a "Sorry we turned your body into a evil meat puppet who doomed mankind." gift.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 21, 2018

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Boris Galerkin posted:

What was 001's background anyway? Hard to believe that they'd send a super genius back in time to die when they could have sent literally anyone else.

It's been a while, but I believe that 001 was terminally ill (or maybe a future criminal) and they sent him back about 5 minutes before the planes hit, so he just bolted.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah, he was going to die anyway, so they gave him a suicide mission.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Gridlocked posted:

But 9/11 NOT happening because Mac turned up at the right time and kick started Version 2 daaaaaaaaaaamn. We into seriously alternate timelines now son.

It's not totally clear in the show, but since 001 arrived and had time to leave the building before the planes hit and Mac arrived before 001 would have in order to stop him from being sent, it seems likely that 9/11 still happens but that Mac has time to get out like 001 did.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
If 001's plan was to upload himself to the internet...

why did he build a time machine?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Chalks posted:

It's not totally clear in the show, but since 001 arrived and had time to leave the building before the planes hit and Mac arrived before 001 would have in order to stop him from being sent, it seems likely that 9/11 still happens but that Mac has time to get out like 001 did.

Oh I thought his looking out and looking at his watch was implying that he was waiting to die having achieved his personal objective of stopping 001 but instead of doing just that the Director activated Ver. 2 and that prevented 9/11 from happening which was why he has the slightly concerned look on his face and kinda rushes off. Because he's thinking "Ok plane will hit in a second I'm gonna look outside annnnnd no plane.... oh hell."

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Gridlocked posted:

Oh I thought his looking out and looking at his watch was implying that he was waiting to die having achieved his personal objective of stopping 001 but instead of doing just that the Director activated Ver. 2 and that prevented 9/11 from happening which was why he has the slightly concerned look on his face and kinda rushes off. Because he's thinking "Ok plane will hit in a second I'm gonna look outside annnnnd no plane.... oh hell."

It could have been, it was a pretty ambiguous scene - but if that's the case then it would be a huge deal and I would have expected them to make it more obvious

Either way, if they renew for another season I'm gonna be super hyped

mossyfisk posted:

I think this was just him thinking on his feet after his actual plan failed when Marcy killed herself

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

mossyfisk posted:

I think he was going to use the reboot code in Marcy to try and either shut down the Director period so his Alternate-Future-Self can lead the Faction/humanity or maybe transfer himself into the Director directly began the shenanigans as the now Evil!Director where it turns out the ultimate enemy of mankind was one frightened man who went too far because he was scared and greedy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Also, I don't get why he needed to go into the WTC in the first place. He sends an email to an address on a public IP address. He could have done that from any computer.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

We're about a week out from the season 3 premiere so I think we can dispense with spoiler tags now.

Plenty of cool places to go next season, and I like that they really can't walk back this new dynamic the way they did with parts of the season 2 finale. I think Marcy's out as a traveler candidate since she had only been in a position to die due to 001's messing with her head to disable her, and with that not happening that death isn't on the table, so I can get behind the idea floated that she's the normal human and David becomes a traveler, give that actor a chance to flex.

With it seeming more like a full reboot I don't think we'll get the back to the future 2 style "interacting with events we've already seen" all that much, though I still really like the idea of McLaren coming in as the boots on the ground guy who lived through their early missions and makes sure they go off without a hitch, and I think having the new timeline's 3468 download into a different body and interact with McLaren is just a really fun possibility and would really jazz up the show. You could make the Vers. 2 3468 take over Kat for maximum drama.

It does get iffy since there's no particular reason for a lot of the cast to stay in the show, unless version 2 also happens to involve taking over mostly the same people.

There's also the outside chance that 2001 McLaren becomes a bad guy like 001 did, though I don't expect that, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's seen as an agent of chaos or a disruption to the grand plan by the Director and he has to deal with that when he tries to help out, maybe try to convince his team to not listen to the Director's order.

While McLaren going along with his life and willingly getting taken over is kind of poetic, it feels like a missed opportunity if they take that approach. On the other hand, if he goes through all the motions and fakes being taken over (which is a cool move that I was kind of hoping someone with knowledge of how traveler's work would pull on them), having blocked the body possession through knowledge of how the tech works and proper planning, that's a perfectly neat wrinkle to work with and I suppose the next best thing if I can't get the "my two 3468's" scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Also, I don't get why he needed to go into the WTC in the first place. He sends an email to an address on a public IP address. He could have done that from any computer.

Why who needed to go?

They originally sent 001 to the WTC as a test. He was terminally ill in the future and they didn't know if the traveler program would work. So they sent someone who was going to die anyway back into the past to test if the conscious could be sent back in time.

001 was simply supposed to send an email to say that the test worked and then he was supposed to die in the attack just like his host. When he ran into a computer issue, he decided to bolt and then used his future knowledge to set himself up. He couldn't just bolt from the tower and then send a message because that would mean he was breaking protocol and the Director would try to find a way to kill him.