Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Great headline: Google to simplify messaging strategy, will support only five messaging apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Meet/Chat are a combo enterprise one. Duo is FaceTime, and Voice isn't available in most of the world. For all intents and purposes, they are indeed finally going to one app, Messages.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I'm trying to upload my music library, but it keeps saying it can't establish a secure connection. I turned off my Windows Firewall and BitDefender. Holy poo poo, this is annoying.

OK, killed all the Chrome processes in Task Manager, trying again and now it seems to be working. Seems like it'll take a pretty long time to upload 4K songs, though

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Meet/Chat are a combo enterprise one.

Except now they're making it consumer facing for some reason?

Presumably that reason is: "making one consumer product (hangouts) into two enterprise apps, sunsetting the consumer app and then making the two enterprise apps consumer facing is a sensible strategy for messaging on Android"

SuperiorColliculus fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 6, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm once again going to say how I would "fix" messages.

Make it three protocol, SMS, RCS, and Google's own chat.

Sign in through your Google account to get access to the messages on any device, attach a phone number to get SMS and RCS fallback.

If you sign into messages on any device, you get your full conversation history synced in real time and you can just chat as normal. If your recipient needs to fall back to carrier messaging, the message is routed through your phone.

Have a Google photos like interface on the web to manage your chats, allowing to archive, merge, and export. Any photos sent and received through chat should be synced to Google photos into their own album.

Done and done. A truly universal solution that would be available on any device in a coherent fashion.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

SuperiorColliculus posted:

Except now they're making it consumer facing for some reason?

Presumably that reason is: "making one consumer product (hangouts) into two enterprise apps, sunsetting the consumer app and then making the two enterprise apps consumer facing is a sensible strategy for messaging on Android"

It's "consumer facing" the same way that Slack is. Ie. you can totally use it as a consumer for free if you want, just, why would you if you just want to talk to your friend? You're being very hyperbolic in your recent posts and I'm getting a little tired of it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Forever_Peace posted:

Just upgraded to a pixel3, but apparently llama doesn't work on this phone. Is there a comparable app with good cell-tower based location recognition that I can use to turn off Wi-Fi when I leave my house, silence my phone at work, and put it on vibrate at night if I am home?

Trigger, but cell based detection is crap, its 2018 now so use wifi networks (you don't have to be able connect to them, just see them)

Also don't bother turning off wifi

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Phlegmish posted:

I'm trying to upload my music library, but it keeps saying it can't establish a secure connection. I turned off my Windows Firewall and BitDefender. Holy poo poo, this is annoying.

The uploader is trash. It will error if something fails to upload, but has no indication how or when or if it will retry. The best solution I've come up with is removing your library path from the program, rebooting Windows, and readding the library. That will cause the uploader to rescan everything and upload the failures. It's slow. I've done it twice recently and both times, it uploaded about twenty duplicate tracks that I had to manually remove from the cloud.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's "consumer facing" the same way that Slack is. Ie. you can totally use it as a consumer for free if you want, just, why would you if you just want to talk to your friend? You're being very hyperbolic in your recent posts and I'm getting a little tired of it.

Dude, this isn't my opinion being conjured out of thin air or anything:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/12/03/hangouts-executive-rebuts-rumors-of-shut-down-users-will-be-transitioned-to-hangouts-chat-and-meet/

quote:

Both Chat and Meet are available today for G Suite customers and will be made available for consumer users, too. We have not announced an official timeline for transitioning users from classic Hangouts to Chat and Meet.

quote:

Although most of us probably considered Chat and Meet to be more business/enterprise-focused products, these plans make it sound like they could have more of a consumer-facing component in the future.

quote:

We're also told Google does not plan to launch eight more messaging apps in Hangouts wake, and that the real number is twelve. We regret the error.

Also, lots of people use Discord to talk to their friend, which is essentially "consumer slack" so I'm not sure what your point is there.

The very first comment on that article's thread (not by me):

quote:

Instead of this mess, Google should have united Hangouts with Messages, Allo and Duo altogether in only just one single and great universal app way long ago, able to compete with iMessages as well.

I'm not stating a new or controversial opinion here

SuperiorColliculus fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 6, 2018

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Making Chat and Meet available for consumers in the same way Slack is available for consumers. You need to tone down your aggressive rants on messaging a little here.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

What makes you think I'm being aggressive? I (and seemingly many others) just have a different opinion than you, and you're taking umbrage with it for some reason.

I'm not anti-android or anti-google at all - I own a P2XL, use google fi, and am hip deep in google services because for the most part, they're really good. I just wish they'd sort out their messaging, because a single, transparent messaging system is literally the only thing I miss about having an iPhone.

SuperiorColliculus fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 6, 2018

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

What makes you think I'm being aggressive? I (and seemingly many others) just have a different opinion than you, and you're taking umbrage with it for some reason.

I'm not anti-android or anti-google at all - I own a P2XL, use google fi, and am hip deep in google services because for the most part, they're really good. I just wish they'd sort out their messaging, because a single, transparent messaging system is literally the only thing I miss about having an iPhone.

I'm not accusing you of any of that, and you've made your point repeatedly, we get it.

e: We even have the same opinion dude. I'm just being calmer about it than you.

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 6, 2018

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Uthor posted:

The uploader is trash. It will error if something fails to upload, but has no indication how or when or if it will retry. The best solution I've come up with is removing your library path from the program, rebooting Windows, and readding the library. That will cause the uploader to rescan everything and upload the failures. It's slow. I've done it twice recently and both times, it uploaded about twenty duplicate tracks that I had to manually remove from the cloud.

The total number of songs I'm uploading seems to be fluctuating. Bizarrely, it was going up at first, now it's less than when I started.

You know what, as long as 95% of my songs make it up there in the cloud, I'm OK with it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

FWIW, I agree with you on basically everything you've said. Google LOVES spreading features out across apps (just look at their million messaging apps or Gmail vs Inbox) and it's ridiculous.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm 100% mad they're killing Inbox, though. The Gmail app and site are both total garbage in comparison.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Echophonic posted:

I'm 100% mad they're killing Inbox, though. The Gmail app and site are both total garbage in comparison.

As a long-time Inbox user, I don't think Gmail's app/site is garbage at all, and I re-adjusted in like a day. They've folded most of Inbox's features into Gmail anyways.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm exaggerating somewhat, but I much prefer the grouping and other features that Inbox adds. Which of the Inbox features got folded in? The app still still seems about the same on a cursory look. The UI is also a lot nicer in Inbox. I'll end up getting used to it again, I'm sure.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Echophonic posted:

I'm exaggerating somewhat, but I much prefer the grouping and other features that Inbox adds. Which of the Inbox features got folded in? The app still still seems about the same on a cursory look. The UI is also a lot nicer in Inbox. I'll end up getting used to it again, I'm sure.

Things which got folded in were snoozing and categories, that's it. Grouping and info cards are absent. I switched when new Gmail launched and could definitely see if you liked grouping how Gmail is going to destroy your workflow. I never grouped so it didn't bother me.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Can anyone recommend a monthly grid calendar widget that shows events and start times within each day and also supports scrolling? "Business Calendar 2" has all that except scrolling. I don't want to buy the pro version until I'm sure there's not a perfect widget out there.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

What do you guys use for shipment tracking? I've been using Aftership but they've switched to a subscription model.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

I've been using NetGuard for adblocking, but it keeps notifying me about both stable and beta updates instead of just stable updates, and the beta updates seem to break adblocking until I either roll back or a new stable update comes out.
What are the other good current adblock app options again?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I switched to Blockada a while back, I'm pretty pleased with it.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

What do you guys use for shipment tracking? I've been using Aftership but they've switched to a subscription model.

I use Deliveries. There was a hiccup recently in their Amazon sync system but it went away for me, and it's been solid otherwise.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I recently got a samsung note 9, and put my music library on an SD card. Making playlists is a chore on the phone itself since I tend to make really large lists; I was trying to use VLC to make playlists on my computer and then save them to the phone, but for some reason it's not working, I can't figure it out, and I can't find a solution online that will work.

Is there a better, preferably free player out there that will let me make playlists on my computer and then save them over to the phone?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Listerine posted:

I recently got a samsung note 9, and put my music library on an SD card. Making playlists is a chore on the phone itself since I tend to make really large lists; I was trying to use VLC to make playlists on my computer and then save them to the phone, but for some reason it's not working, I can't figure it out, and I can't find a solution online that will work.

Is there a better, preferably free player out there that will let me make playlists on my computer and then save them over to the phone?

I mean, Google Music lets you do this but I assume you're not using it because you don't want to upload your music.

Couch Life
Aug 20, 2010

I use MusicBee. You can sync to an SD card, including playlists, easily.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

LastInLine posted:

I mean, Google Music lets you do this but I assume you're not using it because you don't want to upload your music.

I've used Google Music in the past, but unless things have changed and I didn't notice, these were the limitations I ran into:

1) It was a streaming service, so if I'm offline I can't get access to my music/playlists.
2) There was a limit of 1000 songs per playlist.

Have either of those changed?

Couch Life posted:

Thanks, I'll check this out.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

You have always been able to upload your own music since the beginning...

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Listerine posted:

1) It was a streaming service, so if I'm offline I can't get access to my music/playlists

You have always been able to "pin" music to cache it and listen to offline. This was never true. Spotify is the same.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Uthor posted:

You have always been able to upload your own music since the beginning...

I understand that. For playback, I needed to be able to connect to my google account to access the playlists. Can I use Google play to create playlists for music on my SD card, and play back when I am not connected to the internet?

CLAM DOWN posted:

You have always been able to "pin" music to cache it and listen to offline. This was never true. Spotify is the same.

Thank you, I did not know that, I'll go back and try it out.

edit- Does that mean my phone would now re-download all the music despite having it on the SD card already?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Listerine posted:

I understand that. For playback, I needed to be able to connect to my google account to access the playlists. Can I use Google play to create playlists for music on my SD card, and play back when I am not connected to the internet?

Thank you, I did not know that, I'll go back and try it out.

edit- Does that mean my phone would now re-download all the music despite having it on the SD card already?

I've never put my own music on an SD card for a phone so I don't know. I know you have the option to select an SD card as the caching/download location for streaming music apps, that's about all I know there.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I don't know about SD cards, but from how Google Play Music works, it will most likely download the songs on its own.

Once your stuff is in the cloud, you can download and play any song, album, or playlist offline.

It sometimes finds and plays music I store on my phone, so you can just try opening it up and seeing if it loads your library.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Couch Life posted:

What are you using to play content once it's on your phone? The only app in the Google Play store is for Musicbee Remote, which seems to just control the computer I'm connecting to- it doesn't recognize any local content, neither music nor playlists. I can use the desktop app to sync content very easily on the phone, just can't then play it directly from the phone. I'm wondering if there was another app at some point that's not available anymore?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

You'll still have the 1000 item limit on the playlist so GPM probably still isn't ideal for you.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

LastInLine posted:

You'll still have the 1000 item limit on the playlist so GPM probably still isn't ideal for you.

wow, that's pretty weak.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I just make multiple playlists and pin them individually to get around that limitation but I totally understand if that resolution seems less than adequate.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Listerine posted:

2) There was a limit of 1000 songs per playlist.

Oh did they fix this because it never worked for me.

My largest playlist is exactly 910 songs. If I try to add anything else, it will delete it off the playlist.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

ThermoPhysical posted:

Oh did they fix this because it never worked for me.

My largest playlist is exactly 910 songs. If I try to add anything else, it will delete it off the playlist.

Nope, it's still a limit.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Does anyone know if there is a Muzei extension that will apply it to wallpapers from the Google Wallpaper app? Ideally I'd like to pick one of the themes from Google's app, have it set to change daily, and then apply the Muzei effect to it. I usually stick to the default source of artworks, but some days when the art being used isn't really that nice to look at I'd like to have an alternative option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

What kinds of playlists are people making that makes the 1000 limit annoying. Assuming normal song lengths that's nearly 3 days of non-stop play.

Maybe I just don't get it because I never saw a reason to make playlists. The closest I come is listen queues and that's just a few songs :shrug: