Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

8675,309 Remembers the Name and Number of the Elect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
1989 Born To Die, World Is A gently caress, Kill Em All

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

GunnerJ posted:

1989 Born To Die, World Is A gently caress, Kill Em All

:golfclap: I suspect Juggernaut dunks on you constantly for dying so much.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

They're a lot better off than 410,757,864,530 Dead Cops.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

sirtommygunn posted:

They're a lot better off than 410,757,864,530 Dead Cops.

He was always just one day from retirement :smith:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
48262849478 Feet

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

The culture ship name references makes me think of how in Stellaris, sometimes you'll find a pirate ship named "My First Ship 2"

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

I don't think so...

That doesn't really jibe with the way the narrative has been unfolding so far. If the Concordant Angels are actually consistent and upstanding brothers, the way White Chain talks about them initially, it implies that White Chain is in fact the weird deviant one. The Concordance would be the last, noble, dwindling bastion of order, and White Chain would be the pervert who also briefly flirted with universal omnicide. Having the Concordance be corrupt gives retroactive justification to White Chain's struggle with their strictures.

It's sort of like how, after Solomon's kingdom has been introduced as "the somewhat chill and livable demiurge realm", I'm guessing that the twist will be the unseen women/daughters being kept in harems/slavery or some sort of brutal version of 1950s housewifery.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1075162959054340097

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
:five:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Gay is BACK baby!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

HECKIN GOSH

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Super tempted to run a game of She-Ra: Princesses of Power in Broken Worlds for maximum gay efficiency.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

I don't think so. Rogue angels haven't really been shy about flouting the law that we've seen. I think it's more likely that these are perfectly perfect law abiding and enforcing angels but that somehow it's this rote and inflexible adherence to the law that results in Vash getting off with little more than a slap on the wrist, and White Chain's going to be pissed as hell about this despite the fact that as an immutable being of law that doesn't crave change she should simply accept this situation and move on, duty done. Like these last couple of pages have been all about White Chain going "stop it, I'm not changing, angels don't change, we don't want change," but I have a feeling that deep down White Chain values justice more than she does law and watching Vash bounce back to his crime bossing ways on the Throne equivalent of a technicality is going to be what pushes her to really start breaking out of her self-imposed dogma and start being the change she wants to see in the world. Possibly starting with punching Vash so hard that his spirit vacates his body.

He is duly delivered for judgement. Unfortunately the court in question hasn't been in operation for 600 years and he just walks out through a shattered wall.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Dead Reckoning posted:

That doesn't really jibe with the way the narrative has been unfolding so far. If the Concordant Angels are actually consistent and upstanding brothers, the way White Chain talks about them initially, it implies that White Chain is in fact the weird deviant one. The Concordance would be the last, noble, dwindling bastion of order, and White Chain would be the pervert who also briefly flirted with universal omnicide. Having the Concordance be corrupt gives retroactive justification to White Chain's struggle with their strictures.

It's sort of like how, after Solomon's kingdom has been introduced as "the somewhat chill and livable demiurge realm", I'm guessing that the twist will be the unseen women/daughters being kept in harems/slavery or some sort of brutal version of 1950s housewifery.

What if Solomon's kingdom is just a "somewhat chill and livable demiurge realm" but still living under an ageless and narcissistic dictator is still just inherently bad?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

M_Gargantua posted:

What if Solomon's kingdom is just a "somewhat chill and livable demiurge realm" but still living under an ageless and narcissistic dictator is still just inherently bad?

:yeah:

Also, the Concordant Knights can be reasonably upright and dedicated, and still be rigid and doomed to fail because of that rigidity. The treatment of White Chain does not need to result from some other iniquity to be iniquitous. White Chain is justified in not wanting!to be forced to conform to their order's unnecessary and outdated strictures.

E: plus like... the leader of the Concordant Knights is 2 Michael who is working with the Thorns anyways, White Chain's flirtation with thorns was less than the ambient degree of alliance between the two.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 19, 2018

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

There were literally Thorn Knights sitting in on the meeting White Chain had with 2 Michael, and Juggernaut Star was there to meet her when she was sent to the Void to take her to see 2 Michael and 1 Metatron. The Angels have gone totally off the rails.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

The way I think about it is that the Thorn Knights are not technically in violation of the Old Law, because they obey Metatron. So the Concordant Knights may come into conflict with them, but are required to give them a seat at the table (and more Concordant Knights probably don't care that much about the Thorns).
But the Thorns are a result of the failure of the Root in the face of the Second Conquest. They arose because the Root couldn't stop universal war, and when angels are disillusioned they seem to either embrace the Petal path and live for themselves, or go hardcore revanchist and become faceless Thorns enforcers. White Chain might be unique: a dedicated Root Knight who recognizes that the Root is failing (or doesn't yet, but, I suspect WC will eventually).

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Root, Thorn, Petal, but who shall be the Seed?

probably white chain

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

While it's clear Allison is the protagonist rather than the hero of this piece, I'm not sure Operant wants to get into the philosophical question of balancing freedom vs stability by having her turn 1/7 of creation into post-Saddam Iraq. The pattern isn't going to go:
Mottom: Empire literally built on unsustainable consumption and blood sacrifice
Incubus: Imperial conqueror (acting) and also mind leech
Mammon: Insane leader of insane cult trapped in solipsistic loop
Solomon: Nice, but maybe someone else deserves a chance at ruling?

Joe Slowboat posted:

Also, the Concordant Knights can be reasonably upright and dedicated, and still be rigid and doomed to fail because of that rigidity. The treatment of White Chain does not need to result from some other iniquity to be iniquitous. White Chain is justified in not wanting!to be forced to conform to their order's unnecessary and outdated strictures.
Let me put it like this: I don't think the gender non-conforming angel is going to be the one in the wrong, or that the conservative society she doesn't fit into are simply going to be good citizens with a different point of view. Her arc doesn't make sense without a larger conflict, and so far every other institution of throne has turned out to be irredeemably corrupt or self-dealing.

wiegieman posted:

There were literally Thorn Knights sitting in on the meeting White Chain had with 2 Michael, and Juggernaut Star was there to meet her when she was sent to the Void to take her to see 2 Michael and 1 Metatron. The Angels have gone totally off the rails.
It's clear that only 2 Michael knows this though. The rest of the Concordance think the Thorns and Petals are renegades that they simply lack the resources to effectively deal with.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I don't think the conservative society needs to be wildly, secretly evil to be bad.

Plus, Allison has already turned a significant part of the setting into post-Saddam Iraq. Her whole arc has been bringing war to an unstable and despotic universe. That's the whole comic's deal!

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
I think the problem with the Celestial Empire is its punitive, draconian legal system. The one court case we've gotten details on led to literally every person involved -- both plaintiffs and the defendant -- receiving punishment. It's peaceful, and the ziggurats run on time, but you can be sentenced to hard labor for sleeping with a soldier and executed for perjury, and that seems sufficiently wicked to me.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i mean hes basically hammurabi in that regard

though oddly enough hammurabis law code was apparently to limit punishment, not demand it lmao

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
or maybe just basically hammurabi in general

wikipedia posted:

Hammurabi was honored above all other kings of the second millennium BC[35] and he received the unique honor of being declared to be a god within his own lifetime.[36] The personal name "Hammurabi-ili" meaning "Hammurabi is my god" became common during and after his reign. In writings from shortly after his death, Hammurabi is commemorated mainly for three achievements: bringing victory in war, bringing peace, and bringing justice.[36] Hammurabi's conquests came to be regarded as part of a sacred mission to spread civilization to all nations.[37]

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tollymain posted:

though oddly enough hammurabis law code was apparently to limit punishment, not demand it lmao

When you consider what humans are like, a code of laws that said "ok if you do this you get your hands cut off, if you do that you die", no matter how draconic*, is probably preferable to the whims of whatever vaguely judiciary figure could be hauled out of bed in the middle of the night by a worked-up mob

cause humans get really, really upset, like, "don't just kill him, kill his wife, his kids, his grandpa, his oxen, burn his house, burn the entire block, am nam nam nam nam (this is where the angry dude seizes onto the nearest piece of wood and is angrily biting it cause he's so mad)"

*I like that I'm using the laws of Draco to describe the laws of Hammurabi here, this is fun for me

e: Also apparently hammurabic code was some of the first to have presumption of innocence, like, the fact that you were accused of a crime wasn't enough to merit punishment on its own, there had to be some evidence. Or you could jump in the river and not drown and that also proved you were innocent, and then the fellow who accused you would in turn be put to death

ee: so if you ever plan on time-traveling back to ancient babylon, learn your loving front stroke

Phy fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 19, 2018

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Tollymain posted:

cutting off limbs of convicts is actually quite lenient compared to "my brothers will beat the poo poo out of you for stealing from me, your brothers will murder me for beating you up, my entire family will set fire to your house with your family sleeping, your extended family will kill any members of mine on sight, same."

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

A question, since I'm working on my Broken Worlds campaign:

I've been wondering what that green smoke is that the prime angel transports are walking through, and I assumed for a while it was just mist or dust or something... But apparently it may be the sacred waters of the city? So the prime angels are always wading through knee-to-chest high water while walking around outside of the city?

My headcanon is that Throne is a wide-brimmed hat being worn by Himself's actual self (who is just out of frame, wearing fabulous BOSS clothing).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, 'an eye for an eye' was a limiting measure intended to prevent grossly disproportionate retribution and hopefully discourage ever-escalating blood feuds.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Does Lancer take place in one of the 777,777 universes?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No, the other way around. Lancer takes place on a larger meta-verse called the Bus. The Wheel is only one part.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Synthbuttrange posted:

No, the other way around. Lancer takes place on a larger meta-verse called the Bus. The Wheel is only one part.

Boo. Hiss.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Poltergrift posted:

I think the problem with the Celestial Empire is its punitive, draconian legal system. The one court case we've gotten details on led to literally every person involved -- both plaintiffs and the defendant -- receiving punishment. It's peaceful, and the ziggurats run on time, but you can be sentenced to hard labor for sleeping with a soldier and executed for perjury, and that seems sufficiently wicked to me.

Abaddon's line (from the beginning of this chapter?) went something like "Solomon David's subjects live peacefully, and perhaps even well, but for the heavy blade of the Law constantly grazing the tender skin of their necks."

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Abaddon's line (from the beginning of this chapter?) went something like "Solomon David's subjects live peacefully, and perhaps even well, but for the heavy blade of the Law constantly grazing the tender skin of their necks."

Ah so its the "Steal fruit to feed yourself, you get your hand cut and someone else gets their head chopped off for failing to feed you sufficiently." society.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
It may be a legalistic Byzantine nightmare bureaucracy where The Trains Run On Time, but so far it's been established that the only realistic alternatives in this setting are things like "actual nightmare where the trains are sentient masses of worms and demon flesh fueled by the blood of the innocent."

So far, all the Demiurges have started out looking superficially cool, but then turn out to be inexcusably horrible. (Except maybe Mammon, and I'd say Allison has a solid argument that Mottom deciding to gently caress up Yre wasn't Allison's fault.)

I don't think Diamond Dave Solomon is going to buck that trend.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Dead Reckoning posted:

It may be a legalistic Byzantine nightmare bureaucracy where The Trains Run On Time, but so far it's been established that the only realistic alternatives in this setting are things like "actual nightmare where the trains are sentient masses of worms and demon flesh fueled by the blood of the innocent."

So far, all the Demiurges have started out looking superficially cool, but then turn out to be inexcusably horrible. (Except maybe Mammon, and I'd say Allison has a solid argument that Mottom deciding to gently caress up Yre wasn't Allison's fault.)

I don't think Diamond Dave Solomon is going to buck that trend.

There's also the realistic alternative of just like, completely normal actual nightmare world where Donald Trump is President, also there's no Australia

The Demiurges are the biggest formal powers around but they're not actually the entire Universe, just pretenders. Nearly the entire comic has been set in places directly adjacent to their seats of power where their authority does not reach, the vast bulk of the multiverse has likely never even heard of them.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 20, 2018

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

There's also the realistic alternative of just like, completely normal actual nightmare world where Donald Trump is President, also there's no Australia

The Demiurges are the biggest formal powers around but they're not actually the entire Universe, just pretenders. Nearly the entire comic has been set in places directly adjacent to their seats of power where their authority does not reach, the vast bulk of the multiverse has likely never even heard of them.

Unless you're in Mottom's domain and are required to spend every walking moment of your life blind-stitching silk toilet paper until your eyeballs pop and your adrenal gland is harvested for alien gently caress drugs

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Allison's world is in Mottom's domain. It looks like she didn't decide to evenly oppress her entire claim so much as pick a few favorites (like the world we saw) to raid over and over and leave most of the other 111,111 to their own devices.

None of them are exactly large-scale thinkers, they don't have the imagination to gently caress up everything. Save, sorta, for Jagganoth.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Allison's world is in Mottom's domain. It looks like she didn't decide to evenly oppress her entire claim so much as pick a few favorites (like the world we saw) to raid over and over and leave most of the other 111,111 to their own devices.

None of them are exactly large-scale thinkers, they don't have the imagination to gently caress up everything. Save, sorta, for Jagganoth.

I don't think it's that she has left them to their own devices so much as it is that she is extracting from them one at a time. Perhaps she would risk overextending herself of she just went all out on all of them at once.

It's likely that Allison's world's days were numbered before everything went haywire.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Nyave's world was so hosed up because Mottom was revisiting it every year to extract her tithe in person, when was she going to get around to the places she's never been to in all of history? She did clearly delegate a lot of her looting, it wasn't all just direct from her mobile oppression palace, but there were worlds she "owns" and worlds where she had any noteworthy presence; the image her court and offering projected were of stable imperial holdings where she held a real power structure that extracted wealth in her name, not the spoils of pirate raids.

More to the point, even if she visits each of her worlds in turn and pillages it back to the stone age once every, what, ten thousand years? she still basically doesn't exist as far as virtually her entire domain is concerned, virtually all of the time. And she comes off as one of the more far-ranging demiurges - Solomon David actually tries to administer his empire, and the guy can't stand to let a brick be moved without his personal oversight. The outside world clearly stopped existing for Mammon and his upper priesthood a good long time ago. Who knows what the deal with Incubus or Jadis are.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
It's been implied that Incubus' realms are basically constantly at war.