Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Taffer posted:

What kinds of playlists are people making that makes the 1000 limit annoying. Assuming normal song lengths that's nearly 3 days of non-stop play.

Maybe I just don't get it because I never saw a reason to make playlists. The closest I come is listen queues and that's just a few songs :shrug:

I make big play lists because my genre info is all screwed up and it's been easier to do that than fix metadata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Who cares what reasons they are, people want to do things and their tech choices are valid even if you personally have a workaround. It's just an arbitrary limit a software engineer came up with to (probably) prevent excessive playlist loading times that's (probably) redundant anyway now they added that shuffle/radio mechanic that progressively loads the playlist in chunks of 20ish.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Taffer posted:

What kinds of playlists are people making that makes the 1000 limit annoying. Assuming normal song lengths that's nearly 3 days of non-stop play.

Maybe I just don't get it because I never saw a reason to make playlists. The closest I come is listen queues and that's just a few songs :shrug:

I wanted to make a large playlist of music to pin to my phone because Google Music does not track what songs are pinned to your phone so when you get a new phone you get to do it all over again.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I'm a fiend for music, my song library is large enough that it exceeded the upload limit for the original Google play (I think that was 20,000 at the time?).

I listen to my music in three ways. Put the entire library on random (surprise me!), put a large playlist on random which holds my favorite tracks from each artist (surprise me!, best of version), or a smaller lists that are themed. Even then, they can get large. My New Music themed playlist is at 720 songs, which has all the albums I've bought over the past few months.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

What is a good and really simple music player for Android? I listen to 95% of my music on the Spotify app anyway, so I don't care about all kinds of bells and whistles. As long as it plays all common formats and looks decent. Can be paid.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 19, 2018

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Taffer posted:

While I don't do it, I understand making a huge playlist of similar artists/tracks and just shuffling it forever.

Internet Explorer posted:

I wanted to make a large playlist of music to pin to my phone because Google Music does not track what songs are pinned to your phone so when you get a new phone you get to do it all over again.

Oh yeah, and this is definitely something useful I've done.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 19, 2018

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

How many animes will Google Play Music let me queue up at once???

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

vyst posted:

How many animes will Google Play Music let me queue up at once???

Well you can only fit like 12 on your device since it doesn't support SD cards, so I'm gonna say all of them.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Taffer posted:

The playlist I use for driving has almost 1000 songs in it. When I hear a song I like, I add it to the playlist. I've been adding to it for over 6 years now.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Mystic Stylez posted:

What is a good and really simple music player for Android? I listen to 95% of my music on the Spotify app anyway, so I don't care about all kinds of bells and whistles. As long as it plays all common formats and looks decent. Can be paid.

There are many, I use Rocket Player. Plays from folder structure, not annoying.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Unless you're a time traveler from 1996, a "playlist" is not necessarily some carefully ordered list of songs you listen to in one sitting.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Call me a time traveler because that's exactly what I thought a playlist was.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I'd never really considered it, but I guess there is a bit of a split between playlist-as-mixtape and playlist-as-station.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Toast Museum posted:

I'd never really considered it, but I guess there is a bit of a split between playlist-as-mixtape and playlist-as-station.

Or playlist-as-archive.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

nexus6 posted:

Call me a time traveler because that's exactly what I thought a playlist was.

Technically we're all time travelers moving at the same rate into the future.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Hey, some of us are further from the center of the Earth and time moves fractionally slower!

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I haven't made a playlist where I cared about the order since spending hours programming my college girlfriend's 100 disc changer only to have the power go out and the whole list disappear.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Internet Explorer posted:

Settings > Manage Downloads (near the bottom)

That should show you all downoaded items. I don't pin individual songs (only full albums, playlists, and stations), but I assume it shows those, too. It doesn't really solve your problem of making it easy to recreate all your pinned items on a new phone, though.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

incogneato posted:

Settings > Manage Downloads (near the bottom)

That should show you all downoaded items. I don't pin individual songs (only full albums, playlists, and stations), but I assume it shows those, too. It doesn't really solve your problem of making it easy to recreate all your pinned items on a new phone, though.

Pretty sure this only works on your existing phone. If you lose/break your phone and set up a new one, google play music does not keep track of what you've pinned before.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

deong posted:

Pretty sure this only works on your existing phone. If you lose/break your phone and set up a new one, google play music does not keep track of what you've pinned before.

Yes, that's definitely true. Song downloads are device-specific.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

deong posted:

Correct, same for spotify, netflix, Plex sync, anything that locally pins media to a device.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

i just got a new pixel 3 and im coming from a iphone 5

help

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ramadu posted:

help

What do you need help with? Finding your shift key?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Ramadu posted:

help

Go to Google play store, download apps

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

vyst posted:

Go to Google play store, download apps

mods?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

No, you go to XDA to download mods :rolleyes:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

What do you need help with? Finding your shift key?

🙄🙄🙄

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Anybody remember when Snapchat said they were going to rewrite their Android app from scratch and make it not lovely? Well, it turns out there is a secret Alpha version of that rewrite that you can opt in to. If you go to the Snap Map (swipe down from the camera screen) and find Bermuda on the map, there's a ghost icon you can click on that will get you in. I've only used it a little, so it might be riddled with bugs, but so far it's been super responsive and made me not hate using Snapchat anymore.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I've got a dumb question. On iOS I could put .mobi files into Dropbox and open them in the Kindle app and they'd work fine. This doesn't seem to work on Android? Is there something I am missing?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm not getting turn by turn directions in the instrument cluster from Android Auto in my mom's new CR-V. Used to work fine. Now it just says "waiting for directions from phone".

On the plus side, the audio player will jump to the current playing track when I tap to view the playlist. In my car, it starts at the beginning of the playlist, which is too long to scroll to the song that is actually playing.

And Bluetooth has stopped working properly in my car, which I think is a problem with the phone. My car lists my phone in its memory, but my phone doesn't list my car.

Android Auto always seems to be broken in new and exciting ways.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
I get a lot of spam texts from wish.com.
Always the same text, and I saw you used to be able to block phrases in texts. Anyway to do that now?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Uthor posted:

I'm not getting turn by turn directions in the instrument cluster from Android Auto in my mom's new CR-V. Used to work fine. Now it just says "waiting for directions from phone".

On the plus side, the audio player will jump to the current playing track when I tap to view the playlist. In my car, it starts at the beginning of the playlist, which is too long to scroll to the song that is actually playing.

And Bluetooth has stopped working properly in my car, which I think is a problem with the phone. My car lists my phone in its memory, but my phone doesn't list my car.

Android Auto always seems to be broken in new and exciting ways.

Lots of people complaining about this on the Android Auto subreddit, and it's not just Honda cars either.

Basically AA being AA.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
What is a good file manager app these days? Or alternatively, a good way to hide photo albums/folders so they don't display in the photo gallery?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Demon_Corsair posted:

What is a good file manager app these days? Or alternatively, a good way to hide photo albums/folders so they don't display in the photo gallery?

Assuming you're talking about Google Photos, go to the Device Folders option in the menu, go to the Dick Pic folder you're wanting to exclude, and toggle the "backup to cloud" switch. It will no longer appear in the Google Photos gallery.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

Assuming you're talking about Google Photos, go to the Device Folders option in the menu, go to the Dick Pic folder you're wanting to exclude, and toggle the "backup to cloud" switch. It will no longer appear in the Google Photos gallery.

That won't sync it, but it still displays on my phone. That's why I was thinking about moving it to a folder and adding the .nomedia file, so its hidden locally as well.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Demon_Corsair posted:

That won't sync it, but it still displays on my phone. That's why I was thinking about moving it to a folder and adding the .nomedia file, so its hidden locally as well.
Quickpic has both a hide and an exclude function for folders, one of which does the nomedia thing, the other just blocks it from showing inside the Quickpic app itself, which might suffice, depending on your wants. It's a good pic viewing app in general.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Quickpic was bought by Cheetah Mobile a couple of years ago and instantly started sending user data to their own servers.

Cheetah are also accused of ad fraud and got a couple of apps removed by Google in December 2018.
https://www.xda-developers.com/cheetah-mobile-ad-fraud-android-apps/ (lol XDA)

The current version of Quickpic might not be affected by the recent fuckery by Cheetah, but definitely something users should be aware of.

Edit: Alternatives: https://www.slant.co/topics/3669/~best-alternatives-to-quickpic-for-android
Seems like Piktures can hide folders.

Fart of Presto fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 28, 2018

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Fart of Presto posted:

Quickpic was bought by Cheetah Mobile a couple of years ago and instantly started sending user data to their own servers.

Cheetah are also accused of ad fraud and got a couple of apps removed by Google in December 2018.
https://www.xda-developers.com/cheetah-mobile-ad-fraud-android-apps/ (lol XDA)

The current version of Quickpic might not be affected by the recent fuckery by Cheetah, but definitely something users should be aware of.
I withdraw my recommendation then and I guess I'm in the market for something else myself.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Fart of Presto posted:

Seems like Piktures can hide folders.

It does. Or did when I was using it to hide videos. (I use streaming services now as it's less hassle.)

Thing I noticed that it doesn't do: display slow mo videos taken with the Google camera or display those motion picture things that I never use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Is solid explorer still recommended? I'm pretty sure I bought that a couple phones ago.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 28, 2018