Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

something awful is haunted by a spectre, the spectre of my linux rig still talking about the last thing that went through his head, the day he thought of mt. gox and died

some nights out there on the post chain, you can almost think he's still telling people to buy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The very worst sort of annoying temporarily embarrassed millionaire.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Good god, MLR really believes all the Bitcoin poo poo

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just imagine, if MLR had kept those 600 coins and had sold at the peak, he wouldn't be posting here any more.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

divabot posted:

this is of course false - transaction rates are through the floor, both on the blockchain and on the exchanges

all the other suckers from the bubble have gone home, it's just the ghost of mlr, haunting the shade of his bitcoins on Mount Gox

the shade of mlr's bitcoins on mt gox, literally just before mt gox shut down:

lol, it's amazing considering that bitcoin went from under $100 to $19,000 just how few of these complete loving idiots managed to hold on to any money.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

stinch posted:

lol, it's amazing considering that bitcoin went from under $100 to $19,000 just how few of these complete loving idiots managed to hold on to any money.

To be fair, some of them probably held on to the Bitcoin all the way through the rise and fall. Why settle for being a millionaire at 20k each when you can be a billionaire once BTC hits 200k each. And despite still being able to make a substantial profit, they haven’t sold yet because it can only go up, up, up.

I cannot imagine what it must be like to be that brain damaged.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
My new hobby is gonna be doxing truebelivers to the IRS.

#idiaudit

tminz
Jul 1, 2004
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-18/crypto-mystery-clues-suggest-tether-has-the-billions-it-promised?srnd=premium

Big, if true.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Maybe they should release some actual statements instead of leaking some excerpts to an outlet like Bloomberg well-known for journalists running with fantasy stories about things they've been told about.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Waltzing Along posted:

Just imagine, if MLR had kept those 600 coins and had sold at the peak, he wouldn't be posting here any more.

even rich people post

but you’re right about one thing, I have been doing some fun things with the extra cash my investments have earned

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

My Linux Rig posted:

even rich people post

but you’re right about one thing, I have been doing some fun things with the extra cash my investments have earned

Since people dogpiled a bit, you might have missed it, can you check my last questions to you regarding adoption?

Also, at what price point did you buy your btc?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

My Linux Rig posted:

even rich people post

#thathappened

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Bingo. There'd be no point in maintaining a gimmick even when in conversations where nothing is funny about it.

trolling is for entertaining yourself, not others. the funny part is when every poster in the thread can't stop themselves from posting whole paragraphs about how dumb "you" are even when they know it's a gimmick

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

My new hobby is gonna be doxing truebelivers to the IRS.

#idiaudit

Bitcoin "investors" in the Netherlands are kind of hosed. We have a fictional capital gains tax where the tax service just assumes you will make 2% gains on any capital over €30k (and 4% on any capital over €70k) you have and you owe 30% taxes over it no matter if you actually realised those gains or not. Bitcoin counts as capital. For your 2018 taxes you need to report the value your bitcoins had on January 1st 2018, you owe taxes over that ammount.

NihilismNow fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 18, 2018

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

NihilismNow posted:

Bitcoin "investors" in the Netherlands are kind of hosed. We have a fictional capital gains tax where the tax service just assumes you will make 2% gains on any capital over €30k (and 4% on any capital over €70k) you have and you owe 30% taxes over it no matter if you actually realised those gains or not. Bitcoin counts as capital. For your 2018 taxes you need to report the value your bitcoins had on January 1st 2018, you owe taxes over that ammount.

Not nearly as hosed as anybody trading anything in the US in late December. A butter with €70000 in butts on January 1st will only have to pay (70000 - 30000) * 0.02 * 0.30 = €240 in taxes (and if they had €100000 in butts, they'd only have to pay €600).

A US butter would have to pay capital gains taxes of the actual gains, which could be huge if bought early 2017 or before and traded (not necessarily sold) in December. If the €100000 butter bought in at €20000 and traded their butts for any of the other variety of butts, they could owe taxes of an income of €80000, which according to a quick Google could be 0% - 20$ or €0 - €16000.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

klafbang posted:

Not nearly as hosed as anybody trading anything in the US in late December. A butter with €70000 in butts on January 1st will only have to pay (70000 - 30000) * 0.02 * 0.30 = €240 in taxes (and if they had €100000 in butts, they'd only have to pay €600).

A US butter would have to pay capital gains taxes of the actual gains, which could be huge if bought early 2017 or before and traded (not necessarily sold) in December. If the €100000 butter bought in at €20000 and traded their butts for any of the other variety of butts, they could owe taxes of an income of €80000, which according to a quick Google could be 0% - 20$ or €0 - €16000.
You're right, a number of newspaper articles made this point but if you do the math €200 is hardly going to give anyone sleepless nights.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

imagine if he hadnt fallen to the mtgox exit scam real hack

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

oh good more fake debating with a fake believer haven't seen this before

Gorak
Dec 25, 2004

"Oh my God, they revived Gorak! You bastards!"
About 11 months ago, this guy: https://medium.com/@xoelop/weve-simulated-the-bitcoin-price-for-the-whole-2018-you-won-t-believe-the-result-4a602679dac2 predicted with 80% certainty that bitcoin would be between 13000 and 270000.

He used graphs and poo poo with like hundreds of iterations.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Gorak posted:

About 11 months ago, this guy: https://medium.com/@xoelop/weve-simulated-the-bitcoin-price-for-the-whole-2018-you-won-t-believe-the-result-4a602679dac2 predicted with 80% certainty that bitcoin would be between 13000 and 270000.

He used graphs and poo poo with like hundreds of iterations.

To be fair, 20% uncertainty is pretty drat high.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

My Linux Rig posted:

even rich people post

yes, but we have 0 reason to believe you are in any way associated with this category

your gox coins are dead, you don't have to keep posting, you are free to pass through to the next world now

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

go into the light bitcoin ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4Dc-J_mD7c

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

divabot posted:

yes, but we have 0 reason to believe you are in any way associated with this category

your gox coins are dead, you don't have to keep posting, you are free to pass through to the next world now

let's not be so hasty now. the gox coins will come back some time in 2019 and when everyone gets them, they'll finally crash the market entirely trying to discard them as fas as possible

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

let's not be so hasty now. the gox coins will come back some time in 2019 and when everyone gets them, they'll finally crash the market entirely trying to discard them as fas as possible

funds are safu

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 18, 2018

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Aren't the gox coins traceable somehow? I know they kept them in wallets and did all the trading on the internal database they had until people withdrew them (so they never actually moved most of the time), but if whomever stole or exit strategy'd them ever attempted to use them, wouldn't they have to enter the ledger as part of re-entering and being validated for movement?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

McGiggins posted:

Aren't the gox coins traceable somehow? I know they kept them in wallets and did all the trading on the internal database they had until people withdrew them (so they never actually moved most of the time), but if whomever stole or exit strategy'd them ever attempted to use them, wouldn't they have to enter the ledger as part of re-entering and being validated for movement?

Those bitcoins are still on the blockchain ledger, just like the satoshi coins.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

My Linux Rig has been saying this stuff for literally years, I don't know why people think he's faking it.

If you're still using the ol' "too stupid to be real" heuristic to separate truth from fiction in late 2018 then please don't go swimming because you are goddamn dense

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

There Bias Two posted:

To be fair, 20% uncertainty is pretty drat high.

Also, lol at the 2,000% spread without even getting to 95% confidence.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Spatial posted:

If you're still using the ol' "too stupid to be real" heuristic to separate truth from fiction in late 2018 then please don't go swimming because you are goddamn dense
believing literally everything is the only logical choice

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Subjunctive posted:

Those bitcoins are still on the blockchain ledger, just like the satoshi coins.

+ the coins Wired black holed on purpose when BFL or some other early ASIC lab sent them a rig.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

The bitcoin price has increased 15% in three days. Somewhere far away in a dank basement a green light begins to flicker. A human-like shape stirs inside its tube.

> Ham Sandwiches Activated

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Ham and I are actual pm buddies. Not for btc if I remember. But he was ok, leave Britney alone!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
yea ham sandwiches is a true believer, which is funny af, but he's not like an rear end in a top hat or anything. he's certainly no aaro

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
well it looks like bitcoin is at $3.6k now

anyone who bought in when it was at $3.1k is making some deece returns, ive already made around $800 off the amount i investment last weekend

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
what about the amount you investment the weekend before that

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

The White Dragon posted:

what about the amount you investment the weekend before that

you win some and you lose some. but I’m even gaining back the loses from that since bitcoins value is now above what it was on that weekend

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

My Linux Rig posted:

anyone who bought in when it was at $3.1k is making some deece returns, ive already made around $800 off the amount i investment last weekend

Is this where I serious post about what I've earned from index funds and my IRA over my lifetime or should I just laugh at calling buying butts an investment?

I'll take the latter for $200, Alex.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
All you dumbasses saying roulette is -EV, bet you don't feel so smart after I won $800 by betting on black

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

My Linux Rig posted:

Oh my taxable events a plenty!