Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Mordja posted:

Watch this video.

In the original game, the crossbow string magically resets after firing, the AR2 reloads using an individual "bullet" instead of the magazine, and the RPG doesn't even have a real reload animation, it just dips offscreen.

The new AR2 reload is dumb because it fully missed the obvious fact that the "bullet" isn't a bullet, it's a container for the energy rounds. That bullet is the magazine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

DatonKallandor posted:

The new AR2 reload is dumb because it fully missed the obvious fact that the "bullet" isn't a bullet, it's a container for the energy rounds. That bullet is the magazine.

The magazines are a little ridiculous

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I just realized Dusk in on sale and is about $16-17 and I just got a $25 gift card in the mail. HMMM

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ularg posted:

I just realized Dusk in on sale and is about $16-17 and I just got a $25 gift card in the mail. HMMM

i don't get sucked into a game nowadays unless from software makes it but dusk got me hooked. i really hope they do well enough for a sequel.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Groovelord Neato posted:

i don't get sucked into a game nowadays unless from software makes it but dusk got me hooked. i really hope they do well enough for a sequel.

I think I've seen on discord and in interviews and stuff that he might make an immersive sim style game next?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Man, I'm only half way through the noclip Half Life Documentary, and this is far more emotional than I expected it to be.

Its weird how hard Half-Life hit people. You're not the first one to feel that, myself included

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Its weird how hard Half-Life hit people. You're not the first one to feel that, myself included

I might be off here, but when a work of art or media has mystery attached to it, things that it doesn't outright explain, I find that really, REALLY ignites passion for it. Another example is Dark Souls, and Twin Peaks. Both of those things don't usually come right out to say something, and cause the viewer/player to dig deeper.

The Half Life series has a ton of mystery around it, a lot of stuff that lends itself to theory-crafting, and from that, you get a stronger, more dedicated fan base. And even if a fan hasn't really gone down that road entirely, maybe a part of them has, which can be enough sometimes. I haven't written any outlandish theories about any of this, but I can't say I haven't been intrigued when reading about the Borealis.

Pull back the corner a bit and give a peek, and a lot of people will desperately want to see more.

EDIT: Also, it helps that the Half-Life games have had an extremely high level of quality. If they sucked, no one would care.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mordja posted:

Watch this video.

In the original game, the crossbow string magically resets after firing, the AR2 reloads using an individual "bullet" instead of the magazine, and the RPG doesn't even have a real reload animation, it just dips offscreen.

The AR2 reloads using some kind of weird alien energy cell, it doesn't shoot bullets. That one looks fine.

Point taken on the other ones, though. I was probably remembering the HL1 versions, which did have "proper" reload animations.

That said, I contend that the main problem with HL2's arsenal is that it's boring, especially by comparison to HL1/Op4, and making the reload animations prettier won't fix that.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Well, the mod optionally adds a few new weapons like the Gluon gun and the cut OICW also. :shrug:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I might be off here, but when a work of art or media has mystery attached to it, things that it doesn't outright explain, I find that really, REALLY ignites passion for it. Another example is Dark Souls, and Twin Peaks. Both of those things don't usually come right out to say something, and cause the viewer/player to dig deeper.

The Half Life series has a ton of mystery around it, a lot of stuff that lends itself to theory-crafting, and from that, you get a stronger, more dedicated fan base. And even if a fan hasn't really gone down that road entirely, maybe a part of them has, which can be enough sometimes. I haven't written any outlandish theories about any of this, but I can't say I haven't been intrigued when reading about the Borealis.

Pull back the corner a bit and give a peek, and a lot of people will desperately want to see more.

EDIT: Also, it helps that the Half-Life games have had an extremely high level of quality. If they sucked, no one would care.

This is kind of my response when people say they want a Fallout game set in China or something. It would take a lot away from the setting to know that something outside little pockets of civilization in the US continued to exist.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Plan Z posted:

This is kind of my response when people say they want a Fallout game set in China or something. It would take a lot away from the setting to know that something outside little pockets of civilization in the US continued to exist.

Don't Americans think like this anyway? OHHH

The state of the world outside of the US in Fallout isn't exactly unknown, but without the vaults it's probably worse. Tenpenny from FO3 came to the US from Britain so humanity still exists even in the continents that were directly hit by nukes. I'd say Fallout set in another country would feel off without the 1950s America look, but that's assuming other parts of the world never adopted that style during those 120 years. I'd really like to see what China or Britain or even Australia would look like after the war

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I want to see the spinoff set in Canada, Falloot.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

haveblue posted:

Just have one set in Minnesota.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
People survived all over the us in fallout so im not sure why people still living elsewhere would be some world shattering thing to learn

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Boy, the sword sure does trivialise the final boss of Dusk's episode 1. :stare:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Lemon-Lime posted:

Boy, the sword sure does trivialise the final boss of Dusk's episode 1. :stare:

Trivializes all of them, tbh.

Not that any of them were very hard to begin with.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

site posted:

People survived all over the us in fallout so im not sure why people still living elsewhere would be some world shattering thing to learn

With every game it becomes harder to figure out why nobody has cleaned up trash in 200 years

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

haveblue posted:

Was theorycrafting this with Goons in a Discord recently. You can have remnants of the US occupation forces. You could have a mode like Fallout 1 where there's a timer but it's counting down to when winter comes, which can put an urgency on things like securing resources for factions or whatever. Don't tell anyone in the 76 thread, but I like FO3 and FO4, but the one thing I miss since Bethesda got the reins is focus. I'd like a Fallout game that's one main plot with little branches you can walk out on along the way, instead of only just "Here's a world map, go at it."

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002
for me the big thing is how much of fallout is tied up with the nuclear optimism aesthetic. I don't understand how a Chinese fallout works and is still fallout, but I'm sure I'm not the first to float that notion.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If STALKER or Metro are Russian parallels to Fallout, a Chinese one can forge its own version as well. It’s in part how a culture imagines magic and survival and crisis after something unknowably horrible happens and changes climates and bodies. I’m not saying that China better make its own Fallout, just that it should be weird and different.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Someone in the Fallout thread suggested a '70's Grindhouse Fallout and I really like the idea. Or a bizarre post-apocalyptic 1920's.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
70s Grindhouse Fallout? Isnt that just Mad Max? And gently caress, i literally can't even imagine what life was like in the 1920s. Airplanes had just been invented for fucks sake.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Most of Fallout's appeal (at least now) is the retro-futurism steeped in Americana.

I'm Canadian as hell, but I need my red white and blue in the Fallout universe. Setting it anywhere else feels wrong.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Fallout is a thoroughly American title, not just for the obvious reasons (who made it in the first place) but also and mostly for the entire elevator pitch. The aesthetics and themes are parodies of American society and culture. You couldn't transpose that anywhere else. Fallout in China would have to be built on 1950s vintage American stereotyping of the Chinese to be a real Fallout title, and I think nobody would want that in a game for the 2020s. It's better to think of the rest of the world in Fallout as being like the painted backdrop of a theater stage: it's supposed to exist in the setting, but it doesn't actually, it's irrelevant to the story and will never be visited, it's just somewhere in the background so as to pretend that yes, there are things over there too.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 18, 2018

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

doctorfrog posted:

If STALKER or Metro are Russian parallels to Fallout, a Chinese one can forge its own version as well. It’s in part how a culture imagines magic and survival and crisis after something unknowably horrible happens and changes climates and bodies. I’m not saying that China better make its own Fallout, just that it should be weird and different.

I agree that Fallout is a very distinctly American story and aesthetic. It’s not that you can’t have a story about nuclear post-apocalypse with a bit of irreverence, but if it were in another culture it would definitely not be Fallout. Metro has that very particular and extreme Russian bleakness and that’s what makes it great; you can’t set that in the US and get the same impact.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 18, 2018

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I guess I could see Great War tech that had been pushed to be world-ending enough to create an apocalypse to be all posty about. Basically, the tech stops developing, but gets bigger and more horrible, then everyone dies. So like giant self-sustaining clouds of mustard gas and enormous, dormant superhowitzers, measlemutants, whatever.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Stalker is Ukrainian game and it’s 100% about Ukrainian social tensions (i mean come on, why not choose between neofascist ex USSR militarists “Duty” and anarchic weirdo pioneers of “Freedom”). It’s bleak because it’s post Soviet not because it’s Russian

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah excuse me, I was mixing up Metro and Stalker.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

70s Grindhouse Fallout? Isnt that just Mad Max? And gently caress, i literally can't even imagine what life was like in the 1920s. Airplanes had just been invented for fucks sake.

Well, technically, but when I heard that I thought more Zardoz.

doctorfrog posted:

I guess I could see Great War tech that had been pushed to be world-ending enough to create an apocalypse to be all posty about. Basically, the tech stops developing, but gets bigger and more horrible, then everyone dies. So like giant self-sustaining clouds of mustard gas and enormous, dormant superhowitzers, measlemutants, whatever.

Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

doctorfrog posted:

I'd like to hear more of your ideas regarding this hypothetical game that will never and can never exist. That already sounds awesome.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It’s like if Wolfenstein TNO took place in 1919, sounds like.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
There's an old shooter set in a universe where WW1 didn't end and just kept going for decades, I don't remember it's name though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

It’s like if Wolfenstein TNO took place in 1919, sounds like.

There is an extremely bad FPS game I cant remember the name of based on the idea WW1 lasts into the 1940s and how that plays out.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

There's an old shooter set in a universe where WW1 didn't end and just kept going for decades, I don't remember it's name though.

Iron Storm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8768Dak7WCA

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

That concept was wasted on that game

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Roomscale doom classic just got released, for fellow VR-Havers

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamVR/comments/a72v03/classic_doom_vr_now_with_room_scale_movement_and/?st=JPUJSBDJ&sh=8f019fa0

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
This is now all over the place from nothing but all the articles written about it game out a couple of hours ago.

Guy ran through most of the textures in doom through Nvidia Gameworks Super-Resolution which uses a neural net AI that works to figure out what the "original", larger image would be based on the "thumbnails" provided.

Basically, guy told an AI that the doom textures are thumbnails and try to figure out what the image looked like, say, 8x as big. Then he took the results and shrunk them back down to Doom texture size. The difference is... very non-pixely.

I find it interesting because the AI is not asked to make the textures look more dingy or more hellish but just to figure out what it thinks it would look like if id's artist team replaced their resources with the computing power of today.

Lots of people on the doomworld forums are saying the lack of pixels makes the games lose the original feeling/theme but lots of the models the AI created almost look like the original sculpts.

https://i.imgur.com/kfcAVEZ.jpg - close up of an archvile and a zombie.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Didn't like it, looks like the filters you put on a snes emulator but maybe I'm biased from playing with the pixelated art so long.
I believe they said they hand touched up the art after putting it through the neural net so it's not all computer driven.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Definitely looks much better than what stuff like GZDoom does (I still use ZDoom for vanilla/mods that can use it because I can get that pixellated look without a lot of fuss). Curious to see what it'd do to stuff like old Final Fantasy sprites. I'm so turned off by when Square does that "smoothing" like they did with the Steam version of FF6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Flannelette posted:

Didn't like it, looks like the filters you put on a snes emulator but maybe I'm biased from playing with the pixelated art so long.
I believe they said they hand touched up the art after putting it through the neural net so it's not all computer driven.

thats really anything dealing with transparencies.

but the nn did take an artifacty image to the end zone, just had to get help to spike it in the end.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 19, 2018