Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Remember the Cartoon All Stars video that taught us to hate and shame drug addicts? And how the Chipmunks could identify street drugs on sight?

The 90s owned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1woiiOxpJ4M

lol if you didn't grow up with this. (Sorry to my fellow 80s kids for reminding you of this earworm)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

it's me, i'm the guy who's very angry at that extremely real and earnest fortnite anti-vaping poster

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

sandoz posted:

it's me, i'm the guy who's very angry at that extremely real and earnest fortnite anti-vaping poster

Oh hey, on that note

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Randaconda posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1woiiOxpJ4M

lol if you didn't grow up with this. (Sorry to my fellow 80s kids for reminding you of this earworm)

Also, "I'm not a chicken, you're a turkey!"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

nexus6 posted:

Isn't that just the modern equivalent of Superman telling you not to do drugs or Sonic the Hedgehog telling you to report molesters?

Superman and Sonic are characters at least. You know they are the good guys. Default skin guy from Fortnite is a non-entity, you can play as him, or your enemy, he doesn't have any morals, he just shoots everyone and takes their poo poo.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Remember when Arnold and Willis had a run in with a molester? :smithcloud:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Paladinus posted:

Superman and Sonic are characters at least. You know they are the good guys. Default skin guy from Fortnite is a non-entity, you can play as him, or your enemy, he doesn't have any morals, he just shoots everyone and takes their poo poo.

a modern american superman!

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

holy poo poo i didn't notice that last time i saw that gif

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013

Sneaky and groovy

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

Bread Liar

:golfclap:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

lol

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
It's kind of strange how now young nerds seem more likely to be enraged at diversity and social commentary in media now than in the 80s and 90s and earlier, given how much more awkward and transparent it was then.

I'm sure some people were mad about Black Vulcan, Apache Chief, Samurai, and El Dorado joining the Super Friends, but I don't think anyone was subscribing to white supremacists over it.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 21:07 on Dec 18, 2018

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Dr Christmas posted:

It's kind of strange how now young nerds seem more likely to be enraged at diversity and social commentary in media now than in the 80s and 90s and earlier, given how much more awkward and transparent it was then.

I'm sure some people were mad about Black Vulcan, Apache Chief, Samurai, and El Dorado joining the Super Friends, but I don't think anyone was subscribing to white supremacists over it.

They also didn't have thousands of white supremacist groups on social media bombarding them with white supremacist propganda 24/7 back then.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRmKzxhMzwo

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

Bread Liar

Who What Now posted:

They also didn't have thousands of white supremacist groups on social media bombarding them with white supremacist propganda 24/7 back then.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Who What Now posted:

Yep. The internet has radicalized young white men. No one got annoyed with awkward diversity pushes until racist video game streamers started screaming about how it's actually the white holocaust.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

People that hate a thing talk about it way more than people that don't. news at 11.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

Yep. The internet has radicalized young white men. No one got annoyed with awkward diversity pushes until racist video game streamers started screaming about how it's actually the white holocaust.

There's probably also some crossover with the economy. Teens in the 80s and 90s weren't hit quite as bad with increasing college costs and stagnant wages, and could still believe that they could work hard and get a decent career, a house, and two and a half kids. While that may not actually be true, it was still what we were told, and things weren't as bad as they are for people coming of age now.

And with things imploding, those same racists (and rich people, and those supported by rich people) are passing the blame onto minorities and other disadvantaged types.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

How much of a factor is it that today's kids are being raised by the generation of kids who were raised on diversity TV?

They (we) just sort of rolled our eyes at it at the time, but it left enough of them with such a bad festering taste in their mouths that they then decided to pass on their seething resentment to their kids.

Or is the time scale between those generational waves too short?

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

Bread Liar

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

This straight up. 10 years ago you had to go to Stormfront or some other seedy white power forum to get these racist ideas shoved in your face. Now all of the major platforms are allowing them as "valuable discussion" and the modern Republican party can't even be bothered to disavow racists anymore.

When you can just hang out on "conservative" parts of reddit and get all sorts of gross hate memes, then it feels a lot safer for an angsty 16 year old GAMER than venturing into the straight white power forums.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I don't know why but I had this stupid idea today

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

This was annoying me, so I fixed it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Samuringa posted:

I don't know why but I had this stupid idea today

Not again, ManMan!

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Mään mään

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

mother fucker

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Oi you cheeky little poo poo

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

:gas:

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

A dadly aura :angel:

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

What percentage of young white men is even radicalized to the degree we're talking about? I think there's actually fewer racists (although not by a huge margin) but the ones that are here have a huge platform now.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Hellblazer187 posted:

What percentage of young white men is even radicalized to the degree we're talking about? I think there's actually fewer racists (although not by a huge margin) but the ones that are here have a huge platform now.

Did you just wake up from a 4-year coma?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Typical olds on here not understanding and fearing youth culture :rolleyes:

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Hellblazer187 posted:

Probably numerically less racists overall. White population shrinking makes this likely regardless of attitude changes. Existing racists are getting more extreme, and more open. Kids who 30 years ago would've been just standard dog whistle assholes are increasingly likely to go fash.

It's the other side of the coin to the internet's enabling of small underserved communities. Trans, non-binary, etc folks and such can go out and find other people like themselves, feel less alone and have a community, even if they live in a hostile environment.

But so can Nazis.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I'm sure I've written this exact sentiment before or someone else has, but I love how eerily prescient SA's "The internet makes you stupid" tagline turned out to be

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Samuringa posted:

Did you just wake up from a 4-year coma?

I stopped living in the US like six years ago so there's a strong possibility my comment is simply wishful thinking enabled by distance. At the same time it seems impossible that all young white men are as garbage as the loudest internet Nazis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

way to throw it back to the old school 8/10 meme