Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mameluke posted:

Just as millenial priority #1 should be destroying as many backhoes and front end loaders as possible before they boil

remember: eco terrorism is self defense

that isn't sarcasm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
FernGully was if anything too optimistic

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

infernal machines posted:

FernGully was if anything too optimistic

just wait until the election after next when we get prime minister chud mchitler

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
for anyone who doesn't know, here's how suburban development works:

a developer buys a big plot of land just outside the city and says "I want to make new houses here"

the city says "no your plan sucks and is not dense enough development and is too far away from all our services. if you build a subdivison there, it will cost us more money to maintain the services for that neighbourhood than we will earn back in tax revenue"

the developer whines and cries

the developer runs an aggressive propaganda campaign for a new city council by painting the current city council as anti-development and supporting the campaigns of pro-development city councillors who will approve their planned development, as well as advertising just how many new single-family homes will be available for the population of the city to buy at low prices if their development gets approved

the new councillors win because they had massive financial support for their campaigns and the electorate wants cheap houses that are a 30+ minute drive from anywhere worth going to

the new city council immediately approves the new development

the developers build their subdivision

the city expands services to cover the new subdivision because if they don't then nimby middle-class people who moved there will whine and cry about how the police didn't come fast enough when they spotted a black person walking down the street, and they don't want their kids to have to take the bus to an inner-city school

the city spends more money maintaining those new services than the subdivision brings in in tax revenue

the developer buys a new plot of land further out into the country

rinse and repeat

eventually this ponzi scheme collapses, either because the housing market collapses or the city goes bankrupt or the government intervenes to prevent this from happening forever by doing something like restricting development on a specific area of land outside city limits, let's call that something hypothetical like a "green belt"

then the developers lobby for a new government that will get rid of those restrictions, so they can keep doing their slash-and-burn real estate development and loving over cities for generations to come

vyelkin has issued a correction as of 17:51 on Dec 16, 2018

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
also as a fun side effect the lovely suburbs created through this process then become hotbeds of conservatism, ensuring this keeps happening forever

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
there's also the densification targets for municipalities as part of their long term development plans, imposed of course by the provincial government, to help combat sprawl and prevent the developers from doing as vyelkin described.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Yinlock posted:

that isn't sarcasm

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Yinlock posted:

that isn't sarcasm

yinlock i do appreciate your slide into radicalism from an entertainment standpoint but if you keep going at this rate in 2019 you'll get arrested for trying to blow up a harveys

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

:kiddo:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

What? Like Harper?

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
:siren:GET THE gently caress TO THE UNIST'OT'EN NOW CAMP IF YOU CAN!:siren:
https://twitter.com/lupinewood/status/1074424740046094336
https://twitter.com/lupinewood/status/1074424851878825985
https://twitter.com/lupinewood/status/1074425102496874496

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

vyelkin posted:

eventually this ponzi scheme collapses, either because the housing market collapses or the city goes bankrupt or the government intervenes to prevent this from happening forever by doing something like restricting development on a specific area of land outside city limits, let's call that something hypothetical like a "green belt"

then the developers lobby for a new government that will get rid of those restrictions, so they can keep doing their slash-and-burn real estate development and loving over cities for generations to come

the fact that the rich managed to rename bribery as "lobbying" and everyone accepted that is one of their major accomplishments

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
woooo viva canadian yellow vests

https://twitter.com/mbueckert/status/1074092039283851265

https://twitter.com/mbueckert/status/1074420521859801088

https://twitter.com/mbueckert/status/1074682382513512448

what happened
Dec 2, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

Several Chinese automakers planning to expand production into Canada have put their plans on hold over the Vancouver arrest of Chinese telecom giant Huawei's CFO, says Flavio Volpe, president of the Automotive Parts Manufacturers' Association.

"Those companies are saying, 'Look, while we're still interested of course, North America is a target market for our goods ... right now, we're going to put this on pause,'" Volpe told CBC News.

Volpe said that over the last several months, the APMA has hosted delegations from two major Chinese automakers and was planning on hosting another firm next month. Volpe would not identify the companies by name.

Meng Wanzhou was arrested in Vancouver earlier this month under an extradition request from the United States.

American prosecutors allege Meng deceived financial institutions into dealing in dirty money through an arrangement which saw Huawei and another company called Skycom doing business in Iran, in contravention of U.S. sanctions against the Islamic republic.

Volpe said the arrest has put a chill on the Chinese firms' expansion plans in Canada.

"They've explicitly brought that up, and have changed the discussion to, instead of the immediate term, they're talking about, 'Well ... let's settle the uncertainty first and we might be a couple years out,'" he said.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/volpe-china-car-produciton-halted-1.4949824

oh well I guess we better let her go then

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Q's presence in canada is not as marginal as you think *shows pictures of either 5 guys on the side of the road or a couple Q idiots inside a big group*

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
at least a third of my town is down with Q, apparently.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
France, populist uprising
Briton, populist referendum
America, .... trump

Theres a storm a comin'. its comin around the bend
i aint seen qanon post since i don't know when

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Eox posted:

at least a third of my town is down with Q, apparently.

that guy sure cares a lot about Are Sovereignty

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/mbueckert/status/1074741244667064323

also lol it's a grift

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It’s always a grift. Strike while the iron is hot!

I regret not being more ethically flexible about this kind of thing.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It’s always a grift. Strike while the iron is hot!

I regret not being more ethically flexible about this kind of thing.

tbf if the money wasn't being put towards making everyone else suffer i would approve of it

making chuds broke is performing a public service

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/juggysihota/status/1074130436622700544

life is grand in america jr

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
so glad trudeau is doing the right thing and gifting some more billions to the hurting albertan oil industry just in time for xmas. the carbon tax was totally not a scam at all

crispyseaweed
Sep 21, 2008
https://twitter.com/l_stone/status/1075062209980628992

open for business!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/MichelleRempel/status/1075056728985591808

DEBATE ME YOU COWARD

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

It's funny because her block list on twitter must number in the 1000s

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Oh god, please don't ruin black

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

xtal posted:

Oh god, please don't ruin black

I have some news to you about the historical connections between fascism and the colour black.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

uh manitobas health minister thinks legalizing pot led to the meth crisis, cool, awesome, this government is a well-oiled machine and a wealth of well-researched facts and knowledge

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

How does time work in Manitoba?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Ahahaha what the gently caress

The crisis that has been ongoing and worsening for some time is due to a law that was passed 60 days ago

This absolutely does not strain credulity

e: should have said, come in to effect 60 days ago

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 03:52 on Dec 19, 2018

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Ahahaha what the gently caress

The crisis that has been ongoing and worsening for some time is due to a law that was passed 60 days ago

This absolutely does not strain credulity

the legalization was passed into law last year and took a while to come into effect

clearly what happened is that when parliament passed marijuana legalization, all the decent, hard working manitobans who look to Ottawa to provide their moral and spiritual center gave into despair and turned to meth for comfort

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

the premier was in Brandon yesterday to announce around 500k of funding for various crime things. nothing to deal with meth, not even like money to police to buy extra heavy duty billy clubs to beat up dealers or anything. they just dont care, they are just going to let people die

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

no politician in this country has a spine

https://twitter.com/stevenchase/status/1075198417083625472?s=21

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

at what point does someone tell him that SA does not produce the same oil products as canada?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

infernal machines posted:

at what point does someone tell him that SA does not produce the same oil products as canada?

shh, you’ll ruin it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

boy is he in for a surprise when he gets elected PM!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

A game I play with Manitoba newspapers is to turn to the "On this day" section and guess whether it'll be 10 years ago, 20 years ago, &c that will note the "rising drug problem." It's almost always there.

By my calculations from that data, the drug problem has risen to 11,000.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

CommonShore posted:

A game I play with Manitoba newspapers is to turn to the "On this day" section and guess whether it'll be 10 years ago, 20 years ago, &c that will note the "rising drug problem." It's almost always there.

Same but "Red River Floods"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lisa "live in poverty" macleod getting spicy

https://twitter.com/MacLeodLisa/status/1074999602250739713