Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

So if Xenoblade 3 had a plot the calibre of 1, with the final patched gameplay of 2 minus the Gacha and the Anime overdose, would it be good?

Making basic-fetch quests more tolerable having gone through Skyrim, Xenoblade, Fallout etc.:
  • Being able to pick up a desired item before the quest-giver even asks for it.
  • Give a close-estimate to where the monster actually spawns on this oversized map.
  • Give you the Quest Failed message from New Vegas when you progress too far down the main-plot.
  • Having the desired monster-drop occur 100% and not invite needless save-scumming. (Curse you Xenoblade)
  • Being able to kill the roaming Bounty before you read about it on a message board.
  • Not gating challenges in an arbitrary order and actually track your progress retroactively. (gently caress you Arkham Origins)
  • If the quest-giver randomly dies and you have unfinished business with them, then Biff from Baldur's Gate will take their place.
  • Maybe reward you with those cheesecake cards from Witcher 1? The artwork on those things was pretty good, maybe through in some dudes for an equal audience.

It's funny that you think Xenoblade 1's plot caliber wasn't directly tied to it also being anime-as-hell.

Really Pants posted:

nobody knows how to have anime without horny anymore

Mob Psycho 100?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's funny that you think Xenoblade 1's plot caliber wasn't directly tied to it also being anime-as-hell.

Mob Psycho 100?

just lol if you aren't horny as hell for reigen arataka

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Neptunia is standard softcore anime trash, Fairy Fencer is generic slightly less trash, the two monster games look to be even more trash, Hakuoki is a completely unrelated otome VN series and are supposedly a decent example if that's what you're into, and Dark Rose Valkyrie is complete and utter trash and literally involved a casting couch and should not be bought under any circumstances for any amount of money.

Hope that helps!

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I've talked a lot in the past about the localization, but yeah I don't understand basically any Japanese and even I could tell things weren't matching up between the Japanese audio and English subtitles. There's one reaaally really weird scene where Poppy is programmed to act like a dog and bark and stuff and a couple people complained about it, but then someone in the thread said that in Japanese the original dialogue was completely different, nothing about a dog. Some of the structural issues the game has makes me think the problems aren't entirely localization-invented though. Like specifically how at the end of the game there are cutscenes featuring Torna members immediately before or after they die to try and make them more dramatic. One of them has been basically obsessed with killing and a psychopath all game, then suddenly as he dies he's like "no I really loved my sister!" and then play a cutscene with his backstory, like gently caress off game it's too late to pull this.

I skipped almost all the final cutscenes because at that point I was just so disinterested, but I think most of that stems form all the over-amped drama. A lot of the side stuff I was actually pretty interested in and it definitely felt like the main story and side content were made by two different teams. A great example of this is how you have this big dramatic fight between Morag and Rex where the party defeats her by dumping the big water tower on her, and then immediately after that there's a ton of NPCs who are like "hey does anyone know who broke that water tower? We need that for farming" and that was a pretty funny follow-up to that scene

A lot of the changes made to Poppy scenes are there to tone down the skeeviness, btw, especially since one of the forms is specifically a primary school girl.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I did say anime overdose. My handle and avatar is from a manga, I'm not a complete snob.

Xenoblade 1 was perfectly fine. Xenoblade 2 has all this embarrassing poo poo like the on-the-surface shonen protagonist, the greater emphasis on fanservice, and the polygamy ending.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 19, 2018

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nick Buntline posted:

Dark Rose Valkyrie is complete and utter trash and literally involved a casting couch

Uh oh

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the greatest of anime's crimes, inventing polygamy

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Is it really polygamy if they're both technically the same person?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
you're supposed to say "harem route" when you're decrying it as too anime

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Almost every negative review on Amazon.co.jp drips with hatred for the voice actress who slept her way into the game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Xenoblade 2 has all this embarrassing poo poo like the on-the-surface shonen protagonist, the greater emphasis on fanservice, and the polygamy ending.

sold

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

I did say anime overdose. My handle and avatar is from a manga, I'm not a complete snob.

Xenoblade 1 was perfectly fine. Xenoblade 2 has all this embarrassing poo poo like the on-the-surface shonen protagonist, the greater emphasis on fanservice, and the polygamy ending.

Ah yes the embarrassing shonen protagonist, something that didn’t happen in one.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Getsuya posted:

Almost every negative review on Amazon.co.jp drips with hatred for the voice actress who slept her way into the game.

Oh, right, that whole can of worms.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the second xeno game ever made introduced a space robot girl who was also mary magdalene as a central character

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Baby if you can't handle me at my prolygamy you don't deserve me at my pro game-ye

-notice, this poster is making a joke and has never played xenoblade 2, she does not know if its a pro game-ye

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Getsuya posted:

the odds that gamers are just making that poo poo up are approx. 5,000,000% ± 0.00001%

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

CharlestheHammer posted:

Ah yes the embarrassing shonen protagonist, something that didn’t happen in one.

No, you see, he has a British accent.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Caphi posted:

No, you see, he has a British accent.

So does Rex, and the non-blade cast of 2.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Really Pants posted:

the odds that gamers are just making that poo poo up are approx. 5,000,000% ± 0.00001%

no kosuke fujishima legit has a child bride who he met when she was 17 and entered into a relationship with a year later and got her a role on dark rose valkyrie

it's a loving weird and insane thing that actually happened. also the guy got himself into legal trouble with both her and his ex-wife texting them on a loving plane flight

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

speaking of which i just finished Persona 4 and that game has a lot more tropey fanservicey shonen stuff than i was expecting given how much of a wider audience that series found and how many people fret over such things

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Not surprised that gamers boiled that down to "she slept with the director to get the part" though

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tales of Woe posted:

speaking of which i just finished Persona 4 and that game has a lot more tropey fanservicey shonen stuff than i was expecting given how much of a wider audience that series found and how many people fret over such things

persona 4 is a really gross game that people give a pass thanks to its presentation and a general lack of social awareness of the stuff it's really gross about back in 2008

it's a really blatantly awful game now and i feel like almost all of the writing in it is pretty much indefensible

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tales of Woe posted:

The flowchart is

Is it anime? If no, don't call it anime. If yes:

Did I like it? If yes, don't call it anime. If no, call it anime.

The Colonel posted:

persona 4 is a really gross game that people give a pass thanks to its presentation and a general lack of social awareness of the stuff it's really gross about back in 2008

it's a really blatantly awful game now and i feel like almost all of the writing in it is pretty much indefensible

I replayed it a bit after P5 came out and I wouldn't be quite as harsh but yeah it basically wasn't good. I don't think I'd recommend it to anybody in 2018 or even call it a good game anymore.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Also her voice acting, which she had no experience in, was very bad. So bad they patched in an option to mute her character's voice.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The Colonel posted:

the second xeno game ever made introduced a space robot girl who was also mary magdalene as a central character

Always going to love Xenosaga.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

P4: Remember to be true to yourself, so long as you behave within conservative norms of this country.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Decrying shonen protagonists while defending Shulk: :thunk:

I can only assume you never used female party members if you think 1 didn't go heavy on fanservice. Just because some female party members weren't forced to wear stripper outfits doesn't mean that they lacked the opportunity to do so.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
I enjoyed what I played of Fairy Fencer more than what I've played of Nep, I guess, though I haven't played the newer version. It seemed basically fine

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Rebellion is cool, but not too much now!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I bought Fairy Fencer ADF when it went down to $4 after a rec from Endorph in the general chat thread. I'll try it out after I finish Atelier Arland, VC4, and whatever other games come out/I decide to play in the meantime

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the whole pageant scene in persona 4 where the joke is that yosuke and kanji are forced to crossdress and how weird and wacky that is and also a gag about how hanako is fat and ugly for the billionth time is one of the single worst, least funny scenes in any jrpg ever written

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The Colonel posted:

the whole pageant scene in persona 4 where the joke is that yosuke and kanji are forced to crossdress and how weird and wacky that is and also a gag about how hanako is fat and ugly for the billionth time is one of the single worst, least funny scenes in any jrpg ever written

In my experience, even P4 fans such as myself detest every scene with Hanako as well as Kashiwagi. The latter is just mystifying to most people because she's not in any way unattractive. Add in the fact she had the voice of Mary-Elizabeth McGlynn and I think most people would have romanced her just like they did Kawakami.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

cheetah7071 posted:

I replayed it a bit after P5 came out and I wouldn't be quite as harsh but yeah it basically wasn't good. I don't think I'd recommend it to anybody in 2018 or even call it a good game anymore.

Nah, it's still good

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

cheetah7071 posted:

Not surprised that gamers boiled that down to "she slept with the director to get the part" though

Yeah, I want to be clear that's not what I meant at all. Fujishima is a creep who literally used his position on the game to get the girl he had been grooming to sleep with him, and that's entirely on him. He's a fucker, and anything he's involved in now is garbage as far as I'm concerned.

Fun(?) fact: the announcement that they were A) together, B) getting married, and C) she was pregnant came all at once two weeks before the game's release, for reasons I am sure are all perfectly reasonable and not at all related to how hosed up the whole thing is.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Being able to make my character the Major in XCX is probably one of the bigger reasons I like it, honestly.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Tae posted:

Nah, it's still good

Nah 4 is really bad.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I have decided to never replay Persona 3 so my memories of it being good remain unsullied

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

cheetah7071 posted:

I have decided to never replay Persona 3 so my memories of it being good remain unsullied

persona 3 is pretty good if you play p3p and pick femc

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Colonel posted:

well, have you played persona 5 yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i didn't know who kosuke fujishima was until i looked it up and he once wrote a manga called you're under arrest. it's older than his wife