Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Docjowles posted:

We have a perfectly nice office on Hudson St in Manhattan, but my teammate in Queens still works remote like 4 days a week :unsmith: He says there's some fuckery with the trains and his commute is now way over an hour in one direction, so fair enough imo. I'm in Boston so I don't know a drat thing about the MTA. I just nod sagely and lol to myself as New Yorkers keep yelling at me that they have the greatest subway on earth but also it literally can't get them to their jobs.

My actual point is that there are at least some remote-friendly jobs available in NYC, though.

At least in boston we just scream the MBTA is hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Just looked into Veriato for some competitive analysis and holy poo poo how is this a thing that is allowed? If I knew my employer was using this I'd be out so fast

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Super Slash posted:

So one of the infosec guys came in this morning;

:v: "So I imagine you've been doing a lot of firefighting lately with the big problems in the other sites"
:geno: "Well it's started to calm down a bit, there's a lot less fire to fight when everything's burned to the ground"

lol

:vince: Haha god drat. I am definitely stealing this.

Kashuno posted:

At least in boston we just scream the MBTA is hell

Yes, exactly. Our transit sucks too but we don’t go around telling everyone that it is actually good despite all evidence to the contrary.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Super Slash posted:

So one of the infosec guys came in this morning;

:v: "So I imagine you've been doing a lot of firefighting lately with the big problems in the other sites"
:geno: "Well it's started to calm down a bit, there's a lot less fire to fight when everything's burned to the ground"

lol

It's that genuine ability to see the positive in everything that is a hellfire garbage pit that makes me love infosec so much.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

Vulture Culture posted:

They need to fake it to themselves, because they'll never admit that your slow rear end taking an hour to fix their broken computer might have also kept them from making a dozen awful, losing trades.

"Chad I've seen you trade, just consider me your stop loss right now."

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I could not imagine working for any kind of floor trading company. That's gotta be above healthcare as the worst IT gig you can get.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Confirmed: floor traders are very very bad to support. Never again.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I’ve got an offer I’ve emailed the it guy and was like I need firm plans of a ticketing system implementation and assurances that this shady rear end subsidiary I found out about is either gone or changed. Anyone got tips for squeezing a counter offer out of your current employer?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Did you go into the whole thing wanting this to just be leverage for your current employer? The advice that comes up quite a lot in here is not to take a counter-offer, or at least have a firm plan for moving within the next six months regardless.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

just got an offer :yotj:

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Just talked with a trusted co worker who told me that trying to press them will result in :byewhore: 9 times outta 10. gently caress this just got harder.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

LionYeti posted:

Just talked with a trusted co worker who told me that trying to press them will result in :byewhore: 9 times outta 10. gently caress this just got harder.

Just remember, this is how they feel about employees. They're not willing to work with you, they're not willing to meet you halfway.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Ey, I just checked the OP and didn't see it - I seem to remember that there might be a slack channel for goonie goons. Is there? Holidays at work are so slow.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Awful CompSloth posted:

So the difference be green help desk support and desktop support is usually that help desk is over the phone and you're either talking them through it or remotely fixing it on their pc, and with desktop support you're manually fixing or upgrading physical computers right? I've seen people say they're sort of the same thing with different titles though. I'd definitely like to something more like what desktop support seems to be, but I don't know if a company would want me to start as a help desk jockey when I first start, what have you guys experienced with this stuff.

Many companies have either helpdesk or desktop support as entry level jobs with no prior experience required. Other companies only hire people with experience for one or both of these roles, and you have a lot more options once you have a year or two of experience.

Thanks Ants posted:

You can always just leave if it's poo poo

This is an optimistic view at best. Most people are not financially secure enough to quit working and look for a new job. A lot can happen in two weeks. Many job offers fall through before you can start. Even when leaving a job on good terms it can close that door at many companies It is hard to accept a $10k(or more) pay cut once you are accustomed to it. . Not everyone lives in an area with better job opportunities than they already have, or the ability to move for a new job.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The university I work for is hiring a permanent director position which handles research and grad classes. For some reason IT also reports to this person. They have been interviewing for a permanent person to fill this position. Today I got to set in with a Q&A session with the current interim director with whom I've had issues in the past with over the summer (you can search my post history for the full details).

My coworker posed a question about how IT will be organized if the current interim director gets the full position. To our surprise (and horror) she replied with "we are discussing doing a joint management situation where you will report to central IT but also are directed by my position. This will let us leverage their resources to follow up service requests for your group and allow you access to their resources." We immediately expressed to her that we are definitely against this arrangement and it will be terrible for our customers. Currently we are attached directly to our college department and do not report to central IT. If we are assigned to central IT it will be used as a pretext to get wholly absorbed into that group. My coworker specifically took this job to get out of the central IT umbrella and vehemently expressed that he did not want this arrangement.

This really pissed me off because NONE of the IT members in our department were informed. Not even our manager (the IT Manager for the college) was aware of this. I texted him with this new information and he was like "we will all discuss this after the winter break, I am totally unaware of this and we need to stop it." Not only that but this reveal was done publicly during an INTERVIEW PANEL Q&A!

The word I'm hearing around the office is that the hiring committee actively does not want to hire this interim director due to her unpopularity among the staff, but the dean of the college may decide to hire her anyway. Staff will be allowed to voice their concerns to the interview committee anonymously and I've been encouraged to do this by the chair of the interview committee. I'm not worried about reprisal because I'm a perm state employee, but I want to make it known that I and the other IT members do not want our current arrangement to change.

Essentially we are stuck under a potential director who does not value IT support very much and does not assist or involve themselves without our department. We're trying to get reassigned under another director who actually makes budgetary decisions on IT expenditures, but this is academia so nothing makes any sense at all. The current director mentioned that this could help improve our quality of service, but honestly every person we have talked to, top to bottom, has raved about how much better the team performs in comparison to the previous IT techs who retired last year. Not only that, but we already have EVERY resource available to us that central IT does. This is basically a director being apathetic to our IT team and the central IT group trying to absorb even more technicians under them.

Unfortunately we're going to have to do some office politics to try and avoid the worst case scenario. Chances are the interim director will not be hired to the permanent position, but if she is, we're going to have to do what we have to in order to protect our autonomy. Sorry for the long post but the way this situation is being handled irks the gently caress out of me.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Vargatron posted:

I could not imagine working for any kind of floor trading company. That's gotta be above healthcare as the worst IT gig you can get.

yes it is. I managed two teams; My IT team, 7 people and the DBA team of 5.

We weren't even a trading floor, just a grey-box firm with several traders. 50 people in total. Over the 3 years I was there, we had just over a 400% turnover rate.

Your work week was 90-100 hours long. I used to tell people this was a 95 hour a week job, and they'd say they could handle it. Unless you've really worked that, and know you can do it... you probably can't. It's loving brutal. I had multiple occasions where we'd be in the office for up to 70 hours straight. We had a contract with a hotel down the road so people could go shower/crash and come back. Our "normal" hours of operation were Mon-Sat 4:30am-7pm. There was almost always work scheduled to be done on Sundays for my team. Getting a call or email just after you got home was so commonplace it wasn't funny.

After a 37 hour straight issue because the markets or something, I was sitting at my desk, my vision blurred, chest started to hurt... I thought I was having a heart attack. I called my (now) ex-wife and apologized for never being around and I was rushed to the hospital. I had a panic attack. Once my boss heard I had a panic attack and not a heart attack, he sent one of my guys over with a laptop so I could "get a little work done".

I quit the next day. I told my boss "I quit" and he just looked at me and said "No, you don't".

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

DigitalMocking posted:

We weren't even a trading floor, just a grey-box firm with several traders. 50 people in total. Over the 3 years I was there, we had just over a 400% turnover rate.

Your work week was 90-100 hours long. I used to tell people this was a 95 hour a week job, and they'd say they could handle it. Unless you've really worked that, and know you can do it... you probably can't. It's loving brutal. I had multiple occasions where we'd be in the office for up to 70 hours straight. We had a contract with a hotel down the road so people could go shower/crash and come back. Our "normal" hours of operation were Mon-Sat 4:30am-7pm. There was almost always work scheduled to be done on Sundays for my team. Getting a call or email just after you got home was so commonplace it wasn't funny.

After a 37 hour straight issue because the markets or something, I was sitting at my desk, my vision blurred, chest started to hurt... I thought I was having a heart attack. I called my (now) ex-wife and apologized for never being around and I was rushed to the hospital. I had a panic attack. Once my boss heard I had a panic attack and not a heart attack, he sent one of my guys over with a laptop so I could "get a little work done".

I quit the next day. I told my boss "I quit" and he just looked at me and said "No, you don't".

What did an actual day look like? What kind projects, tickets and what else came at you?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Tab8715 posted:

What did an actual day look like? What kind projects, tickets and what else came at you?

You’re gonna make him relapse!

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

DigitalMocking posted:

Your work week was 90-100 hours long. I used to tell people this was a 95 hour a week job, and they'd say they could handle it. Unless you've really worked that, and know you can do it... you probably can't. It's loving brutal.

Yeah... Someone tells me there job is 95 hours a week, I say no thanks and continue in my search. :wtc:

Going to assume you were obviously salary during all of this

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

DigitalMocking posted:

:wtc:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

DigitalMocking posted:

This is it. The most hosed up post in the thread

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sounds like you were understaffed by a factor of about 2.5. How did that company even operate?

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
At a huge profit.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Was the pay/bonus situation at least equally insane? No amount of money is worth that environment, imo. But unless they were offering like 200k base and a 5x bonus I don't understand how you even got people in the door to interview.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Docjowles posted:

Was the pay/bonus situation at least equally insane? No amount of money is worth that environment, imo. But unless they were offering like 200k base and a 5x bonus I don't understand how you even got people in the door to interview.

Someone telling me I need to be in the office for 14 hours every day would be laughed out of my presence. Someone that needs you to work those kind of hours needs you a hell of a lot more than you need them. Any talk of the contrary is idiotic.

If you did all that without some kind of insane compensation, that makes you a gigantic loving idiot. You wasted too much of your life to make someone else wealthy.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Docjowles posted:

Yeah you'd never get me to work there for less than 300k. More if I had to be management.

Who am I kidding, I'd never take a job when the interviewer straight up told me it was a 95 hour per week job. Hell no

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Asking for 300k in those kinds of environments won't even get you looked at weird. Their recruiters will probably use that number to open their intro emails. I've seen fintech SRE positions up to $600k recently.

e: there are sane environments like Two Sigma that pay just as well though, so still gently caress those people

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 19, 2018

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Those prop firms pay a gently caress ton. I interviewed at two sigma for a 400k job. Didnt get it though. A few high level guys just left my place to go to Jane Street

I think I would need a million to work 95 hours a week. That's so taxing on a person and their circle

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Vulture Culture posted:

Asking for 300k in those kinds of environments won't even get you looked at weird. Their recruiters will probably use that number to open their intro emails. I've seen fintech SRE positions up to $600k recently.

e: there are sane environments like Two Sigma that pay just as well though, so still gently caress those people

Should have done the math, 300k at 95 hours per week basically means I'd be making a little less "hourly" as I am now, so HELLLL no. But I'm basically at the point where anything over 40 is a hard stop unless it's rare. My current job is 37.5 hours, and after hours work is pretty minimum, especially when I can script and schedule most of it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

TheFace posted:

Should have done the math, 300k at 95 hours per week basically means I'd be making a little less "hourly" as I am now, so HELLLL no. But I'm basically at the point where anything over 40 is a hard stop unless it's rare. My current job is 37.5 hours, and after hours work is pretty minimum, especially when I can script and schedule most of it.
It depends on your marital status and tax situation. If you're a married primary earner filing jointly, your cutoff for FICA taxes is around $129k, netting you an extra 7.65% on income earned beyond the cutoff, but the marginal federal tax rate only increases 2% between $128,700 and $315.000. Gross dollar for gross dollar, those extra hours may be worth more. If you're single, though, it's garbage, because there's only about $30k in between getting back that 7.65% and you being bumped up into an income bracket that's taxed 8% more.

I like to actually see and raise my children, though.

Sepist posted:

Those prop firms pay a gently caress ton. I interviewed at two sigma for a 400k job. Didnt get it though. A few high level guys just left my place to go to Jane Street
I interviewed with Jane Street once, close to 10 years ago. It was the only interview I've ever done that's actually stressed me out, partly because even for a systems position I was expected to be a competent developer in OCaml.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

MF_James posted:

just got an offer :yotj:

Offer accepted! :yotj: 25k raise and moving into a 100% engineering/project role :yotj:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

MF_James posted:

Offer accepted! :yotj: 25k raise and moving into a 100% engineering/project role :yotj:

That’s boat money yo.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

TheFace posted:

I went from a 50+ hour a week job to a 37.5 hour job and my stress level is night and day.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

MF_James posted:

congrats yo, getting out of support roles and into engineering / projects rules and makes working so much more enjoyable.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Vargatron posted:

I went from a 50+ hour a week job to a 37.5 hour job and my stress level is night and day.

This. Except mine was 60 hours as a single engineer dealing with an insane CEO who kept claiming he couldn’t give me a raise due to budget constraints to 35 hours a week on a team for 40k more remote.

Edit:

After I put in my two weeks the same CEO forked over 200k to a engineering firm to take over the project. “It’s a different fund” was his excuse. Knowing what I know now, I’m glad I left and I sure as gently caress would never, EVER go back.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

MF_James posted:

Hell yeah! That's fantastic.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

MF_James posted:

Congrats fam!

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

MF_James posted:

Noice!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Tell me where to find these insanely high-paying Financial Positions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

Tell me where to find these insanely high-paying Financial Positions.

Look up any high frequency trading jobs. They pay astronomical amounts of money and will cover all of your expenses, including some that do like laundry service etc. The trade off is they own you. You get time to sleep and maybe a few hours off on Sunday. Period.