Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Lord Stimperor posted:

Do you guys feel that your driving changed after getting a cam? If I see dash cam vids on YouTube, I often have the feeling that cam drivers are much more aggressive and even let accidents happen rather than, say, make room for someone who did something wrong
My driving mellowed out with age, dashcam or not. But even when driving an overpriced clunker with way too much insurance on it, I couldn't bring myself to stay the course and let some red-light-running rear end in a top hat crash into my quarter panel. As much as I regret not letting that accident happen, the instincts took over, and I violently swerved out of his way at the last second. Fucker must have been drunk or high, looked right through me with a thousand yard stare. It's easy to say "let accidents happen" until you looking at 2 tons of steel and stupidity heading in your direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Nitrox posted:

My driving mellowed out with age, dashcam or not. But even when driving an overpriced clunker with way too much insurance on it, I couldn't bring myself to stay the course and let some red-light-running rear end in a top hat crash into my quarter panel. As much as I regret not letting that accident happen, the instincts took over, and I violently swerved out of his way at the last second. Fucker must have been drunk or high, looked right through me with a thousand yard stare. It's easy to say "let accidents happen" until you looking at 2 tons of steel and stupidity heading in your direction.

I've got a really hosed up shoulder from t-boning someone at 40 in my Subaru. My car did burst into flames, which was kinda cool. But jfc, why would anyone want that purposefully. loving idiots.
To vindicate your red light runner, yesterday I was at a light in the left lane and a cop was next to me in the straight/right lane. Someone ran the light just as ours went green. I looked over at the cop, we made eye contact, he shook his head and started laughing... Then flipped all the "lol you're an idiot" switches. It was gold.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
From the gif thread:

"What a loving rear end in a top hat" indeed.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

From the gif thread:

[spike strip failure]

That escalated pretty quickly.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Catching up, so replying to older posts...

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Welcome to Dallas, worst highway system and suburban sprawl outside of Houston!

Allow me to present Exhibit A - I-35 in central Austin.

I spent 20 years in DFW (most of it driving for a living), coming up on 5 months in Austin. 35 in central sends me into an eye twitching, foaming at the mouth rage no matter what time of day it is.

The rest of the highways are a clusterfuck during rush hour too (and I'm pretty sure I'd never seen that shade of red on Google Maps before), but rush hour here is an hour and a half, maybe 2 hours... instead of 3pm-7pm. :argh:

But goddamn do I agree on the suburban sprawl... I was so used to driving 45 minutes just to get to a doctor's appointment or really do anything aside from grocery shopping (which was still a 15+ minute drive). I'm on a road that's nothing but apartments in a suburb of Austin, and I'm right at a mile away from two different grocery stores (Randall's, aka Tom Thumb in DFW, and H-E-B). Easily walkable.

Heners_UK posted:

High Endurance cards, such as this one, are generally considered the go to for constant record systems like dashcams and security cams:

SanDisk High Endurance Video Monitoring Card with Adapter 64GB (SDSDQQ-064G-G46A) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00V5Q1N1I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_0mPbCbACS1BS4

Silicon Power warranties their cards for dashcam use, but only makes high endurance cards up to 64GB. They're significantly cheaper than SanDisk and Transcend high endurance cards.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

From the gif thread:

That dude is about to have an insurance nightmare

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
That's exactly why police shouldn't pursue fleeing vehicles on the road. Either use a helicopter or just get a plate number and track down the rear end in a top hat later. There's no good reason to put the public at risk, short of the guy being a spree killer with a gun or something.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah but cops don’t chase their own.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Beach Bum posted:

That dude is about to have an insurance nightmare

Better hope he has collision coverage because nobody else will pay for it.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

STR posted:

Silicon Power warranties their cards for dashcam use, but only makes high endurance cards up to 64GB. They're significantly cheaper than SanDisk and Transcend high endurance cards.

Flash storage has always worn out, and the way to make a card last longer is to include more storage than directly exposed to spread out the wear. A 64GB high endurance card might have 128GB or more of real storage, so making a high endurance card with even more capacity might go too far out of what anyone wants to spend.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Better hope he has collision coverage because nobody else will pay for it.

If police were liable for the entirely foreseeable results of their dumbshittery, maybe they'd do less dumb poo poo.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

If police were liable for the entirely foreseeable results of their dumbshittery, maybe they'd do less dumb poo poo.

Yeah, as far as that goes the cop who ordered the spike strip laid out and every other cop who was there and capable of stopping it from being laid out should get sued. The simple fact that the video shows they themselves ran behind the guiderail as they knew of the danger yet instructed the civilians to remain in their cars is proof positive that they knew this was a lovely idea and were cool with civilian injuries and possible casualties to get the fleeing suspect. It’s a loving disgrace.

Everyone that was pulled aside for that shitshow needs to get a lawyer, pronto.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Ripoff posted:

Yeah, as far as that goes the cop who ordered the spike strip laid out and every other cop who was there and capable of stopping it from being laid out should get sued.

Reality: officers have their qualified immunity upheld in court, and damages are paid out by a taxpayer-funded insurance policy that does not impact the department at all - assuming they even accept that much responsibility.

Like any other stupid decision made by the police that results in property damage and/or injury to bystanders they'll blame it on the suspect.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Sovereign immunity is a hell of a thing.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Lots of departments self-insure.
It doesn't relate specifically to this, but I know of some officers (due to my public defender days) who were taken off patrol due to having cost the department way too much money (normally excessive force, but not always), so it can have an impact.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

nm posted:

Have you ever seen one where paying out a claim or damages meant they had to cut something else from the budget?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

nm posted:

It doesn't relate specifically to this, but I know of some officers (due to my public defender days) who were taken off patrol due to having cost the department way too much money (normally excessive force, but not always), so it can have an impact.

It’s interesting to read the police monitor reports. Tons of at fault accidents by officers, almost never in the course of an active pursuit. Just bad driving.

Lot of DUIs, PIs, and sadly domestic stuff as well.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Geoj posted:

Have you ever seen one where paying out a claim or damages meant they had to cut something else from the budget?

I mean, they're not going to say "because we lost this lawsuit, not helicopter" but the aggregate would have an impact the higher ups would notice, and poo poo rolls downhill. Bigger departments don't have pursuit policies only because they think it is a good idea morally.
Sueing is one of the few things that gets results.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Geoj posted:

Like any other stupid decision made by the police that results in property damage and/or injury to bystanders they'll blame it on the suspect.

Crosspost from the OSHA thread:

Malek posted:

Here's the police statement

Lieutenant David Hall of the Cumberland County Sheriff's Office posted:
“Usually, when spike mats are deployed, it is rapidly unfolding. We try to make it as safe as possible. If the suspect just drives over the strips, it is not a problem; if he tries to go around it or take other action, it becomes a problem. The spike strips [do not] cause someone to lose control of their vehicle; they deflate the tires very gradually so they can keep control over the vehicle. Him crashing was not caused by the spike strips, but was caused by him overcorrecting.”

Source : http://www.thedrive.com/news/25519/watch-a-high-speed-pursuit-end-with-a-crash-into-innocent-bystanders

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

NoWake posted:

Crosspost from the OSHA thread:

actually, sir, you see, when you swerved to avoid the deer you commanded the car to go into the ditch, so the accident is determined to be your fault. if you had struck the deer then you would be covered. this case is closed, thank you for being a customer

this is how insurance really works, at least for some companies

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Sagebrush posted:

actually, sir, you see, when you swerved to avoid the deer you commanded the car to go into the ditch, so the accident is determined to be your fault. if you had struck the deer then you would be covered we would deny the claim on the grounds that a deer in the road is an act of god. this case is closed, thank you for being a customer

Fixed.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Not only is hitting wildlife covered; it's covered under your comprehensive (if you have it).

Hitting humans, however, is considered a collision claim.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

actually, sir, you see, when you swerved to avoid the deer you commanded the car to go into the ditch, so the accident is determined to be your fault. if you had struck the deer then you would be covered. this case is closed, thank you for being a customer

It’s because comprehensive coverage is a defined list of perils vs a collision loss which is a broad coverage. Also every moron would just claim they were avoiding a deer when they bin their STI into a ditch.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Also, the US has made being litigious such a dirty word, no one will even talk to a lawyer unless they lost a limb or something.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

nm posted:

Also, the US has made being litigious such a dirty word, no one will even talk to a lawyer unless they lost a limb or something.

Yup. I have to tell people to lawyer up all the time. "Naw man, I don't wanna do all that" okay then bud you can kiss that $1000 goodbye because he won't pay you unless you make him pay your lawyer too.

Then again, I was raised by a pack of lawyers, took my own brother to small claims over $800, and currently have two open cases for $100 and $300.

I needs my money dammit

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Beach Bum posted:

Yup. I have to tell people to lawyer up all the time.
I have never had Any issues with claims with USAA but I was raised by a lawyer and I do t think I can trust any other instructors company after the horror stories I was told when I was little.

My favorite was a driver was going down rural highway, it intersected another road where the cross traffic had a stop sign. The cross traffic ran the stop sign and hit the driver on the high, insurance first denied the claim stating the driver on the highway didn't take evasive action by hitting their brakes. Pictures of the skid marks were sent to show the driver had in fact tried to brake, and the insurance company replied that they were at faulf because if they didn't hit their brakes they would have cleared the intersection before the cross traffic ran the stop sign. Bottom line is most claims under a few thousand are not worth enough to hire a lawyer. For a larger claim, the insurance company will try to outspend you until you drop the case because they don't want a blemish on their record for being successfully sued.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Crotch Fruit posted:

if they didn't hit their brakes they would have cleared the intersection before the cross traffic ran the stop sign

:psyduck:

Time only works like that in a Delorean.

Saddamnit
Jul 5, 2003

I have brained my damage.

nm posted:

You've obviously never been to Maryland.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Beach Bum posted:

Yup. I have to tell people to lawyer up all the time. "Naw man, I don't wanna do all that" okay then bud you can kiss that $1000 goodbye because he won't pay you unless you make him pay your lawyer too.

Then again, I was raised by a pack of lawyers, took my own brother to small claims over $800, and currently have two open cases for $100 and $300.

I needs my money dammit

It cannot possibly be worth the time and hassle of small claims for $100. Why not just mail your avdesary a box of dog poop and move on with your life?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Edit this is a dumb derail

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Dec 20, 2018

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

SlapActionJackson posted:

It cannot possibly be worth the time and hassle of small claims for $100. Why not just mail your avdesary a box of dog poop and move on with your life?
Sometimes the feeling of leaving a mark on your adversary's background is more rewarding than committing a mail crime? About 10 years ago, my cousin had his car t-boned by an uninsured driver, he took the driver to court (I believe it was small claims) and got a judgement for like a about a thousand dollars. The other driver didn't pay, eventually they got arrested and went to jail for an unrelated crime, then a few years after they were released they called up out of the blue because they were trying to clean up their life and wanted to settle the debt with my cousin. They only offered a couple hounded, less than half the settlement, but it was better than nothing and got it off the other drivers record.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

stevewm posted:

Can someone recommend a 12v to 5v hardwire power adapter that doesn't blast out a bunch of EMI?

I've tried 2 different ones now attempting to hardwire my dashcam, and they both blast out so much EMI crap it completely swamps all AM/FM reception.

A bit late to this, but I've used these in combination with fuse taps without any issues. It has a female USB port on it, so you can use the appropriate length USB-A to Mini or Micro USB cable to connect to the dashcam.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Thanks for your input. I guess looking at Dashcams on YouTube just gives you a really biased sample, of people who're narcissistic enough to seek out dangerous situations for internet points.

I was wondering because I wanna get a cam myself but I don't wanna become one of those YouTube assholes who sees a hazard a mile away and then barges into it because they have on camera that they were in the right.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Lord Stimperor posted:

Thanks for your input. I guess looking at Dashcams on YouTube just gives you a really biased sample, of people who're narcissistic enough to seek out dangerous situations for internet points.

I was wondering because I wanna get a cam myself but I don't wanna become one of those YouTube assholes who sees a hazard a mile away and then barges into it because they have on camera that they were in the right.

I'd say that the dashcam assholes you are seeing are simply the people who, without cameras, would be winding down their windows and hurling abuse at people 2-3 times per week.

If you get a cam, you get excited for the first 2-3 weeks and it rapidly dwindles once you realise how mundane your daily drive is.
I forget I have one most of the time.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
I recorded this with my dash cam a couple weeks ago and the main reason I pulled the chip was I was semi-curious if it still worked.

https://mm.bonzoesc.net/media_attachments/files/000/211/272/original/5d233e010eeaf269.mp4

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

It's ... a mobile crane. What exactly are we supposed to be looking at that's so interesting?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Apologies for the reflection, but... medians are hard, apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9B_yfYHjjQ

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

My girlfriend (am I supposed to capitalize that still?) got me a Crosstour CR300 cam for Christmas. It's a fairly generic Chinese rig, but I'm tickled as hell that she even thought to get me one in the first place since I've only mentioned picking one up a couple of times offhand. She's pretty drat awesome. The weather's gonna have to warm up some before I install it though, it's loving cold out there and my garage isn't heated.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlPGvDPLHX8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

That's quite impressive :golfclap: