Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MegaButt
Feb 21, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Owning a console is pointless in current year now that almost every AAA game gets a PC release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Actually owning a console is pointless because almost all AAA releases are absolute trash and PCs have a larger indie game market.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Colonel Cancer posted:

Really? I don't really consume any kind of videogame media but I thought I caught glances of people raving about Prey. Maybe it's just the kind of weirdoes I surround myself with.

I still see things more than a year old dropping down to $5-10 CAD though so idk

People who played it loved it but actual sales numbers werent there to the point where after two under performing games Bethesda had to send out assurances Arkane wasnt being shuttered.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

When is Rimworld coming to Bxbox?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Barudak posted:

People who played it loved it but actual sales numbers werent there to the point where after two under performing games Bethesda had to send out assurances Arkane wasnt being shuttered.

Oh. Figures.

And yet a generic multiplayer shootman game with a token campaign or perhaps another yearly iteration of football game featuring a new number on the box probably reports record sales.

Gamers are trash

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fifa 19 sold 24 million copies or something absurd.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The best indie games are better than the best AAA games, but for the most part indie games are worse than the worst AAA games.

Doom 3 is, of course, the perfect game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MegaButt posted:

Owning a console is pointless in current year now that almost every AAA game gets a PC release.

Except 70% of the good ones are Sony or Nintendo exclusive and will never come to PC.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

veni veni veni posted:

Except 70% of the good ones are Sony or Nintendo exclusive and will never come to PC.

Everything comes to PC eventually through the magic of emulators

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Away all Goats posted:

Everything comes to PC eventually through the magic of emulators

Yeah that PS3 emulator works really well

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Ok that might be cheating based on everything I’ve heard about the console being an eldritch hardware nightmare

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

christmas boots posted:

it works well enough to play thing that never got ported!

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

What actually good PS3 and PS4 exclusives are there?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

christmas boots posted:

i am 95% sure ps3 emulation is fine and easy because i definitely got it working while nearly blackout drunk just as a test of my bluray drive, and that was probably nearly a year ago now

no save states for some ridiculous* reason though

*because they would be like half a gig and the project team thinks that is somehow unacceptable despite today's drive sizes

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Colonel Cancer posted:

Actually owning a console is pointless because almost all AAA releases are absolute trash and PCs have a larger indie game market.

This is the real reason

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

food court bailiff posted:

*because they would be like half a gig and the project team thinks that is somehow unacceptable despite today's drive sizes

Maybe drive size is no problem, but do you have any idea how long it takes even an SSD to write 500 megs?

poisonpill posted:

What actually good PS3 and PS4 exclusives are there?

persona 5, dragon's crown, a couple tales-of titles

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I just don't like console controllers

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

indie games are pretty much all bad

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

video games are all bad

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Caesar Saladin posted:

I don't know why people keep saying this when a bunch of really great games of recent years were indie games, if by indie you mean a small studio: Invisible Inc, FTL, Brigador, The Long Dark, La Mulana, Sky Rogue, Overcooked, Towerfall, just some off the top of my head.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Caesar Saladin posted:

:hmmyes:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

I don't know why people keep saying this when a bunch of really great games of recent years were indie games, if by indie you mean a small studio: Invisible Inc, FTL, Brigador, The Long Dark, La Mulana, Sky Rogue, Overcooked, Towerfall, just some off the top of my head.

most of those are fun for like, 2 or 3 hours but people who play FTL for 100+ hours are brokebrained

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I definitely prefer a keyboard and mouse, but sometimes you just wanna kick it on the couch, man.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

The White Dragon posted:

it works well enough to play thing that never got ported!

Is that thing Demon's Souls? Because the only other one I can think of is MGS4 and watching that on YouTube is probably about the same thing.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Depends on the game imo. I like using my xboner controller on games where using a keyboard and mouse wouldn't make much of a difference.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Caesar Saladin posted:

most of those are fun for like, 2 or 3 hours but people who play FTL for 100+ hours are brokebrained

They're all good fun for much longer than that

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

ChazTurbo posted:

Depends on the game imo. I like using my xboner controller on games where using a keyboard and mouse wouldn't make much of a difference.

Basically any strategy RPG or management game is lovely with gamepads. Platformers are lovely with mouse and keyboard. FPS is serviceable with gamepad and I like using them for games like new Wolfenstein where my aim doesn't matter as much because I'm not fighting against other players, but if I wanna have any snap aiming I gotta have a mouse.

Basically what I'm saying is port all games to work with the Switch joycons, obviously

christmas boots posted:

Is that thing Demon's Souls? Because the only other one I can think of is MGS4 and watching that on YouTube is probably about the same thing.

Yakuza 3 through 5

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Everyone should play the entire numbered Yakuza series.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Those are all getting remastered IIRC (not Kiwami style though)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I play the rest of the Yakuza games when they figure out how to make the combat not hot pressed garbage

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

It's a correct opinion

XCOM also has superfluous graphics, invis inc i can just boot up in a few seconds and play for a bit which is what i really want with that kind of game.

Yeah I don't think that I could even do an Endless mode in XCOM, by the time that I'm done with the campaign I'm just pushing through to the end and not having fun anymore. Invisible Inc keeps remaining fresh and interesting even up to like day 15 (where I'm at now)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sodomy Hussein posted:

There was a time that AAAs went down to $7.50 or $5 fairly quick, and now most publishers are trying to act like $30 is a deal and keep it that way for years. Why, in my day... :corsair:

SEGA is especially egregious with this kind of thing, the first Total Warhammer is still a nominal $60 when it's not on sale :psyduck:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

christmas boots posted:

The best indie games are better than the best AAA games, but for the most part indie games are worse than the worst AAA games.

Doom 34 is, of course, the perfect game.

Fixed

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

QuarkJets posted:

SEGA is especially egregious with this kind of thing, the first Total Warhammer is still a nominal $60 when it's not on sale :psyduck:

I was looking at cod world at war and modern warfare 2 a few steam sales ago and was blown away by how expensive they were. They're ancient now!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Quake 4 is better than Doom 4

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

christmas boots posted:

There's also PS Now.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Prey sucked. Sure, let me walk around the same corridors, fighting the same respawning enemies and collecting garbage for X hours.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Prey sucked. Sure, let me walk around the same corridors, fighting the same respawning enemies and collecting garbage for X hours.

People were talking about Prey 2016 though.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Me too. Original Prey was alright, iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah what a video game