Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

Twilight princess is a solod 6/10 as everything works right but none of it barring one dungeon concept is good.

Gamecube is 7/10 for not having motion controls

I completely forgot there was a Wii version, I've only played the Gamecube version.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

people sent death threats to jeff gerstmann scoring zelda: twilight princess too low

he gave it an 8.8 out of 10, which is doubly hilarious since that piece of poo poo maybe deserved a 2 out of 10, at the absolute best

so yes

Eidos sent him the ultimate death threat for Kane and Lynch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

It was kind of cool to learn about Below, become interested in it, then see it was on Gamepass.

Xbox stays winning.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Love the new thread title chaps.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Beastie posted:

It was kind of cool to learn about Below, become interested in it, then see it was on Gamepass.

Xbox stays winning.

Its too dark and small for my living room

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BattleTech posted:

I completely forgot there was a Wii version, I've only played the Gamecube version.

Link is lefthanded still in the gamecube version so its definitive as far as I care.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I thought TP was good but Id never really played any zelda game front to back before.

I might play whatever the one on Switch is called but its tough to justify time to play the switch when I have an XBONEX sitting right there.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Barudak posted:

Link is lefthanded still in the gamecube version so its definitive as far as I care.

Also it's got the originally intended map orientation. Even all the in-game Hylian text (stuff like signs on buildings and placenames on your map were mirrored backwards in the Wii version.

But really the worst thing about the Wii version is just how pointless the motion controls feel; they're really just button presses replaced with Wiimote gestures (except for bow aiming i guess), whereas Skyward Sword was clearly planned from the start with motion controls in mind.

e: Though really there's nothing wrong with the Wii U remaster, so I'd call that the definitive version myself.

Zat fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 19, 2018

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Aaronicon posted:

what's it been like, living in a cave with no internet for the past ten years

That which must not be spoken was happening around tge time I got out of games and seeing it from the outside kept me away, so returning has been a slow process.

It seems so chill here, I guess SA is just a chill place.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Xbox is doing cool year in review emails so be on the lookout for that in your spam folders. I found out that my gamerscore puts me in the top 2% of players and my achievements earned for the year is in the top 3%. :eyepop: But my time played is in the top 10% so I'm gaming at least somewhat efficiently too. My year end list was dominated by old rear end creed games because I played through a bunch way earlier this year lol.

Most played game this year was Dark Souls 2: SOTFS which was a little surprising but not really.

e: Ha ha, it says I played 46 hours of multiplayer this year, which I am pretty sure is just 46 of 48 of my DS2 time played. It didn't seem to get anything from the last few weeks, otherwise RDR2 probably would have been up there already.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 19, 2018

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

How can I buy the Far Harbor DLC without buying the GOTY version of FO4?

Edit: Buy, as in for cheaper than $35 for a DLC

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 19, 2018

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

DrNutt posted:

Xbox is doing cool year in review emails so be on the lookout for that in your spam folders. I found out that my gamerscore puts me in the top 2% of players and my achievements earned for the year is in the top 3%. :eyepop:

i was at 1% for both gamerscore and achievements :smuggo:

in fact i'm very rapidly running out of achievements to even get in the games i own since i am a broke college student who can't afford to buy any games right now. gotta squeeze that value out of what i got.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

DrNutt posted:

Xbox is doing cool year in review emails so be on the lookout for that in your spam folders. I found out that my gamerscore puts me in the top 2% of players and my achievements earned for the year is in the top 3%. :eyepop: But my time played is in the top 10% so I'm gaming at least somewhat efficiently too. My year end list was dominated by old rear end creed games because I played through a bunch way earlier this year lol.

Most played game this year was Dark Souls 2: SOTFS which was a little surprising but not really.

e: Ha ha, it says I played 46 hours of multiplayer this year, which I am pretty sure is just 46 of 48 of my DS2 time played. It didn't seem to get anything from the last few weeks, otherwise RDR2 probably would have been up there already.

Did you unplug your Xbox from the internet for 2 hours of dark souls? Seems oddly specific.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i was at 1% for both gamerscore and achievements :smuggo:

in fact i'm very rapidly running out of achievements to even get in the games i own since i am a broke college student who can't afford to buy any games right now. gotta squeeze that value out of what i got.

Gamepass is currently $1.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

drunkill posted:

Gamepass is currently $1.

Only if you're joining, unfortunately. I wish there was a way to hop on these promotion deals as an active subscriber.

Case in point, I had Gold renew for $10 and a day later, it was $10 for three months. Fortunately, I was able to cancel and renew at that deal price, but that's a pain.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Amazon is still selling a year of Game Pass for $70. So that's a year of some good games and being able to try out all kinds random games for about the price of a single game.

-Misfit-
Apr 20, 2005

I come in the name of Jesus Christ by the power of the holy spirit Bitch!
How long does it take to get accepted in the secret goon club on Xbox?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

doingitwrong posted:

Amazon is still selling a year of Game Pass for $70. So that's a year of some good games and being able to try out all kinds random games for about the price of a single game.

What do i do for the other 11 months tho?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
GTA 5 is 15bux for today only, physical or digital.

https://www.polygon.com/deals/2018/12/19/18147007/grand-theft-auto-5-amazon-twitch-prime-dotd

Free if you have twitch prime as you'll get $15 cashback.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

drunkill posted:

https://www.polygon.com/deals/2018/12/19/18147007/grand-theft-auto-5-amazon-twitch-prime-dotd

Getting those last 8 people who don't have GTA V yet

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm proud to be one of the Eight.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

exquisite tea posted:

I'm proud to be one of the Eight.

Story is meh but its fun to gently caress around in.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

TheScott2K posted:

Getting those last 8 people who don't have GTA V yet

Played it on PS3, looking forward to finally seeing the current gen version.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Over There posted:

Story is meh but its fun to gently caress around in.

Precisely. I've never ever gone back to replay the story (apart from a few missions with neat set pieces) in any GTA. But it is a gigantic sandbox to mess around in.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

drunkill posted:

Yeah I had it on the pc but for free I’ll take it on the Xbox.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Beastie posted:

Precisely. I've never ever gone back to replay the story (apart from a few missions with neat set pieces) in any GTA. But it is a gigantic sandbox to mess around in.

As I get older, I find open-world sandbox games to be less fun. I use to really enjoy just dicking around in GTA basically accomplishing nothing, but now I want nothing but missions to accomplish. As soon as the story is over I pretty much am done with a game. Big reason why I'm not a fan of the Just Cause series, I don't like "make your own fun" style games. Just give me a task and let me complete it as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

BisterdDave posted:

As I get older, I find open-world sandbox games to be less fun. I use to really enjoy just dicking around in GTA basically accomplishing nothing, but now I want nothing but missions to accomplish. As soon as the story is over I pretty much am done with a game. Big reason why I'm not a fan of the Just Cause series, I don't like "make your own fun" style games. Just give me a task and let me complete it as quickly and efficiently as possible.

I get it. I have to be in a very specific mood to want to boot it up. I mostly spend my time on a motorcycle or a bike trying to find some broken rear end jump.

I think I stopped trying to do murder rampages when I was 18.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I find small scale stuff to be way more entertaining these days. Like I think at this point I give the edge to GTAIV over V because there's a dedicated shove button. It's an extremely cathartic thing to come home in a bad mood and just spend twenty minutes loving with people, slapping coffee cups out of their hands, knocking them over when they're carrying groceries, poo poo like that. Usually doesn't cause a lot of police involvement, sometimes people will want to fight you.

I like poking at the AI and watching the numerous complex and hilarious ways it has to react and the various systems within, it's a great time and way more fun to me these days than trying to rack up a five star wanted level or whatever. I want more stuff like that. I love the antagonize/defuse cycle in RDR2 for this very reason.

e: Gimme a Canadian GTA where you mostly just mildly inconvenience people and then you have the option of apologizing for it too.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Beastie posted:

I get it. I have to be in a very specific mood to want to boot it up. I mostly spend my time on a motorcycle or a bike trying to find some broken rear end jump.

I think I stopped trying to do murder rampages when I was 18.

I found the driving/races in GTA Online to be fun, so I'm at least excited to get back into that for a bit. Everything else about the Online component was boring to me.

DrNutt posted:

I find small scale stuff to be way more entertaining these days. Like I think at this point I give the edge to GTAIV over V because there's a dedicated shove button. It's an extremely cathartic thing to come home in a bad mood and just spend twenty minutes loving with people, slapping coffee cups out of their hands, knocking them over when they're carrying groceries, poo poo like that. Usually doesn't cause a lot of police involvement, sometimes people will want to fight you.

I like poking at the AI and watching the numerous complex and hilarious ways it has to react and the various systems within, it's a great time and way more fun to me these days than trying to rack up a five star wanted level or whatever. I want more stuff like that. I love the antagonize/defuse cycle in RDR2 for this very reason.

e: Gimme a Canadian GTA where you mostly just mildly inconvenience people and then you have the option of apologizing for it too.

This reminds me of a trophy in Yakuza 4 (PS3) that requires you to run into 100 random people in the streets and knock them over. I was cracking up the whole time doing it while my wife was just shaking her head. Now every time I play a Yakuza game she asks if I'm gonna knock people over again, which I normally do for a bit.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BisterdDave posted:

I found the driving/races in GTA Online to be fun, so I'm at least excited to get back into that for a bit. Everything else about the Online component was boring to me.

This reminds me of a trophy in Yakuza 4 (PS3) that requires you to run into 100 random people in the streets and knock them over. I was cracking up the whole time doing it while my wife was just shaking her head. Now every time I play a Yakuza game she asks if I'm gonna knock people over again, which I normally do for a bit.

The stunt races were by far my favorite thing they added to GTA Online, just absurdly fun. I love the races with the amphibious quads, just so good.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

BisterdDave posted:

Yeah, now when I hear 'open world gameplay', i tend to give much less a gently caress about the game.

I have never played GTA 5 and I'm fine with that.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I continue to have more fun in GTA5 just trying to get from one side of the map to the other than in any other open world game. That said it's also the only open world game I have fun in rather than play for 20 minutes before giving up from lack of interest. Excluding RDR2 which I've been slowly working through the intro stuff and I don't think it's open world yet.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

DrNutt posted:

I’ve been playing AC Syndicate lately and I’m mildly disappointed that you can’t tackle random people anymore. That was a pretty cathartic thing to do in the older games.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

runchild posted:

I’ve been playing AC Syndicate lately and I’m mildly disappointed that you can’t tackle random people anymore. That was a pretty cathartic thing to do in the older games.

I missed this one, I might need to try it out. I got slightly overwhelmed with the RPG mechanics of the new ones.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The coolest thing about syndicate is the trains and their amazing sound and visual design on them

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

ethanol posted:

The coolest thing about syndicate is the trains and their amazing sound and visual design on them

I heard recently that this was the game that they wanted Unity to be. Goes to show that rushing out games can almost ruin franchises.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Over There posted:

I missed this one, I might need to try it out. I got slightly overwhelmed with the RPG mechanics of the new ones.

Syndicate comes from an extremely bad era of Ubisoft open world where after every activity (no matter how brief) it throws up a splash screen which totally interrupts the basic best thing about the game which is the flow of running and actions. It's the era when they'd ask you to rate every activity after you did it. I really wanted to like it and I really, really didn't.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

doingitwrong posted:

Syndicate comes from an extremely bad era of Ubisoft open world where after every activity (no matter how brief) it throws up a splash screen which totally interrupts the basic best thing about the game which is the flow of running and actions. It's the era when they'd ask you to rate every activity after you did it. I really wanted to like it and I really, really didn't.

I personally don’t have much issue with the end-of-activity splash screens, I think you’re exaggerating just how often they occur. Also, I remembered the rating thing was in Unity (which, despite it’s flaws, I liked overall) but I had to check to see that it was still there. It’s very easy to ignore.

Haven’t finished it yet but I’d give Syndicate a qualified recommend. The qualification being that if you don’t like AC games or are tired of Ubisoft open world games in general this probably isn’t gonna change that. But if you like them than it’s a good one. Especially if you enjoyed Unity, it’s very much an improved version of that game, systems-wise. The grappling hook is great.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1075784372173721600?s=19

Hell yeah Celeste! And Far Cry 2!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Huh Im a bit surprised by Celeste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013