Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aeolusdallas
Mar 2, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Unless that thing is a giant rear end railgun what would be the point of that? And that would probably be classified as a WMD.

I would assume such a weapon would be an ASAT but my point is that it's not illegal to put weapons in space. Only WMDs. Yes it's pedantic but the distinction is real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
We assume this is live video of the orange poo poo smear reacting to his daily Adderall dose and the news. More reporters are in route.

https://i.imgur.com/OjcuVrv.mp4

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
so apparently the senate dems are begging trump to take a few billion for fence building, so we should expect the cave in to hit soon

holysherm
Feb 14, 2016
Ask me about my undying love for Derek Jeter.
CNN kicks a guy off the air for just saying there should be two states, one from river to sea, a week before Tucker Carlson says racist poo poo yet again and somehow Nate Silver thinks that the left will have to worry about being boycotted by advertisers too.

You can't get boycotted from TV if you can't even get on TV ever to begin with. Even popular, boring liberal ideas can't get airtime, let alone the extreme ones.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/ShimonPro/status/1075235978854449152?s=19

https://twitter.com/MarshallCohen/status/1075236383973888005?s=19

Idiots

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Trump was literally asked what the wall would be made out of on the campaign trail and he unequivocally said it would be made of concrete and rebar. Everyone remembers this because it was a cutesy widdle baby fascist who asked him in one of the most blatant media stunt moments of her entire campaign.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I'm a bit concerned about the sourcing on that letter.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

sexpig by night posted:

so apparently the senate dems are begging trump to take a few billion for fence building, so we should expect the cave in to hit soon

Thanks, internet guy

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Has there ever been any real discussion of what this wall would be in reality? Like is this supposed to be a huge rear end 20 foot high wall that spans the entire length of the border? Or is it just sections of the border and remote areas would remain relatively open?

This speaks to my ignorance on the border, but is there currently fencing that runs the entire length or are there open areas? My impression was there are remote areas that are relatively unguarded cause it would be ridiculously expensive to patrol and maintain a thousands of miles long contiguous wall.

If Trump were smart he would get some chunk of funding allocated to his dumb wall project. He builds up an impressive looking section of it, holds a grand ceremony declaring The Wall complete and let's himself and his supporters pretend they won.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Popete posted:

If Trump were smart

lol

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Popete posted:

Has there ever been any real discussion of what this wall would be in reality? Like is this supposed to be a huge rear end 20 foot high wall that spans the entire length of the border? Or is it just sections of the border and remote areas would remain relatively open?

This speaks to my ignorance on the border, but is there currently fencing that runs the entire length or are there open areas? My impression was there are remote areas that are relatively unguarded cause it would be ridiculously expensive to patrol and maintain a thousands of miles long contiguous wall.

If Trump were smart he would get some chunk of funding allocated to his dumb wall project. He builds up an impressive looking section of it, holds a grand ceremony declaring The Wall complete and let's himself and his supporters pretend they won.

The current fencing has huge gaps, hundreds of miles long.

He's sorta doing that, he keeps saying the wall is partially built and... It isn't

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It hasn't been thought out properly because the people that want the Wall are idiots that can't properly think things out.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Exactly

It just seems like such an easy win for him. He builds a small section of 20 foot impressive looking concrete/metal/death trap looking wall. Goes to a ribbon cutting ceremony, maybe shoots some tear gas into Mexico and then never brings it up again except to declare the border secure. It's an easy cop-out for what was always an insane and unrealistic campaign promise.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Popete posted:

Posting from 2040: Turns out Trump lost in 2020 because people wanted the wall and he couldn't deliver.

we deserve ourselves

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Popete posted:

Trump wanted Spain to build a wall across the Sahara

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Popete posted:

current fencing has large gaps, but that's quite intended. the overwhelming majority of illegal border crossings occur near population centers on or close to the border, because traveling in the desert is highly dangerous and the longer the distance you need to travel, the more supplies you need to pack, etc.

then there's also natural barriers, such as hills and/or thick shrubbery, that make certain areas basically impossible to traverse anyway. so those areas don't have fencing.

trump of course doesn't understand any of this because he has never, ever stepped foot outside his luxurious urban lifestyle. golfing is as much "nature" as he gets, basically. therefore, he wants a wall covering literally the entire 2000 miles.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Popete posted:

Exactly

It just seems like such an easy win for him. He builds a small section of 20 foot impressive looking concrete/metal/death trap looking wall. Goes to a ribbon cutting ceremony, maybe shoots some tear gas into Mexico and then never brings it up again except to declare the border secure. It's an easy cop-out for what was always an insane and unrealistic campaign promise.

And then 9 months later CNN airs their Sunday evening special “Trump’s wall: where is it now?” And anyone with a tv that lands on it immediately changes the channel.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Have you ever taken a close look at Donald's signature? After what is clearly the T, it appears to go "rumnph"

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So does anyone have a good read on why this was able to pass in such overwhelming bipartisan fashion?

Because I sure as hell would like to replicate that success for other legislation.

https://twitter.com/huffpost/status/1075211792266100736?s=21

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

theblackw0lf posted:

So does anyone have a good read on why this was able to pass in such overwhelming bipartisan fashion?

Because I sure as hell would like to replicate that success for other legislation.

https://twitter.com/huffpost/status/1075211792266100736?s=21

Trump, pushed by Kushner, supported a thing that usually mostly Democrats like

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

theflyingorc posted:

Trump, pushed by Kushner, supported a thing that usually mostly Democrats like

Also, a lot of white people are getting jailed by the opiod epidemic

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
How's this bill playing with the "tough on crime" constituency?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I don't know if there's a website that is more consistently stupid in the takes it publishes than the Federalist.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Also, a lot of white people are getting jailed by the opiod epidemic

As good as reform is yeaaaaah it’s pretty much white people are suddenly on the receiving end of our hosed up war on drugs, tough on crime poo poo typically reserved for people who fail the paper bag test and egads! Suddenly it’s cruel and must change!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

i am harry posted:

Have you ever taken a close look at Donald's signature? After what is clearly the T, it appears to go "rumnph"

It's easier than remembering how to spell your name.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Popete posted:

It varies depending on the speaker, but the whole "artistic steel you can see through" refers to a format that's basically a bunch of segments, each of which consists of a series of tall metal slats. The section seen in this LA Times story is probably roughly illustrative.

https://www.latimes.com/local/la-na-ff-c1-border-music-20140130-dto-htmlstory.html

My extremely limited understanding is that something about like this is what has been settled on as relatively effective for the demands involved with a border fence- segmented, one-size-fits-all, durable, easy to replace individual parts hard to scale, hard to dig under, and you can see through it so you know what's on the other side.

Others have covered the scope question: it's going to be a huge contractor boondoggle, and it makes little sense to erect something like this in a lot of areas, even if the idea of a border fence were generally sound.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 19, 2018

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Popete posted:

Exactly

The thing is, like most things fascist, the wall is only useful insofar as it is an impossible goal with no practical ultimate realization. You're not supposed to ever finish it, and the whole point is that you can keep bringing it up again and again, while blaming its non-existance or insufficiency on your political enemies. Chuds riled up about immigration? "We need a wall". Got funding to build an impressive section and/or a fence? "Wall's not big enough! Blame Democrats!" They don't ever want that easy win or mission accomplished moment because a problem they can blame on someone else is better than a fake "win" they can claim for themselves. If you declare the border secure and never bring it up again, what do you tell your idiot racist base 4 months later when, surprise surprise, they still hate brown people?

It's just like self help books, or MLM, or goofball diets, or doomsday prophecies, or any other stupid thing sold to idiots as a solution to their problems. The endless struggle and drama and doubling and tripling down over and over again is the whole point (along with the shitload of money you can grift along the way).

And on some level, trump knows this. It's just that he's such a fundamentally poo poo negotiator and such a constitutionally weak person that he can't bumble his way through this tried and true exercise in propaganda and salesmanship without looking like an idiot fuckup coward sucker. But then again, that doesn't really matter, because his base will forgive that as long as they are given the most tenuous thread of a narrative to hold on to where Big Daddy Trump is in fact not owned and/or a corncob.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Discendo Vox posted:

It varies depending on the speaker, but the whole "artistic steel you can see through" refers to a format that's basically a bunch of segments, each of which consists of a series of tall metal slats. The section seen in this LA Times story is probably roughly illustrative.

https://www.latimes.com/local/la-na-ff-c1-border-music-20140130-dto-htmlstory.html

My extremely limited understanding is that something about like this is what has been settled on as relatively effective for the demands involved with a border fence- segmented, one-size-fits-all, durable, easy to replace individual parts hard to scale, hard to dig under, and you can see through it so you know what's on the other side.

Others have covered the scope question: it's going to be a huge contractor boondoggle, and it makes little sense to erect something like this in a lot of areas, even if the idea of a border fence were generally sound.

Trump thinks that the slats are so you can peek through and watch out for devious Mexicans, though

I wish that was a joke, he's said that out loud numerous times.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't know if there's a website that is more consistently stupid in the takes it publishes than the Federalist.

If it helps, I think the author's even a pseudonym. Four articles (all cultural war BS), no online presence I could find.

I kind of like the idea that the Federalist will still publish takes so dumb that it has to Alan Smithee them.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

theflyingorc posted:

Trump thinks that the slats are so you can peek through and watch out for devious Mexicans, though

It's worse than that - he's concerned that so many "bags of drugs" are going to be thrown over the wall that it has to be transparent so no one gets hurt by all the falling drugs.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
According to Trump, you have to be able to see through it otherwise the drug dealers will hit you with their catapults.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

theflyingorc posted:

So we should spend billions on something that can be circumvented with a blow torch then.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

CubanMissile posted:

So we should spend billions on something that can be circumvented with a blow torch then.

I mean lets be honest the average MAGA type wants the wall to basically be like the northern border from Full Metal Alchemist.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

deoju posted:

According to Trump, you have to be able to see through it otherwise the drug dealers will hit you with their catapults.

It's darkly amusing how that's one of the things that has stuck in Trump's mush brain, he's obsessed with the wall being transparent.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean lets be honest the average MAGA type wants the wall to basically be like the northern border from Full Metal Alchemist.

Oh yeah, I'm sure they want murder holes and cauldrons of boiling oil too. It just still blows my mind that they think they'll actually get it. Though really nothing should surprise me after they honestly expected Mexico to pay for it because Trump said so.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

maybe the rest of the world should wall off Merica and transmute all the terrible people into one big philo stone and use that to do stuff.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

It's worse than that - he's concerned that so many "bags of drugs" are going to be thrown over the wall that it has to be transparent so no one gets hurt by all the falling drugs.

And now they can stick drugs through the slats, infinitely easier and more cost-effective than the catapults. Good job, President Goodbrain.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Lightning Knight posted:

Their "The mass church shooting victims were lucky because now they get to go the heaven faster" article was so dumb I thought it was an Onion article first glance.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

bobjr posted:

Their "The mass church shooting victims were lucky because now they get to go the heaven faster" article was so dumb I thought it was an Onion article first glance.

Link? I totally believe this exists, but i need to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
One freeper wanted a mountain range of used tires placed along the border. That led to my favorite d&d title ever... USPOL: A Song of ICE and Tire.

Pretty sure it was Amergin who came up with that.