Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

His drawings are pretty cool, especially considering he usually drew from memory. I wouldn't mind having a copy framed in my living room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

The first time I heard Wesley Willis was a Napster download that someone had purposely renamed to look like something else.

It was Suck a Camels rear end and it was incredible.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Saw him with a group of friends back in 1998 when he opened for the The Frogs. We were not aware he was opening for them until we walked in and he was sitting at the bar. Friend went over, bought a CD and got a headbutt. Then he went on stage and played for way too long. One of the four of us was NOT familiar with him and was confused and a bit angry with the rest of us by the time he finished.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

jojoinnit posted:

Super Size Me! Man, seeing that briefly made me a smug af teenager then I grew up and realised eating any lovely food with no nutrition regularly is bad for you...

Was he the camera guy who traveled with Spurlock? Don't remember anyone else from that other than the doctors.
He made a Super Size Me 2! last year, exclusive on YOUTUBE RED until he admitted sexual misconduct or something and got dropped from everything. Womp womp.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Too bad because the movie is apparently really good and the audiences at the screeners loved it. The chicken farmers in it also desperately want people to see it because their industry is rough.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

widefault posted:

Saw him with a group of friends back in 1998 when he opened for the The Frogs. We were not aware he was opening for them until we walked in and he was sitting at the bar. Friend went over, bought a CD and got a headbutt. Then he went on stage and played for way too long. One of the four of us was NOT familiar with him and was confused and a bit angry with the rest of us by the time he finished.

When I saw him, one thing contributing to his very, very long performance was that, for every two out of three songs or so, he'd abruptly stop at some point, announce "that was just a rock and roll test," and start the entire song over from the beginning.

If you know anything about his music, you know that (1) you come for the lyrics, not the actual music itself, and especially not the interminable bridges between the second and third verses (which was inevitably where he'd start over) and (2) I cannot imagine even the most refined ear being able to tell the difference between a Wesley Willis song performed correctly and a Wesley Willis song with a wrong note.

Ah, but he could. Bless him. I did get about twenty-five headbutts that night, and I've still got my autographed copy of Mr. Magoo Goes to Jail vol. 1 somewhere.

quote:

I murdered your family
I murdered your family
I murdered your family
I murdered your family

Ocean Spray, crave the wave

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Mu Zeta posted:

Too bad because the movie is apparently really good

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it full of made up bullshit like the first one

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
You can close the thread, as this is the most 90's thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8sZ1DWsAHE

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Iron Crowned posted:

I agree

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's at 80% if you just look at the top critics. Who cares what some Kansas online site thinks about movies.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 53 minutes!

Mu Zeta posted:

It's at 80% if you just look at the top critics. Who cares what some Kansas online site thinks about movies.

"Top Critics" give the first one 92%. It's still a bullshit movie filled with made-up bullshit. For example, despite claiming in the film that he wasn't drinking alcohol, and despite the premise that he was only allowed to consume things purchased at McDonald's, water included, he was actually a full-blown alcoholic and hadn't been "sober for more than a week in 30 years." The film makes a big deal about the liver damage that showed up at the conclusion of his McDonalds experiment, but the more likely cause of chronic alcoholism certainly wasn't mentioned.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If there's bullshit in the second one that's unfortunate but I still wish I could see it. He's not doing anything to himself in the second movie. It's all about the garbage marketing labels that go into restaurants like something being free range or local. Also pretty much all documentaries have manipulative bullshit so you just have to take the good with the bad in my experience.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 16:06 on Dec 19, 2018

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Also pretty much all documentaries have manipulative bullshit so
Why do defenses of absolute dogshit "documentaries" always excuse them like this? Being riddled with factual errors isn't a "bias", it's just a bad film.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Because most of the ones I like are very manipulative and there is no such thing as an objective documentary, at least that I've watched. Roger and Me is one of my favorites because it does important work but I can also acknowledge Michael Moore makes himself look like a hero in every shot.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 53 minutes!

Mu Zeta posted:

Because most of the ones I like are very manipulative and there is no such thing as an objective documentary, at least that I've watched.

The objection wasn't that it wasn't objective, the objection is that it is *lying to you*.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I still believe eating lovely fast food all the time is bad for you.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
So, how about those 90's?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Mu Zeta posted:

Also pretty much all documentaries have manipulative bullshit so you just have to take the good with the bad in my experience.
Did you know Lemmings are suicidal when you throw them?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Iron Crowned posted:

So, how about those 90's?

Does anyone else sort of like Big Bad Voodoo Daddy and the Brian Setzer Orchestra or is it just me?

I think it's because I played in a youth jazz orchestra when I was younger and we did some of those charts.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Iron Crowned posted:

The 90s, where even dogs had racial stereotypes.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The voice actor was cool on Reno 911.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Pastry of the Year posted:

When I saw him, one thing contributing to his very, very long performance was that, for every two out of three songs or so, he'd abruptly stop at some point, announce "that was just a rock and roll test," and start the entire song over from the beginning.

If you know anything about his music, you know that (1) you come for the lyrics, not the actual music itself, and especially not the interminable bridges between the second and third verses (which was inevitably where he'd start over) and (2) I cannot imagine even the most refined ear being able to tell the difference between a Wesley Willis song performed correctly and a Wesley Willis song with a wrong note.

Ah, but he could. Bless him. I did get about twenty-five headbutts that night, and I've still got my autographed copy of Mr. Magoo Goes to Jail vol. 1 somewhere.

I'm so jealous of you fuckers that got to see Wesley Willis.

I've got a live recording of his song "Micheal Jackson" from I think Cleveland Ohio. I love the audience participation,and the fact that he'd respond to indivduals in the crowd.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

Would it be more ‘90s or less if you consider the commercials promoting the 1997 Godzilla miscarriage?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

wesleywillis posted:

I'm so jealous of you fuckers that got to see Wesley Willis.

Have you tried looking in the mirror?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Would it be more ‘90s or less if you consider the commercials promoting the 1997 Godzilla miscarriage?

from the Pastry of the Year "First Date" collection

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Does anyone else sort of like Big Bad Voodoo Daddy and the Brian Setzer Orchestra or is it just me?

I think it's because I played in a youth jazz orchestra when I was younger and we did some of those charts.

I still Stan for Brian Setzer, it may have been a fad but it's still drat good music. Maybe I'm just weird/old, but big band/swing music feels like it will always be appropriate in a certain context. Sort of like classical I guess.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
The only problem with the 90's swing fad is that not enough people realize Cherry Poppin' Daddies weren't a swing band, but genre hoppers that wrote, among other stuff, swing songs. Their funk stuff is surprisingly awesome once you get past the guy's pinched chipmunk voice.

I'll also defend the ska craze of '96 to the death. Let's Face It was the first non-Weird Al album I ever owned and holds up to this day.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OutOfPrint posted:

The only problem with the 90's swing fad is that not enough people realize Cherry Poppin' Daddies weren't a swing band, but genre hoppers that wrote, among other stuff, swing songs. Their funk stuff is surprisingly awesome once you get past the guy's pinched chipmunk voice.

I'll also defend the ska craze of '96 to the death. Let's Face It was the first non-Weird Al album I ever owned and holds up to this day.

I hated Cherry Poppin' Daddies because their name sounds loving vile.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I reckon the 90s with the whole alternative music movement and all its permutations is the worst era for band names. What's the worst one? Cherry Poppin' Daddies is pretty bad but I have a particular dislike for Hoobastank.

It's so weird how alternative rock cycled through a couple of genres in the 90s. You had grunge first, then Britpop (Oasis, anyway) was very briefly the thing, then ska was briefly the thing (for, like, one summer), then swing was even more briefly the thing, and finally they settled on post-grunge, which I feel can be blamed on Creed more than Nickelback.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

post-grunge, which I feel can be blamed on Creed more than Nickelback.

Hard agree.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
WID AWWWWMS WAHD AWPAAAHHHHN

WID AWWWWMS WAHD AWPAAAHHHHN

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTeg1txDv8w

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Seven Mary Three and Creed are basically Pearl Jam for frat boys.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Randaconda posted:

I hated Cherry Poppin' Daddies because their name sounds loving vile.

I mean that too.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU95v23MQ4c

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

This sounds like an In Living Color parody of something.

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
Thanks to this thread i have rediscovered a song i thought i dreamed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_fg_D1noOY

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Iron Crowned posted:

I watched The Evil Dead in 4k yesterday (looks fantastic btw), and had the realization that 90's teens are probably the only group that had to experience movies like that in a very specific manner.

It was always an uncle, or in my case friend's uncle, who would "have a movie for you to watch." It was always one of those off mainstream horror movies, the Evil Deads, Dead Alives, etc. That would start you on the path to get a third hand copy of Faces of Death, and learn the world of horror beyond your Nightmare on Elm Streets.

Horror is just too mainstream, and muddled with cheap garbage, with easy access via streaming and the internet itself for that same experience. There are no horror movies that are only spoken of in myths and whispers anymore, and it's kinda sad.

A few pages back, but you kinda sorta have to go out of your way to find movies that either had a limited laserdisc release (lol) like From Beyond or even ones like The Abyss that don't even have a blu Ray version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

I reckon the 90s with the whole alternative music movement and all its permutations is the worst era for band names. What's the worst one? Cherry Poppin' Daddies is pretty bad but I have a particular dislike for Hoobastank.

It's so weird how alternative rock cycled through a couple of genres in the 90s. You had grunge first, then Britpop (Oasis, anyway) was very briefly the thing, then ska was briefly the thing (for, like, one summer), then swing was even more briefly the thing, and finally they settled on post-grunge, which I feel can be blamed on Creed more than Nickelback.

Ugh this is so spot on. I quit listening to commercial radio altogether around 2003-‘04 so I don’t really know what is trending. Is post grunge buttrock still the dominant thing in the genre?