Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Also literally millions of people probably died at the end of TLK when Cybertron collided with Earth.

And of course can’t forget the little detail of the ending revealing planet Earth is actually Unicron.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Zedd posted:

I rate them on a scale of how psycho Optimus acts so from the ones I've seen: 3 > 4 > 2
Haven't seen TLK yet and 1 is a sorta decent movie boy and his car movie under it all.

It's funny how Bay's series start with a degree of reverence for the Transformers with 1 and ends batshit like TLK. And for some reason, 1 and TLK are the only I really enjoy despite them being complete opposites.

Now... if only Norway could show Bumblebee instead of delaying the premiere to Jan.4th. I'm so envious of you all.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

AoE is a masterpiece.

I think it's by far the best of the Bayformers films, followed closely by TLK. AoE has Lockdown, Stanley Tucci, John Goodman, Mark Wahlberg, and Titus Weliver. The absence of that little gently caress Shia and his family bullshit automatically makes AoE and TLK better than the first three IMO. Lockdown was easily the most interesting villain in the series, too. I like how he was an intergalactic bounty hunter going around the universe jailing robots and aliens alike. His hatred of both the autobots and decepticons should have been explored a little more.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Arquinsiel posted:

TLK is when the manipulative sociopath Prime from DotM has been turned on by humans and hunted by his creator's agents, flips out and tries to murder god, fails, and comes back to earth as an avenging angel of cyber-genocide.
Well I know what I'm watching tomorrow. :getin:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Slutitution posted:

I think it's by far the best of the Bayformers films, followed closely by TLK. AoE has Lockdown, Stanley Tucci, John Goodman, Mark Wahlberg, and Titus Weliver. The absence of that little gently caress Shia and his family bullshit automatically makes AoE and TLK better than the first three IMO. Lockdown was easily the most interesting villain in the series, too. I like how he was an intergalactic bounty hunter going around the universe jailing robots and aliens alike. His hatred of both the autobots and decepticons should have been explored a little more.

Bay doesn't really do exploration. And Shia being just some fail-son whiteboy whose paling around with intergalactic robots is just a projection of his desperation to lay supermodels was a lot more appreciably grotesque to me than Wahlberg's character arc, the latter albeit being a rather natural evolution of it to just total incest projection.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Cade is Sam's true father

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

TLK is when the manipulative sociopath Prime from DotM has been turned on by humans and hunted by his creator's agents, flips out and tries to murder god, fails, and comes back to earth as an avenging angel of cyber-genocide.

I got to decapitate 7 robots working on it so that makes it the best transformers movie. :v:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

mashed_penguin posted:

I got to decapitate 7 robots working on it so that makes it the best transformers movie. :v:

You're doing god's work, son.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

mashed_penguin posted:

nice avi/post combo

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

mashed_penguin posted:

Which 7?
I mean I know the answer is “generic robot #577” but was it in any particular scenes?

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Which 7?
I mean I know the answer is “generic robot #577” but was it in any particular scenes?

Onslaught. And the 6 mini devilbots that prime wastes in one swipe. I can't remember what that characters name is dante or infernicus or something.

Snowman_McK posted:

You're doing god's work, son.

Thanks, for all the poo poo bayformers takes they are fun to work on for cg nerds.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

mashed_penguin posted:

Onslaught. And the 6 mini devilbots that prime wastes in one swipe. I can't remember what that characters name is dante or infernicus or something.

Infernicus

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

mashed_penguin posted:

Thanks, for all the poo poo bayformers takes they are fun to work on for cg nerds.

The CGI in these movies is a joy because it participates in the absolute misanthropy and madness of it all. I love the bit in Age of Extinction where Optimus grabs Tessa to 'shield' her and then drives her face-first through a truck.

Arquinsiel posted:

Will never stop repeating how great it is that Optimus Prime drifts through space, comatose, every single one of his systems disabled due to lack of power/temperature, except the most important...a constant looping broadcast of his vow to find and kill his creators.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 19, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Prime letting Chicago burn to make a point owns more than anything else he did in the series.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

General Battuta posted:

The CGI in these movies is a joy because it participates in the absolute misanthropy and madness of it all. I love the bit in Age of Extinction where Optimus grabs Tessa to 'shield' her and then drives her face-first through a truck.

Will never stop repeating how great it is that Optimus Prime drifts through space, comatose, every single one of his systems disabled due to lack of power/temperature, except the most important...a constant looping broadcast of his vow to find and kill his creators.

I worked on AoE as well and the first shots I did was the bit where prime wakes up in the barn and starts screaming I'LL KILL YOU. Then when he breaks a 1ft square beam across a dudes chest after he jumps out from under the floorboards. I didn't understand the brief for the shot correctly, the board was just supposed to crack a bit with some splinters. They liked it though so :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELr0mfa6H28&t=102s

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
TLK is awesome because Prime is a spiteful dick.

Prime: I must destroy Unicron to save Cybertron!
Megatron: I also must destroy Unicron to save Cybertron!
Prime: DEATH TO CYBERTRON DEATH TO QUINTESSA AUTOBOTS ROLL OUT FOR FREEDOM

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

mashed_penguin posted:

I worked on AoE as well and the first shots I did was the bit where prime wakes up in the barn and starts screaming I'LL KILL YOU. Then when he breaks a 1ft square beam across a dudes chest after he jumps out from under the floorboards. I didn't understand the brief for the shot correctly, the board was just supposed to crack a bit with some splinters. They liked it though so :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELr0mfa6H28&t=102s

Awesome. We can clearly see him displaying honor at the beginning, as well as honor to the end.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
The shot of that C.I.A. dude getting slammed in the head by the tire is so loving good.

I don't understand how people can't get the same enjoyment out of the insanity of these movies as they do Bad Boys II.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Killing TJ Miller quite early has since become a very good and cathartic thing for Bay to have done.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Calaveron posted:

Infernicus

Is a pretty badass name.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

mashed_penguin posted:

You will never stop bragging about this to me will you? :v:

K. Waste posted:

The shot of that C.I.A. dude getting slammed in the head by the tire is so loving good.

I don't understand how people can't get the same enjoyment out of the insanity of these movies as they do Bad Boys II.
I am slightly sad that they dropped the car being another secret autobot TBH. Also sad that the toy never showed up here, even if it was just a one-step changer.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

You will never stop bragging about this to me will you? :v:
I am slightly sad that they dropped the car being another secret autobot TBH. Also sad that the toy never showed up here, even if it was just a one-step changer.

The secret Autobot change must have been late because there are some really obvious shots of the car arriving at Cade's place without anyone driving it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Seems like he actually got a redeco of Generations Skids too, which would have been way cooler than the one-step changer. Ah well!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

There’s a movie within movie buried in TLK with Megatron getting his crew back together and doing evil poo poo and I’m sad we didn’t really get to see most of it. His negotiating for his crew and them getting introductions was so detached from the rest of the movie it was almost hilarious.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

You will never stop bragging about this to me will you? :v

Maybe if there is a bayformers 6 I will get to do 8 robot heads. Then I will stop.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There’s a movie within movie buried in TLK with Megatron getting his crew back together and doing evil poo poo and I’m sad we didn’t really get to see most of it. His negotiating for his crew and them getting introductions was so detached from the rest of the movie it was almost hilarious.

And all but one of them die in their first confrontation with the Autobots.

Also, the part of it where Megatron asks for one of them and the military is like 'No, he's too crazy' and Megatron is like 'Well, okay, fine, I'll take this other guy.'

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm not sure if it originated elsewhere first but the Decepticon intros are incredibly similar to the driver intros in direct to dvd classic, Death Race 2.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

mashed_penguin posted:

Maybe if there is a bayformers 6 I will get to do 8 robot heads. Then I will stop.
Imma hold you to that.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There’s a movie within movie buried in TLK with Megatron getting his crew back together and doing evil poo poo and I’m sad we didn’t really get to see most of it. His negotiating for his crew and them getting introductions was so detached from the rest of the movie it was hilarious.
FTFY.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

One thing I really wish they would do is to real warts and all behind the scenes stuff vs marketing features. I think a lot of transformers fans would enjoy stuff like deep dives through the cg assets built for the movies. Some of the details are amazing.

Sadly there doesn't seem to be any appetite these days for that level of behind the scenes stuff from the movie studio level.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rhyno posted:

I'm not sure if it originated elsewhere first but the Decepticon intros are incredibly similar to the driver intros in direct to dvd classic, Death Race 2.

The latest Death Race that’s on Netflix does the same thing. Also the Decepticon intros bit was the best scene in TLK.

Speaking of, the latest Death Race was shockingly coherent and *way* more gratuitously rated-R than I was expecting, and not just with violence and gore (although it had a lot of that, too). They also designed all new cars (unlike Death Race 2 and 3, which just re-used the cars from the first one), which was a nice touch.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Are we talking Death Race 2050 'cause that poo poo was dope

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

No, Death Race: Beyond Anarchy, the third sequel to the Paul WS Anderson remake that had Jason Statham.

I’ll defend the hell out of the remake, too. It had seriously excellent practical car carnage that went unmatched until Mad Max Fury Road.

I mean, check this poo poo out:

https://youtu.be/Lsy2voFnauA

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Anderson's death race is definitely good.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

No, Death Race: Beyond Anarchy, the third sequel to the Paul WS Anderson remake that had Jason Statham.

I’ll defend the hell out of the remake, too. It had seriously excellent practical car carnage that went unmatched until Mad Max Fury Road.

I mean, check this poo poo out:

https://youtu.be/Lsy2voFnauA

Jesus, this editing. I don't have any complex critique it just seems exceptionally fast.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

mashed_penguin posted:

One thing I really wish they would do is to real warts and all behind the scenes stuff vs marketing features. I think a lot of transformers fans would enjoy stuff like deep dives through the cg assets built for the movies. Some of the details are amazing.

Sadly there doesn't seem to be any appetite these days for that level of behind the scenes stuff from the movie studio level.

I still have my Lord of the Rings DVDs, which include all 8 billion concept drawings for every single character, soldier and location. I'd love something like that for the last several Transformers movies. As well as some fly on the wall docos

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Bumblebee good.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Holy crap Bumblebee was fantastic.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Has Bay ever explained why all of his Transformer movies seem to just wildly and inexplicably change aspect ratios, sometimes within the same scene?

Does the Bumblebee movie keep this feature?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Pussy Quipped posted:

Has Bay ever explained why all of his Transformer movies seem to just wildly and inexplicably change aspect ratios, sometimes within the same scene?

I don’t remember all of them doing it, just TLK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Pussy Quipped posted:

IMAX. The Dark Knight movies change aspects too when they switch back and forth from the scenes shot on imax.