Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Panthrax posted:

The state of Ohio is going to be accepting Bitcoin for paying taxes. Well see how it works out I guess.

That is one of the last states I would have expected to be first if anyone was going to be. I bet the state only credits the value that they get for the coins so people end up having to pay double taxes as the state inevitably sits on them for a year before liquidating them all at once getting almost nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

pixaal posted:

That is one of the last states I would have expected to be first if anyone was going to be. I bet the state only credits the value that they get for the coins so people end up having to pay double taxes as the state inevitably sits on them for a year before liquidating them all at once getting almost nothing.

It's also a pretty good way to put a name to a wallet number.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Inspector_666 posted:

It's also a pretty good way to put a name to a wallet number.

That makes no sense since you can just generate wallets

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
That sounds like when your local police station has a yacht raffle.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

SEKCobra posted:

That makes no sense since you can just generate wallets

Sure you could still launder the money through shell wallets but you forget: People are both dumb and lazy.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
We're officially up to "at least one hotfix deployment a day", to the point where we have an officially designated hotfix team each sprint that rotates.

At what point do you just admit that QA is clearly not doing a drat thing and we really should just burn our process to the ground and start fresh.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

BaronVonVaderham posted:

We're officially up to "at least one hotfix deployment a day", to the point where we have an officially designated hotfix team each sprint that rotates.

At what point do you just admit that QA is clearly not doing a drat thing and we really should just burn our process to the ground and start fresh.

If you solely rely on your QA team to catch hotfix-priority bugs then your process failed well before things got to QA. I would agree it's time to readdress your process.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pixaal posted:

As hilarious as loving with coiners would be, I’m sure it’s more along the lines of how Walmart did it before they dropped it as a failed experiment. They use a middle-man broker who accepts the coins and gives the state cash-money.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Inspector_666 posted:

Sure you could still launder the money through shell wallets but you forget: People are both dumb and lazy.

Also transfers from the wallet you used to pay taxes to the shell wallets would be permanently recorded on a public ledger, iirc.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Hungry Computer posted:

Also transfers from the wallet you used to pay taxes to the shell wallets would be permanently recorded on a public ledger, iirc.

That's the entire basis for blockchain, every transaction is broadcast to the network and signed by the network. You can trace every buttcoin around everywhere, from a single shared database.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Hungry Computer posted:

I did think you could just track every year's payment (assuming anybody bothers more than once) back to the "root wallet" but I didn't want to be accused of nonsense again.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Gawd damnit, $user, you don't "post to" a mass email, you send a mass email.

How can people who use computers every day not know how email works?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

dragonshardz posted:

Gawd damnit, $user, you don't "post to" a mass email, you send a mass email.

How can people who use computers every day not know how email works?

I’ve got some hard truths we need to talk about friend. :fireman:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Apparently there is an issue with a section of our website/mobile app that makes a connection through our website host back to internal server inside out network across a VPN to a device they provide. For years that has run fine, in fact its easy to forget its there.
Last week, our CIO came up to our department (networking) and asked us to get on a call immediately. We jump on and find out that we just got invited into a shitstorm, apparently there are a lot of people getting disconnects and errors when accessing this. The developers/hosting company are instantly pointing the finger at us, saying that they have a ton of errors that mean its the network, but not their gear, just ours.
We get very little information from them on their equipment, no details on the errors, or anything helpful. We don't even find out that traffic is coming from 2 different data centers until day 3.

One of them is positive its a routing issue. So, that night we drop one of our bgp neighbors to force traffic across one provider. Then turn it back up in the morning. Apparently the results are better.
Next night, we do the same, connection actually gets a little worse.

Day 3's call starts off, and one of their guys asks us to plug their router directly into whatever gear provides a connection to us. We explain that we can't, since we:
A. use those connections during the day, and
B. can't do that because its not like its a dsl modem there.
We explain that we have a switch where internet facing gear is plugged into, it gets a public IP and then goes out across our core router.

Then this..loving waste of skin goes: well, we need a static IP and a direction connection, and I don't know what troubleshooting we can. We explain again and he finally goes quiet.

Day 4: Yet another call, but now more managers have joined. To provide insight. Waste of skin once again pops up, asks the same loving thing, but now he has a larger audience and one of our dipshit managers goes "well, why haven't you done that." Jesus.

End of the call, one of the provider support guys pops up and says, this is weird, we haven't seen any errors for 4 hours now. Usually we have a couple an hour, and now there isn't any errors.

I wonder if that will keep up tonight, as someone fixed something without admitting it, or it was a fluke. Who knows!

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

“Trouble came clear while testing” is the way at&t used to describe those miracles.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Antioch posted:

You know how a lot of places have the magic word for all computer based problems? THE SERVER or THE DATABASE like "Hey internet is down is the server rebooting?" or "My files are missing, did someone do something to the database?"

Here, it's THE SCRIPT. Spoken of reverentially, and always assumed to be omnipresent, omnipotent, and in charge of every single good or bad thing in the company.

Files missing? THE SCRIPT
Need someone added to a distribution list? Run THE SCRIPT
Internet slow? Time to check THE SCRIPT

And I mean yeah, I do a lot of Powershell here. But not the kind end users ever see. I'm willing to bet 80% of our users couldn't successfully *spell* Powershell.

Haha, here its "the network".

Currently we're doing some uploads where we upload a (get this) 3mb file at most to an outside source. Occasionally the whole thing doesn't go through and it'll stop on a random row of the file and report it broken, then you reupload and its fine! This happens literally everywhere unless you're uploading it directly next to our developers server. I've had it happen to me when i've been working at home.

Every time I mention it, I get told "yeah its your network".

But bro, i've got a solid consistent upload. "It's your network".

But i'm not going through any company hardware now and its still happening! "Its your network".

I'm literally working from home! "Have you tried when not connected to the domain?".

ARE YOU READING WHAT I'M TYPING TO YOU, YOU loving MORON.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Had a discussion that lasted for several weeks from somebody who was insisting their connectivity was bad when Remote Desktop users were having a poor experience.

We did some troubleshooting and it turned out that everybody on one host had a problem at the same time - even if they were working from home. Everybody on a different host would also have problems at the same time as each other, regardless of where they were connecting from. This apparently wasn’t conclusive enough for the contact at that company, who insisted the bargain-basement VPS that was acting as a RDP host couldn’t have been at fault, but never really managed to explain why.

It all went a bit quiet and then a few weeks later we got a complaint about “slow internet”…when people were doing a Speedtest from inside the RDP session. The guy continued to insist this was something we were responsible for as the provider of connectivity into his office.

Somebody more patient than me could probably have explained it to the guy using suitable analogies.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Virigoth posted:

I’ve got some hard truths we need to talk about friend. :fireman:

It was a rhetorical question.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

dragonshardz posted:

It was a rhetorical question.

Is that our new email program we post to?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
One of our senior managers in a nontechnical role (senior position, he’s in his mid-20’s) always refers to distribution groups as listservs. I have no idea where he could have learned that term but every time I get a ticket from him having something to do with distribution groups I :3:

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Interesting. Usually you can tell the super old people because they leave the "e" off the end ("LISTSERV" = 8 characters) and the people who hear about it from the old folks spell it "listserve."

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

skooma512 posted:

I missed some of the food at the holiday lunch on Friday as I was late getting to the place because an install took 40 minutes instead of 10.

Meanwhile other people got to "work" from home, wake up late, and mosey on down to lunch.

Had this happen today to me & a few others - big catered lunch but 2/3 of our team decided to go at once leaving 5 of us behind to deal with work. The boss asks why we didn't go & acts all shocked when we point out there's poo poo to be done & we've been told countless times to not let so many people break at once. Then again its the same rear end in a top hat boss who'll get on our case about overdue work but never pitches in to help or find us any additional help.

Good job boss, now you know why everyone hates this job & the last 3 contractors left after less than a month. Systemic problems don't fix themselves regardless what some glorified team lead jackoff might think.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Aunt Beth posted:

One of our senior managers in a nontechnical role (senior position, he’s in his mid-20’s) always refers to distribution groups as listservs. I have no idea where he could have learned that term but every time I get a ticket from him having something to do with distribution groups I :3:

I called them reflectors for the longest time because that’s what they were called on the Alphas my University ran everything off of when I started.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Ok so I'm pretty sure I'm Inceptioning right now because here's what I'm currently force to work on:

Layer 1) My actually Windows 10 laptop - Language English, us Keyboard
Layer 2) Windows 10 VM - Language English, us Keyboard
Layer 3) RDP to Windows 2016 Server (evaluation edition) - Language English, uk (Irish, maybe?) Keyboard
Layer 4) VCenter console in Chrome to a Windows 10 VM - Language English, US Keyboard
Layer 5) SSH via Putty to a RHEL7 server - Locale = Italy, it keyboard
:smith:

Please end my life.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

that is amazing and horrifying all at the same time.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

MF_James posted:

that is amazing and horrifying all at the same time.

Security and network segregation is a hell of a drug.

Also, not this time, but last time I had to deal with this, the linux server has a @ in the password, which in an italian keyboard requires LEFT-ALT, which is a modifer not present on a US keyboard. And since you can't copy and paste into the VMWare java console....

I had to reboot the RHEL server into single usermode, and reset the root password to be able to get in and change the local.

I provided some feedback on the to my Italian based ops team that distributes these VMs, and tell them what happened so it doesn't happen again. Their response was to put a password on GRUB.

:negative:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Some idiot dropped a dime bag in the bathroom at work and now upper upper management is on the warpath. Merry Christmas to all ugh.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
What was it a bag of? Relentless curiousity into the weekend they had planned :>

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

dime bag I assume weed, are you from some where dime and nickel bags of weed weren't a thing? ($10 and $5)

I guess it could be for other drugs but I've never heard of dime/nickel bags of coke or anything like that just weed.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

MF_James posted:

dime bag I assume weed, are you from some where dime and nickel bags of weed weren't a thing? ($10 and $5)

I guess it could be for other drugs but I've never heard of dime/nickel bags of coke or anything like that just weed.

nickel, dime, eighth, and quarter

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0mOY7OMHh4

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

MF_James posted:

The latter. Was referred to for the quantity of the bag, not necessarily for what was in it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I was all set to roll out of here for the holiday and then I realized I lost my bag of weed somewhere. Hope nobody finds it!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Bless weed being legal up here.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

The Fool posted:

nickel, dime, eighth, and quarter

Yeah but eighth/quarter I have definitely heard for other drugs (mushrooms/coke maybe other stuff) literally never heard of dime/nickel bags of anything but weed; poo poo I haven't heard anyone say dime/nickel bag in a loooooong loving time.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Inflation.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I feel like these days any dealer who’s not selling to high school kids isn’t going to waste their time on $5-10 buys.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

But I want my nickel bag of chitownbrown

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
It was weed. Preemptive: Yes, I learned that in drug school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

tactlessbastard posted:

Some idiot dropped a dime bag in the bathroom at work and now upper upper management is on the warpath. Merry Christmas to all ugh.

Drug tests for everyone who's title doesn't begin with chief