Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

Looks as if luck is against you! You fall way short of the boy’s reaching hands.

Instead, you bang into the wall, then crash to the floor.

You lie there, frozen. The lion-bull-eagle beast clomps closer. It growls in triumph.

Then the beast leaps backwards suddenly, yelping in pain. It paws at its nose.

What happened? Well – maybe luck is with you after all!

You look up. The boy is still leaning over the wall. He holds a slingshot in his hand.

“Try again!” he yells.

You scramble to your feet. The patchwork beast lets out a furious roar.

Zing! Something flies past your ear. The beast yelps again. Bull’s-eye! Right in the snout!

You leap again. A hand catches your wrist and hauls you up.

But the lion-creature is right behind you!

quote:

Huge jaws snap hungrily just inches below your feet. But then you’re safe on the other side of the wall. The patchwork creature roars again. It clomps off to the right.

You stare at the kid who helped you. He’s bigger than you are, and older.

“Wh-who are you?” you babble. “What are you doing here?”

He grins. “It’s a long story. To start with, my name is Bob.”

You introduce yourself, but he’s not really listening. “That lion-thing knows its way through this maze. It’s going to find us if we stick around. What do you say we get out of here?”

Sounds like a great idea to you.

Bob starts leading you through the maze. “There’s more of us trapped down here,” he explains. “We’ve got a kind of camp set up.”

He gives you a long stare. “I think everyone will be glad to see you,” he announces. “Very glad.”

quote:

Bob moves confidently through the maze. In some areas, though, he motions for you to be quiet. You tiptoe along. And you notice that he keeps his slingshot ready.

“This maze is an abandoned subbasement for the whole block,” Bob explains. “It’s full of crazy, mixed-up animals. Each has its own hunting ground.”

“And you fight them with that?” You point to Bob’s slingshot.

Bob shrugs. “It’s all we’ve got,” he admits. “I was lucky with the lion-thing. It just hates getting hit in the nose!”

Soon after, a weird noise echoes through the maze. SHHHHH! SHHHH!

Bob stops. His face turns pale.

“What –“ you begin.

He shakes his hand at you. “Quiet!” he whispers.

Bob seems to be listening carefully. You realize he’s trying to figure out where the sound is coming from.

At last he makes up his mind. “It’ll be here in a second,” he whispers. “Come on.”

He boosts you up to the top of the wall, then leaps himself.

And misses! He bangs against the plywood. Then you hear a loud hissing sound.

quote:

Bob jumps again, and you help him over.

“Get down!” he whispers.

But at that moment, the beast arrives. You freeze in terror.

Now you know what was making that weird rustling noise.

The creature has the body of a giant snake. But its head is human.

Sort of.

In place of hair, hundreds of tiny snakes wriggle on its scalp!

A hand grabs your ankle and yanks you down. Bob drags you along in silence through several corridors. Then he finally speaks up. “Pretty awful, huh? That’s probably the most dangerous monster in the maze. It wraps around you, crushing every bone in your body. Then it swallows you. Whole!”

quote:

Shuddering, you follow Bob. The angry hissing of the snake creature fades. But you find yourself glancing back every few steps. Anything that sounds like a scrape freezes your blood. You don’t want to see that thing ever again!

All too soon, Bob halts.

“Wait here,” he says, pointing to a doorway. “I’ll get Russell.”

“Who’s Russell?” you ask. “And why do I have to wait?”

“Russell is our leader,” Bob replies. “He decides whether or not you can join us. Until then, you’re not allowed in our camp.”

He looks you over again. “Don’t worry, though. I think you’re just what we need.”

Bob goes off, leaving you by the doorway.

This is great, you think. You’re lost in a maze where giant snake-monsters rule. And now you have to wait! Alone!

Or do you?

If you follow Bob, turn to PAGE 131.

If you obey him and wait, turn to PAGE 20.

For no apparent reason, our rescuer's name changes depending on whether we successfully grab his hand or not. I'm honestly not sure whether this was intentional or if Stine forgot what name he used and couldn't be bothered to go back and check.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 2/4

Bad Endings
Hunted down and devoured by a pair of cannibalistic children.
Yanked into a pool of black goo by a lizard-monster's tongue.
Absorbed by Milo's Glob transformation.
Transformed into King Jellyjam and forced to perform in Milo's show.
Eaten by Milo's King Jellyjam transformation after failing to kill him.
Ran into a dead end and got our head twisted off by Frankenstein.
Eaten by a hybrid monster while trying to save our rescuer.

Achievements
Easy One, Doesn't Count: Got a goal ending on our first try for the second time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Let’s be trusting

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
I'm no expert, but that hybrid creature looks like it might be a lamassu? A rather obscure reference at the time.

Also, this thing's suddenly become the Maze Runner.

Obey, and hope we don''t end up in a young-adult dystopian novel.

PumpkinBat fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Dec 20, 2018

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

PumpkinBat posted:

Obey, and hope we don''t end up in a young-adult dystopian novel.

Too late! And I'll admit, my thoughts jumped straight to Maze Runner when I was rereading this section too.

quote:

You wait for a long time. Just when you’re about to give up and wander off, Bob returns with another older boy. “This is Russell,” he says.

The big boss is tall and skinny, with thick glasses. As he gazes down at you, you’re reminded of a stork you once saw in a zoo.

Russell bursts into a big smile. “Perfect, Bob!” he exclaims. “Just the right size.”

You don’t like the sound of that. Your Uncle Mel always says the same thing about the turkey at Thanksgiving dinner. “What am I perfect for?” you demand.

“I can’t tell you – yet,” Russell says mysteriously. “Anyway, I’ve got to test you first.”

Test me?” you cry in disbelief.

“Yes,” Russell goes on. “I want you to bend your right leg up till you can catch hold of your ankle with your right hand.”

“Are you serious?” you demand.

“Totally,” Russell replies. “Do it, or you don’t get in.”

You heard Russell. Standing on one leg, bend your right foot back and try to catch your ankle.

If you succeed, turn to PAGE 79.

If you fail, turn to PAGE 133.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements
Easy One, Doesn't Count: Got a goal ending on our first try for the second time.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Okay wait hang on.

Yep

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Well, at least this success/fail choice isn't as dumb as the ones in the Screaming Knight book.

Succeed.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Well, at least this success/fail choice isn't as dumb as the ones in the Screaming Knight book.

I'd class it more as a challenge than a choice, since it's asking us to try and do something in real life (though ignoring that and picking the one we want is obviously an option). Plus, it's something we actually have control over, as opposed to abruptly deciding the flight path of a transformed bird-monster or choosing whether our friends are next to us when we wake up.

quote:

Russell almost bursts into applause when you catch your ankle. “You’re just the person we need!” he cries. He turns to Bob. “Quick, get the others. We’ll be leaving right away!”

Leaving? You were hoping you could stay at their camp. Somehow, it sounds safer than the rest of the maze.

And another thing. “Why am I just the person you need?” you ask suspiciously.

“Because of your size,” Russell answers. “Everybody in our group is too big.”

A shiver runs down your spine. “Too big for what?” you want to know.

Russell looks one way, then the other. He almost seems afraid he’ll be overheard. “We think we found a way out of here!” he whispers. “But it will only work for a little person!”

quote:

A way out?

“Count me in!” you shout. Your heart starts to thump in your chest. There might be a way out of this maze of horrors!

Then you start to wonder. Why is Russell treating it like a deep, dark secret?

Russell sees the look on your face and explains.

“We’re not taking the whole group – only a few. I don’t want to raise people’s hopes. Besides, it will be safer this way.”

“Safer?” you gulp. Taking a small group through a maze full of killer creatures doesn’t sound safe to you. You’d be happier in a large group – say, an army.

Why does Russell think only a handful of people would be better?

When you ask, Russell replies, “I don’t want to draw attention to us – either from the guy upstairs, or from the maze creatures. They’d be sure to spot a big crowd passing through their hunting grounds.” Russell shakes his head. “And that would be bad, because where we’re going is the most dangerous part of the maze!”

quote:

You gulp. Now you wish you hadn’t been so eager to volunteer. But it’s too late to back out. Bob appears with two more bigger kids – Dan and Alicia. “Let’s go!” he exclaims.

The five of you set off. They keep you in the middle. You feel happy about that. Then you realize your “new friends” have a reason for keeping you safe. You’re the only one who’ll fit through Russell’s way out.

You wind through the maze. Bob leads, his slingshot ready. Everybody glances nervously around.

Then you hear a loud squishing sound.

“Oh, no!” Russell cries. “It’s found us!”

Around the corner comes another horrible creature. This one has the body of a slug and a head like a giant squid!

Alicia grabs you as the thing rears back – and spits!

quote:

A big gob of goo flies from the creature’s mouth. It misses you, but lands on the wall behind you. Immediately, the plywood starts to bubble and hiss! The thing's spit must be acid! If it had touched you...

“Run!” Russell shouts.

Alicia drags you around the corner. After a couple of minutes of running, the group slows down. “It’s dangerous, but it’s not fast,” Alicia pants.

Ahead, Russell and Bob are arguing in whispers. Russell turns to all of you. “The Spitter is blocking the path we plan to take,” he explains. “I think we should circle around it even though that means spending more time in the Danger Zone.” He points at a doorway in the plywood wall. “But Bob thinks we can cut through here. The problem is, none of us have been through this part of the maze before.”

Russell looks at your little group. “We’ll take a vote. Which way do you want to go?”

If you go along with Russell, turn to PAGE 24.

If you think Bob has a better idea, turn to PAGE 128.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Follow Russell!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3D7Y_ycSms

chitoryu12 posted:

Follow Russell!

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Yeah, let’s follow Russel

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You trust Russell. After all, he’s the leader. Alicia and Dan agree. The group starts to circle around. But after the first set of zigzags, Russell stops. “Spiderwebs,” he whispers.

What’s the big deal? you wonder. Spiders aren’t so scary, compared to the maze monsters.

You peek around the corner – and gasp. The whole hallway is blocked by a giant spiderweb! Sitting in the middle, its eyes gleaming, is a spider the size of a German Shepherd.

The group sneaks away and tries another path. You walk and turn, turn and walk...

At last you come to a room that’s different from the rest. The far wall isn’t plywood – it’s brick!

Russell climbs on Bob’s shoulders. He pries out a few of the bricks. Hey, there’s a hole in the wall. A tunnel!

High above, you see a gleam of bright sunlight.

Everyone turns to you. “It’s up to you,” Russell tells you solemnly. “You’re the only one who can save us.”

quote:

Heart beating, you push past your friends – and into darkness. There’s not much room. You’re hemmed in tight. But you can see a light up ahead.

You pay attention to nothing else, working toward it. The light becomes dazzling. Blindly, you shove your way forward, feeling squashed and breathless.

You can’t move! Are you trapped?

With a desperate wriggle, you force yourself a few inches forward.

Then, like a cork popping out of a bottle, you’re through!

You tumble flat on your face. Rough concrete scratches against your cheek. You feel sun on your back. You’re free!

Scrambling to your feet, you dash along a back alley and out into the street. “Help!” you yell. “Kidnapping! Monsters!”

Passerby on the street turn around. You gape in horror.

These people have skin like dark green leather. They have giant, honeycombed eyes. Like insects. And they don’t talk.

They buzz!

quote:

You jump back with a horrified scream. These creatures aren’t human! They’re... bugs!

Oddly enough, when they see you, the bug-people leap back too. They raise sticklike arms in front of their faces. Their buzzing suddenly becomes very shrill.

I must look as scary to them as they do to me! you realize. Fighting back your own terror, you manage a friendly smile. What do good aliens say in sci-fi comics? Oh, right.

“I come in peace,” you call.

Too bad the bug-people don’t speak English. Their buzzing rises to a shriek as you walk toward them. You grab your ears at the shrill sounds of hundreds of alien screams. It’s worse than the whine of a dentist’s drill!

quote:

“Please,” you beg. “I need help. My friends are trapped –“

Still shrieking, the bug-people start backing away.

“Noooo!” you shout. You run after them. But they jump like huge crickets – twenty feet at a leap! In a couple of blocks, the bug-people leave you far behind.

But one of them can’t jump away. He – or it – is trapped under an overturned cart. It looks like a rolling hot-dog stand, except the franks are wriggling wormlike things.

You lean over the trapped alien. “Listen to me –“ you begin.

The bug-person flops back. It’s fainted!

Clearly, you’re not going to get any help here. You’ll have to go back to the basement and rescue your friends yourself.

But – how do you get back? How can you find the alley where you arrived on this world? As you gaze around, you realize that all the buildings are identical. Hivelike.

It seems you’re stuck on this strange world... a world where you’re the monster.

Oh, well. Don’t bug out!

THE END

By the way, pushing ahead of Cammie through the mirror takes us directly to the second page of this ending, so we're checking off two choices at once here.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
:siren:Trapped in a world of insect people with no way home.:siren:

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Check out the comic rack.
  • Follow Bob through the doorway.
  • Fail to grab our ankle.
  • Vote to take Bob's shortcut.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

....that was weird.

Bob, save us.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Uhhh. Didn’t see that coming.

chitoryu12 posted:

Bob, save us.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Bob, please.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You’ll go with Bob. After all, he saved you from the lion-bull-eagle monster. He knows what he’s doing.

“Everybody for Bob’s route, raise your hand,” Russell calls.

You raise your hand. So do Dan and Alicia. Bob’s shortcut wins! Russell seems annoyed, but he doesn’t say anything.

As you file along Bob’s route, you notice that the walls of the maze are covered in gray gunk. It looks like mold. In some places there are piles of it on the floor.

“Have you ever seen this stuff before?” Russell asks Bob.

The other boy shakes his head. “No, and we shouldn’t take any chances with it. Nobody touch the walls.”

The stuff has a sharp, peppery smell. Your nose twitches as you move into a room where it coats the walls thickly.

It’s too much. You can’t help yourself. “AAAAAH-CHOOO!

Your sneeze blows a clump of the mold loose from the walls. It swirls around you in a gray cloud.

But it doesn’t act like any cloud you’ve ever seen. Instead of spreading out, it gathers in, circling around you and your friends.

Then the cloud breaks into five separate clouds. One for each of you!

quote:

Tiny gray dots swirl around you. They land, covering your arms, your hands, your face.

You try to brush the stuff away. It won’t come off!

“Bugs!” Russell yells in horror. “They’re teeny, tiny bugs!

You feel a creepy-crawly sensation on your skin. Then it starts to sting – like millions of pinpricks. You blink your eyes and hold your nose, trying to keep the bugs away. But you feel suddenly weak. It’s as though these tiny things are sucking the juices right out of you!

Alicia keels over, hitting the floor. She’s covered in gray gunk. She looks just like those piles of mold you passed in the other rooms.

You must look like one too, you think as you fall.

And soon, that’s all you’ll be...

THE END

If it's any consolation, we've almost reached 200 bad endings!

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Trapped in a world of insect people with no way home.
:siren:Drained to a husk by millions of tiny gray bugs.:siren:

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Fail to grab our ankle.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Alright, I’m ready to check out the comic rack .

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Fail to grab our ankle!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Let's follow Bob.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Let’s go read some comic books

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
actually I'm a clumsy piece of poo poo

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I'll change my vote to fail to grab our leg and break the tie.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You stretch and stretch. But you can’t grab your ankle in your hand.

“Sorry, you failed the test,” Russell says. “You’ll have to go.”

Go? This nerdy-looking guy wants you to face this dangerous maze alone?

You’re furious! You argue, shout, then plead. But Bob and Russell won’t take you to their hideout.

“Fine!” you yell at last. “I can make it on my own. I’ve done all right so far.”

You stomp off. You’re so mad, you aren’t paying attention to where you’re going. And you’re making lots of noise.

Still fuming, you step through a doorway and trip over something. It’s long, cool, and scaly.

Oops! You just bumped into the snake-creature again!

quote:

You try to run, but the snake-thing moves fast.

Its scaly body catches you in the shins. You stumble and fall to the floor. Before you can get up, the thing twists around you.

You can’t move an arm or a leg. Thick coils of muscle have you all tied up.

The snake-thing’s human face stares into your eyes as its grip slowly tightens.

The creature’s lips stretch in an evil smile.

“You’re sssso ssssmall, I should let you grow a bit more,” it hisses.

“Really?” you squeak.

The snake’s smile grows bigger and wider until its mouth is large enough to swallow you whole.

“Naaaah,” the snake replies. “Just kidding!”

GULP!

THE END

I probably won't post anything on Christmas, so I might do a second update later tonight depending on how many people have voted by then.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Drained to a husk by millions of tiny gray bugs.
:siren:Eaten in one bite by a snake woman.:siren:

Achievements
:siren:Trial and Error... and Error... and Error...: Encountered a total of 200 bad endings.:siren:

Our options posted:

Rebonack7 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 24, 2018

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Follow Bob.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Nothing good has come from meeting Bob and Russell! :argh:

AweStriker posted:

Follow Bob.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

AweStriker posted:

Follow Bob.

Sure, let’s see all of the possible ways that this could go poorly.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

AweStriker posted:

Follow Bob.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“I’m not going to hang around like an idiot!” you fume.

You step through the opening. Now, which way did Bob go?

There’s yet another hallway. At the far end is a room.

As you scout around, you realize that this room is different. The walls are the same old plywood. But there’s a trapdoor in the middle of the concrete floor!

Your heart beats faster. Could it be the way out?

You’ve got to investigate! The door is made of wood, with a big metal handle. You grab hold and heave.

quote:

The trap door flies open more easily than you expected. You drop to your knees, eager to explore whatever is down there.

But there’s no way down! No stairs. No ladder. Not even a rope to climb.

Fog seeps up through the open trap door. As the misty wisps touch you, you shiver. You’ve never felt anything so cold!

On instinct, you try to leap for the doorway. But it’s already too late. Your muscles won’t obey. They’re frozen!

The fog is all around you now. A thin film of ice forms on your skin. Dimly, you notice Bob and another boy, peering through the doorway at you.

“You were right, Bob. It was a trap,” the strange boy says. “That kid was just what we needed. Better a stranger should get hurt than one of us.”

That’s all you hear. Then the icicles on your front half pull you off balance. You topple forward. Into the dark hole.

SPLOOSH! You plunge into icy black water. A swift current whirls you away. What’s happening? you wonder foggily.

Then you pass out.

quote:

When you wake up again, the first thing you notice is that you’re really cold.

The second thing you notice is that you’re lying on a metal table. Surrounded by people in white coats.

You blink. “What’s up?” you ask. “Where am I?”

“The kid’s alive,” a man cries. “It’s a medical miracle!”

As it turns out, the people in white coats are scientists, studying the ice in Antarctica. Imagine their surprise when they found you – frozen into one of the icebergs. Alive!

No one knows how you got all the way to Antarctica. Or how you stayed alive inside your ice coating. For the next two weeks, you’re poked and prodded by dozens of doctors.

Finally they give up and send you home.

That’s when the newspapers and TV stations start calling. They all want the life story of the Icekid.

And they offer you big bucks!

Soon you have so much money you don’t know how to spend it all. Well, actually, you’ve got a few ideas.

Starting with a trip to a comic book store...

THE END

It's not exactly a goal ending, but it's the best we're going to get out of this filler sub-route.

Anyway, since we're down to our last choice, might as well go ahead and get started on the comic rack route. Consider it a slightly early Christmas present!

quote:

You’ve got to see if that two-dollar comic is really the famous first issue of Super-Doer. But when you grab the spinner rack, it starts to turn – by itself! Still worse, the metal rack seems to have glued itself to your hand. You can’t let go!

Your jaw drops as the moving rack yanks you off your feet. You’re dragged around in a circle. And the rack keeps speeding up.

Soon, to your horror, you can’t touch the floor anymore. It’s like some sort of weird carnival ride. The rack is whizzing around, and you’re flying through the air!

“Hey! Hey, mister!” you yell to the storeowner. But the words are torn from your lips by a screaming wind. You feel as if you’re caught in a tornado.

You clench your teeth to keep from groaning. Your body is stretched out, like you’re a warm piece of taffy. You shift your grip. One hand touches a comic on the rack.

The comic starts to glow. Now, suddenly, there’s a new pull.

You’re being sucked into the glowing comic!

quote:

Your body feels as if giants have been using you for a game of tug-of-war. You’re sick and dizzy from the spinning. But you notice something is wrong. The world seems strangely flat. The colors are very bright. You peer up at an incredibly blue sky.

Sky? Wait a minute! How did you get outside?

An elbow jabs you. Someone steps on your foot. You aren’t just outside – you’re in a crowd. And what a crowd! You’re packed in so tightly, you can barely move. The person behind you is actually breathing down your neck.

Could this be a parade?

“What’s going on?” you ask.

No one answers you. But a voice cries, “Here it comes!”

A shadow falls across you. When you see what’s blocking the sunlight, your eyes grow big. It’s a gigantic tin can – with arms, legs, and a head. No – it’s a robot!

“I don’t believe this!” you gasp in a strangled voice.

You’d better believe it. That thing is as big as a skyscraper. And it’s striding straight for you!

quote:

“Yikes!” you shout. “Everybody run!”

You push. You shove. You try to get out of the giant robot’s path. But the crowd is too thick. You’re trapped.

“Hey!” a whiny voice says in your ear. “I know you!”

You turn and spot a familiar face in the crowd. It’s a kid from school named Wally. Come to think about it, he hasn’t been in class lately.

“Where are we?” you cry. “What’s going on?”

“You just got here on the spinner-rack express, huh?” Wally asks. “Okay, I’ll make this fast. You’re stuck inside a comic – in the Comic Books Universe.”

You roll your eyes. “Yeah, right.”

“It’s true!” Wally insists. “Now here’s the deal. We can shift from comic to comic, using a magic word. But if you use it too often, you’ll turn into an inkblot.” He shudders. “It happened to the kid I was with. Alex. He tried to leave this comic. Now he’s just a smear.”

You glance anxiously at the robot. It’s awfully close.

“We’ll be smeared too if we don’t get out of here!” you declare.

quote:

The crowd still isn’t moving, and the robot is only a couple of giant steps away.

“Have you used these magic words?” you ask.

Wally nods. “I started out in another comic. I was some superhero’s dopey sidekick. Then I met Alex, and we came here. All you have to do is think of another comic, and say the magic words.”

“Okay. That gets you to another comic. But isn’t there a way to get back home? Back to the real universe?” you ask.

Wally glances at you. “I think so. A mad scientist can send you. But you have to talk him into helping you.”

You can barely hear him. People are screaming and bumping into you. “What’re the magic words?” you beg.

Wally closes his eyes, thinking. Then he yells, “Guest shot!”

And he disappears!

You think of the two comics you’d been studying on the comic rack. Both of them have mad-scientist villains. Will the magic words take you to them?

Time to find out! You close your eyes.

To visit the world of Super-Doer, go to PAGE 104.

If you like Ballistic Bug better, turn to PAGE 66.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Eaten in one bite by a snake woman.

Achievements
Trial and Error... and Error... and Error...: Encountered a total of 200 bad endings.
:siren:Cold Storage: Escaped the monster maze by getting caught in a poorly-designed trap.:siren:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I hope Bob the Betrayer is still stuck in the maze in that ending. :argh:

Let's be Super.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

I hope Super-Doer includes a reference to the Masked Mutant.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ballistic Bug!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“Guest shot!” you yell.

When you open your eyes, you’re standing beside an office tower that’s still being built. The crowd is gone. The robot is gone. You’re all alone.

“This is bizarre,” you mutter.

A voice suddenly yells, “Heads up!”

Of course, you look up. A falling brick hits you right between the eyes.

And bounces off!

You goggle in disbelief. That brick should’ve killed you. But it felt like a leaf being blown against you!

You look down at yourself. Hey! You’ve grown up. You have all kinds of muscles. And you’re wearing what looks like purple long underwear with a big yellow “S-D” on the chest.

You not only switched comics, you turned into Super-Doer!

Cool!

“I’ve got to find a steel bar!” you exclaim. “Can I really bend it with my bare hands?”

quote:

You glance around the building site. There’s a pile of bricks, there’s a cement mixer – and there’s a bunch of those steel rods they use to strengthen concrete! Exactly what you were looking for!

You pick up a heavy bar, flex your mighty muscles...

Yes! The steel bends like thin wire.

“Hey!” a voice yells.

You glance up. A guy in a hard hat is glaring at you. “We were going to use that bar,” he complains. “Now you’ve ruined it!”

You try to straighten it out. But you can’t fix that last kink. Then an idea comes to you.

“I’ll just heat this up with my magma-vision,” you announce. You stare at the bent bar cross-eyed, the way Super-Doer does in the comics. Sure enough, the metal gets hot – too hot! The middle of the bar melts away!

Whoops! Guess you need to practice with your cool new powers.

The workman looks pretty angry. But then he’s distracted by a sudden burst of crashes and screams. Another guy in a hard hat dashes up. “Super-Doer!” he cries. “Some horrible creature is trying to knock down our building!”

quote:

For a second you wonder what you’re supposed to do. Then you remember. You’re a superhero! It’s your duty to save the building.

You leap up – and suddenly you’re flying! Wind ruffles your hair. Your cape flaps behind you as you soar high over the building. You look down... and your jaw drops.

Just flying is incredible enough. But you didn’t expect this!

Something the size and shape of a Tyrannosaurus rex is smashing at the building with its hands and tail. But the thing’s scaly skin is made of shining metal. And your cosmic-ray vision shows that there’s machinery inside.

The creature turns its glowing glass eyes on you. You expect an attack.

Instead, the robot dinosaur says in a whiny voice, “Oh, great! Now I’ve got Super-Doer after me.”

You skid to a stop in midair. You know that voice.

“Wally?” you cry in disbelief.

If you try to talk things out with Wally, go to PAGE 25.

If you'd rather fight him, go to PAGE 102.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements
Trial and Error... and Error... and Error...: Encountered a total of 200 bad endings.
Cold Storage: Escaped the monster maze by getting caught in a poorly-designed trap.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wally, see reason!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Wally, see reason!

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

gently caress Wally. Kick him and his robot into pieces.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You float in the air in front of the metal monster’s face. It sort of looks like Wally, except for the size – and the flashing glass eyes, the metal scales, and the giant teeth.

And, it certainly sounds like Wally – only louder.

“I can’t believe that the first time you switch, you become a hotshot superhero,” he whines.

“Guess I’m just lucky,” you reply. “But you shouldn’t feel too bad. Being a monster is better than being a stupid sidekick.”

“True,” Wally agrees. “It is cool being a giant monster.” A huge hand flashes forward to pluck you out of the air. “Because this monster gets to do you in.”

“Funny, Wally.” You laugh. “Remember, I’m Super-Doer.”

You flex your supermuscles to get free.

Nothing happens. You’re still trapped in the Wally-monster’s gigantic hand!

quote:

“Wally,” you cry. “Why are you doing this? We’re pals – well, maybe not pals. But we go to the same school!”

“I’m sorry,” Wally replies. “But the monster formula also makes me Tex Loudsnore’s slave. He told me to destroy Super-Doer.”

Uh-oh. Things are desperate. You give the Wally-monster a blast of your magma-vision. His shoulder begins to melt.

“Ow! Owww!” he yells. “I can’t take this! I’m getting out of here! Guest shot!”

But when he yells the magic words, Wally doesn’t vanish. A ripple runs through his giant form. The fingers around you feel strangely rubbery. His face looks runny.

He’s melting!

Then you realize: Wally’s time has come. He used the magic words once too often. He’s turning into an inkblot!

You strain to break away. You can’t get free!

Holding up your hands in front of your face, you see with horror that you’re getting runny too.

Bummer!

Your Uncle Mel always called you a little squirt.

But now you’ve turned into a big drip.

THE END

Remember, we're in a comic book now! Since when has any comic book plot been resolved by calmly talking things out?

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
:siren:Smeared into an inkblot along with Wally after he used the magic words too many times.:siren:

Achievements
Cold Storage: Escaped the monster maze by getting caught in a poorly-designed trap.

Our options posted:

• Jump to the Ballistic Bug comics.
  • Fight Wally.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kill Judas Fight Wally.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Wally must be stopped with extreme comic book violence.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

All right, drat, kill him I guess.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“School pal or not, you aren’t wrecking this building!” you cry.

Flying down like an arrow, you aim for the Wally-monster’s nose. You already have your fist stuck out to deliver your Power-Punch.

But when you arrive, Wally isn’t there!

Desperately, you screech to a stop before you Power-Punch your way deep into the ground.

You whirl to find the huge, prehistoric space-monster climbing up the building. Huge metal claws screech against the concrete walls as the Wally-monster pulls itself up. The noise is about ten times worse than the sound of fingernails on a blackboard. And since your super-ears are ten times keener than ordinary ears, it’s downright painful.

“You’d better quit it, Wally,” you warn. “You’re beginning to annoy me!”

quote:

The monster with Wally’s face and voice reaches the top of the building. You get ready... and jump!

Whoops! You still need to get used to your new powers. You overshoot the building, speeding high into the sky!

Spinning in midair, you charge back. The Wally monster has reached the top of the unfinished building. Your fist goes back for your Power-Punch. This time you won’t miss!

As you zoom down, the Wally-monster grabs a big steel girder that sticks up from the top of the building. Tearing the girder loose, he slings it over his shoulder. Like a club. Or...

Whack! Too late, you realize Wally was holding the girder like a baseball bat. And he’s using you as the ball!

You grunt as the steel beam strikes you. Even with your superskin and maximuscles, the impact knocks the wind out of you.

Wally’s swing also knocks you out of the construction site. Tumbling helplessly, you streak toward the horizon like a line drive!

quote:

You spin out of control, thanks to that shot from Wally. Wind blasts past you, making your cape whip about until it wraps around your head. You’re ready to barf from all the tumbling. And your cape is blinding you.

Wait a second! You’re Super-Doer. And Super-Doer can see through things with his cosmic-ray vision!

You try that slightly squinty look that Super-Doer gets when he uses this power.

The good news is that you can now see where you’re going.

The bad news is that you’re about to crash into a building!

To use your flying powers to veer away, turn to PAGE 36.

If you'd rather rely on your superskin and maximuscles to get you through safely, turn to PAGE 94.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Smeared into an inkblot along with Wally after he used the magic words too many times.

Achievements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh no, a building. Surely we, a comic book character with super strength, could never endure the impact. :geno: