Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Nice piece of fish posted:

Oh come on, man. At least pretend you want to support your claims, don't go full tilt namecalling kindergartener on us already.

As for you, I didn't say he said that. The burden of proof in that particular instance might be met - you don't know anything about that - but as is clearly read from my post I was speaking generally, and your proposed solution for letting every driver go, disregarding the problems I've pointed out with that, only works in a complete surveillance police state where proof is irrefutable. I don't think anyone wants that option.

Super, and it's all in accordance with the police duty to minimize damage, risk etc. and I don't see how what you're saying means that the logic I objected to

is good and cool. There are excuses. Good reasons, even.

Why does it seem like to me that a lot of people think a license plate is proof of the owner driving the car? By itself it doesn't prove anything. Again, the state of play you are advocating is that the police should never chase someone, so every criminal has every incentive of running from the police every single time, no matter the situation because it gives them the best chance of getting away. Particularly if it's a stolen car, a robbery, a kidnapping, a terrorist in a car seeking to do maximum damage to the Mardi Gras or someone doing a drag race in a shopping centre. poo poo, anyone doing anything wrong at all could just get a couple of fake license plates, do whatever they want, run from the police and have fantastic chances of getting away with it.

Oh, it's just cop hate. Gotcha.

Alright, think that's derail enough.

Yeah the police are evil and should all be executed but saying “just let everyone run” is a loving retarded policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
High speed chases make good television so they should be encouraged hth

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ChairMaster posted:

You are absolutely pathetic, dude.

This is really all that needs to be said on the subject, so I'm just going to say that you should probably take your childish bootlicking stupidity to GiP or TFR, I can't remember which one is the one for people like you. You'll be accepted with open arms, I'm sure.

We don't support the boot lickers in gip either dawg.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Peruvian Welder uses Ulcerated Perineum. It’s superinfected!

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

ChairMaster posted:

Wow it's like cops don't give a poo poo about safety or the lives of the people they claim to protect and are more concerned with childish machismo and showmanship in the pursuit of making themselves look badass.

It's almost like they're analogous to the employers that kill their employees through seemingly deliberate negligence in the pursuit of saving a couple bucks.

Plenty of cops are good and well intentioned people who do actually care about public safety, they just tend to have a myopic perspective on what is a danger to the public where they disproportionately fixate on crime as opposed to the consequences of enforcing laws in our current system of criminal justice in the context of all the unaddressed problems with social justice. It's a systemic problem with the philosophy of policing in the US more than it's an issue with the character of individual people. That's not to say that there isn't a sizable portion of police who are drawn to the authority or even more who eventually become cynical and corrupted by the system they work within and perpetuate.

The real challenge of reforming criminal justice in the US is vastly larger and much harder than a simplistic caricature of the issue as "cops are childish authority craving narcissists" even if a bunch of them are obviously that. Perhaps useful to an accelerationist agenda, but not a real picture of the problem.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Renegret posted:

Car chases lead to good content though and what's a few civilian lives here or there?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

rip dale

schmug
May 20, 2007

Cop shoulda pulled over. What a dumbass.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

glynnenstein posted:

The real challenge of reforming criminal justice in the US is vastly larger and much harder than a simplistic caricature of the issue as "cops are childish authority craving narcissists" even if a bunch of them are obviously that. Perhaps useful to an accelerationist agenda, but not a real picture of the problem.

Cops are having recruitment shortages across the country for a reason, it's because normal reasonable human beings don't want to be cops anymore. Anyone who stays in the system long enough either becomes a complicit monster like the rest of them or gets kicked out and targeted and forced to move away.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I think we've derailed the OSHA enough with Cop talk for a while. thanks.

schmug
May 20, 2007

ChairMaster posted:

Cops are having recruitment shortages across the country for a reason, it's because normal reasonable human beings don't want to be cops anymore. Anyone who stays in the system long enough either becomes a complicit monster like the rest of them or gets kicked out and targeted and forced to move away.

yeah that's the reason

5er
Jun 1, 2000

ChairMaster posted:

Stop this derail, thanks.

edit

Burt Sexual posted:

Thanks!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

insta posted:

That's kinda what happened in the UK with scooter / motorcycle theft...

The way British cities, particularly London, are laid out means that unless you specifically go all out, you can't reasonably stop a scooter. Which has led to a policy of forcing them to crash, because a pursuit will become dangerous to the public (they take to pavements and pedestrian alleys), and by far the people most likely to be involved in trying to make off on scooters are criminals involved in specifically violent offences so there is an imperative need to apprehend them. As opposed to people who fail to stop in cars, who are usually non-violent, and can be entirely innocent of any offense but have poor control of their fight or flight response.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

schmug
May 20, 2007

Felon Musk posted:

"Musk called his project still "a little rough around the edges." The system's first test drivers described a bumpy ride at less than optimum speeds"
https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/tech/elon-musk-puts-his-electric-car-tunnel-calls-it-future-ncna949686

https://twitter.com/laura_nelson/status/1075243559991693314

:getin:

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
Here's some very old news about a court ruling that allows police departments to turn down applicants if they do too well (and of course, too poorly) on intelligence tests.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/too-smart-to-be-a-cop/

the reasoning seems to be that high IQ applicants use valuable training time and department resources, only to move on to another career much more quickly than average intelligence applicants.

as far as I can tell this ruling still stands and could be the policy of any department in the USA.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

lmao Elon claims cars will be able to go 150mph through his lumpy hole

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Burt Sexual posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouHkL7u9qLw&t=90s

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

My 15 year old garage door will stop if my dog trips the sensor running out but that thing will machine-press a Jeep sitting right on top of it?

I don't see any shoes so I assume the Jeep was unoccupied.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Burt Sexual posted:

I missed this sorry

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

schmug
May 20, 2007

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

lmao Elon claims cars will be able to go 150mph through his lumpy hole

lol it looks like a bumper car. Who needs autonomous when you can just bounce of the walls all the way to your destination.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Ixian posted:

My 15 year old garage door will stop if my dog trips the sensor running out but that thing will machine-press a Jeep sitting right on top of it?

I don't see any shoes so I assume the Jeep was unoccupied.

Evidently an underground space containing the machinery flooded, causing the motor to get stuck in "raise mode". These lifts don't have a grwat reputation in Aus. and I can kinda see why.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

schmug posted:

lol it looks like a bumper car. Who needs autonomous when you can just bounce of the walls all the way to your destination.

Requires a fully autonomous vehicle i.e. certain Teslas.

The bumper wheels are actually attached to the car. Always. I feel like this little detail is being overlooked by the press, who are either A) fawning over Musk again or B) Complaining about crap like a bumpy ride that is easily correctable.

The fact that you need a 100k+ autonomous car with permanently attached retractable bumper wheels is seen as a minor detail. Quite the change from their original "car sled" plan, which must have ended up being completely unworkable if this is the alternative they settled on.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
That looks similar to the system used on O-Bahn buses - guide rollers attached to the steering arms.

schmug
May 20, 2007

GotLag posted:

That looks similar to the system used on O-Bahn buses - guide rollers attached to the steering arms.

if only they could come up with something like that on rails and it could do like 300mph. Boy, that would be something.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
It's one of the dumbest 'solutions' I can imagine. It's like trying to build an apartment complex out of sleeping bags.

schmug
May 20, 2007

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

It's one of the dumbest 'solutions' I can imagine. It's like trying to build an apartment complex out of sleeping bags.

don't give him any ideas

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

He already has the metal coffins/submarines figured out. Just make them stackable and he'd have a hook in that minimalist living market.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Why not just a underground road? then people could go both ways. Why not just a ramp instead of a lift?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

hemale in pain posted:

Why not just a underground road? then people could go both ways. Why not just a ramp instead of a lift?

not disruptive enough

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Ixian posted:

Lmao

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I can't stop laughing at that stupid tunnel

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That concrete work looks awful.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Ixian posted:

Lmao

i mean, other than needing a driver and having to rely on bumpers to keep it from killing someone...

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That concrete work looks awful.

Yeah, seriously

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

hemale in pain posted:

Why not lower the road?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Imagine one of Tesla's famous battery fires in one of those tunnels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Can't wait to get into a 150mph car crash 40 feet below the ground in a single lane tunnel.