Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Moon Slayer posted:

Get better friends.

And a better wife.

By ‘better friends’ you mean ‘friends who would tell this to your face’?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

christ I miss Mirthless

Quoting a post from several pages ago here but I just skipped from around page 700 to the last dozen or so pages and I was wondering if that guy still posted. And now I know. And now I'm posting about knowing it.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

QuarkJets posted:

Access to remains of a deceased close friend is being denied by spiteful family that previously disowned him.

"There's a tattoo of a treasure map on his back but we're really just trying to respect his wishes, honest!"

Goonies sequel lookin rad as Hell.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

DoctorTristan posted:

By ‘better friends’ you mean ‘friends who would tell this to your face’?

Yeah, thats a tough one. On the one hand, your friend is an adult who is responsible for making their own decisions and just telling them over and over again how bad their situation is probably doesn't help, and risks getting them shut out of your life (voluntarily or involuntarily) even further. On the other hand, honesty is important, and maybe they need a wake-up call.

Its like how delicately and/or how many times can you responsibly tell someone, "hey dude, you have a giant growth on the side of your head, maybe you should get that removed."

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

blarzgh posted:

Yeah, thats a tough one. On the one hand, your friend is an adult who is responsible for making their own decisions and just telling them over and over again how bad their situation is probably doesn't help, and risks getting them shut out of your life (voluntarily or involuntarily) even further. On the other hand, honesty is important, and maybe they need a wake-up call.

Its like how delicately and/or how many times can you responsibly tell someone, "hey dude, you have a giant growth on the side of your head, maybe you should get that removed."

Yeah, pretty much this. That and the idea of making a secret group chat to bitch about the guy's wife seems pretty immature.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I wonder how many divorces that stupid love language has helped along. I won't say caused cause it's not the books fault people are idiots

I feel like that stupid love language stuff is like some weird flip side of the PUA nonsense.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

blarzgh posted:

Imo it depends on whether your friend’s poor decisions are on the scale of ‘pissing upwind’ or ‘pissing all over the bikes outside a hells angels bar’.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

The Lone Badger posted:

Murdered by cops during a no-knock warrant.

I hate how the first thing the cops did was ask "Do you have antifreeze?" Everyone who owns a car and drives in an area where the temperature can go below freezing should have antifreeze just as a matter of good maintenance practices.

"Do you have something very common? Well now you are a suspect."

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

I hate how the first thing the cops did was ask "Do you have antifreeze?" Everyone who owns a car and drives in an area where the temperature can go below freezing should have antifreeze just as a matter of good maintenance practices.

"Do you have something very common? Well now you are a suspect."

"Do I have antifreeze? Not sure, let me ask my lawyer."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lol I don't have antifreeze. Should I? I figure that's just something they take care of at the oil change checkup

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEyUeCyXl1Q

Just thinking of safety.

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

Gimme yer frickin pancreas

I needs it for reasons.

Vinny Possum posted:

His (39M) love language is words, but I (30f) can’t get it right. Duration 6 months

It's an abuse tactic. Get out, get out, get oooooooouuuuuuuuuuutttttt.

This is what the transition from "I want to please this person" to "I have to please this person" looks like.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Bag of Hamsters posted:

It's an abuse tactic. Get out, get out, get oooooooouuuuuuuuuuutttttt.

This is what the transition from "I want to please this person" to "I have to please this person" looks like.
my love language is abuse

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Yawgmoth posted:

my love language is abuse

evergreen /r/relationships post

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Lol I don't have antifreeze. Should I? I figure that's just something they take care of at the oil change checkup
Having a gallon of pre-mixed coolant / antifreeze is a good idea in case you just run low between checkups. Maybe your cooling system has a small leak or seepage while the oil system is fine.

TIL there is a new type of antifreeze that is far less toxic.

https://www.micksgarage.com/blog/everything-you-ever-needed-to-know-about-anti-freeze-and-coolant

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
my love language is Welsh

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Relationship with a Thai massage girl? am I insane?
u/RomanianTrump

quote:

I went to Thailand on vacation and went into a massage shop that does everything except actual sex (penetration). Me and the girl clicked like crazy. We are both 25 and for the next few days she stayed with me every day and we had so much fun, laughed like crazy, she was super sweet, packed my bag, ironed my clothes, gifted me a sweet necklace and told me not to forget her when I get home.

I'm just a poor student and she knows this so I don't think you can say she's after my money. Also she didn't ask for any money any gifts anything.

We're still talking everyday via video call.

Am I insane? I feel like I really like her but is this a really stupid idea? I just want some perspective from other people, and I'm embarrassed to ask my friends in real life.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
not insane, no. just extremely, catastrophically dumb

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You are a plane ticket and a green card my friend.

Lock her down before someone else she pulling the same thing on does. You will have a great few years of marriage

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib
Preemptive congrats on your marriage.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Hello Ketene posted:

Gf's [25F] sister [23F] stranded at the airport because everyone assumed I [27M] would pick her up. Gf now blaming me for being "irresponsible." Was I?
Extra crazy in the comments:

quote:

I was never asked to pick her up. My gf said I was an option, I said yes I could do it if needed, then her mom went to go ask the sister to see what she wanted herself.

I was never at all confirmed as the official pick up guy because the mom had said that she will ask her daughter because she might have her own plans already. With no replies after that, I assumed she DID have other rides.

This isn’t a case of me agreeing to a favor then neglecting to do it because no one gave me further details. This is me offering a favor and having no one accepting, basically telling me “we’ll see” and never getting back to me.

quote:

I can give more context. The whole chunk of the convo went like this:

Mom: should she take the train [to the city]?

Gf: no the station is kind of in a weird place, she might not be able to find it.

Mom: oh can you pick her up then and just drive her to her friends house?

Gf: my office is like in the center of town, it’d take me more than an hour just to get there.

Gf: maybe [oldcomputer] can pick her up instead. His office is a lot closer to the airport than mine.

Me: yeah sure I can do it, just let me know the time

Mom: hmm maybe, I’ll ask [younger sister] what she wants to do.

Mom: hey aren’t there cars you can hire that’ll pick you up at the airport with a driver and everything?

Gf: yeah I think so

Mom: maybe she could do that too

Gf: maybe

————

So yeah, I was honestly one option sandwiched between several others that was barely acknowledged and kinda skipped over. My “sure yeah” was just a affirmation that I COULD do it if needed to, which the mom simply said “maybe” to. If it was specifically a direct “could you pick her up?” I would’ve definitely followed up on my own.
They weren't just vague about when OP should have picked her up, they were vague about whether OP was going to be picking her up at all. Real good look there.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

You are a plane ticket and a green card my friend.

Lock her down before someone else she pulling the same thing on does. You will have a great few years of marriage

Take her hand and you'll definitely have a happy ending

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Haifisch posted:

Extra crazy in the comments:

They weren't just vague about when OP should have picked her up, they were vague about whether OP was going to be picking her up at all. Real good look there.

This reminds me of something my kids would do when they were like, pre-teens. Ask me if they could do something and if I didn't immediately say no/said "maybe" they took it as a yes.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Whorelord posted:

Got sent an anonymous screenshot of all my (28m) best friends bagging out my wife (28f) in a group chat.

quote:

They are also complaining about when I hosted a UFC men’s night at my place, and how my wife came out and pulled the plug to the stereo and shut down the night because she was in a bad mood. They also spoke of another occasion where my wife banned a girlfriend of my buddies from coming to our house because my buddie’s girlfriend smokes cigarettes.

Admittedly my wife can be rude, she does what she wants with little consideration for others. If she’s in a bad mood, she will make sure everyone else is as well.

Your wife sucks and your friends do too. After examining your case for a good 15 seconds, I have determined the common factor in this to be you. You suck, :sever: from your wife and friends because you are poisoning their lives.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Admiral Ray posted:

Your wife sucks and your friends do too. After examining your case for a good 15 seconds, I have determined the common factor in this to be you. You suck, :sever: from your wife and friends because you are poisoning their lives.

Nice blaming of an abuse victim

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Whorelord posted:

Nice blaming of an abuse victim

:thejoke:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Found out husband is the one stealing shallots from neighborhood gardens

quote:

This has been going on for several years. I live in a small rural neighborhood with an HOA where the houses are spread apart but neighbors are expected to keep their houses and yards nice. As with most HOAs, some members can get a little carried away with the seriousness of it all. There will be passive aggressive emails about escaped dogs, shirtless runners, unsightly fencing, etc. It really annoys my husband. I just laugh at it

Well, a few years ago the neighbors got together and made a community garden in the center lot. There were a lot of emails sent about this. A lot of drama. I don’t remember all of it but people would get upset if someone took up too much space with their plants, planted something unsightly, etc

So then we start getting emails complaining that someone was picking all the shallots/onions out of the garden. Some people thought it could be deer eating them. There were several theories. The next year the same thing happened and then people were also complaining that the onions/shallots were going missing from their personal gardens. This year it started happening again and people flipped out. All caps emails, demands to interrogate teenage residents, requests to put security cameras in the communal garden. Two houses were hit and then people started staking out in their gardens and putting up game cameras

It started out being funny because I’m not involved with gardening so it was just amusing to read all the emails. But this year people are getting really upset and wanting to get law enforcement involved.

So anyway, you already know what happens. I walk down to the bottom of our property that I don’t visit often and I find a lot of smashed onions and shallots. Like absolutely smashed to bits it clearly took a lot of work

I went inside and told my husband jokingly “I think we’re being framed for the onion heist!” He got this really weird look on his face and I had the realization and asked him if he didn’t have anything to do with this

He confessed to me that he did and had been stealing the onions and shallots to spite the neighbors. He was sneaking out at night to do this. I asked him why and he said he just hates them so much.

I don’t even know. This makes me really uncomfortable. The man is 31 and sneaking out at night to steal onions and I didn’t even notice? Why wouldn’t he just tell me? Like this has been going on for three years it’s not like he just did it once as a prank

I don’t know what to do. Can anyone help me think this through. Maybe I’m overreacting but I’m pretty upset

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Dienes posted:

Your husband is a hero

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Dienes posted:

Lot of layers to this one

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Dienes posted:

Kind of a waste if he's just smashing them imo

I say keep stealing them but plant them in random spots

Johnny Onionbulb

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Super Grocery Kart posted:

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

:golfclap:

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Onion man is my new favorite super hero.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Die

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

[update](AZ) Our neighbor's dog was apparently poisoned and because we had complained about the dog barking, police wanted to go through our "internet history."

Original here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/a75f0o/az_our_neighbors_dog_was_poisoned_police_want_to/

So thank you to everyone who responded. And I guess thank you to everyone in the DMs who accused me of torturing dogs by forcing the owners to keep them inside because god forbid, I want to sleep in my own house. Just to allay the fears of the other nice DM's, I did not in any way shape or form hurt the dog. Also a legit thank you to everyone who offered tips on anti-bark devices, the problem is these people aren't next door to us (which goes to show how loud the dogs are) so we don't have the ability to set up any sort of device.

I took the advice of 99.9% of the posters and did not call the officer back on Monday night. I also showed my wife this thread and she was pretty convinced so thank you for all the rational responses. I called a criminal defense attorney first thing yesterday morning.

He was very cool and said that he didn't want to waste our time any money because the chances of the DA actually pursuing this were slim to none. He did tell me to not answer any more questions and if the police did come for me again, I could refer them to him or if god forbid they arrested me, he gave me the number of his answering service. He said that he had a good friend who worked as detective and he'd try put a call in to figure out "off the record" what was really going on.

So basically nothing happened yesterday (of course the other dogs are still barking, even as I type this) but I just heard (Wednesday morning) from the attorney and basically he had talked to his detective friend who looked into it. Basically regardless of what the neighbors say, there is actually zero evidence of them owning three dogs. In fact the best evidence that the now dead dog ever existed were my calls to animal control, the mediation records and the judges ruling. The people could not provide any pictures, social media posts, any shot records, vet bills or purchase receipts for any of the dogs, let alone one that died. They also had not done any sort of medical exam to prove the dog had been poisoned and they immediately buried the dog in the desert when they found it dead (for all I know they buried the dog instead of taking to the vet, they are the trashiest people I've ever encountered). The can't even really remember where they buried it (or don't want to say). So with almost no evidence of the dog ever existing, let alone being poisoned we shouldn't hear from the police again.

So our complaint to animal control from last Thursday is still on the books. The lawyer is going to refer us to a civil attorney who he thinks will take our case to bring a civil suit against the dog owners. Our city and county ordinances very clearly state that dogs can't bark for more than 15 minutes a day and you have the right to an expectation of quiet in your own home. The criminal lawyer doesn't know how successful we'll be but he does think that maybe the threat of lawsuit will get them to address the barking problem, because it would be easier them to just bring the dogs inside as opposed to a court case which they stand a chance of losing.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Ghost dog?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's a lot of free legwork from that attorney

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Wait there are anti bark devices?

Adbot