Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
So yeah, in Rebirth when you put yourself into this cell in a slave house, you can reach over to the nearest sleeping guard and empty his inventory with nothing happening if you fail to steal. Fork it over, indeed. Enjoy the brand spanking new chains when you wake up :henget:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Fewd posted:

So yeah, in Rebirth when you put yourself into this cell in a slave house, you can reach over to the nearest sleeping guard and empty his inventory with nothing happening if you fail to steal. Fork it over, indeed. Enjoy the brand spanking new chains when you wake up :henget:

I don't know if it also happens when you chain them, but if you throw a guard in a jail cell and the other guards notice, they turn him into a slave. It's extremely exploitable so I'm not doing it in my current game but in my old game I pretended it's because the shame of them failing their jobs so badly is the reason they need to be worked to death and reborn.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

a7m2 posted:

These two are absolutely must-haves.

I also have the one that gives you +2 relations whenever your settlement pays tax/tribute. It's balanced and I feel like it makes sense. The mod that gives you access to more furniture and building options is good too, if that's your thing (it's my thing). There's also a mod that lets you rip out someone's heart to kill them when they're downed (it's just an item in their inventory) which I may use in the future because it's badass and it can be annoying waiting for guys to die. Sorry I forgot the name of the last one so I can't link it.

I like the mod that gives races their own blood color too

Dog backpack because they have the slot but no backpack will fit them.

I appreciate the recommendations, but your first two link to the wrong mods. :shobon:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

a7m2 posted:

I don't know if it also happens when you chain them, but if you throw a guard in a jail cell and the other guards notice, they turn him into a slave. It's extremely exploitable so I'm not doing it in my current game but in my old game I pretended it's because the shame of them failing their jobs so badly is the reason they need to be worked to death and reborn.
"Hey you there! You gotta help! Some slave locked me up here!"
"That's exactly what an escaping slave would say."
"But we've patrolled together. We've slept next to each other!"
"How do I know you didn't forget your copy of the Holy Flame in the dresser one day and got sentenced to slavery"
"You were gone for 5 minutes!"

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

re: mods

I made a clown

I'm trying to get an update out that makes recruiting him more interesting, but god drat is it hard to actually get something to just... spawn. There is no way just place a character down in the editor, you have to do this whole song and dance with building naming and what buildings squads prefer and they'll just pick random buildings to move into if there's more than one option for them, it's a huge pain in the rear end.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I've been playing this a bit the past couple days and I've been a big kleptomaniac the whole time. I like how after a certain point in skill development you can just KO sleeping shopowners and then pilfer all their best stuff with no chance of getting caught. Eventually I joined the thief dudes in the hub and started robbing them too. They don't seem to give a poo poo if you lockpick their containers so I've looted a bunch of sweet katanas and backpacks from them. Reminds me a good bit of thievery in Morrowind especially with the way that merchants actually seem to have all their stock in accessible containers rather than just out in the ether like so many games do.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Anticheese posted:

I appreciate the recommendations, but your first two link to the wrong mods. :shobon:

Right-click copy link doesn't work well in Steam it seems. I'll relink when I get home.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So now that its 1.0 and i'm playing the game without exploity poo poo, it seems a bit harder. I've got two pack animals, managed to loot some ruins full of blood spiders (got lucky, a group of skeletons were nearby, so I followed them and helped them out when the spiders aggro'd in). Ruins only had 13 books in it, sadly.

So now i'm limping back and i've managed to get to stack. I think I can reliably take out groups of hungry bandits now. The springbat is absolutely nuts for its cost (looted some escaped slaves who had decided to fight some dust bandits). Now i've just got the problem of "gently caress all money". Guess I wander back down to squin and start making some decent leather armour in one of the houses i've bought there.

I'm trying to go all human for this run and not piss off the holy nation. Still not sure who i'm going to fight late game, but i'm thinking i'll head to the south east of the map for end game stuff and go from there.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I'm about 5 hours in and really enjoying this game. It's janky, ugly, and ambitious in a very early 2000s sort of way. It makes more concessions to abstraction and QoL features than I expected from an indie grognard game. I'm having a lot of fun discovering newer and better ways of making money or exploring or whatever, and I'm happy that it doesn't seem to want you to play the game in any one particular way.

One thing I wish it would do is make the value/sale price of items more prominent in the hover text, especially for armor. It kinda gets lost in the stats.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I've been sneaking so much that my dude is now running around like an anime character. Unseen and unheard I descent onto the battlefield, arms steadily stretched out behind me. Not to fight, but to strip everyone and sell their belongings.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Yeah the sneak animation is hilarious. Unarmed combat is a lot of fun too. You can roleplay a squad of naruto characters that are literally strong enough to punch or kick off entire limbs.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018
Storytime:

One of my messengers stumbled into a Kang safehouse deep in Will E Coyote Land, thinking it was a waystation. As soon as he was through the door a shek bandit basically blew his head off in one swing. The messenger was at -54 head and going down.

Cue rescue and extraction. I assembled all of my soldiers (minus the 3 dino hunters), distributed sleeping bags and dried meat, and got ready to march across a large chunk of the map. The master ninja, which had picked up sort of a thing for hanging out in the workshop, distributed new weapons to everyone. I was going in loaded for bear.

At the same time my hunting lodge got attacked by ninjas. Now this may not seem relevant but all the food, leather and cotton need to come from here before they can be turned into supplies, and it's only defended by 3 hunters. And a peasant. I decide to intercept the ninjas in the hive village next to the lodge and leash them into the friendly (and sometimes hilariously semitic) antmen. The plan fails spectacularly. The hivers decide to stay out of the fight. The hunters manage to lock half of the ninjas into melee. The other half starts sprinting straight towards my house. poo poo.

Peace, the peasant and resident logistics officer, decides she's had enough. She fills a scavenger basket with meat, takes everything else that isn't worth losing, and runs off into the woods far from the house. Peace out(tm). By this time the 3 hunters have already killed one half of the attacking force, but all are heavily injured and one is out cold.

Back in Will E Coyote Land the master ninja was able to go in and out between 3 shek guards and bring the injured messenger back to my army. The ninja takes a total of one hit. The shek pick a fight with some nomad "traders" which attempt to break and enter. (tried joining the fight at this point but decided to roll back. it was the only save/load during all of the events described) I use the distraction to sneak back in with the master ninja and manage to steal spec-grade leather pants and an assortment of rare weapons plus a legendary. Everyone sneaks back out and heads home with the messenger in tow.

Meanwhile, the other ninjas try to pry open my garage, not knowing there's a gorillo in it. The gorillo vanished during the savescum and nothing happens, though this trap design might be worth doing again with multiple gorillos. Since there is nothing left in the lodge except raw hide, old halberds and a single ball of cotton, they decide to leave.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice
Come across a herd of nearly a dozen Beak Things fighting 2 Gorrilas. They are tearing the poo poo out of the Gorrilas when some Dust Bandits decide that they want a piece of the action.

Gorrilas go down and the Dust Bandits are just instantly torn apart. At the same time a Caravan walks into the mess and the Beak Things start to work them over. The only one left standing is the Caravan master and he's surprisingly holding his own but there just is too many Beak Things. He saved though by another batch of Dust Bandits running in, but only for a moment because even though the Beak Things are going down the Bandits are easily cut to pieces.

Finally a Wondering Ninja Assassin jumps in. He just works through the remaining Beak Things like they are nothing.

As I begin to loot the bodies I see him limping off. Just another day in Kenshi.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Any time you see super injured people or animals heal them up even if you kill them seconds later, it's a ton of free first aid xp

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

How Disgusting posted:

shek bandit basically blew his head off in one swing

That reminds me, some of the unique boss NPCs have hilarious weapons. I was thieving around the Shek capital city and went to empty the faction HQ of excess pearl vases and such. Saw the faction boss, the whatever-her-name-was the Stone Golem, sleeping in her bed and got an urge to take a peek in her inventory. She had this completely ridiculous Cross made fragmented axe that had like 4.00+ total damage and the weight... oh the weight. 72 kg :shepface:

I actually had a decent chance to steal it, something like 51% but decided to leave it. Any of my party members would've been ecumbered to hell and back with that thing.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
So I got this yesterday and have been fiddling around with it. Is there anything that is a must do in the beginning to get a good start ?
I did the wanderer start and have just been exploring and running around/ away from stuff and done some scavenging.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

MRLOLAST posted:

So I got this yesterday and have been fiddling around with it. Is there anything that is a must do in the beginning to get a good start ?
I did the wanderer start and have just been exploring and running around/ away from stuff and done some scavenging.

I used this guide to get some early funds and equipment to start. Pretty fun actually and introduces you to using mercenaries as you are a weakling at the start. Be warned this guide contains a few *spoilers* in the form of exposing locations on the map that you can discover on your own.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1508134396

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

MRLOLAST posted:

a fun thing to do which breaks the tedium is stealing things from a faction/town you don't mind angering. when you inevitably get caught and beat to a pulp within an inch of your life, you heal up in prison and break out again, only to get nearly beaten to death again. its a great way to build character and gives you a healthy degree of toughness early on. A semy cheesy way to also build skill is to mine an inventory full of rocks, carry a dead guy, and explore as usual across the wasteland.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

buglord posted:

A semy cheesy way to also build skill is to mine an inventory full of rocks, carry a dead guy, and explore as usual across the wasteland.

What? You mean you don't carry a backpack made of sticks and linen full of rocks with a dead guy slung over your shoulder in your daily adventures around town? :v:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

early game training is you and a guy you hired for cheap taking turns getting savagly beaten by a dozen starving bandits, fixed up, then dumped in town while the concious guy goes mining for jerky money

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Agean90 posted:

early game training is you and a guy you hired for cheap taking turns getting savagly beaten by a dozen starving bandits, fixed up, then dumped in town while the concious guy goes mining for jerky money

Hungry bandits get confused when they beat my guy up and find he had nothing but the rotting corpse over his shoulder, a rusted katana (dex training!) and a bag full of rocks.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
interested in this

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
newcomers: if you wanna reduce the rate of hunger, drag the slider to the right, not left.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I play with 75% hunger even after I'm up and running because otherwise the keeping everyone fed part of the game just feels like a giant pain in the rear end.

Would enjoy a mod that included water as a thing and greatly reduced food consumption though I dunno if that's even possible.

You can also turn down attack frequency on your cities if you find that annoying

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
I'm fairly new to the game but there's plenty of highly recommended mods which will unfuck the tedium.

Weight bench and dexterity err thing are mods that will train you those individual stats without having to do stupid poo poo like carrying bodies and rocks around.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Once you get the feel for what all raises different stats (tldr, fight a lot, carry a crossbow for dex, after you finish looting carry a body with you back to town for str, heal everything friend or foe alike, have a guy on block+taunt to raise defensive skills faster) things level up fast enough in the course of the game as is.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

buglord posted:

newcomers: if you wanna reduce the rate of hunger, drag the slider to the right, not left.

I've never had problems with hunger, even in the early game. Never mind that I reimported the game after almost driving an animal species to extinction.

If a new player is trying to be self-sufficient in terms of food, there is a great base location north of the hub between 3 holy farms.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

It's hilarious that slavers always seem to come visit your base after a particularly hard fight

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I also like reduce food consumption by like 50%, its effort to maintain and i'd much rather be doing stuff.

In terms of defence, don't hit "block". It raises your block skill by 20, which means that sure, you'll defend a ton more, but you'll get less XP because the game reads you as a really good defender blocking against a lovely attacker and grants you an xp penalty.

It's also why its a good idea to basically rush into dust bandits as much as possible in early game. Make sure you have someone nearby, but go get a guy knocked out. Pick him up, run him back. If you really want to get into training, just build a shack with a bed in it, strip a hungry bandit's weapon and have fistfights.

Rotate the bandit out on occasion so he doesn't become a kung fu master. Or feed him up once he's sufficiently trained and dump him in front of a dust bandit. Whatever floats your boat.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Agean90 posted:

it's been a whole people say me in later this game because my craptop is slowly dieing but I like be that the game explicitly tells you that the only way to get stronger is to it get your rear end kicked a bunch

https://mobile.twitter.com/dril/status/460673146451161088?lang=en

but completely sincerely

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1070156456672944133

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I'm still pretty early in the game, how do I improve relations with factions? I witnessed an entire squad of escaped servants get beaten up by starving bandits so I swept in to heal them after the fact. Got a lot of first aid exp but my relation with the servants didn't change.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Riatsala posted:

I'm still pretty early in the game, how do I improve relations with factions? I witnessed an entire squad of escaped servants get beaten up by starving bandits so I swept in to heal them after the fact. Got a lot of first aid exp but my relation with the servants didn't change.

It will creep up sometimes after healing a guy. With most minor factions you can't really improve relations to ally. For the ones you can, go talk to the leader guy and do what they like, which is usually murdering their enemies, paying a fee (shinobi best allies), or just saying "yeah go go good team!"

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

dogstile posted:

If you really want to get into training, just build a shack with a bed in it, strip a hungry bandit's weapon and have fistfights.

Rotate the bandit out on occasion so he doesn't become a kung fu master. Or feed him up once he's sufficiently trained and dump him in front of a dust bandit. Whatever floats your boat.

A third option is to get the recruit prisoners mod and recruit said kung fu master into your group.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=726254871

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

dogstile posted:

If you grab one of the hostile robots with massive skills running around up north it's even faster cause you can fix them up immediately with a repair kit and start with like 50 in everything.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

How moddable is this game? Im definitely intrigued by it. Is there a possibility for new races, combat skills etc?

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Yup, check the steam workshop. The legendary weapons mod is great, and there are mods that add more animals and what not too.
Not sure about combat skills though.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

new combat skills and animations are.... theoretical at best. It certainly seems possible, but no one's been able to figure out how to get it to work yet.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Got the game a while ago and been playing it a bunch, so far I have been kinda enjoying it but at the same time I feel like I haven't really found a proper flow to it/figured out what I want to do.

My adventures so far include:

-The usual early game mining and getting beat up by starving bandits. I had my main group get abducted by slavers once but sadly had to reload that save before that happened since the slavers would just bring them to... Rebirth I believe and just stand around doing nothing for a long while. This was a few versions back so if this was a bug it probably has been fixed now. Still though, kinda sad since I thought this would be a neat way to get early game training and an excuse to sneak out at some point and come back later to beat up the slavers.

-Making the mistake of building a rock mining thing somewhat close to the hub which instantly attracted every single bandit in the area to go and beat up whoever was mining at the time. In my defense I really wanted to start crafting stuff and the stores updated too slowly for my tastes :v:

-Starting my settlement when I only got the first tier of walls researched thinking they would be enough. Cue fending off constant attacks by bandits and shek as apparently the moment you plonk down a building it launches a flare to signal to everyone in the wasteland to show up and wreck your poo poo. After messing with settings, hiring more people including some dedicated turret users and upgrading my walls I finally got to a spot where the only time I got my poo poo wrecked was when the shek decided to bring in the occasional group dedicated to just stomp my poo poo in for a bit. This was probably at times the most frustrating but also satisfying part to finally get to a point where my group was mostly safe and self-sufficent.

-Currently exploring the wastelands for more research items and just generally checking things out. Which included a moment where I must've accidently walked into a beak thing migration path as my group fought off a group of two or three just barely, only to have more and more trickle in as my party tended their wounds, and finally be overwhelmed by around the sixth one.

Right now I am kinda wondering what to do next. A lot of the areas I found exploring is too much for my group to handle so I suppose I should just go around beating up dust bandits till everyone can handle them without too much trouble.

Are there any tips/suggestions on what do to once you are in that part of the game?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've got a guy sat in town making leather armour, he'll be cranking out specialist quality everything before long while everyone else is beating up bandits. He's got about 200 animal skins from the group murdering random garru's that are around. My "bandit fighter" group are currently going around "friendly" territory (read: people who won't kill me) fighting bandits where they can and buying up various blueprints, because its super hard to get blueprints from a place once you're hostile to them.

There are a couple bounties you could go for. I'd recommend Tora the Fearless by the Squin waystation, or the dust bandit leader. Hire mercs for both, don't cheap out when taking out Tora and hire two groups, she's got a full camp of shek band of bones with her.

It's my current plan and is giving me a lot to do while i wait for my full set of leather boots/armour to be made for around 8 people. Then i'll head out towards Vain, I guess? Lots of gorillos to fight. Lots of hive villages to go see. Can maybe detour to some ruins while i'm over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

dogstile posted:

Then i'll head out towards Vain, I guess? Lots of gorillos to fight. Lots of hive villages to go see.

Lots of blood spiders to see. Lots of beak things to... see. :v:

Vain is literally hell.

First time I went there it was a short trip to the hive village closest to hub. When I got there, the village came under attack by no less than over a dozen beak things. They loving glassed the village. Killed every single thing and I barely managed to get out. Welcome to Vain, I guess.