Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

The base determines who wins primaries and therefore has the Senate Republican caucus by the balls. They can make life very unpleasant for Mitch McConnell if he dares to cross God-Emperor Peepants, and they will never, ever, ever, EVER view any ousting of Trump as anything other than a terrible betrayal.

Why does this matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Generally people have no trouble understanding that if I do a drive by shooting on someone else's house and then their relatives do one on mine, my kids didn't "have it coming" but my evil actions absolutely provoked the evil response and it's not victim-blaming to say that I share responsibility for what happened and if I want to commit drive by shootings then having shootings committed against me is the expected consequence.

But replace "me" with "our government and our glorious military" and suddenly people go absolutely stupid and insist that anyone mentioning the connection between us bombing the poo poo out of other countries and invading them and terrorizing them and supporting tyrannical dictatorships who will lease oil fields and military bases to us in exchange for weapons to use against their own people, and those people committing terrorist attacks here must be "blaming the victims".

Really though they don't care about the victims since they're just fine with more terrorist attacks happening as long as our awesome military is overseas kicking rear end and taking gas.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Oh crap, who opened up the tomb?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Why does this matter?

because the number of republican politicians who will put the future of their party above their own personal political survival can be counted on the fingers of one foot

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Pence has been present everywhere with Trump and goes to pentagon meetings and receives intelligence briefings so that when Trump is gone (or wanted gone) the GOP can point to Pence as an icon of calm stability, doing what was necessary when the trump wouldn't. quietly tending the garden while trump stomps around in it and cleaning up his messes. they'll be tons of accounts of pence holding the reins not speaking up to preserve the office for future presidents, pointing to trump's departure (however it happens) as being evidence that "the system works"

it's not loving rocket science

of course the GOP would ask that you politely forget this

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Wark Say posted:

Maybe I'm misinterpreting you here (and if I am, apologies), but are you telling us that, irregardless of Trump leaving the presidency with his hands uncuffed (I know I know, very unlikely), that it's very much likely that his companies/endeavors/gravy trains are all going to get turbo-hosed once he's out of #1600 Pennsylvania Avenue?

yeah he's committed crimes in New York for decades and any AG who is interested in a political career in New York (which is every single one) is gonna be ecstatic at the possibility of turbofucking him for all those crimes

i think they'll go after trump org before he's even out of office

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

The base determines who wins primaries and therefore has the Senate Republican caucus by the balls. They can make life very unpleasant for Mitch McConnell if he dares to cross God-Emperor Peepants, and they will never, ever, ever, EVER view any ousting of Trump as anything other than a terrible betrayal.

Says who? Why should we accept this received truth that trump is good at everything and is a 4D savant chess master who always wins? What if he's just bad at this?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Why does this matter?

You assume that just because "they will always vote Republican" means "they will always vote for incumbent Republicans". This isn't the case, and the Republican caucus in the Senate has a yellow streak a mile wide. They will calculate that no matter how awful Trump is, the wrath of his minions is way, way worse.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Says who? Why should we accept this received truth that trump is good at everything and is a 4D savant chess master who always wins? What if he's just bad at this?

I never said he was, because he doesn't need to be in order to have a devoted base of Neanderthal chuds who will do whatever he tells them. Please point me to where I said that Trump was a political genius of any kind.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 19, 2018

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I'd seen a few tweets on this and thought it was Trump's new policy of denying asylum to people who crossed the Mexican border. It's not: it's overturning Jeff Sessions' attempt to bar anyone fleeing gang violence or domestic violence from getting asylum. It's a huge deal, much bigger than I though - it is a given that the policy denying aslyum to people who crossed the Mexican border will not be upheld, but gutting this racism elf decision now that he's gone is something I wasn't expecting:

https://twitter.com/AliceOllstein/status/1075437418260652033

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

evilweasel posted:

yeah he's committed crimes in New York for decades and any AG who is interested in a political career in New York (which is every single one) is gonna be ecstatic at the possibility of turbofucking him for all those crimes

there's two slam dunk ways to ensure you get elected for life in New York right now

take out the president of the United States

take care of the subway

it's embarrassing which one is easier

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

if you primary Trump, who would even be on the GOP ticket? Resident ghoul Tom Cotton? Dan Crenshaw? As slim as the Dem options are, the GOP possibilities are loving dire.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

evilweasel posted:

It’s already started, right? I believe there are a few investigations

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s already started, right? I believe there are a few investigations

yep and the current AG all but ran on a "lock him up" platform

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

You assume that just because "they will always vote Republican" means "they will always vote for incumbent Republicans". This isn't the case, and the Republican caucus in the Senate has a yellow streak a mile wide. They will calculate that no matter how awful Trump is, the wrath of his minions is way, way worse

Oh for sure, they are going to run and vote Dem

DLC Inc posted:

if you primary Trump, who would even be on the GOP ticket? Resident ghoul Tom Cotton? Dan Crenshaw? As slim as the Dem options are, the GOP possibilities are loving dire.

Their primary was ridiculously overstuffed in 2016. But I guess THE BASE won't vote for any of them and are't going to vote for Republicans so

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Even if he is the rest of the GOP is worse, they're not beating him because they suck not because he's great

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

VitalSigns posted:

Generally people have no trouble understanding that if I do a drive by shooting on someone else's house and then their relatives do one on mine, my kids didn't "have it coming" but my evil actions absolutely provoked the evil response and it's not victim-blaming to say that I share responsibility for what happened and if I want to commit drive by shootings then having shootings committed against me is the expected consequence.

But replace "me" with "our government and our glorious military" and suddenly people go absolutely stupid and insist that anyone mentioning the connection between us bombing the poo poo out of other countries and invading them and terrorizing them and supporting tyrannical dictatorships who will lease oil fields and military bases to us in exchange for weapons to use against their own people, and those people committing terrorist attacks here must be "blaming the victims".

Really though they don't care about the victims since they're just fine with more terrorist attacks happening as long as our awesome military is overseas kicking rear end and taking gas.

Gin and Tacos had an interesting article the other day about how left-wing foreign policy is sortof collectively bad. http://www.ginandtacos.com/2018/12/18/all-greek/

I don't entirely agree with him but I think that the left does need to do a better job of speaking up and articulating exactly why non interference is the best foreign policy most of the time.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

he means they're gonna toss them out in the next republican primary

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

evilweasel posted:

I'd seen a few tweets on this and thought it was Trump's new policy of denying asylum to people who crossed the Mexican border. It's not: it's overturning Jeff Sessions' attempt to bar anyone fleeing gang violence or domestic violence from getting asylum. It's a huge deal, much bigger than I though - it is a given that the policy denying aslyum to people who crossed the Mexican border will not be upheld, but gutting this racism elf decision now that he's gone is something I wasn't expecting:

That Sessions policy was in direct violation of international treaties we have signed regarding asylum so it should absolutely be thrown out.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah. He hasn't even tried to hide his corruption, really, and his moron Presidency has opened him up to way too much scrutiny.

haveblue posted:

Non-NYers do not understand the degree to which Trump is loathed here. He's been a tabloid fixture since the 80s and there are buildings with his name on them all over town. The most recent election proved that taking on Trump is a winning position now so the investigations are not going to stop.
A'ight, thanks for the clarification. Yeah, one of the things that I've learned across these long 24 months from reading and watching information concerning Trump is that, had he not become president, he would've continued his grifting crock uninterrupted. But a combination of winning the elections, continuously saying the quiet part loud and just plain not paying for things any corrupt poo poo-for-brains with two functioning synapses would've, he's not going to have it easy once he's done with the White House.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Jesus Christ. Again, I DID NOT SAY THIS. You are aware of the primary process, right? You are also aware of how much success the Tea Party had in purging anyone they perceived as a RINO between 2008-2016?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

That Sessions policy was in direct violation of international treaties we have signed regarding asylum so it should absolutely be thrown out.

yeah but under US law treaty obligations don't always have the force of law (in fact, they usually don't)

it got thrown out because the racism elf decision violated our immigration laws, rather than any treaties

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

evilweasel posted:

there are a couple other cases in this line of decisions that this makes me very happy about.

the same reason core elements of this fail under State Farm/Fox hard look review should hopefully apply to some other decisions that Sessions similarly certified to himself then abruptly changed 30+ years of DOJ policy (while maintaining that it WASN'T a policy change, just them upholding the law in a way previous administrations hadn't - which is ironically what's gonna bite them in the rear end)

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

evilweasel posted:

he means they're gonna toss them out in the next republican primary

Nah. Even if they did, if I were an evil piece of garbage in congress the last 18 months, I'd be proud of my accomplishments and ready to take a cushy consulting gig.

The only thing they wanted that they didn't get was ACA repeal (which dark times will be coming for anyway, thanks to a tipped SC) and The Wall, which was a dumb thing anyhow.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

That would require admitting they have a tangible reason for their attacks, when our entire global order requires framing them as fanatics, acting only out of religious extremism.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nah. Even if they did, if I were an evil piece of garbage in congress the last 18 months, I'd be proud of my accomplishments and ready to take a cushy consulting gig.

The only thing they wanted that they didn't get was ACA repeal (which dark times will be coming for anyway, thanks to a tipped SC) and The Wall, which was a dumb thing anyhow.

getting tossed out in a primary seriously hurts your post-congress earning power. plus, why retire when you can just corruptly insider trade for all the money you could want and also be one of the most powerful people in the country?

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Jesus Christ. Again, I DID NOT SAY THIS. You are aware of the primary process, right? You are also aware of how much success the Tea Party had in purging anyone they perceived as a RINO between 2008-2016?

The damage Trump is doing to the Republican brand as a whole far outweighs the gain of certain evil shits replacing the current evil shits.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/WPJohnWagner/status/1075442924224217088

"just keep loading up tractor-trailers with every scrap of paper in your offices and copies of every hard drive and we will tell you when to stop"

"in a few weeks we'll be sending over buses, load those up with various aides to be deposed and again, we'll tell you when to stop"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

evilweasel posted:

yeah but under US law treaty obligations don't always have the force of law (in fact, they usually don't)

Yeah lol at the US being bound to any international treaty. No one on the world thinks the US is a good-faith actor

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

DLC Inc posted:

That's why the RNC and Trump Campaign are merging into one for 2020.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Gin and Tacos had an interesting article the other day about how left-wing foreign policy is sortof collectively bad. http://www.ginandtacos.com/2018/12/18/all-greek/

I don't entirely agree with him but I think that the left does need to do a better job of speaking up and articulating exactly why non interference is the best foreign policy most of the time.

Nah

quote:

One, more popular among leftist-progressive types, is essentially a repackaged version of Gilded Age and Interwar isolationism. War is bad (which is true, but not a foreign policy). Any outcome that does not involve the United States engaging in military action is good (usually true, but not universally). Picking sides is bad, because without any real thought about what American goals are – Humanitarian? Strategic? Public relations? – everything gets reduced to Philosophy 101 guy-who-didn't-do-the-readings logic: Who's to say who's right here? There's also an alarming tendency for people of this mindset to be manipulated by obviously bad actors – Jill Stein and Glenn Greenwald and their "What's so bad about Russia Today? It's just like the BBC!" shtick, or Gabbard and her "I went and talked to Assad and he agrees with me" stunt. When no goal or policy beyond "Let's stay out of it" can be articulated, you make yourself pretty easy to manipulate.
Those are three bad options. The first is basically Trumpism, with its underlying belief that authoritarians around the world really aren't so bad.

Yeah no, Trumpism isn't non-interventionism. Trump intervenes on the side of authoritarians all the time, that's just a smear against the anti-war movement and this article is dumb and bad sorry.

Also lol at the implication that "the underlying belief that authoritarians around the world really aren't so bad" is some new thing unique to Trumpism and/or Jill Stein, and not the guiding philosophy of the neolib interventionist project for the last half-century.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

The damage Trump is doing to the Republican brand as a whole far outweighs the gain of certain evil shits replacing the current evil shits.

You assume that a) the Republicans in the Senate are smart enough to see this, b) that they give a poo poo about "damage to the brand", because no evidence suggests that a majority of them do at this point, and c) that they will even think it's worth the short-term political fallout to hop on board the impeachment train.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/RacismDog/status/1075162342718083072

The look on the little girl's face is on point

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah lol at the US being bound to any international treaty. No one on the world thinks the US is a good-faith actor

Not for the time being at the very least.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

The only way to run a successful primary against Trump is to adopt all his positions and rhetoric and dial it up to 11, and paint him as a failed businessman and a failed president who kept loving up and couldn't keep his promises.

Basically, it would have to be someone who is an even bigger crazy rear end in a top hat than him.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

this, it seems like they will lose either way. either they lose the election hard in 2020 with trump. or they take the bullet sooner and hope for the best in 2020 and possibly lose too.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Imagine thinking "leftism" is why Jill Stein supports Russia.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This is at least partially because foreign policy is very hard. You saw it even in this very thread!

VH4Ever posted:

Yeah I hear that, and the bad news is yeah, lots of people are going to die. That much seems unavoidable now, not to be cold and stoic about it. I guess I'd rather we not have the blood directly on our hands like we usually do, and until we come up with another way of doing business the choice seems to be stay out of it and not be responsible, or go in and be responsible. Decades of incompetence and imperialism has lead us here.

No matter what, basically anything you do in foreign policy as a hegemon will result in human suffering, and because you're a hegemon, even inaction is action. Having to take the position that x group of people suffering is necessary is easy for us to do on a dying comedy forum but it's no wonder left aligned politicians either avoid fopo like the plague, handwave it away with vague platitudes, or have actively bad foreign policy and get away with it because they have good domestic policy (looking at you, Tulsi). It's unfortunate, too, because it overlaps very poorly with the governmental structure of the US, where the presidency gets all the focus and yet has so much less power in domestic than foreign policy.

(Not to call you out here VH4Ever, sorry! It was just an easy example!)

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

They both heard that the other likes [chik] [pee]

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Taerkar posted:

Not for the time being at the very least.

Probably never again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

DLC Inc posted:

Does anyone have that old garrison comic that was like, the 2016 presidential bench and it was like packed with Republicans and then on the dems there was only Biden? I honestly want to see how many names on the GOP bench are still viable contenders.