Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

SubNat posted:

Huh, I can understand them being novel, but they aren't exactly pretty.

The tree itself wasn't much to look at but if you had one, you also had a color wheel light that you put a few feet away. As the wheel rotated, it shone different colors of light that sparkled on the aluminum needles. You also typically chose just one color of bauble, which looked somewhat elegant when the light wasn't running. Royal blue was popular with a silver tree.

They fit the whole mid-century modern aesthetic. I researched them some years ago when I started picking up mid-century furnishings at flea markets and from freecycle, but I never managed to score one. Lately it seems that all of that stuff is trendy again, with prices to match (unfortunately for me).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

POPS I'VE BOUGHT WINGS ISLAND FOR YOU HERE IS THE DEED

Barry, that's not what Wings Island gift certificate means. You utter moron. You stupid jock. What kind of a gift is that. I'm having my dick tattooed like a carrot for Gwen

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Tiggum posted:

Mary Worth

Got me good

And we're getting the Nanciana one-shot spinoff sooner rather than later, correct?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So Barry bought the dad a General Manager job somehow, right?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So who is the main character of Irrelevant Life anyway? I thought it was Skip, but the last month at least has been about Barry dealing with his relationship and X-mas gift buying issues? Last year (?) there was the whole plot about Pops being an army vet and also the father of the waitress that Barry is "almost kinda sorta" dating. And before that was the whole Gwen doing online dating for what seemed like an eternity.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

CzarChasm posted:

So who is the main character of Irrelevant Life anyway? I thought it was Skip, but the last month at least has been about Barry dealing with his relationship and X-mas gift buying issues? Last year (?) there was the whole plot about Pops being an army vet and also the father of the waitress that Barry is "almost kinda sorta" dating. And before that was the whole Gwen doing online dating for what seemed like an eternity.

It's an ensemble strip.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (May 27, 1997)

THAT song!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

She's adopted? The best friend is an illegitimate child? :confused:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

MariusLecter posted:

She's adopted? The best friend is an illegitimate child? :confused:

I think maybe she had cosmetic surgery and it's an old picture of her?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Tiggum posted:

I think maybe she had cosmetic surgery and it's an old picture of her?

That is it, exactly. There has been occasional drama over this sort of thing.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2011 Spiderman

The Amazing Control

Tracy's "Believe it or Not!"

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Sorry Mimi, you just got bumped for best new character of this story arc.

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

I believe that is my cue!

These are all great!

catlord posted:

I feel like you really need the panel prior to the 'Off with your head' one, ideally as a gif. So you see the dramatic cape swoosh.
That would also be good.

As would the last panel of Leila in today's strip.

Another rich source of av material of which goons might be unaware: the covers to the print editions. check out the one for the collected edition of this story, coming next year!

Or this slightly older one for The Case of The Forked Road:

If I hadn't just nabbed Swoop Lottie, I think I'd have grabbed Charlotte's Angels.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Selachian posted:

Groan and Cons

:catstare: nope nope nope nope nope

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

This strip is just...just absolutely amazing.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

:stare:

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

That's a fantastic Nancy panel.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Tiggum posted:

Mary Worth

This is a twist I did not see coming.

F Minus

I used to have a fake fireplace space heater. It wasn't bad. A little loud, but that's probably because it was old.

Macanudo

Mark Trail

Who the hell is this guy? No idea. When did Jose get there? No idea.

Mary Worth

I pictured this woman walking into his office in slo-mo to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jJkdRaa04g

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

:lol:

Rex Morgan MD

Jordan's going to sign up for therapy? He hasn't even tried substance abuse and thievery yet. :mad:

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

These are all great!

That would also be good.

As would the last panel of Leila in today's strip.

I have way too much fun making these.

If I knew how to make a gif like that, I would.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Pooch Café, Wallace the Brave, New Nancy and Bad Machinery are all amazing and that guy downthread who got to go meet the Wallace creator is super lucky.

I'm going to agree with the thread consensus on one big happy. I did like it at first but it's become "'I think this' - a little girl" - a 60 year old man. It's a shame, I guess it's always been there but I don't know why it's so noticeable now.
I'd also rather read intelligent life than Rhymes With Orange. At least it's not the wrong way around even if it's trite and stupid.

Also Tiggum's quiet edits of stuff are so good and so unexpected.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TofuDiva posted:

They fit the whole mid-century modern aesthetic. I researched them some years ago when I started picking up mid-century furnishings at flea markets and from freecycle, but I never managed to score one. Lately it seems that all of that stuff is trendy again, with prices to match (unfortunately for me).

Appropriately enough for this thread, their popularity dropped like a rock when the Peanut's Christmas Special first came out and shamed parents from buying them.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

I dunno, I feel like the guy protesting "But there's a waiting list!" while being tossed aside is a pretty big contender.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Haifisch posted:

Origins of the Sunday Comics

This is great :allears:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

I love this. Seriously, I love this dumb unicorn comic. Often it's just funny, but sometimes it puts out some real gems :3:

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Johnny Aztec posted:

This strip is just...just absolutely amazing.

That type of talk was still pretty standard and unchallenged not even 10 years ago though? Try reading through old Far Side comics some time and you'll come across plenty of things that are unintentionally awkward.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's more that in real life he left her for a younger woman.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Andy Capp

November 7, 1957

Heathcliff

Ballard Street

September 24, 2002

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Today's Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set doesn't respect privacy.

Working Daze is the same joke as yesterday.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is covering its rear end.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Ripley: The Original Troll

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I never did beat that Ripley's Believe it or not video game.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

"Maybe we should call the cops so an innocent man doesn't serve time for a crime he didn't commit?"

"Nah."

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

I suppose it's an uncharitable interpretation, but gently caress it, Zakour doesn't deserve charity: Is this implying Aquaman is not actually in the movie because Jason Momoa is, you know, not a blond white guy?

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

random Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Whoa, two decade flashback making me feel old as hell. :corsair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8H1bg65TaM

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Selachian posted:

I suppose it's an uncharitable interpretation, but gently caress it, Zakour doesn't deserve charity: Is this implying Aquaman is not actually in the movie because Jason Momoa is, you know, not a blond white guy?
I was just gonna say "yes, but probably not intentionally". But then I noticed how they use Aquaman's 70s costume design here and had no problems presenting a modern Batman design as "the" Batman yesterday, and... long story short I still think unintentionally but it probably plays a larger role than they're prepared to admit.

Alternatively: "Jason Momoa is not a blond white guy" is probably a talking point among terrible comics fans (tautology) and if you parrot racist talking points you don't get away with saying it was just for your comic's nerd cred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me