Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MightyJoe36 posted:

Exactly. In a broad sense, the First Amendment means that you can't be put in jail if you criticize the president. It does not mean that you can say anything, to anyone, at any time, with no consequences.

Exactly. It only means that if youre white and a nazi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tashilicious posted:

Exactly. It only means that if youre white and a nazi.

Recent precedent agrees. Perhaps you should become the next member of SCOTUS?

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Whitlam posted:

I can't remember where this thread currently sits on Sword and Scale, but I figure this might be of interest to some people.

Not that he's leaving Patreon or anything, he's just signing up for other site, too.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Whitlam posted:

I can't remember where this thread currently sits on Sword and Scale, but I figure this might be of interest to some people.

It's a podcast that gleefully put in audio of a man dying into one of their episodes. They're gross as hell.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Say what you will about Jones. He was really good at killing

I think I mentioned it a few pages back, but the LPoTL episodes about Jonestown (5 of them averaging about an hour and a half apiece) are very thorough and shed light on the most amazing thing about Jones: As a teen he could pinch his dick in such a way he could piss over the top of a house. Someone should have stepped in at that point because he already had too much power.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

MightyJoe36 posted:

Exactly. In a broad sense, the First Amendment means that you can't be put in jail if you criticize the president. It does not mean that you can say anything, to anyone, at any time, with no consequences.

The rich white guy version of the first amendment says that not only do you need to let them say whatever they want, you owe them polite attention and can't judge them afterwards for what they say.

Also gently caress Sword and Scale forever. Beyond what has already been said, he's got super lovely opinions on mental illness, and basically considers anyone with mental illness to be a ticking time bomb just waiting for an opportune moment to go axecrazy on anyone in swinging distance. Like, that's not an exaggeration. He thinks mentally ill people are literal monsters.

Also, he was (and maybe still is) banned from his own subreddit for all kinds of lovely behavior.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Untrustable posted:

I think I mentioned it a few pages back, but the LPoTL episodes about Jonestown (5 of them averaging about an hour and a half apiece) are very thorough and shed light on the most amazing thing about Jones: As a teen he could pinch his dick in such a way he could piss over the top of a house. Someone should have stepped in at that point because he already had too much power.

Also, as I learned from the same episodes, a huge mama's boy.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Untrustable posted:

I liked his humble beginnings as a door to door monkey salesman.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Necrothatcher posted:

I liked his humble beginnings as a door to door monkey salesman.

rip mr muggs

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's genuinely unnerving how a lot of his and the cult's early history genuinely sounds inviting. Early on he was big into social justice, he fought segregation, and the church offered something like an idyllic commune lifestyle. And over time the church got more and more manipulative, then abusive, and for some people by the time you realize you need to GTFO there's an armed band of church enforcers to make sure you fly to Guyana in time for your totally voluntary poisoning.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's genuinely unnerving how a lot of his and the cult's early history genuinely sounds inviting. Early on he was big into social justice, he fought segregation, and the church offered something like an idyllic commune lifestyle. And over time the church got more and more manipulative, then abusive, and for some people by the time you realize you need to GTFO there's an armed band of church enforcers to make sure you fly to Guyana in time for your totally voluntary poisoning.

It seems like his addictions to the various substances that were in his daily drug cocktail really was a primary cause for things spiraling so out of control. His paranoia seemed to increase exponentially as the addictions got worse and it's the paranoia that led to all the violence.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's a podcast that gleefully put in audio of a man dying into one of their episodes. They're gross as hell.
He apparently also outed a rape and kidnap victim of a serial killer.
Every time I feel like listening to S&S I go to their Reddit and read up on the all of the terrible poo poo Mike has been up to. The official Reddit is basically 90% call out threads.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Azathoth posted:

rip mr muggs

Gone too soon.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Sarcopenia posted:

:stonk:

Jesus gently caress.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Sarcopenia posted:

Every time I feel like listening to S&S I go to their Reddit and read up on the all of the terrible poo poo Mike has been up to. The official Reddit is basically 90% call out threads.

Honestly that's a pleasant surprise. Usually when a person who produces a popular thing turns out to be terrible, the communities based around the thing they make become havens for the people who agree with their terribleness or just can't bring themselves to care. JonTron comes to mind.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Who tf is john tron

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

GelatinSkeleton posted:

Who tf is john tron

He has a bird

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

He’s a guy who makes a popular thing who turned out to be a shithead. I really don’t know how I could have made that any more clear. If you want more info, just google “Jonathan Tronathan” which I assume is his full name.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
He made youtube videos. His videos were mostly about video games. That a video game youtuber turned out to be awful is, I'm sure, shocking to us all.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
JonTron was a little bigger deal since big Youtube gamers usually don't outright go full Stormfront "hey, I'm just saying black people do more crimes." They like to stick to heated gaming moments.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I've heard probably every true crime podcast in existence and always thought Sword and Scale was among the best (and that Casefile was poo poo.) That said, I just unsubscribed and am never going to listen to or say good things about Sword and Scale ever again, because of that.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

xtal posted:

(and that Casefile was poo poo.)

I was with you but WHAT NOW

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Casefile is really good

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
removed this post because, while unnerving, Mike Boudet discussion is too upsetting for the thread about mass murder

xtal has a new favorite as of 02:04 on Dec 20, 2018

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

video of the attack at the airport of the people leaving jonestown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJSv0gDPVLA

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

I asked for and got good recommendations for true crime podcasts in this thread, so I'm just rehashing what other people have said:

Casefile (Australian and other crimes)
They Walk Among Us (really good podcast about UK crimes)
Generation Why
Criminal

My biggest complaint about each of these is that they don't update often enough, so I guess that's a seal of approval. I really like Generation Why because it's two people calmly narrating crimes and discussing theories, but a lot of the episodes are like "and then this is totally unsolved and no one knows what happened," so it doesn't exactly leave you with a good feeling.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

RNG posted:

I asked for and got good recommendations for true crime podcasts in this thread, so I'm just rehashing what other people have said:

Generation Why
Criminal

My biggest complaint about each of these is that they don't update often enough, so I guess that's a seal of approval. I really like Generation Why because it's two people calmly narrating crimes and discussing theories, but a lot of the episodes are like "and then this is totally unsolved and no one knows what happened," so it doesn't exactly leave you with a good feeling.
I stopped listening to Generation Why when I heard an episode where they were really weird about race. Don't remember which one though and it was a long time ago.

I mentioned this one earlier in the thread but if you're missing S&S then besides those great podcasts above you should try out The Minds of Madness podcast.
They basically do the same thing. Narrate events, play relevant clips and interview people. The difference being that it's extremely respectful to the victims (who they often interview) and never gets that awful tabloid vibe that Mike revels in.
if you're looking for more audio clips and the courtroom part of cases I've heard a few episodes of the Court Junkie podcast and it seemed pretty good too.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.local10.com/news/florida/miami-dade/video-shows-man-collapse-after-being-struck-by-stray-bullet-at-holiday-party

warning about the video, the guy died.

RNG posted:

Generation Why
Criminal

True Crime Garage
Happy Face
MFM (if you're more into comedy style)
Dr Death
Teacher's Pet

...some of these are more of seasonal/serial like

Plinkey has a new favorite as of 02:26 on Dec 21, 2018

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Dr death is really good, and quite disturbing

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
In general I would look out for new true crime podcasts on the Wondery network. Their production is generally good.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Holy poo poo, that sucks.

Christabel
Apr 18, 2003

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.

StrixNebulosa posted:

If that's the one where they play the audio from those Eastern European teens stabbing people with a screwdriver/hammer - I just hit that one and stopped listening completely. It felt bad.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.wftv.com/news/national-news/ap-top-news/pediatrician-admits-to-assaulting-dozens-of-young-patients/892045886

A pediatrician in Pennsylvania faced charges 20 years ago for sexually assaulting children, only for the case to get dropped by regulators. Surprise, he kept assaulting children.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

https://www.wftv.com/news/national-news/ap-top-news/pediatrician-admits-to-assaulting-dozens-of-young-patients/892045886

A pediatrician in Pennsylvania faced charges 20 years ago for sexually assaulting children, only for the case to get dropped by regulators. Surprise, he kept assaulting children.

quote:

Nearly two decades after Pennsylvania state regulators let him off the hook, a former pediatrician admitted in court Thursday that he sexually assaulted 31 children, most of them patients.

This is terrible and extremely upsetting. How did this go on for decades? This monster molested scores of children and he was just allowed to do it forever. I don't understand this world.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
We had black people to arrest on bogus drug charges, there's no time for white rich guys molesting kids to be put through the justice system or have their licenses that say it's safe to trust them with your kids revoked.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Old story, but I missed it

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...o-find-50.shtml

:randstare:

My mom cursed out a teacher for making my little brother pull up his shirt to "prove he wasn't sagging his pants", and all he showed was his belly. She may have stabbed somebody if they did my sister like that

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

I always go back and forth about whether I think the death penalty is good or not, but every child molester makes me wish it was also a capital offense while I make up my mind.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

An excellent video about Terry Davis, the creator of a home-made Operating System called TempleOS. Davis was a fundamentalist who believed he could speak with God through his OS. He was also schizophrenic and frequent to racist-outbursts. Due warning as the subject-matter is intense, close-to-home, and very tragic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCgoxQCf5Jg

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Inspector Gesicht posted:

An excellent video about Terry Davis, the creator of a home-made Operating System called TempleOS. Davis was a fundamentalist who believed he could speak with God through his OS. He was also schizophrenic and frequent to racist-outbursts. Due warning as the subject-matter is intense, close-to-home, and very tragic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCgoxQCf5Jg

BTW I want to reiterate dude was that special brand of mentally ill racist where his screeds about computer programming suddenly turn to shouting the n word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Mental illness is a helluva drug. Didn't he register here once to yell in the yospos templeOS thread or was that just a troll account?