Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013
New chapter is up:
https://tonarinoyj.jp/episode/10834108156638488597

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

haha you can still see big rear end crater on the moon from when Saitama jumped from it during his Boros fight. Great attention to detail.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Knowing that people aren't really digging this as much as they used to because of the humor being lost- since fights aren't half a panel long anymore- kinda puts a damper on things for me.

I knew I should've kept avoiding reddit.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

RareAcumen posted:

Knowing that people aren't really digging this as much as they used to because of the humor being lost- since fights aren't half a panel long anymore- kinda puts a damper on things for me.

I knew I should've kept avoiding reddit.

You should never let the opinions of stupid people keep you from enjoying good things.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I actually think the long, drawn out fights kind of bring Saitama's dealings into sharp focus. Makes it kinda funnier, to me.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

EimiYoshikawa posted:

You should never let the opinions of stupid people keep you from enjoying good things.

Oh don't worry, normally I don't. But this is a new one and now I feel bad about it because I'm just learning about it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Waiting for each chapter as it's released does stretch the original's jokes out quite a bit.

Binge-reading the jokes aren't stretched too far out.

So there's that.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

The jokes that we do get are still great. Like Flashy Flash walking down the hallway.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
I liked the lower ranked hero looking at his dinky little knife and wondering why he's even there.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I liked it when Olympic lady crushed watermelon-monsters with her thighs lol

Also, action has been integral to the comic from the start. People saying it needs more comedy seem to forget that the climax to a long arc was the fight with Saitama and Boros which was basically just a straight up, awesome fight and everyone raved about it

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Monaghan posted:

haha you can still see big rear end crater on the moon from when Saitama jumped from it during his Boros fight. Great attention to detail.

:master: loving Murata, man.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
wow cool thighs.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
https://mangadex.org/chapter/502771/1

and this is why Child Emperor is an S-Rank.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Hellsau posted:

I wish Murata would draw a robo series. This is so cool.

Pretty awesome the ninja bros showed up again as well.

skaianDestiny posted:

I liked the lower ranked hero looking at his dinky little knife and wondering why he's even there.

That tiny joke works so well in the setting and the chapter itself.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Murata is an S-class mangaka.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll echo my opinion that I hate how the jokes are stretched super thin and this is more like a regular shounen at times than the satire that OPM was.

However that is offset greatly by how good the spectacle is, goddamn it Murata.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Hellsau posted:

:stare: murata is a monster

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I sure hope no-one happened to be standing above the fight. That'd look bad for Child Emperor's rating...

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I like Phoenix Man and hope he turns this around.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
He's gonna die but then resurrect into AN EVEN MORE POWERFUL FORM

At which point Saitama will walk by and onepunch him

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Zark the Damned posted:

I sure hope no-one happened to be standing above the fight. That'd look bad for Child Emperor's rating...

City Z is a ghost town, especially near Saitama's apartment. So massive collateral damage is A-okay. :v

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
I enjoy the serious tone around most of the sidecharacters because it's what makes Saitama such a comedic foil. The typical shonen trope is that the plucky underdog who cares more than anyone eventually succeeds but in this manga that character would be Mumen Rider. If it weren't for how seriously they take themselves, and how hard they struggle when the focus is on them, then Saitama's blase attitude wouldn't have the same effect.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Goddamn. Just goddamn.

Just one big rear end Kamehameha Wave and he made it look glorious.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Pheonix Man loving rules

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

skaianDestiny posted:

City Z is a ghost town, especially near Saitama's apartment. So massive collateral damage is A-okay. :v

The collateral damage is fine, I'm more concerned about other heroes who may have been obliterated...

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zark the Damned posted:

The collateral damage is fine, I'm more concerned about other heroes who may have been obliterated...

Oh no, Child Emperor killed athlete woman!

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

RareAcumen posted:

Oh no, Child Emperor killed athlete woman!

That would be enough to make me rip out my hair and rend my garments

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mizuki would simply crush the energy blast with her thighs

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
...you know, the subterraneans we saw didn't look nearly as beefy as the corpses here...

Was that a child refugee caravan? :stonk:

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
I think those are our old friends the Earth Clan from the early chapters, who presumably lived there before the monsters killed them and moved in.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Weren't the giant subterranians only in Saitama's dream?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

graham cracker posted:

Weren't the giant subterranians only in Saitama's dream?

The powerful ones, yeah. But they still did exist in real life and they were Disaster Level Bowling Ball as it turned out.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I'm saying that the actual living subterraneans we saw after Saitama's dream looked pretty runty compared to all the corpses we see here. Although I guess their king was still bigger than Saitama.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Tarezax posted:

I'm saying that the actual living subterraneans we saw after Saitama's dream looked pretty runty compared to all the corpses we see here. Although I guess their king was still bigger than Saitama.

You’re right, this is wildly inconsistent and I think murata needs to do another redraw :shepspends:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Billzasilver posted:

You’re right, this is wildly inconsistent and I think murata needs to do another redraw :shepspends:

I think its better if those were the last survivors who were lead there by the king while the warriors held off the monster emperor long enough for the evac... and then saitama borks their glorious god king with a single tap.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Here's a thought: The small Subterraneans were the children.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Elentor posted:

I'll echo my opinion that I hate how the jokes are stretched super thin and this is more like a regular shounen at times than the satire that OPM was.

However that is offset greatly by how good the spectacle is, goddamn it Murata.

Child Emperor is fighting a monster who started as a dude in a bird costume for TV who never took it off and eventually turned into a phoenix and it's being played completely straight, how is that not satire?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I never said it was not satire. Yes this is still a satire manga. I just said that the satire is stretched thin, we already get Phoenix Man, the overly long action doesn't add to that anymore at this point, for a lot of panels it's just a regular shounen fight that's wacky but not any wackier than some fights other shounens have put out in the past. I just don't find it particularly as funny as the original pacing was and the point of this saga was more straightforward.

The Phoenix Man gag at this point has been done to death - it's funny, yes, but I already get it that people become monsters for stupid reasons. In the webcomic the pacing of this arc took that in consideration and got to the point which was someone with a different motivation for being a monster, and failing about it because he half-assed and wanted to be a hero deep inside. For the same reason we see OPM less and less (we already "get" what his point in the manga is so there's no reason to show him as much as the other heroes in this arc) we already know that monsters are people who often become monsters for stupid reasons. The ninja monsters in the webcomic are a one panel throwaway joke.

Like I said this doesn't stop me from appreciating Murata's ride for what it is, it's just definitely not the same, whether it's him or ONE who's writing this arc. At the end of the day I like OPM, both versions, because they're pure unadultered fun, but I don't see them as the same kind of fun, just different.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 20, 2018

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

The pacing of the original sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It was okay pacing for a gag comic.