Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I don't know how many of you care about Yokai Watch 3, which comes out in PAL-land today, but Level-5 confirmed that the version being released in the west is an enhanced version of the third version (Sukiyaki) that'll let you find all the yokai in game.

Wow. People say that Namco left Katamari out to die by releasing it today, but this one really feels like they're trying to wash their hands out of localizing any more Yokai Watch.

Ironic that the game that takes place in America comes out there last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't know how many of you care about Yokai Watch 3, which comes out in PAL-land today, but Level-5 confirmed that the version being released in the west is an enhanced version of the third version (Sukiyaki) that'll let you find all the yokai in game.

I'll tell you how much I care about yokai watch. I have a framed picture of Nate signed by Johnny Yong Bosch.

at a con my kid was too shy to say hi to him, and he gave me a free signed photo to give him

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Detective No. 27 posted:

Wow. People say that Namco left Katamari out to die by releasing it today, but this one really feels like they're trying to wash their hands out of localizing any more Yokai Watch.

Ironic that the game that takes place in America comes out there last.

Anything on the 3DS is just running out the clock at this point, so it's not as poor a choice.

Monk E
May 19, 2009

That's good news I was worried it would end up being like Dragon Warrior Monsters Joker 2 where they never bothered localizing the enhanced version.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yokai Watch 3 is receiving glowing reviews (at whatever few places still review 3DS games), described as a huge improvement over the past games. If you played the first and were a bit meh, you probably should check it out. I will after I receive my copy.

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Yea despite liking 2 it definitely felt more like an expansion of the original than a full blown sequel it sounds like they put a bit more effort into 3's new features.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ausgoons

Target seems to be purging their backlog of unsold older games, and part of this round is Pokemon Moon for $10AUD. Sun's probably the same price.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The 3DS probably still has some fight left in it, especially given it's in the DS's position now of having a colossal back catalogue that's currently plentiful and cheap to get.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The 3DS probably still has some fight left in it, especially given it's in the DS's position now of having a colossal back catalogue that's currently plentiful and cheap to get.

Nah, it's really riding on inertia at this point. Stores are clearing out their 3DS stock and shrinking their shelf space as best they can, it's just that there's an absolute shitload of the drat things (nevermind the games) still in the back rooms of retail stores world-wide. Same exact thing happened with the PS2.

If the 3DS really had any life left in it, Luigi's Mansion 3 would've been a 3DS game instead of a Switch title.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Anybody have a suggestion for a decent grip that doesnt look like rear end? Im playing through Return of Samus and my hands are cramping up

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

TheHoosier posted:

Anybody have a suggestion for a decent grip that doesnt look like rear end? Im playing through Return of Samus and my hands are cramping up

Is it the n3ds xl? If so the Dreamgear comfort grip feels good but don't get it if you plan on taking your sd card out. It's kind of a pain to take off and put on.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00UJ9LB6Y/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've stopped using mine since starting to dabble in modding. I have another that I'm not sure where I got it from. It's ok but the 3ds just kind of sits in and doesn't snap so it's loose and wobbles. I thought I got it from Amazon but cant find the order to link it.

Edit: I think the one I use now is this one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B018VAEXD0/ref=sspa_mw_detail_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

TheHoosier posted:

My wife swears by this one, which doesn't look like rear end if you have the black-and-blue 2DS

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ausgoons

Amazon Australia has Metallic Blue and Metallic Black new3DSXL's for $99AUD.

They also have Pokeball new2DS's for $80AUD.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

My wife swears by this one, which doesn't look like rear end if you have the black-and-blue 2DS

That looks like that one I have. Just be aware that after about two weeks its going to lose the "snap" that holds it in and will be pretty loose. Still usable and comfortable as long as you dont mind the occasional wobble

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Has anybody here had their battery go bad? I pulled my 3DS off the charger for the first time in a few months yesterday and the battery died within minutes. And every time I turned it back on it would die quickly. I read online that letting the battery run out then charging it to full while turned off a few times might cycle the battery and fix it but I literally can’t run out the battery, it won’t stay on long enough to drain.

Has anyone had to change their battery? Does it do anything to the system memory? Should I be worried about losing any data? I have a 32gb SD card with most of my data on it but I’m sure some save data is still on the system memory. I’m not super thrilled about buying a new battery but it’s cheaper than replacing the whole system I guess.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm pretty sure that changing the battery won't do anything to your system memory, and nothing besides DSiWare is saved to system memory, anyways. The 3DS' internal storage is the same kind of stuff as a flash drive or SD Card, iirc. But all game and save data for 3DS software is stored on the SD Card.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My New 3DS battery went bad, and I've seen several other people in this thread say the same thing. I just bought a new battery, popped it in, and everything was fine.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Has anybody here had their battery go bad? I pulled my 3DS off the charger for the first time in a few months yesterday and the battery died within minutes. And every time I turned it back on it would die quickly. I read online that letting the battery run out then charging it to full while turned off a few times might cycle the battery and fix it but I literally can’t run out the battery, it won’t stay on long enough to drain.

Has anyone had to change their battery? Does it do anything to the system memory? Should I be worried about losing any data? I have a 32gb SD card with most of my data on it but I’m sure some save data is still on the system memory. I’m not super thrilled about buying a new battery but it’s cheaper than replacing the whole system I guess.

My battery went bad about a year ago. When I opened up the back, I saw it was swelling. I replaced it. It works fine now. It didn't affect the system memory at all. Just don't save data while the device can lose power (i.e. when it's unplugged), and you'll be fine.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

My New 3DS battery went bad, and I've seen several other people in this thread say the same thing. I just bought a new battery, popped it in, and everything was fine.

Yeah mine was terrible. Just realized I ordered a replacement that hasn't shown up yet.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Thanks for the responses, I am going to order a new battery today.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You want to assess the situation before you disconnect the actual battery. Nothing actually important has been saved to battery-backed memory since the GBC, but if you get the swap done fast enough it won't reset the not-important things either. Do yourself a big favor and avoid a Shenzhen Special battery and get something from a somewhat reliable brand.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think at most you'll have to reset the time and date. Maybe. I don't remember anything getting affected by my battery swap.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

loudog999 posted:

Is it the n3ds xl? If so the Dreamgear comfort grip feels good but don't get it if you plan on taking your sd card out. It's kind of a pain to take off and put on.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00UJ9LB6Y/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I impulse bought this case at Fry’s after occasionally contemplating it on Amazon, it’s ugly as hell but very comfortable. It should be bundled with all copies of Monster Hunter. And, it doubles as a crash pad for the bottom of your 3DS if you ever drop it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I took my bad battery out of my 3DS and it had swollen and ballooned out in the middle :stare: I’m glad I replaced it

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Gonna buy myself something on my 3DS wish list as a Christmas present ahead of an overseas trip, help me out goons-
WarioWare Gold ($40)
Luigi's Mansion 1 ($40)
SteamWorld Dig 2 ($20)
SteamWorld Heist ($15)

Definitely want to get WarioWare eventually but it seems like an awful airplane game, or an awful game to play in public in general.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

C-Euro posted:

Gonna buy myself something on my 3DS wish list as a Christmas present ahead of an overseas trip, help me out goons-
WarioWare Gold ($40)
Luigi's Mansion 1 ($40)
SteamWorld Dig 2 ($20)
SteamWorld Heist ($15)

Definitely want to get WarioWare eventually but it seems like an awful airplane game, or an awful game to play in public in general.

I’d go WarioWare still. It was my airplane game a few months ago and it worked well for that.:)

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Rencently had a 20 hours total Montreal to Seoul flight and i finished luigi's mansion AND wario ware, both were enjoyable!

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Well drat, I hope you're wrong. I adore this weird rear end series and everything I've seen of YW4 looks dope as hell.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
YW3 coming out in Europe on Smash day wasn't them washing their hands of it, exactly, the series sells okay in Europe and that was them trying to get it out in time for xmas, and that was probably the only practical time to do it.

Nintendo signed on to bring over a lot of Yokai Watch games and they just couldn't bring them out fast enough - if they'd skipped the spinoffs and started releasing the all-in-one versions before now they probably could have had YW3 out ages ago.

I don't know if Nintendo will bother coming back for YW4 or other games but Level-5 can always self-publish - they have a US branch that handles localisation and they self-published the most recent Layton game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

YW3 coming out in Europe on Smash day wasn't them washing their hands of it, exactly, the series sells okay in Europe and that was them trying to get it out in time for xmas, and that was probably the only practical time to do it.

Nintendo signed on to bring over a lot of Yokai Watch games and they just couldn't bring them out fast enough - if they'd skipped the spinoffs and started releasing the all-in-one versions before now they probably could have had YW3 out ages ago.

I don't know if Nintendo will bother coming back for YW4 or other games but Level-5 can always self-publish - they have a US branch that handles localisation and they self-published the most recent Layton game.

It really depends how fast retailers try to be shot of the 3DS. They're already getting pretty desperate to kick the last of their stock out the doors, but there's just so drat much of it everywhere.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Heyo, thread. Quite a while ago, not sure if it was even this year, I broke my thumbstick off my old 3DS, then lost it. Then I found it, and lost it again. Odds are good that I vacuumed it up sometime since.

So, what are my options?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Chop off your thumbs.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Dr Christmas posted:

Heyo, thread. Quite a while ago, not sure if it was even this year, I broke my thumbstick off my old 3DS, then lost it. Then I found it, and lost it again. Odds are good that I vacuumed it up sometime since.

So, what are my options?

Probably a good time to upgrade to a 2DS XL. They're plentiful at retailers right now. 2DS regular are out as well. Many retailers also still have the New 3DS/3ds XL in stock because they were only very recently discontinued.

If you're against paying full price for these, if you live near or in a major metro area, Facebook Marketplace has tons of these.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Dr Christmas posted:

So, what are my options?

https://www.shapeways.com/product/76RHQ7ZEW/3dstick-metal-3ds-circle-pad

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles
A while ago, I turned on my 3DS for the first time in ages. It seemed to take a really long time to boot up, and when in a game, take a really long time to get back to the home screen.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

greententacle posted:

A while ago, I turned on my 3DS for the first time in ages. It seemed to take a really long time to boot up, and when in a game, take a really long time to get back to the home screen.

That can be perfectly normal if it's been 6mo or so. Leave it plugged in, on and online and see if that fixes it?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Also, if you have a large SD Card it can exacerbate that. My New 3DS has a 128GB micro SD and it takes a comparatively long time to boot.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Despite owning it since it launched on the Wii, I've never played more than a few hours into Xenoblade Chronicles. I have the Wii on WiiU version and loaded my save in that a few days ago. I'm really tempted to pick up the 3DS port just so I can play it more portable. Either that or bring my WiiU with me over Christmas. :v: To be fair, I could bring it with me and just play it on the gamepad (which is mostly how I'm playing it right now anyway). I just wish it wasn't still full price. I might wait and see if there's a sale over Christmas.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

irlZaphod posted:

Despite owning it since it launched on the Wii, I've never played more than a few hours into Xenoblade Chronicles. I have the Wii on WiiU version and loaded my save in that a few days ago. I'm really tempted to pick up the 3DS port just so I can play it more portable. Either that or bring my WiiU with me over Christmas. :v: To be fair, I could bring it with me and just play it on the gamepad (which is mostly how I'm playing it right now anyway). I just wish it wasn't still full price. I might wait and see if there's a sale over Christmas.

You’d probably be better off playing it semi-portably through the Wii U. The game looks like a lovely mess on 3DS. It’s impressive they got it to work as well as it did in the first place but not the ideal way to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah I know it looks noticeably worse, but to be fair it doesn't look great in the first place.