Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I think grip weed was making fun of what demisexuals claim to be, not so much their name. I don't think it's too out of line to say it's insulting to real minority groups to say anyone can be considered an oppressed minority as long as they make up a name for their sexuality/gender/etc and pick flag colors and say they are an oppressed minority online. Like people saying they identify as an attack helicopter is a stupid thing to say for a reason - nobody actually feels that way, just like nobody truly feels they are shunned from society because they treat romance like everyone else. The "but sometimes I don't" aspect of it doesn't count as an exception to the norm. It's like saying you have a dietary problem because you're hungry, but other times you aren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Queen Combat posted:

My take goes towards the general sentiment of the thread, if not the specifics. "LOL who's even heard of anybody getting murdered for that? Why are they part of the LGBTQ family?"

That's a total bullshit take, and the thread has already devolved into "let's look up minority groups and make fun of their names."

Good job, guys. You did it.

Quit discriminating against shitpostersexuals you loving fascist

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Or non-loving fascist, let's try to be inclusive.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I don't really give a gently caress how people describe themselves.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

docbeard posted:

I don't really give a gently caress how people describe themselves.

straight white cis male opinion incoming

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Straight people shouldn't have strong opinions on what is and is not considered queer

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Yeah, usually people that claim to be demisexual dramatically overestimate how much casual sex other people have from what I've seen. Most people aren't heading to the bar to gently caress somebody new with no strings attached every weekend but you get shut ins assuming that's the default these days. Most people prefer loving people they have an emotional attachment to so demi isn't some minority like homosexuality is.

I wonder how many of them also feel guilty about being straight or feel left out when LBGT conversations are happening.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I don't think I've ever encountered a sapiosexual who wasn't a social Darwinist or Jordan Peterson fan.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Saagonsa posted:

Straight people shouldn't have strong opinions on what is and is not considered queer

I only have a strong opinion on demisexual is that ok

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

christmas boots posted:

I only have a strong opinion on demisexual is that ok

As a certified gay I'm going to ok you

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Saagonsa posted:

a mouths a mouth

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

As a certified gay I'm going to ok you

thank you your honor

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Henchman of Santa posted:

I don't think I've ever encountered a sapiosexual who wasn't a social Darwinist or Jordan Peterson fan.

sapiosexuals are only attracted to smart people but they consider watching Doctor Who to be a sign of intelligence.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Saagonsa posted:

as an oxysexual (I am only attracted to people who breathe oxygen, but coincidentally not dudes) I agree 100%. it's bad enough that the heterosexual majority has oppressed me for my "deviant lifestyle" but now so-called allies are attacking me too.

i am disgusted by the crab bucket mentality within the lgbt community, they should move the focus away from "mainstream" orientations like being gay or trans and give more of a voice to truly marginalized minorites such as myself.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Gripweed posted:

sapiosexuals are only attracted to smart people but they consider watching Doctor Who to be a sign of intelligence.

What if you're only attracted to smart people but think Doctor Who is deeply overrated on the best day?

Straight White Shark posted:

but coincidentally not dudes
This opinion is neither unpopular nor incorrect.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tubgoat posted:

What if you're only attracted to smart people but think Doctor Who is deeply overrated on the best day?
This opinion is neither unpopular nor incorrect.

then you're just a person with standards, which to be fair might in fact be a minority group among goons.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Extremely niche opinion: the people who say they cry to boygenius (or their members' solo music) and the people who say the new Daughters album is "disturbing" are both being performative and dramatic.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Those aren’t real bands you made that up

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

christmas boots posted:

Those aren’t real bands you made that up

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
You guys these are on every publication's year end list, come on

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Which ones? :raise:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Tubgoat posted:

Certainly not Billboard's Top 200 year-end list!

Although the Beatles made it somehow.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julien_Baker#boygenius

I had to google this and she's not quite three years younger than me which I guess means 2018 is the year I officially become old and out of touch. At least I'm not as old as the rest of you.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tubgoat posted:

Stereogum, Pitchfork, AV Club and Noisey off the top of my head all have at least one of them. You could substitute boygenius for the somewhat more popular Mitski because she has the same performatively weepy male fans.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Ok Mitski I know

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I haven't heard of that band either. I feel like I'm not missing out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julien_Baker#boygenius

I had to google this and she's not quite three years younger than me which I guess means 2018 is the year I officially become old and out of touch. At least I'm not as old as the rest of you.

I haven't heard of this "slowcore" genre before. It doesn't sound terribly exciting.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tubgoat posted:

Mitski is a person and she's pretty good.

God PYF is worlds apart from NMD.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Tubgoat posted:

All you really need is The Righteous Brothers

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I feel like the singers/bands you are combining should need to actually be well-known to unironically call yourself a "supergroup".

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I'll check 'em both out. Thanks!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I feel like the singers/bands you are combining should need to actually be well-known to unironically call yourself a "supergroup".

There has literally been one supergroup ever, The Travelling Wilburries.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Henchman of Santa posted:

Mitski is a person and she's pretty good.

God PYF is worlds apart from NMD.

Music snobs are the WORST though.

I play bass pretty often with my actually talented friends, viola, and all of the main low brasses but I don't even know how to respond to "so what kind of music do you like"

And I like it that way.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I like the song Word Up by Cameo, and no other song ever.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I play bass pretty often with my actually talented friends, viola, and all of the main low brasses but I don't even know how to respond to "so what kind of music do you like"

And I like it that way.

We do suck but the stuff we like is really good I swear! And NMD is very chill and unsnobby besides a few posters.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

And I like it that way.

There was a goon who said every time she goes on a blind/internet date, she always tells the dude "I only listen to Rap, Country, and Top-40" and she's continually surprised how pissy and flustered they get. So that's my go-to answer.

Also Electric Six is the best band.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
AT THE GAY BAR
GAY BAR
GAY BAR

That is a super good answer to weed out folks who lack of a sense of humor, which is slightly worse than liking those genres.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
My favorite music is hardcore Tuvan throat singing.

What makes it hardcore? Nudity, and they don't use their throats.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
The obsession in creating hyper-specific subgroups (music genres, sexualities, etc) is most likely going to end up being a very bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ommin posted:

The obsession in creating hyper-specific subgroups (music genres, sexualities, etc) is most likely going to end up being a very bad idea.

Pfft, you obviously don't understand real music. I only listen to subliminal trance hop house monkeycore. It's the pinnacle of music, which you obviously know nothing about. It's played best at 3000 BPM on a record player balanced on top of a chunk of diorite.